Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Default CORDOVA SHOOTING CENTER looks like a dump

I did some looking around and stopped by the CORDOVA SHOOTING CENTER

and it looked so run down, and poorly designed, all the wood looks rotted or deteriorated

the rifle range has large wooden structure and you have to sit down low on a table to fire rifles , I didnt see any standing areas to shoot? lots of people like to stand while firing a rifle

the view down range looks terrible, it's like looking down a window down a hole , doesnt look like it would be enjoyable to have to fire your rifle through a blocked off frame structure like shooting under a fence

I dont think they plan on staying in business for very long by the looks of the place, looks too run down , from a distance looks more like an old dog kennel / dog pound.

one of the ugliest ranges Ive seen

Last edited by omega; 03-17-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Old 03-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Are you new to the area, or just finally made your way to Cordova? I agree with you on the range and all it's weird quirks, especially that the rifle and pistol sections are subject to the same cease fire.

There are some positives however, their CCW training and requalification is pretty straight forward. I've seen some decent prices and selection of pistols in the shop amongst other things. I believe the skeet/trap range is decent, although I have yet to try it.
Old 03-12-2018, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

I was just passing through and decided to stop by to look around, I came here back in 1993 and it was the same back then but now more deteriorated

Im guessing they plan on demolishing it in the near future and dont want to fix it up? the gun store was decent but very small selection, and still priced higher than other places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180311_132631.jpg (91.9 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 20180311_132746.jpg (93.1 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by omega; 03-12-2018 at 2:18 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

I've never liked the place nor their safety practices. The fences remind of prison yards. It's extra loud for being an outdoor range and I've found that many of the patrons are the old, grumpy and smug gun owners that like to be in everyone's business or the mall-ninja that wants to put is sweaty hands all over your equipment. Of course, with all ranges, the newbies and hipster shooters are always terrifying to be around.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 03-12-2018, 4:29 PM

I went there once with my family. I was extremely unimpressed. It was not the best first experience with firearms for some of my family.
Old 03-12-2018, 5:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Well you won't have to suffer there any more. They are closing at the end of June. Now the antis can move on to attacking your favorite range....
Old 03-12-2018, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Hands down the absolute WORST outdoor range I've ever been to. The staff are cool, never had any issues with them its just the set up is super awkward. I do like their gun shop, bought a few guns from them.

I dont understand why anyone would go there other than for a CCW class, when Sac Valley is literally a 15min drive down hwy 16.

Sac Valley is so much better, there is really no comparison.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 03-12-2018 at 6:39 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 8:22 PM
In Memoriam

+1 on Sac Valley, no comparison!
Old 03-12-2018, 9:07 PM

Closest outdoor range for me. When I want a quick trip out to check out some new smith work I have done, or some new ammo loads, CSC is just fine. Don't need nuthin fancy. Will miss the rattyness when its gone.
Old 03-12-2018, 9:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It’s a shooting range, not a day spa. Be happy you had a place to shoot.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Wait! They're closing this summer? I thought they got some sort of extension last summer?

Anyway, yeah it's far from the greatest range, but it works. I prefer to go on the weekdays when there's much fewer people (aka the yahoos) plus I could collect the brass on the ground. Especially at the 25 yd line. I guess I'll spend more time at Sac Valley & Lincoln.
Old 03-13-2018, 4:24 PM

Some of you guys are a whiney ingrates.

That range was a gift from when Mather AFB closed down.

If you don't like it don't go there.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sghart View Post
Some of you guys are a whiney ingrates.

That range was a gift from when Mather AFB closed down.

If you don't like it don't go there.
Huh? Cordova Shooting Center had no affiliation with Mather other than the owner, Hal Glaze, retired from the base.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

super friendly staff, good shotgun area but the range is a dump and a magnet for gangbangers and their hipoints.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Since they’re closing that means Sac Valley and other preferred ranges will get more crowded
Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Went to the gun range in north highlands and had to wait 3 hours, the next day I went to the sac gun club and waited 45 mins. The following weekend I tried Cordova and was the only one there for 30-45 mins. I’ll definitely miss this when it’s gone.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPOED View Post
Went to the gun range in north highlands and had to wait 3 hours, the next day I went to the sac gun club and waited 45 mins. The following weekend I tried Cordova and was the only one there for 30-45 mins. I’ll definitely miss this when it’s gone.
yeah i dont shoot at the gun range just because of how crazy it is.

ive never waited at sac gun club. glad to hear its busy.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:20 PM

sac gun club is weird on weekends, especially when that glock competition is there, everything is filled up. I go every Sunday, and one week it'll just be me in the rifle range, the next week, its stuffed with overflow from the pistol ranges.

