Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-20-2018, 5:38 PM
Banned

Thumbs down CDCR- Lawsuit Alleges Prison Didn't Accommodate Pregnant Officer

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...prison-officer

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A California correction officer who said she fell while responding to a fight between inmates at a maximum-security prison, causing her to subsequently lose her child, filed a discrimination lawsuit Tuesday claiming state prison officials wouldn't provide reasonable accommodations when she was pregnant.

Sarah Coogle's lawsuit, filed in Kern County Superior Court in Bakersfield, alleges officials at the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation would not allow her to take a less strenuous position without taking a pay cut and losing her benefits or going on unpaid leave.

A spokeswoman for the state prison system, Vicky Waters, said the agency had not yet been served with a copy of the lawsuit and would not comment further.

In January 2017, concerned that she could injure her child if she had to use force to subdue a prisoner, Coogle asked for a position with limited inmate contact — possibly in the prison's accounting or personnel offices — where she wouldn't have to run, she said.

But she was told that wasn't possible and she'd have to either take unpaid leave or accept another position with a cut of about two-thirds of her salary and a loss of benefits, she said.

"I had to remain in my position and risk my child's life," Coogle said.

While working at the California Correctional Institution in Tehachapi in July 2017, Coogle heard an alarm going off in a nearby building. She began running with fellow officers to respond to the potential emergency when she fell on "uneven terrain," she said.

After the fall, Coogle was taken to the hospital and had several follow-up visits with doctors and her obstetrician after having abdominal pain.

In September, she woke with excruciating abdominal pain and was rushed to the hospital. Doctors told her that her unborn child no longer had a heartbeat and "lost her baby due to a placental rupture," Coogle said.

"No man has to bring their child to such a dangerous environment," Coogle said in an interview. "I just want to earn my paycheck but protect my child at the same time."

In addition to unspecified monetary damages, Coogle is also seeking to change the state prison system's policies, which her attorney says highlights stark gender inequality in the workplace.

"It puts women like Sarah in a very terrible situation having to choose between their family and their job," said her attorney, Arnold Peter. "She and her husband are going to have to live with for the rest of their lives."
Old 04-20-2018, 7:35 PM

So wait, she lost her baby 2 Months After her fall? Is that still causally related?
Old 04-20-2018, 7:45 PM
Banned

If she filled out the Workers Comp paperwork right after the fall and I assume she did, then she should be covered for the long term effects. I am only guessing, but as you know, filling out the WC paperwork right away is the key.
Old 04-20-2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
So wait, she lost her baby 2 Months After her fall? Is that still causally related?
It says, "After the fall, Coogle was taken to the hospital and had several follow-up visits with doctors and her obstetrician after having abdominal pain." It sounds like she went to the hospital immediately following the injury. Then, the torn part of the placenta or whatever injury she sustained eventually snowballed into a miscarriage two months later.
Old 04-20-2018, 8:52 PM

I read that, I was just wondering how possible it would be for a placental rupture to be caused by a fall that had occurred two months prior. It also sounds like in July, she would have been at least 7 months pregnant (having requested alternative work back in January) - if she had been my coworker at the time, I would have told her Not to run, that I and the other guys/gals would handle things!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:08 PM

So let's see, she fell and then two months later an object fell from her body? So what, it wasn't a baby according to all the pro abortion females. If she wins the lawsuit then the state would have to admit a fetus is a baby wouldn't it?

Sarcasm aside, I hope she loses. If she was worried about the baby then why didn't she quit and get a safer job. Why does she feel entitled to my tax dollars if she couldn't or wouldn't do the job she was hired for.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 PM
Banned

Why should she quit her career? All she needed to do was be put on light duty as requested during her (temporary) pregnancy. And stop with the “my tax dollars” bit, that gets old.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:54 PM

The state no longer offers "light duty" for pregnancy do to a previous law suit over some male officer wanting same treatment and light duty over his condition. The Women, sisters, daughters of this Department have the option either work your post til few weeks prior to birth or take leave and eat up your own time or take pay cut which is bull crap. This law suit is necessary to fix whats broken with how the Department handles pregnancies.
Old 04-21-2018, 2:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
So let's see, she fell and then two months later an object fell from her body? So what, it wasn't a baby according to all the pro abortion females. If she wins the lawsuit then the state would have to admit a fetus is a baby wouldn't it?

