Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-25-2012, 9:57 PM

Default Reporting unregistered vehicle

Hello LEO friends,
One of my neighbors has been skipping out on paying car registration for about 4 years now. He purchased a Nissan 350Z vehicle in July/Aug 2011 and has never had a license plate on his vehicle. Prior to that, he had a BMW with Texas plates that hadn't been registered since 2009.

I have reported his name and address, make/model to the CHP Cheaters website, however, nothing has changed. Is there a better way to report this information? I would get the VIN number, but the apartment complex has installed video surveillance and I do not want to be taped snooping around his vehicle.

It drives me nuts that this guy has been getting out of paying his registration for 4 years and he drives a nice sports car.

Maybe I should just let Karma have at him.
Old 09-26-2012, 5:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker650 View Post
Hello LEO friends,
One of my neighbors has been skipping out on paying car registration for about 4 years now. He purchased a Nissan 350Z vehicle in July/Aug 2011 and has never had a license plate on his vehicle. Prior to that, he had a BMW with Texas plates that hadn't been registered since 2009.

I have reported his name and address, make/model to the CHP Cheaters website, however, nothing has changed. Is there a better way to report this information? I would get the VIN number, but the apartment complex has installed video surveillance and I do not want to be taped snooping around his vehicle.

It drives me nuts that this guy has been getting out of paying his registration for 4 years and he drives a nice sports car.

I see you have joined the state in turning neighbor against neighbor. Personally, the bolded/underlined statement sticks out at me.

Are you irked because of that? Why? He has a better car than you? Are you jealous of something? Is that your motivation? You know when he does get popped, he will pay a hefty fine, right?

The intent is for the state to collect the proper taxes because it goes to maintain the same roads and services that he is using, not because he has a nice sports car and is driving you nuts.

But hey, whatever works on turning people against each other for the state's revenue purposes.

If you think DMV is not coming after your neighbor for having a nice sports car, flag down a cruiser in front of your house next time and tell them, or call your local CHP office/Police department and rat your neighbor out. You might have better luck, depending on how busy your neighborhood is.
Old 09-26-2012, 6:24 AM

unless you get a cut of the fine ( ), or he voluntarily decides to pay you(without any kind of persuasion), I would myob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 09-26-2012, 6:43 AM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

To play devils advocate, are you sure that he just isn't leaving the paper plates on the car, but has fully paid registration? I know some people with "nice" cars like to drive around pretending their have a "new" car with the paper plates and temp sticker in the window, even though they have fully paid tags. Some do that also to skip out on paying toll fines and red light cameras. So, it is possible that he is just a poser or doing it to avoid traffic fines instead of skipping out on paying registration.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Sometimes things go wonky on the DMV end of things too...

I had a vehicle without plates for nearly 18 months due to some hiccup with regard to the car's importation into the US.

I had fully paid 1 year's worth of registration at the time of purchase. Then a year later I had an absolute bear of a time getting the car re-registered for another year when it didn't yet have plates assigned to it.

The most irritating part of the whole fiasco was that I had my Amateur Radio plates ready to go on throughout the entire ordeal (from my previous car) Which is a whole other batch of silliness from the DMV - They won't let you reassign plates to a car which doesn't yet have plates assigned...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

I think you should be more concerned on who your neighbor is going to vote for come November. That's a more serious matter that pertains to all.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-26-2012, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, guys, but if everyone paid their registration fairly, maybe the rest of us wouldnt get hosed so bad.

I don't mind paying my fair share, but I'm tired of paying someone else's share too.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 09-26-2012, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Sometimes things go wonky on the DMV end of things too...

I had a vehicle without plates for nearly 18 months due to some hiccup with regard to the car's importation into the US.

I had fully paid 1 year's worth of registration at the time of purchase. Then a year later I had an absolute bear of a time getting the car re-registered for another year when it didn't yet have plates assigned to it.

The most irritating part of the whole fiasco was that I had my Amateur Radio plates ready to go on throughout the entire ordeal (from my previous car) Which is a whole other batch of silliness from the DMV - They won't let you reassign plates to a car which doesn't yet have plates assigned...
I can attest to that first hand as I am going through it right now with an out of state car... WHICH I DEPOSITED THE FEES FOR BEFORE THE CAR EVEN GOT HERE IN CA... and it's been more than a month and a half and DMV can't send me the paperwork... after a ton of phone calls up to Sactown, and getting a different answer every single time, I am now waiting for a call back after they look into what happened with my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Yeah, guys, but if everyone paid their registration fairly, maybe the rest of us wouldnt get hosed so bad.

I don't mind paying my fair share, but I'm tired of paying someone else's share too.
I don't disagree that people need to pay their fees and taxes. Not at all. Everyone needs to pay their fair share. Everyone. That means nobody should get off with not paying any taxes, or worse, getting money back via EITC or other welfare/HUD handouts.

