Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-09-2018, 8:48 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
So if i understand that correctly every featured ar in a gun store has a mag in it right now?
I'm hesitant to make a claim that ALL California gun stores understand how to comply with the law, but I would hope that at least most if them do.

Old 11-09-2018, 9:06 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinarmory View Post
Any reason why our Drop in Fixed Magazine wasn't used? I believe it is one of the least expensive ways to comply.

I think did mention it as a fixed magazine option . I apologize for not using it but will acknowledge it as a viable option for top loading or ejection port loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purchase any 2 kits and get 20% off your full order.
Purchase any 3 kits and get 25% off your full order.
Purchase any 4 or more kits and get 30% off your full order.

http://armaglock.com

Note: Limited time only

.308 KINGPINS IN PRODUCTION

Kingpin and Hyperswitch FAQ and troubleshoot

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1428078
Old 11-09-2018, 9:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
ONLINE STORE: http://franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the CSW, the Release Firing System, the Binary Firing System, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine, and the New Rostered CA7 Pistol!
Old 11-09-2018, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShooter View Post
In all the stores i’ve visited, yes.
not something i ever noticed, but then i didn't really pay attention to it either. learn something new every day.

but it does make me wonder about range breaks and ROs walking the line checking for bolts back and guns unloaded. i would have sworn that every AR had no magazine. at least mine was......
i actually thought that was the safest i could make it.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:02 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
but it does make me wonder about range breaks and ROs walking the line checking for bolts back and guns unloaded. i would have sworn that every AR had no magazine. at least mine was......
i actually thought that was the safest i could make it.
You're over-thinking. Just do what you'd do with any other fixed-magazine gun (like a bolt-action rifle or a pump-action shotgun) - Shoot or eject all the cartridges, and put a chamber flag in the chamber.

No range would ever expect you to remove the fixed magazine from your Remington 870 or your Henry lever-action rifle, so why would they expect you to remove a fixed mag from anything else?

If they say anything about it, just kindly inform them that it's a fixed magazine, you can't easily remove it, which is why you removed the ammunition and inserted a chamber flag instead. If they insist on you removing it, ask them why the guy next to you with the Winchester 70 doesn't have to remove his too.

I'd expect that as fixed-mag ARs become more commonplace, this will become less of an issue, if it hasn't already.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-09-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Old 11-09-2018, 11:37 AM

Thought i'd have trouble taking/shooting my fixed mag Vepr 12 at the range but after some friendly curiousity and very brief explanation all i had to do was after the last round lock the bolt back, install a chamber flag, and make sure it was pointing down range when setting it down. Same with my AR's, the magazines are riveted right into the receivers to make them fixed/non-detacheable...i just split the rifle open with a chamber flag in it just because or leave it as is with a chamber flag and set my empty loader next to it and it's all good.
Old 11-09-2018, 4:44 PM

How did I miss that CompMag?

Now I have to build a CompMag based AR.

I may have to stop building a new rifle for each compliance option
Old 11-09-2018, 6:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post
How did I miss that CompMag?

Now I have to build a CompMag based AR.

I may have to stop building a new rifle for each compliance option
These are perfect for the bench shooter if speed is not important to you. Well made magazine and bulletproof.

Old 11-09-2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
no device needed go featureless...
these devices are dangerous and cumbersome
You are entitled to you own opinion. To come in and give your opinion when what is being discussed here are fixed magazine compliant options. With that said, why would you go featureless on an ar15? Why not just get a naturally featureless rifle, it would be more ergonomic than a rifle that isn't featureless. There are rifle lowers like the SCR that will take a standard upper. If you want a complete rifle there is always the SU-16. There are also standard noon pistol grip ak variants that are naturally featureless. All are much better options than some weird grip, stupid fin and completely changing what the ar15 is all about.

I use the Hogue Freedom Fighter/Juggernaut Tactical/Kingpin with an added Magpul B.A.D. Lever and I can reload super fast, can clear any malfunction and best of all my rifle looks like a standard configuration ar15 and not some stupid castrated featureless variant. Another bonus is most fixed magazine options can be switched to standard configuration rifles should the person find themselves in a free state or society breaks down. My setup can be undone in less than 1 minute simply by removing the rear pin, and removing the internal hex screw. I close my rifle and viola, ready to rock and roll.

I go to Arizona a lot, I used to remove the fixed magazine, now I find myself just practicing with my setup and continue to get faster. I am to the point where everything is second nature and I can operate my weapon as fast as most people with either a featureless rifle or standard config. Again my ar looks like an ar, it has all the features that our dumb *** laws would have you believe is an "assault weapon" here is what mine looks like.

Old 11-09-2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohyp View Post
All of them require inserting a magazine prior to closing. A rifle can’t have the ability to accept a detachable magazine since it’s no longer fixed with the receivers closed on each other.

This includes storage and transport of your rifle so just be mindful.

I challenge this, the law only talks about the removal of the magazine only after disassembly of the action. Let us not add to an already dumb law. Again, the law says in order for a rifle to be considered fixed magazine, the action must be disassembled before you can remove the magazine... That is it people don't add more to it.

