Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-16-2012, 3:29 PM

Default Any AF Security Forces here?

Im looking into the AF Reserves, and ive been specifically looking at Security Forces. Im wondering for those of you who are, what you think of it, and would you recommend it as a occupation? Thank you all for your service

Snake Plissken:Got a Smoke?
Malloy:The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no guns, no alcohol, no women-unless your married-no foul language-no red meat!
Snake Plissken-(sarcastic)Land of the Free
Ironic how fiction slowly becomes reality, isnt it?
Old 10-16-2012, 5:16 PM

What are your future goals? Might help steer you down a better road.
Old 10-16-2012, 6:25 PM

Future goals as in a civilian career? Im trying to go LE, so thats why I am attracted to SF.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 PM

I got some SF in my dorms and they said they dont do any police work, but they do more checking IDs and perimeter checks. Half of my boys from bootcamp went sf and say it isn't what they expected. I don't think SF looks any better on a resume than any other AFSC. Loadmaster looks like a fun job, but I went intel because the TS Clearance I received will open more opportunities for me as LEO or even Civilian Intel jobs.
Old 10-17-2012, 1:19 PM

I saw those guys down range. They would mount their .50 cals on their up armored vehicles and drive around the big ole FOB they were on. They had to "patrol" the FOB in full kit. I always laughed when I saw them in the DFAC or the gym eyeballing everyone. I wouldn't want to do that job. I hear that MP in the Army and this don't help you get a job in LE. Do something you want to do in the military and have some fun with it. Go active duty you will have many more opportunities open to you.
Old 10-17-2012, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Do Army mp 31b. Their school is accepted by federal le standards, that says alot. Security forces differs alot, you could be working gates doing entry control. Or you could be patrolling missile fields or a flight line. It all depends what base and unit your assigned To, and they deploy alot in the af.
Old 10-19-2012, 8:46 AM

If you want to do law enforcement join the army as an mp. Just a heads up too, the army is overstrength with MP's right now so you got to really push for it. There is also a huge focus for more specific law enforcement training in the MP corp right now, So the army might be a better choice.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 AM

I dont understand how you guys say AF SF doesnt do LE/police work?

My little bro is AF SF and he does do the things that others have said like work the gates checking ID cards or patrol the flight line. He also responds to emergency calls and traffic stops just like normal cops would back home...

The CCAF degree from the AF would definitely go towards some Criminal justice degree on the outside too. If you dont actually work AF security forces I wouldnt give a whole lot of advice. I'm in the USAF and I see these things first hand while deployed and at home.

There are a lot of opportunities to do different things in SF. Dog handler/Raven or Fast team etc. Talk to the recruiter, you may or may not be able to do some of these things.
Old 10-20-2012, 1:26 AM

I was wondering the same thing, but from a little googling, I gathered you have to be active Air force for the SF. Reserve rescue wing like the one in the Bay Area don't have as far as I can tell SF. I have been researching this for myself, and I haven't got to the point of calling a recruiter, not before I research what ASVAB scores to get into the SF. Well that's just me, any active or reserve want to add, or correct. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Equis; 10-20-2012 at 1:30 AM..
Old 10-20-2012, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equis View Post
I was wondering the same thing, but from a little googling, I gathered you have to be active Air force for the SF. Reserve rescue wing like the one in the Bay Area don't have as far as I can tell SF. I have been researching this for myself, and I haven't got to the point of calling a recruiter, not before I research what ASVAB scores to get into the SF. Well that's just me, any active or reserve want to add, or correct. Thanks in advance.
The testing requirement for security forces isn't very high, TBH. Just go for it, if that is what you want to do.

http://www.instantasvab.com/score/re...orce-jobs.html
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Internet 'Tough Guy'

When I was in we did both LE and Security. One was cop stuff while the other was patrolling the flight line, working the gates, etc.
Old 10-20-2012, 2:17 PM

most base have civilian security at gate posts now
Old 10-20-2012, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Yup they have DoD police that augment enlisted personnel. 083 series police officer, whereas the guards do mainly gates and entry control.
Old 10-20-2012, 7:48 PM

Thanks for the responses guys! If you dont mind me asking another question, how has the reserves effected your civilian careers? I know that its technically against federal law to for an employer to fire you, but ive been hearing rumors that theres been some loopholes being used, anyone heard of this?

Snake Plissken:Got a Smoke?
Malloy:The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no guns, no alcohol, no women-unless your married-no foul language-no red meat!
Snake Plissken-(sarcastic)Land of the Free
Ironic how fiction slowly becomes reality, isnt it?
Old 10-21-2012, 7:46 PM

They have SF positions in the air guard. I said they don't do real police work because the SF at my base tell me they don't. They just check IDs and do perimeter checks or sit on flight line. Most bases do contract out the law enforcement aspect about it. And to me at least, the CCAF degrees are a joke. Also from asking around with the army 31Bs it seems as if the army MPs are doing more infantry work than police work. Yea at the intel tech school a lot of the guys who failed out of school got reclassed to SF or if you went in open general you were almost guerenteed sf
Old 10-21-2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equis View Post
Fyi... The air guard unit, 129th Rescue Wing, at Moffett Field does have a full time security forces squadron.

OP.. SF is still a great AFSC to enter. There is a lot of potential to do great things there. With the guard/reserve SF you have a lot of opportunity to back fill active duty units for several months at a time. I know a guy who went to Italy for several months, then went to saudi Arabia, and several other places just by volunteering. Another thing we have in the AF is the Air Force Office of Special Investigations... Kinda of hard to get into from my understanding and don't know about guard/reserve vacancies for them (I'm not SF) but they are the undercover guys that usually don't wear uniforms or rank. I know for a fact they get into some serious investigations such as rape. There is an AFOSI office at moffett but they might be Active.

Lastly, speaking of the 129 Rescue at Moffett Field.. We are a combat search and rescue unit so we have the pararescue (spec ops) career field available also. Need to be very very physically fit though.

My AF career has brought me very good things, hopefully it can for you too. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Try OSI but everyone will hate you. IF they still have it as an AFSC.

This is WAR, Peacock! Casualties are inevitable! You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs! EVERY chef will tell you that!
Col. Mustard

It's time to start breaking moonbat eggs.
Theodore Edward
Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 PM

Dagtwo what unit are you in at 129th?

OP yeah OSI would be great. I know at my current base the OSI has a military dept which is an officer slot, and a civilian dept so you may be able to do that. However I know Moffett FAF has NASA guarding the gates do I don't know how much of te investigation slots are military and civilian.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Mxg

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-22-2012, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in the CSMR but I am attached to an Air Guard SF unit, and have attended the USAF SF augmentee program. You can PM me if you have questions, I should be able to offer some help.
Old 12-07-2013, 8:29 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Join the Security Forces and become CATM. The only way to go.