Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 05-20-2009, 8:41 PM

Default Anyone interested in a Mammoth cleanup?

Folks, I know that most of you don't even know where Mammoth Lakes is, or that we have a range just a few minutes from town, or that a few of us pick up the trash on a regular basis. I would love to put together a cleanup using the town cleanup bags and getting them to the dump. This would be for the range behind the geothermal plant on Antelope Springs road. It really wouldn't take that long if we got 20 people together and a few shovels and enuf SUVs to haul the trash away. Comments???>>>>......
Old 05-20-2009, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Just as you said, I had no idea there was a range a few minutes from town
Andrew J.
Old 05-21-2009, 7:25 PM

To get to the range drive under the overpass at 395/203, make a left like you are going to the geothermal plant. continue till the pavement ends. follow the dirt road 1 mile to the range on your right.

There is usually lots of trash and glass. I go out and take trash occasionally. There are others that d this too, and the Forest Service appreciates it.
Old 05-21-2009, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

So is this an actual range or BLM land?

Im gonna be up there in a several weeks for a golf tourney and may stop by.
Andrew J.
Old 05-21-2009, 8:01 PM

It's not a formal range per se, but it is a legal place to shoot. There are no target stands or shooting stations, just a backstop and ****loads of trash, and the maximum distance from pullout to back stop is about 40 yards. I organized a couple cleanups out there when I used to live there back in the late 90's. It's no more or less legal to shoot there than anywhere else on BLM or NF lands, but people think of it as a "range" because lots of people like like to shoot (and leave) their own trash there. I prefer to shoot where there aren't a bunch of idiots with unsafe skills, so the only time I went there was to clean it up so gun owners weren't perceived as such litterbugs.
Old 05-26-2009, 5:58 PM

I've been down south for a while so not a chance to reply.

Yes this "range" is just a spot where folks shoot. and yes its is also the site of many unsafe acts, personally witnessed my myself. It is also where the CHP and Sheriff deputies will blow off a few rounds ("training" I think they call it.) Its better on the land if our ranges are concentrated, so less trans gets left in fewer places. There are other "ranges" in the area, and no, I'm not telling you where they are. its just a National Forest berm that people like to shoot into. Its more than 40 yards about 50 is max. The only REAL range is the Bishop Gun Club, 40 minutes south. I'm a member there and we like it that one can shoot 24/7/365 for 25 buck a year!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photog View Post
I've been down south for a while so not a chance to reply.

Yes this "range" is just a spot where folks shoot. and yes its is also the site of many unsafe acts, personally witnessed my myself. It is also where the CHP and Sheriff deputies will blow off a few rounds ("training" I think they call it.) Its better on the land if our ranges are concentrated, so less trans gets left in fewer places. There are other "ranges" in the area, and no, I'm not telling you where they are. its just a National Forest berm that people like to shoot into. Its more than 40 yards about 50 is max. The only REAL range is the Bishop Gun Club, 40 minutes south. I'm a member there and we like it that one can shoot 24/7/365 for 25 buck a year!
I dont believe I have ever seen anyone at the Bishop range... ever. All I ever see is contruction equipment sitting there. As I said, I will be up in Mammoth in a few weeks but I dont know if I am going to bring any guns. In the future though, I'll stop by and take a look around. I'll also pick up some garbage while Im at it.

ETA:
Got any photos of the place?
Andrew J.
Old 06-03-2009, 7:06 AM

I'll get some photos of the Mammoth range soon. Never thought to actually photograph it.

There is plenty of things going on in the Bishop Gun Club. We shoot USPSA every month. THere are lots of police outings there (I refuse to call it training). Lever action and rimfire comps.
Old 06-04-2009, 2:11 AM
In Memoriam

photog when do you shoot USPSA?

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 06-06-2009, 4:17 PM

USPSA is every month, second Sunday of the month.
Cost is $20 for the comp. $5 discount for Bishop Gun Club Members. We shoot one classifier, and usually 5 stages total Sign up at 830a, comp at 9am. We usually finish by 1pm
Old 06-17-2009, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

If Im comin from Mammoth, can I get to this place on a mt. bike?
Andrew J.
Old 06-18-2009, 9:04 AM

Yep, its easy to get to by bike.

