Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-24-2018, 8:22 PM

Default Glock 34

Trying to get information on what agencies authorize Glock 34 and if they require trigger swap.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:22 PM

G34 is a great gun.... for target shooting and competition. I love mine. However you’d be best to NEVER carry a gun that has a huge hole cut out of the top of the slide. It’s would be more susceptible to getting something caught in there and jamming the gun. Not good for a duty use weapon, nor even concealed EDC purposes.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-25-2018, 7:57 AM

I found a old post 2010 where Notorious stated he carried a G 34, and I have read LAPD authorizes them.
Old 03-25-2018, 8:16 AM

My dept allows for long-slide Glocks. We have to carry them unmodified.
Old 03-25-2018, 8:18 AM

I carried a Glock 35 (.40) after LAPD transitioned. Carried it for a few years, qualified and practiced off duty with it without any issues at all. That gun never has malfunctioned.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:05 AM

LASD authorizes it. Trigger must be standard 5.5lb connector, so if it comes with the "-" connector it must be switched out by department armorers prior to department use.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
LASD authorizes it. Trigger must be standard 5.5lb connector, so if it comes with the "-" connector it must be switched out by department armorers prior to department use.
Thanks for that.
Old 03-27-2018, 8:13 PM

I have carried a Gen 4 Glock 35 for the last couple of years. I also bought a Gen 4 Glock 34 and had it inspected by our Armory. I can carry the G34 on duty, but decided on sticking with the G35. I can shoot both with the same accuracy, so I decided I would rather have the heavier, bigger bullet if I ever had to deploy it. My Department (OCSD) was fine with either one in factory configuration.
Old 03-27-2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
LASD authorizes it.
That’s not saying much.

That being said, carrying a gun for on duty use with an open top cut-out like the 34 just doesn’t seem too wise. Carring a 17 to prevent an obstruction from falling down into that little “trap door” offers much better piece of mind for reliability issues on a Sam Brown.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-27-2018, 8:36 PM

Check out the Gen 5 G34; no cutout on top of the slide.
Old 03-27-2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Thatís not saying much.

That being said, carrying a gun for on duty use with an open top cut-out like the 34 just doesnít seem too wise. Carring a 17 to prevent an obstruction from falling down into that little ďtrap doorĒ offers much better piece of mind for reliability issues on a Sam Brown.
For years I carried a Beretta with a completely open slide and two big doors into the locking mechanism. No issues. I've carried a G34 as a duty gun and wouldn't hesitate to do so...

I'm sure there's some scenario where something could get into the mechanism and cause a problem, but hey... I carry a 1911 so I like living on the edge.
Old 03-28-2018, 8:35 AM

Quote:
I carry a 1911 so I like living on the edge.
Found your picture:

Old 03-28-2018, 9:41 AM

Quote:
For years I carried a Beretta with a completely open slide and two big doors into the locking mechanism. No issues. I've carried a G34 as a duty gun and wouldn't hesitate to do so...

I'm sure there's some scenario where something could get into the mechanism and cause a problem, but hey... I carry a 1911 so I like living on the edge.
^^ Yup... people seem to discount the 92f's history of operating in the sandbox.
Old 03-29-2018, 1:30 AM

Quote:

Love those 1911ís! I have seven of them. . I was waiting for the 92F to get brought up about the open barrel design. That design is nothing like the design of the G34. The G34 has a small opening up top ďcarvedĒ into the slide like a man-hole cover in the street. Itís also like the Glock 17L. Small debris that could get wedged into the 34ís slide from that cut-out wouldnít likely affect the completely open slide design of the 92F. The slide/barrel designs of the 92F and 34 are the proverbial ďapples to oranges.Ē Theyíre totally different.

But, if it works for you, thatís all that matters.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-29-2018, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcoBlaster View Post
Thanks for the 'heads up' on that. I have not seen a G34 Gen 5 yet.
Old 03-30-2018, 4:28 PM

My dept would allow them, granted it not modified in any way...so no to the trigger. My departments pretty lax about what's approved...given it's black, a 9mm, a .40, or a .45, is a sig, glock, or h&k, and is unmodified. They also allow certain revolvers in .38/.357, but I think that was left in policy for the old salty deputies.