I did go to Cordova a few weeks ago on a Monday, during a lunch hour, and they had a couple people there. IMO it looks about the same as it did when I started shooting just a little over a year ago. Which, is to say, could use a little renovating...
Old 03-14-2018, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
super friendly staff, good shotgun area but the range is a dump and a magnet for gangbangers and their hipoints.

That is what I have also experienced with The Gun Range. The last time that I was there, there was a saggy pants dude walking up to the firing line with an AK in one hand and a 1911 in the other, mags in. I thought they weren't loaded until he started firing them immediately after approaching the line. Exposed firearms were at the back tables. Actions forward and mags in. Folks rapid firing and not hitting anything on the target.

I told the staff that those practices are unsafe and concerning. Their reply, "What can we do?" IT'S YOUR FREAKING RANGE! Control it!

It is still beyond me why they chamber check in the lobby with so many people waiting. That's just dangerous and stupid. Also, what the heck is the point of chamber checking in the lobby when you let all of that mess happen in the range itself?

There is simply no sense of firearms safety there. All I ever see are idiots who would end up furthering the cause of the anti-gun movement. So many mall-ninjas and police "clients" there.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

Last edited by code_blue; 03-14-2018 at 1:31 PM..
Old 05-02-2018, 7:14 AM

Looks like they're officially closing now, June 20th according to their sales flyer.

Sucks to lose another shop/range, regardless of state of disrepair.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM

I started shooting there in 1979 when the Air Force parked me at Mather AFB....it’s always been “rustic”.

Fortunately Hal Glaze passed a few years ago so he didn’t have to see this, but the urban sprawl finally ate them up.
Old 05-02-2018, 4:07 PM

By Rancho Cordova standards, it's a high-end resort.
Old 05-02-2018, 7:27 PM

Other than we cannot afford to lose more gun ranges this one is not much of a loss in terms of encouraging people to keep up their skills. Not really impressed with the range master on my CCW testing either. Maybe it was just a bad day for him.
Old 05-02-2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
Other than we cannot afford to lose more gun ranges this one is not much of a loss in terms of encouraging people to keep up their skills. Not really impressed with the range master on my CCW testing either. Maybe it was just a bad day for him.
They’ve been on the block for over a year. RC Parks wouldn’t fund renovations or grant a new contract. Everybody there has been having a bad day for a long time.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:30 AM

Definitely not a fan of Jones but thank you for the information as that explains a lot and puts the lack of upkeep right where it belongs with RC Parks. Sounds like another backdoor force out of a facility to make way for more subdivisions like they did to the private airports years ago. Again thanks for the information
Old 05-09-2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
Definitely not a fan of Jones but thank you for the information as that explains a lot and puts the lack of upkeep right where it belongs with RC Parks. Sounds like another backdoor force out of a facility to make way for more subdivisions like they did to the private airports years ago. Again thanks for the information
The same fate awaits Sacramento Raceway
Old 05-09-2018, 6:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
Hands down the absolute WORST outdoor range I've ever been to. The staff are cool, never had any issues with them its just the set up is super awkward. I do like their gun shop, bought a few guns from them.

I dont understand why anyone would go there other than for a CCW class, when Sac Valley is literally a 15min drive down hwy 16.

Sac Valley is so much better, there is really no comparison.
2 minute drive from my house in Rancho Cordova, and affordable prices. Range is nice enough. It is a shooting range not a massage parlor. Doesn't need to be pretty or fancy.
Old 05-10-2018, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
2 minute drive from my house in Rancho Cordova, and affordable prices. Range is nice enough. It is a shooting range not a massage parlor. Doesn't need to be pretty or fancy.
Thank-you. I am completely befuddled by folks who pay a reasonable fee over decades to shoot up someone's property, then complain that the property is all shot up.

As far as the additional drive time to from CSC to Sac Valley, the distance is 20 miles over two-lane, heavily-trafficked roads and through two school areas, Rancho Murietta, and then the rural Ione and Meiss roads. Anyone making that drive in 15 minutes is averaging 80mph.
Old 05-14-2018, 4:46 PM

I went to Cordova ONCE and never went back. Safety level scared me to death and there are way to many wanna-be gang bangers shooting sideways.

Depending on where you are, Yolo Sportmen's Club between David and West Sac is very good on safety and lane availability. It's pretty bare bones and the Range Masters are very serious, but it's the best kept secret in the area.

