Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Default Insert your sheriff's name here...

Discussing a billboard on another thread here. Thought about this as a handout postcard. Or even an inexpensive business card. Leave them around town wherever you go. Especially where there are a lot of women. Could be made universal "California" or with your favorite anti gun sheriff or politician's name on it. Ideas?

photos are used by permission from Oleg Volk at www.a-human-right.com

find me on face book at California Carry

Last edited by The Rattler; 11-13-2010 at 8:52 AM..
Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I like this one. I liked your other billboard also, but too many words. You have a couple of seconds to capture someone's glance while they are driving.

I recommend the folloowing:

The picture of the lady holding the gun: Choice

The picture of the lady laying in the water: Victim

"Which do you choose?"

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Beyond a simple message, your audience should have one action takeaway. What do you want them to do when they read it?

www.gotcarry.org

Last edited by wildhawker; 11-11-2010 at 2:04 PM..
Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Guess this really wouldn't apply to Sheriff Mims.
Good idea though.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM
AKA: Joe Censored

I agree that its too long. I would probably go with the same pictures, but next to the bottom picture simply put:

"Self Defense" of YOUR LIFE isn't good cause for a concealed carry permit. Ask Him Why?

or

He would rather you DIE than save yourself with a concealed carry permit. Ask Him Why?

or

She wasn't politically connected, she wasn't a millionaire, she didn't donate to his campaign, so "Self Defense" of her life wasn't good cause for a concealed carry permit. Ask Him Why?

Last edited by stix213; 11-11-2010 at 11:48 AM..
Old 11-11-2010, 1:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why would I do that?
The Kern County Sheriff is as close to shall issue as you are going to find in CA.
Old 11-11-2010, 1:34 PM

Sandra Hutchins, she's a real winner, or actually not.

Last edited by ocspeedracer; 11-11-2010 at 2:09 PM..
Old 11-11-2010, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
Why would I do that?
The Kern County Sheriff is as close to shall issue as you are going to find in CA.
Then insert,"The California State Senate" instead of the Sheriff's name.
Old 11-11-2010, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legasat View Post
...I recommend the following:

The picture of the lady holding the gun: Choice

The picture of the lady laying in the water: Victim

"Which do you choose?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Beyond a simple message, your audience should have one action takeaway...

www.gotcarry.org
^^^These!

Simple attention grabbers and a takeaway. Done & done.
Old 11-12-2010, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

An even more valuable use of these cards might be to urge people to take action and get their CCWs in counties that are virtual shall-issue. It was mentioned in another thread that there are too few Sac. County residents who are getting CCWs. These under windshield wipers or handed out at gun shows might help change that.

I like Oleg's imagery and the call to action "Sacramento County is now issuing Concealed Weapons Permits to law-abiding citizens; visit www.gotccw.org for details" (or something similar) Might help us get those numbers up much higher.

Find out where people who would like/need CCWs are likely to go, women's self-defense classes, courthouses for those who are there as victims or witnesses, the "bad part of town" where law abiding people are more likely to be victimized, shooting ranges and gun stores obviously.

There is no reason at all that every gun store in Sac County doesn't have some signage that notifies their customers that they CAN GET A CCW. It is not only a service to their customers but will bolster their business in carry guns and all sorts of holsters etc. It would be awesome if some calgunners would volunteer to work up a set of documents, business cards, post cards, buck slips and full page papers, that we could give to each gun store on a disk that they could use to print off handouts for their customers. If anyone wants to volunteer I will help with editing do what I can to make sure you have the right graphics and permission etc.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-12-2010, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

An even more valuable use of these cards might be to urge people to take action and get their CCWs in counties that are virtual shall-issue. It was mentioned in another thread that there are too few Sac. County residents who are getting CCWs. These under windshield wipers or handed out at gun shows might help change that.

I like Oleg's imagery and the call to action "Sacramento County is now issuing Concealed Weapons Permits to law-abiding citizens; visit www.gotccw.org for details" (or something similar) Might help us get those numbers up much higher.

Find out where people who would like/need CCWs are likely to go, women's self-defense classes, courthouses for those who are there as victims or witnesses, the "bad part of town" where law abiding people are more likely to be victimized, shooting ranges and gun stores obviously.

There is no reason at all that every gun store in Sac County doesn't have some signage that notifies their customers that they CAN GET A CCW. It is not only a service to their customers but will bolster their business in carry guns and all sorts of holsters etc. It would be awesome if some calgunners would volunteer to work up a set of documents, business cards, post cards, buck slips and full page papers, that we could give to each gun store on a disk that they could use to print off handouts for their customers. If anyone wants to volunteer I will help with editing do what I can to make sure you have the right graphics and permission etc.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-12-2010, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Be careful, on a factual basis, that woman was denied a CCW by no-one in California. You can't say "Sheriff XYZ denied her" unless he did. You could say "Sheriff XYZ would almost certainly have denied her a CCW" but I don't think you can go further.

Better if it said something more like "Women are routinely denied the right to help themselves, is this the price YOU want to pay?"

That wording isn't right either, but it avoids a lawsuit from some sheriff saying "You're personally blaming me for her death and I was in no way responsible. Here's a lawsuit."

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Last edited by Glock22Fan; 11-12-2010 at 3:27 PM..
Old 11-12-2010, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

OR . . . .

Picture of Lady with weapon: Right Exercised . . . .

Picture of drowned victim: Right Denied . . . .

. . . . Why?
Old 11-12-2010, 4:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
Be careful, on a factual basis, that woman was denied a CCW by no-one in California. You can't say "Sheriff XYZ denied her" unless he did. You could say "Sheriff XYZ would almost certainly have denied her a CCW" but I don't think you can go further.

Better if it said something more like "Women are routinely denied the right to help themselves, is this the price YOU want to pay?"

That wording isn't right either, but it avoids a lawsuit from some sheriff saying "You're personally blaming me for her death and I was in no way responsible. Here's a lawsuit."
In that case, the woman in the picture is an actress / model, I assume, and isn't dead at all.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Banned

"Sheriff X's ideal=model in corpse makeup picture"
"Civil rights ideal=model looking alive and well in same clothing picture"
Old 11-13-2010, 12:26 AM

While I think that making these is a GREAT idea, I really do believe that the text must be VERY CAREFULLY SCRUTINISED before it is decided upon. We need to make it very clear what our objective is, and our argument for it, while not automatically turning people off to it or offending their delicate sensibilities. I am normally the gung ho, DGAF what your opnions are because it is MY RIGHT kind of guy when it comes to RKBA/2A, but our objective is to win people over, not automatically turn them against us. So we need to be a little more careful what we say, and how we say it. Our goal is to get them to realize what is happening to this state, and how to change it for the better.