Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-25-2012, 6:25 AM

Great video system. Can you give us the details.

How much does it cost to put up a billboard in Oakland with the faces of the guys together with a reward for dropping the dime on them. That would be awesome.
Old 10-25-2012, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvardan View Post
It's not the breed that really matters...its the noise a dog makes. A barking small dog can be as effective as a pit bull.
I have an 85 pound Choc Lab. He has a crazy deep bark and Mohawks when he sees someone somewhere where they shouldn't be like on my doorstep trying sell magazines. He looks Cujo like scary, but hes just a Lab. I have a security camera system as well and enjoy watching the uninvited scamper down the stairs from my front door when they hear him barking and going nuts. He's smart and this is the only time he goes nuts and barks like that. He roams free in and out the house when I'm not around. As a firearms instructor I discuss all aspects of personal protection in my classes. I believe and teach this (a dog) as the single best deterrent in the home while knowing nothing will deter a determined attacker/invader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Also, don't forget, bring a slower friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic32 View Post
i was hoping for a 1911. very disappointing. it's like you are getting ready to have a threesome with jessica alba and scarlett johansen and finding out they're both dudes...
Old 10-25-2012, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

Having a dog is a good thing and all but it was stop someone determined. Anyone here ever heard of benedryl? Its the main ingrediant in otc sleep medications and all you would have to do is pack a weenie full of them, wait half hour and poof, dog is out. Ive done this before as a reccomendation from my vet to have my rotty not be up all night barking at the neighbors pets. It works.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:08 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that and I hope you get your property back.

+1 on wanting to know about your camera system. Where I live if there is a break in, it is always someone you recognize, and I would love to know what you did.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
A camera out close to the street might give us a license plate number as well.
So would a neighbor that saw FOUR GUYS JUMP OVER A FENCE AND INTO A WAITING CAR! WTF is up with neighbors who don't want to get involved - or is he really that clueless?

We had a rash of petty crimes start occuring in our complex, mostly due to the high school across the street (shocker, I know) - vandalism, tresspassing, cars broken into. One of our neighbors took the inititiative - being a single mom in the complex - and set up a e-mail account to notify everyone of goings on in the complex as well as signing us up for a neighborhood watch program. On Mother's Day, this year, SHE caught three perps casing cars in the parking lot. Driver had an outstanding warrant and stolen property in the car. Occurences have since decreased.

Long story short, neighbors need to get involved. I'm not saying walk out and unload a .44 into the car as they are driving away, sh_t, just look out your peephole and get a license plate number.

When good people start turning a blind eye, the bad ones win.

Last edited by Low Light; 10-25-2012 at 7:26 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 7:26 AM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomoki1125 View Post
Having a dog is a good thing and all but it was stop someone determined. Anyone here ever heard of benedryl? Its the main ingrediant in otc sleep medications and all you would have to do is pack a weenie full of them, wait half hour and poof, dog is out. Ive done this before as a reccomendation from my vet to have my rotty not be up all night barking at the neighbors pets. It works.
If someone is going to spend that much time and effort to get into your house, then they already know what you have. Much easier to go to the neighbor without a dog, break a window and be done with it.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:37 AM
Veteran Member

Like i said, if someone is determined they will find a a way to get your stuff. No alarm, no dog will stop that. A nice 12 g 00 buckshot to the chest will surely slow them down though
Old 10-25-2012, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

I would be very worried that they will be back soon, pointing a S&W and RIA at you. They know you have a safe in the house. They know you have ARs becuase of the PMAGs on your vest.

You really need to set up a plan for if and when they return. I would have a mindset that they WILL be back, that way you stay sharp.

Good luck. Stay safe.

Maybe get the names of some worthy fellow Calgunners who live near by who could be just a quick text or phone call away JIC.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Back in the day, neighbors would've gotten the license plate and called the cops. Nowadays, nobody knows their neighbors and doesn't care. The Kitty Genovese problem has spread from NYC all across America now.

I do hope you get your stuff back and that these you-know-whats are caught.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:53 AM
Very Nice Honey Badger

Those pics are very good - I'd expect them to get popped at some point.

Good luck...

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

No they didnt know what we have except what they could see through the small window.
Yes our home was an easier target because we dont have a alarm system or dog. but thats changing right now.
The glass wasnt broken, it was the stupid small latch lock that was broken with a crowbar that forced the window up. then 1 guy climbed in and unlocked the sliding door.
we now installed window blocks.