But it's what the OP said that made this different. He was mad because the guy drove a NICE car. What the hell does that matter to him? I got neighbors with 6 figure cars parked in the driveway or on the street even. Half the houses have a Benz or BMW or Porsche, or two, in the garage. I couldn't even tell you who has a plate or a current reg. I have a life, and it doesn't include playing off duty DMV detective.

Besides, the few hundred bucks on VLF and Reg fees aren't even taxes. The assessed local and state taxes on the total fees are miniscule. So in the relative scale of things, worrying about who's paying property tax or income tax is a bigger worry since one year of property or income tax can pay for literally a whole fleet of cars.
Old 09-26-2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I see you have joined the state in turning neighbor against neighbor. Personally, the bolded/underlined statement sticks out at me.

Are you irked because of that? Why? He has a better car than you? Are you jealous of something? Is that your motivation? You know when he does get popped, he will pay a hefty fine, right?

The intent is for the state to collect the proper taxes because it goes to maintain the same roads and services that he is using, not because he has a nice sports car and is driving you nuts.

But hey, whatever works on turning people against each other for the state's revenue purposes.

If you think DMV is not coming after your neighbor for having a nice sports car, flag down a cruiser in front of your house next time and tell them, or call your local CHP office/Police department and rat your neighbor out. You might have better luck, depending on how busy your neighborhood is.
HAHA, I knew I was going to get a response like this.

I can understand how you can think that I am upset that he has a nice car, but no, that was not what I meant. What I meant was that since he drives a nice car, he obviously has money. Since he has money, he shouldn't have a reason not to pay his registration fees.
Old 09-26-2012, 8:47 PM

What part of So Cal are you in?

If it is in his driveway, it's essentially untouchable. When it pulls out onto the street, it's towable if the registration really is expired over 6 months.

I get your frustration. I paid mine, you should pay yours. I get the whole nice car means you should have money. However, without looking into it fully (i.e. running plates, etc) it's difficult to assume, since often the outcome can make the reporting party look foolish. I've seen it happen before, and I'm sure it will happen again.

If you're in my neck of the woods, I'll check it out. Just understand, while it's on private property, it's untouchable unless it's stolen.
Old 09-26-2012, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbackouris View Post
What part of So Cal are you in?

If it is in his driveway, it's essentially untouchable. When it pulls out onto the street, it's towable if the registration really is expired over 6 months.

I get your frustration. I paid mine, you should pay yours. I get the whole nice car means you should have money. However, without looking into it fully (i.e. running plates, etc) it's difficult to assume, since often the outcome can make the reporting party look foolish. I've seen it happen before, and I'm sure it will happen again.

If you're in my neck of the woods, I'll check it out. Just understand, while it's on private property, it's untouchable unless it's stolen.
If you're not LEO, please belay my post. If you are, IMO, serving as an enforcement proxy for disgruntled posters is not a good idea.
Old 09-26-2012, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hello LEO friends,

Why get into the middle of this? That's part of the job of traffic officers. At some point, he'll get lit up and the matter will get resolved.
Old 09-26-2012, 9:17 PM

Jealousy. Dood probably has more money and a better looking wife.. Report a real crime..
Old 09-27-2012, 5:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
HAHA, I knew I was going to get a response like this.

I can understand how you can think that I am upset that he has a nice car, but no, that was not what I meant. What I meant was that since he drives a nice car, he obviously has money. Since he has money, he shouldn't have a reason not to pay his registration fees.
Quote:
This is why.

And no, it's not that I "think" you are upset because he has a nice car... it's because you said... "It drives me nuts... and he drives a nice sports car."

Took it right out of your own words.
Old 09-27-2012, 5:53 AM
Banned

MYOB
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If you're not LEO, please belay my post. If you are, IMO, serving as an enforcement proxy for disgruntled posters is not a good idea.
God forbid a cop try to help someone. It's frowned upon to actually try to solve problems now?
Old 09-27-2012, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Ron, I'm shaking you, trying to wake you! You're having a "good" dream !!!! !!! !!! !!!

Did you for get that you (we) live in Kalivornia! Even if "everybody" paid their taxes and vehicle registration, the Dems would still figure out a way to collect more and more and more!

It is and never will be..... "enough taxes" imposed on us here in Cali.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-27-2012, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

Reg fees don't get spread around anyway. It's based on the value of your car and projected depreciation. The actual tax component is so minuscule as to be relatively a non-issue even if spread around compared to all the other taxes people escape.
Old 09-27-2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:

I have a nice truck and my wife has a nice tahoe. Yet I'm still broke, I also have a nice house and cool toys. Some times looks can be deceiving.