Sarcasm aside, I hope she loses. If she was worried about the baby then why didn't she quit and get a safer job. Why does she feel entitled to my tax dollars if she couldn't or wouldn't do the job she was hired for.
To say I disagree with your position would be a massive understatement.

Here I am.
Old 04-21-2018, 8:15 PM

I feel bad for her situation, but it’s not like he had to work that position she did.
CDCR has a process in place to change assigned positions. She could have bid on first watch, the overnight shift, which has way less inmate contact.

I do think a pregnant woman who requests light duty should be offered an office tech jobs or something like that, but at the pay rate the other office workers receive.
Old 04-23-2018, 3:19 PM

Funny enough, if a male officer were to be arrested for DV or DUI, he'd get to have an administrative placement in the mail room.

In a weird sense, kudos to her for attempting to fully complete her job. Had she not run to the alarm, there would be people knocking on her for "She didn't respond and just sort of strolled by at her leisure because she's pregnant. Must be nice." But yeah, I wonder why she couldn't bid for another post if the department doesn't allow for light duty accommodations.

Last edited by BadKitty; 04-23-2018 at 3:23 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Had she not run to the alarm, there would be people knocking on her for "She didn't respond and just sort of strolled by at her leisure because she's pregnant. Must be nice."
FWIW, as a married father of two, all else being equal, I wouldn't have knocked her for Not responding. Not that long ago, one of my co-workers was pregnant - since she was a solid partner, me and the other guys were happy to pull her weight when she couldn't or was off FMLA...
Old 04-23-2018, 5:10 PM

So how exactly is a pregnant woman considered a prison guard? She should have been yanked out immediately.
Old 04-28-2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoLo626x View Post
The state no longer offers "light duty" for pregnancy do to a previous law suit over some male officer wanting same treatment and light duty over his condition. The Women, sisters, daughters of this Department have the option either work your post til few weeks prior to birth or take leave and eat up your own time or take pay cut which is bull crap. This law suit is necessary to fix whats broken with how the Department handles pregnancies.

BU 6 gave away lite duty post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2018, 6:43 PM

there are a lot of management post with zero inmate contact that prison could have accommodated her. good for her, i hope she wins. .
Old 04-29-2018, 6:49 PM

Another California government entity fail.
Old 04-29-2018, 7:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We had a pregnant officer at work, she was as solid as they come. Jail SWAT team, DT instructor and always had your back. When she got pregnant, sergeants at work would move her to towers to keep her out of the mix. We had a particularly pompance captain, this guy was a douche canoe. I’ve never seen someone so in love with himself. He would go to the tower this female was working, and pretty much harass her. He went to the floor sergeants and threatened to write them up if they moved her off the floor to a tower. One day this officer is assigned to a tower and he goes up there and starts his stuff again. She had enough of his crap and layed into him. Told him he was harassing her and that she was going to go across the street, file a complaint and sue him for everything he had. He left her alone after that. It’s always been my belief that you take care of your people, they take care of you....
Old 04-29-2018, 7:22 PM

I just got done training with some CDCR folks who do backgrounds and internal investigations... they couldn’t move her there for a bit? Wouldn’t the whole moving her anyway be a “reasonable accommodation” for someone with a temporary disability?
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 05-01-2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoLo626x View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad96cdc View Post
BU 6 gave away lite duty post

Ok....so I know a woman who is a CDCR officer and who was pregnant a couple of years ago. I asked her if she could clarify about the two different statements the two posters above made. She said very emphatically that the change of rules that happened about 3 years ago was because a male officer had broken a finger and was denied a light duty post. He complained and light duty options were taken away for everyone. My personal guess is that the department didn't want every Tom, Dick and Harry claiming "light duty" for BS injuries and threw out the baby with the bathwater (no pun intended). She went on to say that there are other non prisoner contact jobs, such as reviewing inmate appeals or filing/processing visitor applications that pregnant officers could be doing and still providing a full and needed benefit the department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
I just got done training with some CDCR folks who do backgrounds and internal investigations... they couldn’t move her there for a bit? Wouldn’t the whole moving her anyway be a “reasonable accommodation” for someone with a temporary disability?
Apparently, the background investigators are only located in three locations in the state, not at individual prisons, and you can't just [easily] transfer between prisons or locations. As for the reasonable accommodation thing, I believe the peace officer status is what throws a wrench into the works. (???)