Last edited by Darklyte27; 10-25-2012 at 5:52 PM..
Old 10-25-2012, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
The Kitty Genovese problem has spread from NYC all across America now.
This is not a problem that has "spread" anywhere. It's human nature. While people will react one way to a situation if they are alone, they will often not react if they see a large group of people who also see the situation. Its a sort of deflection that eases the conscience and allows people to do nothing and tell themselves someone else already probably called 911. Problem is all of those people are thinking the same thing and 911 never gets called.
Old 10-25-2012, 8:11 AM

First off, OP sorry to hear about your loss. I live in a questionable neighborhood myself. I have an alarm. My gunvault is cabled down. I now have a feeling I should get my guard dog sooner rather then later! I had a couple of Taco Bell rats, but they aren't the best for home defense or to deal with the cold weather. A camera may be in line too!
Old 10-25-2012, 8:40 AM

for camera systems, spend the extra money and get something good.

I bought a cheapo z-modo, the resolution sucks, the remote viewing cuts out on 2 of the 4 cameras constantly, and the recording, set at 5 fps, consistently has gaps up to 15 seconds.

So I'll be buying and installing a camera system... again... going broke being cheap...

When they kick in your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?
Old 10-25-2012, 8:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Im thinking about another big safe for the bedroom. Those who bolt down your safes to the floor, our concrete slab has post tension cables and were told not to cut or drill into the slab.
How does one secure their safe?
Old 10-25-2012, 8:45 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Im thinking about another big safe for the bedroom. Those who bolt down your safes to the floor, our concrete slab has post tension cables and were told not to cut or drill into the slab.
How does one secure their safe?
People can x-ray the floor to find where the cables go- but I wouldn't risk it.

I've heard of people bolting through the back of the safe into studs in the wall and/ or using epoxy to glue the safe down to the concrete.

If you ever have to move it after you epoxy it.... might be an issue.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 10-25-2012, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Don't try epoxy, it's a mess waiting to happen.

As Casual Shooter said, hire someone to come out for a quick x-ray of the slab. Those cables are usually spread pretty far apart. You can also get anchors that only go in 2 inches or so but will keep the safe rock solid.

Also, what time of home are you in that requires post-tension cables in your foundation? Do you have a large expansive basement under the slab?
Old 10-25-2012, 8:50 AM

I cut through the drywall, lag bolted a 2x4 to the studs, drilled two holes through the back of the safe, and lag bolted the safe to the horizontal 2x4. The faces of the 2x4 and the baseboard are almost flush. It is also in a closet, and fits with about 1/2" on either side, so really no access except the door and the top.

How you gonna come?
Old 10-25-2012, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

Wow! Definitely contact the local news stations! Put their faces EVERYWHERE!!!!

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 10-25-2012, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Built in 2010
I think the slab is for earthquakes? were on a hill side.
The room my rifle safe is in is small because i have a computer desk and a 2x4 basics bench to hold my ham radio and storage boxes. they slid the safe about 3 inches and tried to pry it with no luck.

Old 10-25-2012, 9:12 AM

... however, it is difficult to drill through the back of a firesafe...

How you gonna come?
Old 10-25-2012, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
You raise valid points... if Val Kilmer and Robert Deniro are breaking into your house. In this case, it was 3 teenagers. Don't think they're bringing x ray equipment in to steal a Rock Island Armory.
He means X-ray to make sure you don't drill into a cables and cause a foundation collapse while bolting the safe down.
Old 10-25-2012, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

LOL They thought they could get into a safe with a crowbar?

Not the smartest group of "Youths"

Old 10-25-2012, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
10:30am is an odd time to rob a home, no? Unless they are familiar with your routines? Or maybe it's the ideal time...I don't know.... If you don't mind me asking, single family home? Apartment complex? Rough area?
Actually 10:30 am is not odd at all. There are actual statistics that point to most robberies happening in those hours due to the fact that people are at work. I need to look it up to see what exact hours.

Neighbors house was broken into at around 11:00 AM several years ago and someone came into our backyard and took some scrap metal during the day also a long time ago.

I've also had suspicious people knock on my door in the morning hours asking for donations. Problem was after I told them I had no money they would leave and keep walking without stopping at any other houses.
Old 10-25-2012, 9:34 AM
CGN Contributor

Here's a good read: http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/pdf/e07021611.pdf
Old 10-25-2012, 9:35 AM

The ultimate goal is to deter and annoy the thief. Ergo, if someone wants it bad enough, they'll find a way. In this instance, the thieves had an easy time because of the general lack of security. If there was a sign up stating you had cct, they may have moved on. It's all about opportunity cost.