This is right out of Penal Code section 30515,

(b) For purposes of this section, “fixed magazine” means an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action.

If anyone disagrees, then please find something you can quote that says to the contrary.

Compliant magazines or similar devices, like Franklin Armory, CompMag and others do have to stay permanently in the rifle because if they are removed and the receivers closed and pinned installed, the rifle is now under law an "assault weapon" as the rifle is then in a standard configuration and can accept a detachable magazine and can then be removed without first requiring disassembly of the action. So again, the reason this would not apply to a fixed magazine rifles, like ones that used Hogue Freedom Fighter or similar device, even when the receivers are closed they cannot accept detachable magazine, because as soon as you inset the magazine, it cannot be removed without first requiring disassembly of the action.

I hope you all read this and realize this is true. Please do not add to the law as you only give fuel to the gun control side, they don't need any help. They already want all your guns, so don't give them more power than they already have.

Last edited by Toamaius; 11-09-2018 at 10:16 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow! Great effort and nicely done. Thanks!

Minor point, the link in the OP is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynm1lUSf4U&t=34s
Which starts the video off at 34 seconds in, instead of at time zero.

If "&t=34s" is removed, the link will start the video, uh, at the start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynm1lUSf4U
Again, nice job. Although I went featureless, I'm quite interested in seeing what's available for the fixed mag option.

-- Michael
Old 11-10-2018, 5:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Wow! Great effort and nicely done. Thanks!

Minor point, the link in the OP is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynm1lUSf4U&t=34s

Which starts the video off at 34 seconds in, instead of at time zero.

If "&t=34s" is removed, the link will start the video, uh, at the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynm1lUSf4U

Again, nice job. Although I went featureless, I'm quite interested in seeing what's available for the fixed mag option.

-- Michael

Thanks for that. I’ll fix that!

Old 11-10-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comifornia:( View Post
I'm using your kingpin on my pistol so it better be the fastest lol no pressure
why do you need a kingpin on an AR pistol?
Old 11-10-2018, 1:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toamaius View Post
I use the Hogue Freedom Fighter/Juggernaut Tactical/Kingpin with an added Magpul B.A.D. Lever and I can reload super fast, can clear any malfunction and best of all my rifle looks like a standard configuration ar15 and not some stupid castrated featureless variant.

I am sorry, but I look at your set up and it looks like some stupid castrated variant to me. NOt sure how you are comparing your castrated version as a superior castrated version to one that has a fin grip????

I have never registered, never owned a fin grip, bullet button, king pin, 10 round rifle magazine, etc etc.

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 11-10-2018, 8:33 PM

323, don’t post while drinking. That post didn’t make even a little bit of sense.
Old 11-10-2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
I am sorry, but I look at your set up and it looks like some stupid castrated variant to me. NOt sure how you are comparing your castrated version as a superior castrated version to one that has a fin grip????

I have never registered, never owned a fin grip, bullet button, king pin, 10 round rifle magazine, etc etc.
Right....
Old 11-10-2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:

Ummm...ok. So you have never owned a featureless or fixed mag rifle, but you just know that both are junk, etc etc. ? Makes no sense.
Old 11-11-2018, 7:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

There should be a section on calguns for venting so that all threads stay clean.

It just never fails but is understandable how frustrating any of this stuff is to deal with and the need for people to poopoo each other for their choices.

A simple request I put out is just have constructive discussion on Maglock or fixed mag devices. No need to compare to featureless because there is no comparison. It’s like a governor limited vehicle. We all know what the vehicle is capable of but each vehicle has the handcuffs on.

Thanks guys

Old 11-11-2018, 2:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ummm...ok. So you have never owned a featureless or fixed mag rifle, but you just know that both are junk, etc etc. ? Makes no sense.
Never said both are junk, just said they were both castrated variants of the same strain. My point wasn't really to dump on either, but castrated is castrated. Not really sure why one user thinks his castrated version is better than someone elses castrated version

Quote:
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

Last edited by colossians323; 11-11-2018 at 2:31 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post
323, don’t post while drinking. That post didn’t make even a little bit of sense.
Maybe thats the problem. Quit drinking in the month of November

Quote:

Last edited by colossians323; 11-11-2018 at 2:31 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:

Well, aren't you all high and mighty.
Old 11-11-2018, 7:40 PM

Hi everyone,
I hope this post is in the right thread since we are discussing different CA compliant devices. I like the combination of the JT Hellfighter in rear and calcatch 33.3 in front but I just came across this article on the Cross Armory website. I would like to have everyone's opinions on these separation limiting, rear takedown pins. Thanks.

https://crossarmory.com/some-ar-15-r...not-compliant/
Old 11-11-2018, 7:51 PM

Curious myself. Admittedly, i never tried pulling the trigger with my kingpin open. Tho without a round in there i wouldnt know if it hit the firing pin.
Protohyp?
Old 11-11-2018, 8:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd81 View Post
Hi everyone,
I hope this post is in the right thread since we are discussing different CA compliant devices. I like the combination of the JT Hellfighter in rear and calcatch 33.3 in front but I just came across this article on the Cross Armory website. I would like to have everyone's opinions on these separation limiting, rear takedown pins. Thanks.

https://crossarmory.com/some-ar-15-r...not-compliant/

Sorry guys. This has been discussed over and over again in multiple threads but I really don’t want to have this discussion here because it will take the thread of track.