Last edited by BadKitty; 05-01-2018 at 2:24 PM..
Old 05-01-2018, 7:41 PM

CDCR is facing several lawsuits related to the reasonable accommodation process, which is really weird for a state agency in a state which touts itself as having the broadest protections in the nation - exceeding even Federal ADA laws. With CDCR bending to the whim of every inmate accommodation request due to federal lawsuits while telling their own employees to pound sand, it certainly seems the massive litigation may be necessary in order to have their peace officers treated at least the same as convicted child rapists and murderers.
Old 05-02-2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Ok....so I know a woman who is a CDCR officer and who was pregnant a couple of years ago. I asked her if she could clarify about the two different statements the two posters above made. She said very emphatically that the change of rules that happened about 3 years ago was because a male officer had broken a finger and was denied a light duty post. He complained and light duty options were taken away for everyone. My personal guess is that the department didn't want every Tom, Dick and Harry claiming "light duty" for BS injuries and threw out the baby with the bathwater (no pun intended). She went on to say that there are other non prisoner contact jobs, such as reviewing inmate appeals or filing/processing visitor applications that pregnant officers could be doing and still providing a full and needed benefit the department.

Apparently, the background investigators are only located in three locations in the state, not at individual prisons, and you can't just [easily] transfer between prisons or locations. As for the reasonable accommodation thing, I believe the peace officer status is what throws a wrench into the works. (???)
I also believe that public safety type jobs have some supposedly different requirements when it comes to reasonable accommodations but I know at my job we still have to provide things like lactation breaks for our ladies who need them. I dunno; whole thing seems silly...
Old 05-02-2018, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs down

So women want equality in the workforce, but when she elects to get pregnant, she wants special treatment not afforded other Officers?

NO.
Old 05-02-2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
So women want equality in the workforce, but when she elects to get pregnant, she wants special treatment not afforded other Officers?

NO.
This is probably the only part of my economic/political outlook that could be considered left of the aisle... I disagree 100% when it comes to pregnancy/initial time period after childbirth. Why should we penalize women who want to work and have kids? We need kids to be born into good homes for our nation to thrive (not that the only “good” homes have working women in them). Of all the possible social spending; I would think pregnancy leave and post childbirth leave ( to a point and also for a much smaller period of time for fathers) would be a great benefit to our society
Old 05-06-2018, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I disagree 100% when it comes to pregnancy/initial time period after childbirth. Why should we penalize women who want to work and have kids? We need kids to be born into good homes for our nation to thrive (not that the only “good” homes have working women in them). Of all the possible social spending; I would think pregnancy leave and post childbirth leave ( to a point and also for a much smaller period of time for fathers) would be a great benefit to our society
False argument. Certain careers involve exceptional sacrifice. As a "junior" Officer (14 years) I get to work nights & weekends. I have two young boys (10 & 8) that I hardly get to see.

Are you saying she was penalized by being provided employment & benefits?

She knew the risks & requirements when she joined, and elected to get pregnant. She then requested exceptional treatment not afforded to other employees. It's cases like this that create a hostile work environment & destroy unit cohesion & morale.

You're trying to tell me that this moron, who knowingly placed herself & her child in jeopardy and eventually ended up killing that child somehow deserves compensation for her lack of planning/ intelligence?

Fwiw I'm working hard & saving my leave credits so that very soon I will be able to take several months off per year to spend with my wife & kids. It's required a lot of sacrifice & forethought. It's something I don't think the above individual wanted to invest.
Old 05-06-2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
False argument. Certain careers involve exceptional sacrifice. As a "junior" Officer (14 years) I get to work nights & weekends. I have two young boys (10 & 8) that I hardly get to see.

Are you saying she was penalized by being provided employment & benefits?

She knew the risks & requirements when she joined, and elected to get pregnant. She then requested exceptional treatment not afforded to other employees. It's cases like this that create a hostile work environment & destroy unit cohesion & morale.

You're trying to tell me that this moron, who knowingly placed herself & her child in jeopardy and eventually ended up killing that child somehow deserves compensation for her lack of planning/ intelligence?

Fwiw I'm working hard & saving my leave credits so that very soon I will be able to take several months off per year to spend with my wife & kids. It's required a lot of sacrifice & forethought. It's something I don't think the above individual wanted to invest.
It cuts both ways... You could have chosen another career path, another agency, possibly another assignment, etc. Heck, soon enough you could probably elect to be the first dude to carry a baby.

You guys are something else if you believe a pregnant female getting a light duty assignment during her pregnancy creates a "hostile work environment" that "destroy(s) unit cohesion and morale."

