Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-19-2011, 2:10 PM

Default CGN Marine recruiter out there?

My daughter approached me about enlisting in the Marine Corps and I wanted to take her to a recruiter but have heard alot of mixed stories about quotas and lies. I want her to talk to a member from here that I hope we can trust. I am all for my little girl following the family tradition that I sadly broke. We are just looking for straight forward answers. So if there is one out here, PM me.
Thank You

PS: if she does enlist, I lose a shooting buddy for a bit... But I gain a Marine for life
Old 07-19-2011, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I would not reccomend Military service for any female, regardless of branch.
Old 07-19-2011, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
I would not reccomend Military service for any female, regardless of branch.
Why is that?
I am very curious now.
Old 07-19-2011, 2:37 PM

hey Fabguy, I have a real good buddy that is a recruiter out of the OC area. He would love to talk to you and your daughter. Would you like me to PM you his info? Or I can forward you his info...

thanks

Old 07-19-2011, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

my son was really gungho, went to marines reqcruiter, went as far as test and MEPS, but then suddenly got really turned off, for some odd reason, my own wild guess is they were too pushy. he doesnt want to consider any kind of military service now
Old 07-19-2011, 2:59 PM

At this point my daughter just has questions and wanted to see how I felt about it. I just don't want some local recruiter pushing her into something she may not want to do.
Old 07-19-2011, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

i'm sorry, i should have added,
my experience suggests its a good idea to try to solicit here someone that you can at least have some level of relationship with.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
At this point my daughter just has questions and wanted to see how I felt about it. I just don't want some local recruiter pushing her into something she may not want to do.
Post up some questions and let some prior or active duty people try to answer the questions.
Old 07-20-2011, 1:30 PM

There are many active duty Marines on this board as we speak. Would you like us to answer any questions or is it just for recruiters?
Old 07-20-2011, 3:25 PM

Well, some of her questions is "what are some options for women as far as jobs". "Can I be an armorer" "do women go to battle or get sent to combat zones"
Old 07-20-2011, 3:33 PM

Well, some of her questions is

"what are some options for women as far as jobs".
Anything except for Combat MOS's such as 03XX.

"Can I be an armorer"
Yes, but liking firearms and being a Military Armorer have nearly nothing to do with each other. You will sit in a dark cage all day cleaning and doing inventory. No thanks. We have a former 2111 on here who may chime in with his opinion of his job.

"do women go to battle or get sent to combat zones"
Women do go to battle, although most of the time it's because they were on a convoy that took fire. There are Female Engagement Teams that work hand in hand with our ground pounders that have been in deliberate engagements with the enemy.

The Marine Corps is an interesting place for women and I personally wouldn't dare let my daughter join. But, thats a whole nother story...
Old 07-20-2011, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
"Can I be an armorer"
I would think yes, I tried to get the MOS in the army (none were open at the time), but the catch is the army requires one be able to lift 100 pounds of dead weight to be an armorer.

So I suspect the Marines have a similar requirment. Remember, being a small arms armorer is essentially anything that's not a vehicle mounted rocket launcher. So one needs to be able to manipulate some pretty heavy things.
Old 07-20-2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
The Marine Corps is an interesting place for women and I personally wouldn't dare let my daughter join. But, thats a whole nother story...
Thank You for the reply,
but again another type of anti women in Marines comment. Please explain why you wouldn't let your daughter join. I am curious
Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thank You for the reply,
but again another type of anti women in Marines comment. Please explain why you wouldn't let your daughter join. I am curious
Too many things can go wrong for women in the Military, some are sexually assaulted, some turn into giant whores, some cant hack it and end up "injured" wasting a whole bunch of govt time and money, some meet their "soulmate" and end up married and preggo within a few months only to get divorced and remarried a few months after that, etc, etc.