Sacrament Valley Shooting center is the very best in the area, hands down. If you're new to the area be VERY careful on Jackson Highway and don't go over the speed limit, ever. I don't even pass when I'm allowed. But it's still worth it to get to Sac Valley.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
I went to Cordova ONCE and never went back. Safety level scared me to death and there are way to many wanna-be gang bangers shooting sideways.

Depending on where you are, Yolo Sportmen's Club between David and West Sac is very good on safety and lane availability. It's pretty bare bones and the Range Masters are very serious, but it's the best kept secret in the area.

Sacrament Valley Shooting center is the very best in the area, hands down. If you're new to the area be VERY careful on Jackson Highway and don't go over the speed limit, ever. I don't even pass when I'm allowed. But it's still worth it to get to Sac Valley.
While I have seen that sort of thing at open ranges (Oroville for example) never saw it at Cordova Shooting Center. Never saw any unsafe behavior there, and I practically lived there for a number of years when I had more time and money than I knew what to do with.

Now that I am living in the East Bay, and not a single range near me has a functioning rifle range...I am of the opinion Cordova Shooting Center is a magical unicorn to be loved, cherished, worshiped and adored.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder and you do not realize what you've got until it is gone my friend.
Old 05-15-2018, 4:15 PM

I have only shot there a few times over the years, but I did not have any issues.

The employees were always great.
Old 05-15-2018, 5:27 PM

I have so many great memories from this range. I know it was far from perfect..but I'm still going to miss it!
Old 05-15-2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Thank-you. I am completely befuddled by folks who pay a reasonable fee over decades to shoot up someone's property, then complain that the property is all shot up.

As far as the additional drive time to from CSC to Sac Valley, the distance is 20 miles over two-lane, heavily-trafficked roads and through two school areas, Rancho Murietta, and then the rural Ione and Meiss roads. Anyone making that drive in 15 minutes is averaging 80mph.
Quote:
While I have seen that sort of thing at open ranges (Oroville for example) never saw it at Cordova Shooting Center. Never saw any unsafe behavior there, and I practically lived there for a number of years when I had more time and money than I knew what to do with.

Now that I am living in the East Bay, and not a single range near me has a functioning rifle range...I am of the opinion Cordova Shooting Center is a magical unicorn to be loved, cherished, worshiped and adored.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder and you do not realize what you've got until it is gone my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Swole View Post
I have so many great memories from this range. I know it was far from perfect..but I'm still going to miss it!
Yep^^^^

I've been shooting there since it first opened, I'm going to miss it.

Old 05-28-2018, 6:16 AM

Quote:
While I am sad to lose another range, this one had to either change or go. I only went there once, and that was deliberate. I don’t care that it looked rundown. That’s often the case with gun ranges. But the safety there was by far the worst I had ever encountered.

At the cease-fire there was a man fumbling with his pistol on the firing line in the stall just left of the range master’s office. I went in there to alert the range master and he was in there making out with some girl! The guy was probably in his early 20s. When I informed him that there is someone on the firing line handling his weapon while people were downrange, he just looked at me and said something like,”Don’t tell me how to do my job, just go back and shoot.” That’s not a direct quote but pretty close.

That was all I needed to hear. I packed up my things and went back to the shop and let them know what was going on down there, and that they needed a range master who could do the job. I’ve vowed never to go back, and now it looks as though I’ll never have to break that vow.
Old 05-28-2018, 6:46 AM

Never went there often except for the CCW training. It always looked like a dump, it was just a matter of time after the owner passed on a couple years back and the retail places opening up across the street.

Still sorry to see them go.

In this life you either push or get shoved.

Better to die on your feet then live on your knees.

For evil to succeed, all it takes is for good men to do nothing.
Old 05-28-2018, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

One less place to shoot. Progress eh. Guess old George at Coon Creek will be the closest option for clays.
Old 05-28-2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Exposed firearms were at the back tables. Actions forward and mags in. There is simply no sense of firearms safety there.
Fully agree, once was enough for me.

I've never shot at Cordova, but I they did have some awesome sales.
Old 05-28-2018, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Can't stop progress, I guess.
Old 07-01-2018, 5:54 AM

Grandfather and Hal were good friends at the Mather rod and gun club as I recall. Remember pheasant hunting on Mather back when there were still B-52s stretched out wing-to-wing as far as your eye could see. It was like a mini South Dakota for upland birds.

I’ve avoided Cordova for years but it was mainly due to the riffraff.