Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-29-2018, 8:39 PM

Default Cci stingers in cz 455 varmint

Have any of you guys had experience with cci stingers in you CZ’s. I have read up on it. Some say they work fine some say they don’t. What are your guys opinions on them.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:48 AM
CGSSA Leader

Won't hurt anything. I wouldn't feed them through a finicky semi but CZ bolts are not particular.

It's a gimmick round. High velocity but light weight means it decelerates very quickly, and the transonic transition will be terrible. They're great for exploding water bottles inside 20 meters, not much else.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hyper velocity 22 lr are great on fruits and veggies with 1 leter soda bottle chasers. Accuracy isn't great IME. They will be fine in any good 22 rifle. Semi auto pistols, not so much.
Buy a box and run 'em.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-30-2018, 12:03 PM

Yeah I was given 1k of them and just wanted to be sure if I could shoot them or not since the brass is a little longer then normal LR.
Old 06-30-2018, 7:55 PM
CGSSA Leader

Yup, you're fine.

.22 LR is what's called an "overmold" cartridge -- the case mouth doesn't contact anything, because the bullet is the full width of the chamber. This allows for different brass lengths. You will get away with shooting .22 Shorts, Longs, or those weird Aguila SSS rounds in a bolt-action .22. Stingers are the same idea, just longer brass instead of shorter.

In the past I have run Stingers through my Marlin semi without drama. Never tried and wouldn't try with a pistol, though.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 07-02-2018, 6:44 PM

I noticed when chambering the round that the bolt is a little stiffer to close then on a regular LR. Will fire a few and see if anything changes or not since the gun is brand new.
Old 07-02-2018, 7:04 PM

You got 1k Stingers as a gift?!
I want your friends!
Old 07-02-2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
You got 1k Stingers as a gift?!
I want your friends!
Yeah my father in law bought them and gave them to me.
Old 07-03-2018, 9:38 AM

Google is your friend

Q: “Can I shoot CCI Stingers or long-for-chambering Sub-Sonic ammo in my CZ?”
A: Our 22 LR rifles are built to tight tolerances for increased accuracy, and our chamber is what other manufacturers might refer to as a ‘Match’ chamber. The tight tolerances mean overly long cartridges may not fit, so Stingers and some large sub-sonic loads will be too long to allow the bolt to close with ease.

http://cz-usa.com/support/faq/
Old 07-03-2018, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
Google is your friend

Q: “Can I shoot CCI Stingers or long-for-chambering Sub-Sonic ammo in my CZ?”
A: Our 22 LR rifles are built to tight tolerances for increased accuracy, and our chamber is what other manufacturers might refer to as a ‘Match’ chamber. The tight tolerances mean overly long cartridges may not fit, so Stingers and some large sub-sonic loads will be too long to allow the bolt to close with ease.

http://cz-usa.com/support/faq/
I googled it, looked at some discussions on rimfire central and a few more. The consensus was always 50/50. Just figured I would ask here. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Stingers are slightly longer in case length than regular LR, and some chambers are not compatible, Match being one, and Benz another. Sporter chambers eat them just fine. I think you should Czech the specs on your Chee-zee. That extra effort you are feeling is likely the bullet being forced into the rifling.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 07-03-2018, 3:44 PM

Thanks guys. After feeling the difference when chambering them I will just shoot them out of the old marlin.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 PM

I shot a couple boxes from my CZ455 American and strangely enough, they were one of the more accurate rounds I found (and I compared at least a dozen different brands including all the expensive "match" types from Eley and RWS).

My experience with them has been very good, but not that much better than Federal Automatch or Aguila standard velocity, which both produce great accuracy in my CZ. (however it is even more accurate with the 17HMR barrel!)