I love the Army and I will stay in until retirement, however I would NEVER reccommend the Military for a female.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

^thats pretty accurate
I would suggest against her joining the marines.
Old 07-21-2011, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Thank You for the reply,
Ive thought about how to put this respectfully for day now and just cant find the right words, so please, bear with me and take whatever I have to not as an insult but as my attempt at good advice:

The Marine Corps is a rough place with rough edges and rough people. The closer you get to a combat MOS, the rougher your life will be. Think back to when you were 18-22, and now imagine 200,000 18-22 year old men with nearly complete freedom and constant testosterone filled competitions, all together. We drink, smoke, fight, screw, cuss, get tattooed, and spend alot of money. Now, throw a female Marine into that equation.

Many females in the military are sexually assaulted and taken advantage of. Many lose their self-respect and become EXTREMELY promiscuous. Male Marines will rarely IF EVER respect a female Marine the same as her male counterpart, simply because she is not held to the same standards. She will have an easier boot camp, and easier physical fitness test, easier weight standards. She will not be expected to go to combat, and if she does she will certainly NOT be able to carry a full grown man in combat gear out of the killzone. I weigh 200lbs and am 6 feet 1 inch, in full combat gear I weigh over 250lbs. Thats nearly double the avg female. If I cant trust her by my side in combat because she is physically weak, and I cant trust that she has been trained to MY level, then why should I have any respect for her as a Marine?

Have there been female Marines that I respected? Yes. My Gysgt is a peurto rican fireball that will eff you up in an instant, but she is in the 1% of female Marines. Most WM's (women marines) I know have spent a good majority of their time in service sucking for stripes, malingering, or trolling the barracks for schlong.

Now, lets assume your daughter is a straight laced, good to go, hardcharging and honorable girl. She will still contend with a culture that is male oriented. She will deal with sexual advances, she will deal with nasty environments, and just generally a non-female friendly place.

But, if she still wants to take on the challenge, more power to her. We need females with strong bodies, minds, hearts, and morals. A strong heart is a must, because we watch females quit on a daily basis at everything from formation runs to swim qual. If she has a fighters heart and was raised well, then she will be ok.

Having said all of this, I would advise my daughter to go AF.

Marines, if what I just posted is untrue, please pm me and we can discuss what I should add/edit/remove.
Old 07-21-2011, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
Ive thought about how to put this respectfully for day now and just cant find the right words, so please, bear with me and take whatever I have to not as an insult but as my attempt at good advice:

The Marine Corps is a rough place with rough edges and rough people. The closer you get to a combat MOS, the rougher your life will be. Think back to when you were 18-22, and now imagine 200,000 18-22 year old men with nearly complete freedom and constant testosterone filled competitions, all together. We drink, smoke, fight, screw, cuss, get tattooed, and spend alot of money. Now, throw a female Marine into that equation.

Many females in the military are sexually assaulted and taken advantage of. Many lose their self-respect and become EXTREMELY promiscuous. Male Marines will rarely IF EVER respect a female Marine the same as her male counterpart, simply because she is not held to the same standards. She will have an easier boot camp, and easier physical fitness test, easier weight standards. She will not be expected to go to combat, and if she does she will certainly NOT be able to carry a full grown man in combat gear out of the killzone. I weigh 200lbs and am 6 feet 1 inch, in full combat gear I weigh over 250lbs. Thats nearly double the avg female. If I cant trust her by my side in combat because she is physically weak, and I cant trust that she has been trained to MY level, then why should I have any respect for her as a Marine?

Have there been female Marines that I respected? Yes. My Gysgt is a peurto rican fireball that will eff you up in an instant, but she is in the 1% of female Marines. Most WM's (women marines) I know have spent a good majority of their time in service sucking for stripes, malingering, or trolling the barracks for schlong.

Now, lets assume your daughter is a straight laced, good to go, hardcharging and honorable girl. She will still contend with a culture that is male oriented. She will deal with sexual advances, she will deal with nasty environments, and just generally a non-female friendly place.

But, if she still wants to take on the challenge, more power to her. We need females with strong bodies, minds, hearts, and morals. A strong heart is a must, because we watch females quit on a daily basis at everything from formation runs to swim qual. If she has a fighters heart and was raised well, then she will be ok.