A 350z is not the same as a brand new BMW or range rover. MYOB. If you feel the need to worry, worry about the A-holes abusing OUR tax dollars by via welfare, EBT, Medicare.......etc the list goes on.
Old 09-28-2012, 4:35 PM

Let you local CHP office know. Its going to be a bit difficult due to the vehicle being parked on private property, but you never know. Personally I LOVE impounding people who dont pay their taxes and try to cheat the system...especially if they are "freemen on the land" types...

My truck is 4 years old and cost $700 to register this year. Would I like not to pay it? Yup..did I pay it? Yup..

Operating a vehicle on the roads is not a right...
Old 09-28-2012, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

My guess is he is doing it to avoid the toll/speeding/red light cameras.

i've got a neighbor that does the same thing. they have 2 or 3 cars and none have permanent plates. I think they try to portray themselves as "successful". I think they call that boughetto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Scully
Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William James
I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.
Old 09-28-2012, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalado View Post
My truck is 4 years old and cost $700 to register this year. Would I like not to pay it? Yup..did I pay it? Yup..
What kind of truck is that? My 8 year old Ram is less than $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalado View Post
Operating a vehicle on the roads is not a right...
Tell that to all the people who think they have a right and to deny certain people that right is racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrotuniformlima View Post
My guess is he is doing it to avoid the toll/speeding/red light cameras.

i've got a neighbor that does the same thing. they have 2 or 3 cars and none have permanent plates. I think they try to portray themselves as "successful". I think they call that boughetto.
Ghettofabulous.
Old 09-28-2012, 5:02 PM

Myob
Old 09-28-2012, 5:09 PM

maybe he is protesting nosey neighbors?? i had police come to my house because nosy neighbor called them about "abandoned vehicle".. since i am retired my car leaves after he goes to work and is there when he comes home,he thaught "abandoned vehicle".. i showed nice police officer 1. insurance papers 2. current registration 3. sales slip dated that day for groceries.. he said "i am only responding to complaint". stupid people that don't mind their own bussiness deserve to be punished for jumping to conclusions.
my car has the black plates with yellow letters and numbers. been on it since 1964 when it was new. he didn't know you don't have to replace plates all the time.

Last edited by billmaykafer; 09-28-2012 at 5:30 PM..
Old 09-28-2012, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

How do you know his registration is expired for four years?

There are many people who drive around with paper plates for privacy reasons and in their head they still think it's a "new" car.
Old 09-28-2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
This is why.

And no, it's not that I "think" you are upset because he has a nice car... it's because you said... "It drives me nuts... and he drives a nice sports car."

Took it right out of your own words.
Ok, I guess I should have been clearer and have to spell out my exact meanings. I meant it drives me nuts that he doesn't pay his registration. By the way, I am female and I don't care about cars. Go ahead, let the female bashing begin.
Old 09-28-2012, 8:06 PM

I still stick to my post.
Old 09-28-2012, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Ok, I guess I should have been clearer and have to spell out my exact meanings. I meant it drives me nuts that he doesn't pay his registration. By the way, I am female and I don't care about cars. Go ahead, let the female bashing begin.
how do you know he doesn't pay his registration?

as mentioned already no plates doesn't mean he doesn't pay registration
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don't you have some other things to worry about?

I love cars and still don't know any of my neighbor's business as far as their cars are concerned other than that my neighbor who is younger than me has a newer truck.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbackouris View Post
God forbid a cop try to help someone. It's frowned upon to actually try to solve problems now?
I hardly meant that. Giving the OP suggestions on how to resolve the matter is fine. I just think it would probably not be best to get directly involved in the controversy on the job.
Old 10-07-2012, 7:29 AM

Dmv suspends the registration if it is not paid. Plain and simple......don't be envious and focus your energy on improving your life. Your neighbor may have many reasons why he hasn't replaced the plates but I won't speculate on that. He is violating a PC and one day he will get a citation for it..........
Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
What kind of truck is that? My 8 year old Ram is less than $200.
08' F250 Superduty 8,000 lbs...
Old 10-07-2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Hello LEO friends,

I'm glad you aren't my neighbor. Jeez...mind your own business. You're one of the reasons why I hate most people!

Life Member
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

It's clear that many vehicle owners don't have the integrity to do the right thing and do what is REQUIRED by law, regardless of political viewpoints or party affiliation. It's also unfortunate that members here feel that venting about it is somehow, in their opinion, not appropriate for this site. If I'm not mistaken, this is the portion of the forum that allows questions to be asked of the LEOs, regardless of another's perception of motives or observations.

And trust me. I run into deadbeats of all ethnicities, social/economic status and gender. I'm a motor cop. End. Of. Story.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

To many non LEO's posting their opinions here.

To the Op. If it bothers you that much call your local LEO shop and report it. Pretty simple.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 10-08-2012, 7:08 PM

Here you go OP. http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi Report it here.