Head down 203 to jct of 203/395, go under 395, first left. From there its about 1.5 miles and on a dirt FS road.
Old 06-18-2009, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Cool. I'm up in Mammoth right now and figured I'd stop by friday or saturday to check it out.
Andrew J.
Old 06-20-2009, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

I took the mountain bike up there today to check it out. I didn't have any guns with me but I was just curious to see this place. The ride up the dirt road kicked my *** (and on the way back to town on the 203) but it was well worth it. I knew I was getting close when I heard some gunfire.

I rode up only to see a family shooting some .22 rifles and a revolver in .45 Colt. It turns out they also lived down in Orange County like me. The father was very knowledgeable on firearms. He told me he was putting together an AR but had a few concerns about compliancy. I happily shared my knowledge on CA compliant AR's with him. The family was also generous enough to let me put a few rounds through their firearms. The father said he visits calguns occasionally so if he reads this, it was great meeting you and your family and big thanks to you for letting me put a few rounds through your guns.

As for the range itself, it was a mess! The family told me that they've actually seen it in worse condition. TONS of glass, cans, shells and casings all over the place. When we finished shooting, we cleaned up our mess and some of the messes left by others.

I'm really glad that I don't have to drive up or down the 395 to find a place to shoot while I'm up in Mammoth from now on. I'll be sure to come back in the future and haul off a bag of trash when I leave.
Old 06-20-2009, 6:22 PM

I'm planning on working at the mountain over Christmas break this winter, but I'm assuming it'll all be covered by snow then.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Might want to keep range quiet and have everyone PM re: the location. Mammoth has changed so much, bunch of tree huggers, and stoned mountain bikers and snow borders up there now. If they find out about the range they might want to close it out of fear of getting shot while they’re getting in touch with nature - wondering around smoking their herb or coming blazing down the mountain right into the range. Tree huggers might also be concerned about the toxicity and call the hazmat out to close the range out of fear that lead will leak seep into the air and kill the condors in Santa Barbara.
Old 07-14-2009, 8:21 PM

I used to shoot there behind the therm plant with my dad back in the 90's. The place was a dump, but we had fun shootin' at other people's junk. Nothin like blowin away an old snow mobile that some other idiot left behind! I was up there shootin last year. My buddy & I had the range all to ourselves. Most of the trash seemed to be gone, with the exception of an old dishwasher about 30 yrds out. While we were there, a ranger pulled up on us & I thought "great, he's gunna give us a hard time". He just asked what we were using for targets. I showed him the cans & empty plastic water jugs we were blasting, and assured him that I was gunna haul all of it out in a trash bag. That was fine by him, as long as we were'nt shootin glass. He proceeded to bestow upon me his "clean shooter award" as he put it, and gave me a big ol' piece of plywood that he had stapled a couple a bullseye targets to. he then complemented me on my m1a & my ar, and he was on his way. It's good to see that people are keeping this spot clean after years of neglect!
Old 11-07-2009, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep up the good work folks KEEP it OPEN!! I AGREE delete the directions and just PM if you need them... No need for antis to have directions to check out places to shut down NEXT...
Old 12-28-2009, 1:49 PM

I'm heading up to mammoth tomorrow and I'm curious whether this spot will be accessible during the snow season(I have awd)?
I most likely won't be bringing any guns along on this trip, nevertheless I would like to kill some time and check out the area.
Old 12-31-2009, 1:27 PM

As far as I know there's snow covering the area, but I haven't seen this for myself.
Old 01-02-2010, 2:09 PM

Talking

I live in June Lake 6 months of the year. I'll make sure to haul some loads out this coming summer on the way back from the Mammoth Brewing Co.
Old 01-02-2010, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Id be down for some clean up. im assuming you plan on doing it after the snow melts? is it even snowing there yet? My wife and I go through on our way to Reno all the time. We do the june lake loop also. She has a aunt that lives there.
Rob
Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

This thread is like 7 months old.... Is it still in the works??
Old 01-04-2010, 2:10 PM

I saw someone with a truck that had a novelty hitch thing that looked like a .44 meg shell and primer. It was parked at the main lodge at Mammoth Mountain.
Thumbs up if it was any of you guys.
Old 01-04-2010, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sitting at the bar at the Eagle Lodge right now. Any other calgunners up here?
Old 01-04-2010, 2:23 PM

^^^At the Looney Beane near RiteAid
Old 01-05-2010, 8:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
Id be down for some clean up. im assuming you plan on doing it after the snow melts? is it even snowing there yet? My wife and I go through on our way to Reno all the time. We do the june lake loop also. She has a aunt that lives there.
Rob
Hi Rob - some friends and I drove up there at the beginning of winter break and it sure was snowing. I think we were in the same area you all are talking about. We stopped at someone's mom's house to pee...I think it was near mammoth, and there was snow on the ground. (picture attached to prove it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mammoth Snow.jpg (37.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-07-2010, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Heres a photo I snapped on Dave's Run. Any of you skiers recognize the guy at the bottom of the pic in the green?