And it's not a false argument; I think in the bigger picture society as a whole benefits when pregnant mothers get some "special" benefits to ensure they don't have to choose between a career path and being safe/pregnant.

Last edited by CBR_rider; 05-06-2018 at 9:01 PM..
Old 05-07-2018, 5:47 AM

Next time you get sick because you “chose to put yourself, or chose to stay in a location” with other sick people, or chose to play a pick-up game after work and as a result blew your knee, or any other condition that prevents you from being full duty, quit your job and go work somewhere else. When you have a heart attack because you chose not to exercise, ate tons of crap, and are a big fat turd, same thing.

Speaking of choices, I choose to put my family first. Work is a means to financially support them, and it’s a bonus that I really enjoy my career. If you CHOOSE to not put your family first, and have two young boys you hardly get to see, that has far more long term negative consequences than light duty status ever will. You act like you’re he only one here who’s worked nights and weekends. Or deployed, at that.

If you want to be a victim that bad, go somewhere else. That stinks of insecurity. “Junior” doesn’t always correlate to time on the job, seems like it’s more attitude based here.

Some of the posts here are completely asinine. If they are truly from other “peace officers” I hope they’re not street cops or some other position that has contact with the public.

Last edited by GizmoSD; 05-07-2018 at 6:05 AM.. Reason: More ranting
Old 05-21-2018, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You guys are something else if you believe a pregnant female getting a light duty assignment during her pregnancy creates a "hostile work environment" that "destroy(s) unit cohesion and morale."

And it's not a false argument; I think in the bigger picture society as a whole benefits when pregnant mothers get some "special" benefits to ensure they don't have to choose between a career path and being safe/pregnant.
Never said that, and I'm certainly not against benefits for pregnant Officers.

What I'm against is this individual requesting benefits that were not afforded to her as part of her employment, then suing when she didn't get what she wanted & ended up killing her child.

Is it not HER responsibility to know what benefits she has access to PRIOR to getting pregnant?

To expect special treatment just because you exist is what kills morale. I've got 30 years combined military & LEO experience and have seen it happen many times. A single selfish individual can absolutely WRECK unit cohesion. Don't kid yourselves.
Old 05-21-2018, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
Next time you get sick because you “chose to put yourself, or chose to stay in a location” with other sick people, or chose to play a pick-up game after work and as a result blew your knee, or any other condition that prevents you from being full duty, quit your job and go work somewhere else. When you have a heart attack because you chose not to exercise, ate tons of crap, and are a big fat turd, same thing.
Not sure of your point.

Quote:
Speaking of choices, I choose to put my family first. Work is a means to financially support them, and it’s a bonus that I really enjoy my career. If you CHOOSE to not put your family first, and have two young boys you hardly get to see, that has far more long term negative consequences than light duty status ever will. You act like you’re he only one here who’s worked nights and weekends. Or deployed, at that.
I'm glad to hear you put your fam first. I do too. The fact that I'm a junior Officer in my area means I get to work nights & weekends. I knew this going in & have never asked for special favors. I am "paying my dues" so that when I have earned some seniority I can use it. The big tradeoff is I'm in an area with lots of extended family, including my parents. This benefits my wife & kids immensely & my parents love having their grandkids around.

Quote:
If you want to be a victim that bad, go somewhere else. That stinks of insecurity. “Junior” doesn’t always correlate to time on the job, seems like it’s more attitude based here.
Where the hell was victimhood invoked? On the contrary, I'm working my azz off to benefit my fambam & am damn proud of it. Its jokers like the chick in this story that ruin it for everybody by demanding stuff they are not due, then suing when they do something really stupid. She created that whole mess & the tragedy that followed. Savvy?

Quote:
Some of the posts here are completely asinine. If they are truly from other “peace officers” I hope they’re not street cops or some other position that has contact with the public.
Giz, you sound angry.

Last edited by BigStiCK; 05-21-2018 at 8:25 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 4:24 AM

Not angry at all, more confused how anyone can be so naive. But I think I solved it, you’re a corrections guy, and you’re upset anyone working in your line of work doesn’t fit your mold. I can’t think of any street agency that after 14 years someone would still consider themselves “junior.” You’re probably at Donovan.

You argue she’s “demanding things she’s not due.” According to transparentcalifornia.com, she’s been a CO a for at least two years, so she actually IS afforded protections under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Paid Family Leave Act (PFL).

If her request “destroys unit cohesion and moral” then her unit is comprised of mongoloids and cave men, plain and simple.