That being said, I've yet to see anyone carrying a 34. Mostly 17s and and 22s being carried around (aside from our dept issued P226). A detective I know carries a 26 as his duty pistol.
Old 03-30-2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcoBlaster View Post
Ooh that’s good to know. I’m usually on top of Glock products but I have not come around to look at the Gen 5 34 yet. Hmmmmm. interesting.

Naaaaaaa. I already have a couple of 17’s, a 34 and. 17L. Not buying another 34. I never shoot the one I have already.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-30-2018, 4:46 PM

At least right now the Gen5 34 is an MOS variant, so it’s not authorized for our dept anyway... lest we be tempted.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Ooh thatís good to know. Iím usually on top of Glock products but I have not come around to look at the Gen 5 34 yet. Hmmmmm. interesting.

Naaaaaaa. I already have a couple of 17ís, a 34 and. 17L. Not buying another 34. I never shoot the one I have already.
I was surprised to see that. I thought the slide cut outs were to keep the cycling times (especially with light loads) about the same as the G17. I'm wondering if they had to have a specific recoil spring or?
Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
I found a old post 2010 where Notorious stated he carried a G 34, and I have read LAPD authorizes them.
Dea OC can carry them.
Old 03-31-2018, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampcrip View Post
Dea OC can carry them.
Why???? The 34 is even bigger than a 17. It’s one thing to carry daily in an open exposed duty holster. But to carry it concealed like DEA presumably does, opting for a smaller platform like a 19 would make better sense.

On a practical standpoint, accessing and retrieving a long slided gun (i.e. 34) takes a split second(s) longer to quickly bring on target and send rounds downrange. Especially retrieving the weapon from a seated position and when carrying it concealed. Anybody that says otherwise has never carried concealed long enough in their limited experience.

Just my opinion.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 03-31-2018 at 8:34 AM..
Old 03-31-2018, 12:31 PM

Default For Post#1

My experience with Blue Label Gen 4-34s (from Proforce) is that they come stock with a dot connector (Telltale fixed r/ sights?) so the trigger pull is essentially the same as a Gen 4-17. I'm pretty sure that they did the swap form the factory so that you don't have to change it out for duty.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Ran into two guys at training in my career who carried "tactical size" glocks. An officer from an agency near Tahoe carried a 35 and a Lake County cop carried a 34.
Old 04-02-2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Why???? The 34 is even bigger than a 17. Itís one thing to carry daily in an open exposed duty holster. But to carry it concealed like DEA presumably does, opting for a smaller platform like a 19 would make better sense.

On a practical standpoint, accessing and retrieving a long slided gun (i.e. 34) takes a split second(s) longer to quickly bring on target and send rounds downrange. Especially retrieving the weapon from a seated position and when carrying it concealed. Anybody that says otherwise has never carried concealed long enough in their limited experience.

Just my opinion.
The DEA carries the 34 concealed?! Really?! Iíve carried my duty 17 concealed once or twice and that was just because I was lazy and didnít feel like opening up my safe to grab anything else. I hated every second of it. Haha
Old 04-02-2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
I was surprised to see that. I thought the slide cut outs were to keep the cycling times (especially with light loads) about the same as the G17. I'm wondering if they had to have a specific recoil spring or?
It’s been a while since the 34/35 came out and made the news. Longer for the G17L/24. Short story as I remember, and if someone remembers differently, fine jump in.

The 34/35 were designed to meet size and weight requirements for the competition crowd. eg. Size: fits inside the IDPA box. Weight: the cutout allows them to make weight for USPSA/IPSC/IDPA).

And, “improved” marketing for the new 34/35 models targeted cops as well, mentioning improved velocity & accuracy.

(The 17L/24 had ended up being too long for some competition, and didn’t catch on with police as people had hoped. Sooooo, Gaston came out with the 34/35.)

The Blue Label Police versions do or did come with the +connector for a consistent 5 or 8ish pound trigger pull throughout the entire trigger pull.

I drove to L C Action in San Jose for my 3rd Gen G35 and carried it several years until mandated to change to Sig. When policy changed again, I went to a G31 and haven’t looked back.

