Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-16-2017, 6:23 AM

Default Marlin 795 mag sticking

I have a new 795, and the mags do not drop out when I press the release. I have to press the release, and pull the mag out with my other hand. Not the easiest procedure. Any ideas as to where they might be hanging up?
Thanks

(And yes, I looked through the 795 mega thread)
Old 02-16-2017, 2:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Kind of a common problem. I've had luck sanding down the edges slightly. Seems like some magazines stick more than others. I had one that stuck for a while until I used it a number of times.
Good luck.
Old 02-16-2017, 5:19 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I was thinking I'd sand them a bit, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other trick before I sanded them.

The 795 is a fun little rifle, and quite accurate out of the box. I was shooting about 1" groups from 25 meters "Appleseed style" (no rest, or bipod).
Old 02-16-2017, 7:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 795 does shoot well and is very reliable. Great rifle especially for the price. Owned mine for a couple of years and really like it a lot. I replaced the stock trigger guard and trigger with the DIP setup. It is a nice upgrade.

Good shooting and enjoy yours.
Old 02-17-2017, 6:14 AM

I'm going to look into the trigger upgrade. Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM

I have 8 magazines for 2 795's, all of them have to be pulled out with mag release depressed, never seen a 795 mag just fall out while release depressed. ....I don't think it's supposed to

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adchrome View Post
I have 8 magazines for 2 795's, all of them have to be pulled out with mag release depressed, never seen a 795 mag just fall out while release depressed. ....I don't think it's supposed to

That's too bad. I have an XT-22 bolt action that uses the same mags as the 795, and 3 out of 4 of the mags drop without any pull. I'm going to mess with them a bit, and see if they get any better. If it works, I'll update the post.
Old 02-17-2017, 4:42 PM

I got it to work... I didn't take any pics of the process though.

I made some horizontal lines with a sharpie on the magazine where it sits in the mag well, and then inserted and removed it several times. This allowed me to see where it was sticking, so I could sand those areas. I did this several times, sanding with 320 grit paper. It helped, but not a ton. I took apart the receiver (as the manual describes for cleaning), and noticed the mag well has some burs and unfinished edges. I filed those with a very fine file (about as fine as a nail file). Just a little at a time so the mag wouldn't become sloppy while seated. I repeated the sharpie lines, more sanding and filing, and the mags finally dropped with just a press of the release. Just go slowly, and test often.
Old 02-17-2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldRiver76 View Post
I got it to work... I didn't take any pics of the process though.

I made some horizontal lines with a sharpie on the magazine where it sits in the mag well, and then inserted and removed it several times. This allowed me to see where it was sticking, so I could sand those areas. I did this several times, sanding with 320 grit paper. It helped, but not a ton. I took apart the receiver (as the manual describes for cleaning), and noticed the mag well has some burs and unfinished edges. I filed those with a very fine file (about as fine as a nail file). Just a little at a time so the mag wouldn't become sloppy while seated. I repeated the sharpie lines, more sanding and filing, and the mags finally dropped with just a press of the release. Just go slowly, and test often.
Have you fired the gun since. ...hopefully it will still feed ok