Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:09 PM

Default What I did to my Shotguns.

I have posted most of this in various threads but I am going to post it all on one thread so people can see what I did based on my experiences in 5 Tactical Shotgun Classes and shooting 3 gun shoots with these Mossberg 500's. Everything is directly applicable to M590's and 590 A1's, and most of it will work on Rem 870's and others as well.

The first two classes were brutal, and I came home beat up pretty bad. By the Third Class I had the gun pretty much sussed out and had a Decent Idea of what to do with it.

This stuff works and was arrived at by Trial and Error from both the classes and local 3 gun shoots. It could save you a lot of bruises.

The guns are a 20" Tactical M500 7+1 and a 18.5" HD M500. Both guns are set up exactly the same way except the HD gun doesn't ordinarily have a sling attached, but it does have the capability.

Both guns have Open Rifle Sights and I like the Green Williams Fiber Optic Front Sights because in the sunlight they are impossible to miss. At night with a light on the gun they are also impossible to miss. Unfortunately the Front Sight on the Barrel of the HD gun is solid, and I haven't figured out a way to install one on it yet. I have them on Rifles, Pistols and 2 shotguns.

Both guns have Brownells High Ridge Safeties installed and they were dehorned as using them in their stock form would result in Bloody Thumbs. One significant advantage of the Mossberg platform over others is the placement of the safety which makes the gun Ambidextrous.

Both guns have Magpul Furniture Black on one and Gray on the other, and both guns have the Magpul to Remington Recoil Pad Adapters and Pads. These pads are much larger and squishier than the pad that comes with the Magpul stocks. Also to insure a more squared up stance to the target all the Stock Spacers are absent. LOP is 12.5". I am 5'11" These stocks and Fore ends have the best Ergonomics for operating a shotgun I have seen, and are well worth the $100 or so bucks. They are easy to install and adjust to your body type.

Both guns have been completely internally deburred and run very smooth. Can't really show that, but trust me, they run slick.

Continued on next Post.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464676.jpg (51.8 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 100465114.jpg (44.8 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 100464914.JPG (73.9 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 100464706.JPG (67.0 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 100465117.jpg (33.2 KB, 272 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-25-2020 at 5:29 PM..
Old 09-25-2020, 12:21 PM

Continued from above...

Both guns have Brown Coat Tactical 6 round Velcro Side Saddles attached to the left side of the receiver. They can be removed from the gun in seconds and replaced in seconds as well. With one on the gun and 2 in your pocket with a loaded gun you'll have 24-26 rounds available to deal with whatever. These are among the best quality products of this type I have seen and the price is right. They come in 2,4,6,and 8 hole versions.

Slings: I make my own slings out of 1.5" wide Nylon Belting just like 5.11 TDU Belts are made from. These are wider than normal and spread the load of the gun out over a larger area so as to decrease the fatigue of a thinner strap.

They are held to the gun using Grove-Tec Limited Rotation Quick Disconnect Swivel Sockets, threaded into the holes in the sides of the stock.
When carrying the gun Cross Body the sling is attached to the outside socket which then keeps the gun pulled into you while standing as opposed to falling away from you. If Conventional Carry is used then the sling is attached to the left side of the stock so once again the gun is held against you while carrying. In either case the gun lays flat against you and requires the least amount on hands on to maintain control of it.

Weapons Lights: both guns have a 3" piece of Pic Rail mounted under the Fore End for mounting a Streamlight TLR-1. You need a light on an HD gun because you will probably need it most at night so you don't shoot your wife or kids. I like these because they are as good or better than anything else out there and reasonably priced. They also are easily removed as you don't need them in the day time.

Now one of the big items: Both guns have had their barrels modified with the Vang Comp Process. www.vangcomp.com . This process consists of lengthening the Forcing Cone in front of the chamber to 3". Backboring the barrel to .745, and the reamer used has the last 2" tapering back down to .730. Also Porting consisting of 62 holes which reduces muzzle rise.

This improves the patterning of Buckshot dramatically. Both guns Pattern Regular 00 Buckshot into 7" at 25 yards which makes Buckshot viable out to 50 yards. This also spreads out the recoil impulse over a longer time and reduces "Perceived Recoil". These guns are a joy to shoot and I can easily shoot 200 rounds in a day with no after effects wearing Shorts and a Tee Shirt.

Now the last item,,, Ammo: There is no need for anything more powerful for HD or actual "Tactical" use, than Regular LOW RECOIL Buckshot or Slugs. I use Federal mostly or my own loaded ammo. For Target Use in the classes we use Walmart 12 ga #8 birdshot loads which are normally $21.74/100,,, hard to beat .22 cents a round. I prefer the Federal Ammo as the crimps are finished better than the Winchester ammo which aids in feeding, but either will suffice.

