Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Wine Country Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM

Default Insight on living in Ukiah

I currently live in San Diego, and up until now I've never thought about leaving. there isn't much to complain about. weather is top notch, traffic isn't too crazy and everything is nearby. it's not as fast paced as Los Angels or the Bay Area. mountains,desert, ocean, LA, shoot even Mexico is a short day trip away. it's diverse as far as demographics go.

a couple years back, after a split up with my ex I felt I wanted to leave San Diego to see somewhere different and eventually come back. however I used the excuse of owning a house hold me back and never left. now that I'm 34 now and have kids I don't need much as far as entertainment. I find myself not even leaving the house on my days off unless its for one of their extra curricular activities. I don't need a night life where a small city would probably lack like when I was younger.

I know work is slim in ukiah, but I would already have a job there so that's nothing I have to worry about. I've looked at all our centers and seems like everything points to ukiah. I looked at SLO, Ventura and Monterey but cost of living is pretty high. LA and Vallejo is out of the question due to it being just as busy (as far as work load) and cost of living and traffic are worse. there were a couple of other smaller centers but weather was unfavorable for me. I figured in order to work where I do for the length until retirement I wouldn't be able, or would want to work in a busy city to ensure mental health doesn't quickly deteriorate. ukiah seems appealling so far since cost of living is a lot less. using a cost of living calculator it states cost of living in ukiah would be equivalent to making $13k less, and I would be basically making the same minus $300/month of retention pay but obviously lower cost of living makes that irrelevant. as far as I've read pros so far would be cost of living, less work load (ukiah on a Friday call volume is ~200 vs ~1600 in San Diego), weather seems to be good [high 30s in winter, 90s in summer, more rain than San Diego (but that's not saying much) but nothing too crazy, and minimal snow that doesn't seem to be something you can even count], SF and Sac seems to be only 2-3 hrs away, and would have a whole lot more roads to take the motorcycle out. now some cons that I've come across are talks of transients being pushy (but those are anywhere you go), meth/marijuana epidemic (not sure how big the problem really is), and small population. I currently have small population on the con side only because I'm not sure yet if this will be a good or bad thing. I guess moreso lack of diversity. not sure how people are as far as being open. I'm Filipino and SO is multirace, and see that there are only 2% Asian so I'm sure well stick out. I just wondered if this would be an issue for residents or it's just my concern and I really don't need to worry about it.

oh a huge plus is Mendocino county being a shall issue county for a CCW.

any thoughts on life in ukiah would be great. good, bad, and ugly would help immensely. we do plan on heading out there next month to take a look, but I figure that won't be enough to make a finally decision. this would probably happen a little ways out probably 2-4 years or so.

thanks in advanced.