[click photo to elarge]
Andrew J.

Last edited by andrewj; 04-17-2010 at 9:53 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 4:39 PM

Dave's not here
Old 01-07-2010, 9:12 PM

I saw him up there on Wednesday when my family was there visitting before I headed back to San Diego. I also had a conversation with him about the weather while working in the parking lot.

I can never remember his name, though...
Old 01-07-2010, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpsdNoMore View Post
I saw him up there on Wednesday when my family was there visitting before I headed back to San Diego. I also had a conversation with him about the weather while working in the parking lot.

I can never remember his name, though...
Glen Plake

When we were up on Dave's, he was doing one of his videos you always see on the local Mammoth ski channel. He just popped off the cornace at the top of Dave's and skiied it like it was nothing. Hes a trip to watch.
Andrew J.
Old 04-17-2010, 8:26 PM

if this does happen, please let me know, we tried to find it on our own today and failed miserably... i'd totally be down to help clean it if someone would show me where it is

story of our failure:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=291822
Old 08-16-2010, 12:47 AM

Does anyone know if the Bishop gun club is AR friendly?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM

I know this thread is quite old..... but anyone up for doing a cleanup here in Mammoth this spring/summer?

It would be really great if we could find someone with a loader who we could convince (lots of beer), to bring it out to the site and really do a "clean sweep". The shooting spot REALLY needs a big hole dug and all the junk pushed into it. A tractor really is what it needs now. Anyone interested? I can get a heavily discounted rate at a local condo here in Mammoth for those interested in coming up for a weekend. My official days off are Wednesday and Thursday. I have a loader and a bobcat here at work, but I don't think I can use them offsite. And I don't have a trailer for them. Although we could maybe rent a hauler for a tractor.
Old 01-28-2011, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybordolphin View Post
Does anyone know if the Bishop gun club is AR friendly?
Hey guys, I moved back to Flagstaff az in late 09, so I won't be organizing any clean ups in Mammoth.

Yes, Bishop gun club is AR friendly, I used to use the pistol bays and the rifle range for training. The club is pretty much anything friendly, as long as you are not doing anything stupid, its ok!
Old 01-28-2011, 5:18 PM

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the insite on the Bishop range. Do have a name of anyone there I can talk to about the matches held there? I think I read they hold them a few times per month (lever action, etc.). How's AZ!? Thats a bit of a switch from up here! I melt in anything hotter than about 75 degrees now!! :O
Old 02-03-2011, 6:23 PM

http://www.uspsa2.org/bishop.htm

Give Jerry a call.
Not all of AZ is hot. The northern half of the state is colder than ANY part of CA. Was -15 at new years, and +5F this morning.
Old 02-03-2011, 9:00 PM

No kidding.... I'll have to check out the northern part of the state. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 PM

Cool

I`m a season pass holder who`s been looking for a place to shoot up there, my friend just bought a condo this season and his whole family wants to learn to shoot. so as soon as the snow melts down there we`ll be up to haul some junk out !
Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 AM

I was up in that area for the first time this weekend, and my buddy found out about this place to go shoot a bit once we limited out fishing.

I have to say the condition was shocking. I have to admit I didn't pick up our brass, even though I wanted to, because it was simply too dangerous. The entire range is covered in broken glass and about every kind of debris you could (or couldn't imagine). A shot up camper shell, TVs, and tons of various propane, camp fuel and other gas tanks all over.

I got there right as another shooter was leaving and chatted with him for a minute. He said that the BLM has already threatened to shut down the range permanently due to the condition shooters are leaving it in. I can't blame them one bit after seeing it.

If I was actually in the area (unfortunately I'm several hours away) I'd be glad to pitch in. I really think an hour with a Bobcat could get the job done though since the land is so level.