Having said all of this, I would advise my daughter to go AF.

Marines, if what I just posted is untrue, please pm me and we can discuss what I should add/edit/remove.
Thank you for being blunt with me it's what I needed. I very much appreciate the reply. I will talk to her tonight about this, She is a great girl but I do not want her becoming any of this because we have spent her whole life teaching her the opposite. Again thank you for being so blunt and for your knowledge in all this.
Old 07-21-2011, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you for being blunt with me it's what I needed. I very much appreciate the reply. I will talk to her tonight about this, She is a great girl but I do not want her becoming any of this because we have spent her whole life teaching her the opposite. Again thank you for being so blunt and for your knowledge in all this.
The Marine Corps as a whole is an honorable organization filled with some real heroes. Dont get the message mixed up. Its just that there are some parts to it that I'd rather me daughter never see or experience. But, if she truly wanted to, then I would make sure she was in it for the right reasons, knew the risks and the downsides, and had alot of support back home. If you let your daughter know all the things I told you, and she still says she wants to be a Marine, then Im sure she'll be alright. Just continue to be the supporting father you already are, let her know that there is no quitting, but that you'll be there every step of the way to push her forward.
Old 07-21-2011, 9:11 PM

themailman speaks the truth here.

nothing to add about females in the Corps.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post

+1, Some of us offer no respect or concessions to those who don't meet the standards. If you want to know how I feel on the matter, then PM me.
"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 07-22-2011, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

I have to agree with themailman as well.

While I have no direct Marine Corps experience, I have a friend who did 14 years and served in some very elite USMC units, so his experience is not without merit. We once discussed this very subject regarding a daughter. He said if a military consideration was ever going to be on the table, she should work her butt off in school and extracurricular activities and aim for the Air Force Academy...
Old 07-22-2011, 2:31 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
I would think yes, I tried to get the MOS in the army (none were open at the time), but the catch is the army requires one be able to lift 100 pounds of dead weight to be an armorer.

So I suspect the Marines have a similar requirment. Remember, being a small arms armorer is essentially anything that's not a vehicle mounted rocket launcher. So one needs to be able to manipulate some pretty heavy things.
The weight issue is interesting, thanks for sharing

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 07-23-2011, 8:07 AM

+1 to the mailman, thats a very accurate depiction of the walking mattress that we call Women Marines. Due to my MOS ive never served with any WMs but ive seen them malingering around on crutches and maternity camis. I cant even think of one time where they were actually doing anything that would merit any kind of respect. Tell her to join the AF. Far better and more "women Friendly" enviornment.
Old 07-23-2011, 8:43 AM

Default Women in the military

I would have to agree with the mailman as well. I worked with a few WM's from time to time throughout my 4 year pump, and I always treated them with respect, regardless of the lesser standard. But It was clear that many had a really hard time dealing with the other 99.99% of the marine corps. Some were doorknobs, others were cautious, a few your stronghearted and minded and Most HAD to become hard to the life. A tiny few were passionate about their Corps, but most couldnt keep up in on company run. But there were a few acceptions and with respect, I don't think I'll ever forget them.
Old 07-23-2011, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taladeganite View Post
I would have to agree with the mailman as well.
+1

Not a Marine but I've work with them long enough to learn the lifestyle. I will never recommend my daughter join any branch of the military as well.
"The warrior doesn't switch that off. He tones it down based on the threat, but he's still alert and prepared. He constantly thinks and evaluates what he is doing so he can outsmart the opposition all the time - Matt Larsen"
Old 07-23-2011, 3:24 PM

Ive been in the Marines since 2005, and one of my best friends is currently a recruiter, by all means pm me with any questions, I'll do what I can to answer them, or get a hold of my friend. Im currently in Okinawa Japan so there is a time delay though.
Old 07-23-2011, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post

Indeed. Though I'll support their decision, I don't intend to either encourage nor discourage my sons from joining, but I would actively discourage my daughters.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14