This is what I do to my Shotguns. You can feel free to use any of my suggestions or all of them, but know this. I am super finicky about all my guns and the way that they interact with my body. I spend lots of time just fondling them and finding all the little hotspots that in a intense training environment will come to the surface and wear holes in you and make you miserable or just annoy the hell out of you.

All these improvements were arrived at after finding inadequacies in previous setups, Strictly Trial and Error. After 5, 2 and 4 day Shotgun Classes at Front Sight and approximately 70+ hours of training. I can go thru a class and not have any bruises or holes worn thru my skin or any discomfort whatsoever. I never wear more than a Tee shirt and Shorts at these classes.

All this started as a result of touching off a couple of High Base Slugs from behind a bale of hay at a local 3 Gun Shoot which resulted in 3 trips to my Chiropractor to get a rib put back in. I swore I was not going to let my ignorance of Combat Shotgun Technique and Setup to persist. I got training and lots of it. My guns evolved to the point where they are a "Joy to Shoot" and don't hurt me. Your's can be like this too, but it is more than just modifying the gun, You need the training to go with IT!!! www.frontsight.com

Nobody was born knowing how to do anything, you need to be taught everything. That's why we have Parents and Schools!

What this Set Up does for me, is allow me to concentrate on the techniques of gun handling and accuracy that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on with lesser prepared guns. Your guns will evolve just as mine did until you won't be worrying about recoil or any kind of pain. You can’t concentrate on training if you are getting the snot beat out of you every time you pull the trigger. Also going to one class and thinking you are set for life is pretty short sighted. You will need several runs thru to get it as muscle memory takes time to soak in.

I'm going to #6 soon! And I come back seriously better each time. Also Shotgun Classes are by far the most fun, nothing like blasting away at a steel target 15 yards away and seeing it get punished and knowing what kind of power you are dishing out.

Life is too short to put up with ill fitting, or poorly prepared guns.

Hope this helps some of you figure out how to set up these guns.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464709.jpg (39.9 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg 100464208.JPG (60.2 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg 100465116.jpg (43.4 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 100464710.jpg (39.2 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 100464742.JPG (71.8 KB, 263 views)

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-06-2020 at 9:06 AM..
Old 11-06-2020, 6:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Question

Is that light mountable at 3 o'clock without interfering with the action?

I'm not keen on bolt-on lights on a shotgun. Is there a custom forend with built-in light available for that model?

Looking sharp, otherwise!
Old 11-06-2020, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
I have posted most of this in various threads but I am going to post it all on one thread so people can see what I did based on my experiences in 5 Tactical Shotgun Classes and shooting 3 gun shoots with these Mossberg 500's. Everything is directly applicable to M590's and 590 A1's, and most of it will work on Rem 870's and others as well.
With the modified barrel - Vang Comp - You just bumped your self up to open in 3 gun. I found out that the hard way.

Well thought out platforms you assembled.

Last edited by Olderfart; 11-06-2020 at 7:11 AM..
Old 11-06-2020, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Is that light mountable at 3 o'clock without interfering with the action?

I'm not keen on bolt-on lights on a shotgun. Is there a custom forend with built-in light available for that model?

Looking sharp, otherwise!
WW: yes you could mount the pic rail at 3, 6 or 9 o'clock, and yes Surefire makes a fore end with an integral light, and like all Surefire Products it is priced about 3 times higher than what it is worth, or in this case @$300.

I like the Streamlight and Pic Rail route because the light is easily removable when you don't need it and works well at night. Also it is run by a Treadle Switch on the back of the light which is momentary contact one way and full on the other way.

When using a light at night you need to shut the light off as you come down to the Ready Position. If you don't, the light traces a line on the ground right back to you, so incoming fire can easily locate you. This is where the Momentary Contact feature really works well.

Randy

Old 11-06-2020, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderfart View Post
With the modified barrel - Vang Comp - You just bumped your self up to open in 3 gun. I found out that the hard way.

Well thought out platforms you assembled.
OF: I compete at a much lower level, and there isn't an open class at my local shoot. However if I went to Piru and shot out there, and had to be in the Open Class it wouldn't bother me as I don't have any illusions of winning anything at a shoot like that, so competing in the Open Class would only be for fun anyway.

Which is kind of the idea anyway.

Plus that I'd use my A5 for a shoot like that.

Randy