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 04-15-2018 at 5:54 AM..
Old 04-03-2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
The DEA carries the 34 concealed?! Really?! Iíve carried my duty 17 concealed once or twice and that was just because I was lazy and didnít feel like opening up my safe to grab anything else. I hated every second of it. Haha
I carry a G19 unless I'm asleep in bed if I'm not carrying the dept issue G21. I never think that much about it. A G34 would be a bit much, but that's just me.
Old 04-05-2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
^^^Exactly.

About the DEA that was mentioned earlier.... How else would DEA agents carry in public? They donít wear a distinguished uniform like regular cops do. They donít wear Sam browns. Carrying it exposed in plain clothes would draw too much attention to themselves as well as the local police. Perhaps during a raid they carry it exposed, but when was the last time we ever saw the DEA doing that state-side here? I think once in 27 years in Los Angles I saw DEA actually participating in a raid somewhere. Of course they do it, just not very much.

So for them to carry a 34 as their daily carry, just seems ridiculously odd and impractical.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 04-05-2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
^^^Exactly.

.... So for them to carry a 34 as their daily carry, just seems ridiculously odd and impractical.
Ridiculously odd and impractical... sounds like a .gov standard to me!
Old 04-14-2018, 3:35 PM

We are issued glock 35 gen 4 we are only allowed to attach lights and lasers to the accessory rail.
Old 04-15-2018, 5:36 AM

FWIW, the G34/35 are basically the same size as 5” 1911’s, a bit thicker than the single stacks, which folks have CCW’d for over one hundred years. The double stack 1911’s are a bit newer, and guys carry those as well.

Back when cap and ball revolvers were hi tech, guys carried several about town and field - or into combat. 7 1/2” all steel single action cap and balls.

I hear today’s soldiers going into combat can carry packs weighing up to 120/160 pounds.

I’m old and out of shape, and can lose 5+ pounds from my gut, but two pounds of loaded G34/35 isn’t impossible (given consideration for legal, policy, financial, health/medical, or personal considerations)..

Shorter barrels clear the holster faster, and may give quicker sight alignment too, absolutely.

FWIW, YMMV, and all that.

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 04-15-2018 at 6:05 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 7:46 PM

I carry the G41 MOS. If that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2018, 7:54 PM

Just my couple of pennies, but if you need a glock 34 for duty use, you might be in the wrong line of work. If you need that much more accuracy, you should be holding a rifle and not a pistol. Long slide pistols are great for square range target shooting. That's where they should stay.
Old 06-06-2018, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

CDCR issues Glock 35s to their Crises Response Teams(swat).
Old 06-08-2018, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonBear723 View Post
Just my couple of pennies, but if you need a glock 34 for duty use, you might be in the wrong line of work. If you need that much more accuracy, you should be holding a rifle and not a pistol. Long slide pistols are great for square range target shooting. That's where they should stay.
+1

Using a long slide like the 17L makes me a fine coyote/bobcat handgun-hunter.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 06-09-2018, 12:39 AM

If the slight improvement in accuracy is worth it for the square range or shooting a bobcat/coyote, why would it not be for duty use? How many OIS's involve rifles vs handguns? How often do you find yourself in a scenario where you're away from your rifle and getting back to it is impracticle? This could be argued all day, but when it comes down to it, I'll take any advantage however slight. If I could carry a 34 I would. It's no different than a government size 1911.
Old 06-09-2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelar View Post
If the slight improvement in accuracy is worth it for the square range or shooting a bobcat/coyote, why would it not be for duty use? How many OIS's involve rifles vs handguns? How often do you find yourself in a scenario where you're away from your rifle and getting back to it is impracticle? This could be argued all day, but when it comes down to it, I'll take any advantage however slight. If I could carry a 34 I would. It's no different than a government size 1911.
I see your point, and its a good one. I just don't think you get that much more out of it. And to your point on stats, most gun fights take place at a close distance. If you have accuracy problems with an already full size gun, one should train more.
Old 06-09-2018, 8:16 PM

Part of the reason I also decided to carry a G35/G34 is that I carry my duty weapon with a mounted Surefire or Streamlight light. The length of the light when mounted is the same length as the barrel/slide of a G35/G34. So, you are already having to pull your gun out enough to clear the extra length of the mounted light. May as well have the extra barrel length and site radius. Also, the longer barrel doesn't cause the light lens to get dark from soot when shooting, which does happen on a G22/G17. With practice, you can get proficient enough to draw a G35 pretty much as fast as a G22.