The more annoyances you possess, in conjunction with the style of thievery, equates to the outcome of the break-in (from conception to completion). An alarm is an annoyance, as is a dog, closed curtains, at-home neighbors, safes, signs, lights, cars in driveway, etc. No one item is key, it's a combination of all these things that says, "move on over to someone else". Your mindset should not be "I want to stop this thief", it should be, "I want to make this as annoying as possible". If you take that approach, you'll be more successful at actually stopping them. Not to mention your overall demeanor on the subject changes, and you'll probably think of more creative and fun ways to f_uck with them.

This is my general approach. Kind of like Sean Combs in "Get Him to the Greek"... you have to mind f_ck them.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Release the Cabinets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laythor View Post
that looks like a good resource to read, when I have a bit more time
Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM

... they attempted and failed to get into your safe?! They got the cheap guns that weren't secured very well, a nice vest w/ AR mags. Now they're thinking, "What's in that big safe hidden in your closet that we couldn't crack?" We know they're brazen and stupid... They'll be back... be prepared for their next visit - Secure the safe, get a dog, more cameras and talk to your neighbors.

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, prepare to die."

Last edited by Ventura_Yak'r; 10-25-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura_Yak'r View Post
... they attempted and failed to get into your safe?! They got the cheap guns that weren't secured very well, a nice vest w/ AR mags. Now they're thinking, "What's in that big safe hidden in your closet that we couldn't crack?" We know they're brazen and stupid... They'll be back... be prepared for their next visit - Secure the safe, get a dog, more cameras and talk to your neighbors.

love the ending quote!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura_Yak'r View Post

agreed, at least set your cam's to alert you via email when no one is home.

get an alarm or at least door/window contacts that will make noise and sound like a real alarm. (paired with ADT sign and window decals purchased off ebay)

The dog works as a deterrent but please don't get one solely for security..its a pet first and the security aspect is a benefit.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Cams were cut and stolen, alarm being installed soon. Dogs on the way.

jessegpresley i know the thread is getting long, yes I have a canon safe which they tried to get into if you look at the pics above. they stole my gun vault by my bed which had 2 pistols.

Last edited by Darklyte27; 10-25-2012 at 6:31 PM..
Old 10-25-2012, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotshotgun? View Post
This is not a problem that has "spread" anywhere. It's human nature.
Very true. If I happen upon a scene where something has just happened the first thing I always (try to) do is ask if someone called 911 - never assume.

How many times have you stood at a push-button crosswalk, with 10 other people, and have the DONT WALK signal come up?
Old 10-25-2012, 4:07 PM

For a nice modular alarm system, take a look at Frontpoint. They build it, you install it, so no one is in your home. Good BBB ratings and great Customer service . When I ordered mine they talked me out of components that they said were unnecessary which saved me money (and cost them $$). It's cell-based, affordable and you can check your stuff on the Internet...
Old 10-25-2012, 5:12 PM

man, I'm a bit late chiming in here but I do hope you get your property back.... and that neighbor would have a flaming bag of dog ****placed on his porch... I mean its a shame that neighbors don't have each others back now a days..Good work though with the DVR and the safe... they had to have been checking out the neighborhood to get down routines...Hope these guys get the maximum sentence when caught
Old 10-25-2012, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underhook View Post
Great video system. Can you give us the details.

How much does it cost to put up a billboard in Oakland with the faces of the guys together with a reward for dropping the dime on them. That would be awesome.
I'd pitch in a few $s
Old 10-25-2012, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of BAR7 View Post
... however, it is difficult to drill through the back of a firesafe...
I found it disturbingly easy on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
A week ago Congress was asking Tide to change their pod designs so teenagers would stop eating them.

Now this week the media thinks teenagers should determine gun control laws.
Old 10-25-2012, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

In all honesty, I will say that it's a good thing that you or your family were not at home. If you had to defend yourself and truly take someones life, that would be the worst case scenario. I don't know if I could live with that, no matter how justified I was.

Be glad it was only possessions and you have insurance to cover it. The other good thing that is coming from this is that a lot of us, myself included, are thinking more seriously about home security and securing our guns and keeping them out of the hands of criminals.
Old 10-25-2012, 6:30 PM

Sorry to hear! I had my house ransacked once, all my camera gear and my wife's jewelry were taken. I hope those a**h***& are found.
Old 10-25-2012, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Just bolted it down its not budging.

thanks for the comments guys, i really hope they get caught. Soon as AAA insurance gets the itemized list of stuff they will be cutting me a check.
Old 10-25-2012, 6:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Just bolted it down its not budging.

thanks for the comments guys, i really hope they get caught. Soon as AAA insurance gets the itemized list of stuff they will be cutting me a check.
Good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
A week ago Congress was asking Tide to change their pod designs so teenagers would stop eating them.

Now this week the media thinks teenagers should determine gun control laws.