I cannot speak to opinions because there are many camps but my suggestion is to read and read and read the regulations to your understanding and not because some lawyer has said one thing because many other lawyers have said something else.

Old 11-11-2018, 8:04 PM

Here we go again....down the rabbit hole...
Old 11-17-2018, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Here we go again....down the rabbit hole...
Honestly.

Thank you protohyp for this, I've watched about 2 hours so far and you've opened my mind a little to some of the products, although I still think your design is the best.

In terms of castration...

Guys Featureless vs fixed mag is like deaf verse blind. We're all ****ed in some way, just pick the way you can live most with. They both equally suck *** in my opinion as I have the best versions of both for my individual liking.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters14 View Post
Honestly.

Thank you protohyp for this, I've watched about 2 hours so far and you've opened my mind a little to some of the products, although I still think your design is the best.

In terms of castration...

Guys Featureless vs fixed mag is like deaf verse blind. We're all ****ed in some way, just pick the way you can live most with. They both equally suck *** in my opinion as I have the best versions of both for my individual liking.
You bet.

I think the one thing that I really wanted to get across (since I didn't really post a clear winner) is that each option has its benefits depending on what the shooter intends to do with it.

When I'm out in the range the most common question I get from people is "how do I clear a double feed with your device?". Once I ask "what is the first thing to check for when clearing a failure to extract?" either I get a strange "what's that" look or "well, i've never cleared one before" I sort of know that most people are just following the crowd of people that are concerned about it and dont actually know how to deal with it.

my whole thing with the Kingpin/AR Maglock is even though its castrated I wanted the CLOSEST thing to a real firearm while having a thumb wrapped around the grip. If you watch any of my videos you can see that there really is no difference in manipulations at least visually.

When I first shot with the Kingpin with my LEO buddies they were asking why I had a standard mag release because I was able to keep up with their RAW or Duty weapons.

As I mentioned in the video if I practiced any of the systems as much as I have with the Kingpin/AR Maglock I could be pretty fast and the video was really tailored to those that actually train, not your standard bench shooter.

Old 11-17-2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohyp View Post
You bet.

I think the one thing that I really wanted to get across (since I didn't really post a clear winner) is that each option has its benefits depending on what the shooter intends to do with it.

When I'm out in the range the most common question I get from people is "how do I clear a double feed with your device?". Once I ask "what is the first thing to check for when clearing a failure to extract?" either I get a strange "what's that" look or "well, i've never cleared one before" I sort of know that most people are just following the crowd of people that are concerned about it and dont actually know how to deal with it.

my whole thing with the Kingpin/AR Maglock is even though its castrated I wanted the CLOSEST thing to a real firearm while having a thumb wrapped around the grip. If you watch any of my videos you can see that there really is no difference in manipulations at least visually.

When I first shot with the Kingpin with my LEO buddies they were asking why I had a standard mag release because I was able to keep up with their RAW or Duty weapons.

As I mentioned in the video if I practiced any of the systems as much as I have with the Kingpin/AR Maglock I could be pretty fast and the video was really tailored to those that actually train, not your standard bench shooter.
100%, I timed myself today and I was a half to a full second slower with the fixed mag solution, but that's because I'm a lefty. I have an ambi mag release on my featureless setup so that eliminates one step. If I was right handed, it'd be the exact same time. It's just as you said, a matter of practicing.
Old 11-18-2018, 2:29 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default California Compliant Device ‘Shootout’ VIDEO UPLOADED POST #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters14 View Post
100%, I timed myself today and I was a half to a full second slower with the fixed mag solution, but that's because I'm a lefty. I have an ambi mag release on my featureless setup so that eliminates one step. If I was right handed, it'd be the exact same time. It's just as you said, a matter of practicing.

I wish you took a video because I would’ve loved to see that.

I posted a video on Instagram comparing the kingpin and featureless and my fastest time was with the Kingpin at 2.03 seconds and featureless being at 2.15.

That to me is negligible but also because I don’t typically practice featureless but among all the times I feel if it was just based on time alone it wouldn’t matter to me if I was on the Kingpin/ar Maglock or featureless but feel like it would take a lot more to get used to a fin grip. The other grips that has my thumb and web of hands higher may be ok.

If it was a system were I would have to drop the bolt to open and then charge I’d see that adding close to 2 seconds.

Honestly I still hate needing to use this but if I had designed this 10 years ago I would have been using it over the bullet button any day of the week and twice on Tuesday. At the same time I’m actually enjoying the challenge of seeing how fast I can be with all of them. I’m sure I’ll get flak for saying that but whatever

Last edited by protohyp; 11-18-2018 at 2:31 AM..