Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3b View Post
Looks like DISCREET notification is not a priority.

That's just great! Advertising to the whole world.
"Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
- John Lott -
Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 AM

Has anyone gotten mailed letters for only some in a single batch submission? I got emails for some and am wondering if the entire batch will be held up because of the couple remaining ones.
Old 07-21-2018, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno999 View Post
Has anyone gotten mailed letters for only some in a single batch submission? I got emails for some and am wondering if the entire batch will be held up because of the couple remaining ones.
I have. Submitted 20+ in mid May, got a letter with only 6 in addition to the other previously approved one. Submission Confirmation emails were received for these 6, but the others that also had Submission Confirmations were not on the letter.

Moral: Submission Confirmation email =/= Approval Letter in the mail

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-21-2018, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Sit tight like everyone else. The super fast turn arounds might just be exceptions and not the rule. It's too early to be concerned.
There is some kind of cherry-picking going on. I have not been able to identify the logic being used for which applications to process first.

The only constant I have seen mentioned involves some kind of exception (blurred/missing pic(s), caliber mis-match between what is entered on the application vs. what is shown on the receiver pic, etc.).

The applications that don't seem to have any exceptions appear to be relegated to the bottom of the stack.
Old 07-21-2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno999 View Post
Good question, I have not read of such. The claims I have read is letters are by batch/application/$15 fee-when all the registrations are cleared for that application the letters go out. Maybe multiple letters in one envelope, maybe letters broken up in multiple envelopes as far as I can tell from the posts.

Anyone receiver letters from applications where some of the BBAW's have not been accepted? I and inferno would like you to post if such has happened to you.

On another note, I think the phones are going to light up at CFARS between Oct 1 and Nov 1 as that will be the 120 mark that CFARS has asked us to wait before contacting them about our applications. October will be an interesting month for this thread.
Old 07-21-2018, 7:58 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post

On another note, I think the phones are going to light up at CFARS between Sept 1 and Oct 1 as that will be the 120 mark that CFARS has asked us to wait before contacting them about our applications. September will be an interesting month for this thread.
They say that but then after 120 days they don't respond at all, in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 07-21-2018, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Good question, I have not read of such. The claims I have read is letters are by batch/application/$15 fee-when all the registrations are cleared for that application the letters go out. Maybe multiple letters in one envelope, maybe letters broken up in multiple envelopes as far as I can tell from the posts.

Anyone receiver letters from applications where some of the BBAW's have not been accepted? I and inferno would like you to post if such has happened to you.
Yes. See my reply post #3803 above.

They seem to pick and choose the ones approved. Only simple ARs and AKs, none of this re-welded receiver, pistols, bullpups, etc

Old 07-21-2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post

They seem to pick and choose the ones approved. Only simple ARs and AKs, none of this re-welded receiver, pistols, bullpups, etc
There is some other decision criteria. Otherwise, my application for a single CA-compliant model number AR would have been approved long ago. 2 months and change and it has been crickets from DoJ.
Old 07-21-2018, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Quote:

There is some other decision criteria. Otherwise, my application for a single CA-compliant model number AR would have been approved long ago. 2 months and change and it has been crickets from DoJ.
My reply wasn't meant to explain how DOJ reviews work for everyone, just what they decided to approve on my application. I had a bunch of other guns in the same application and they only approved the simple ones.

So far.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:13 PM

I think I have a record approval with paperwork. I had one approved on 7/14 and received paperwork on today 7/21.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This is my theory. It seems they prioritize applications with errors or the system bumps up applications that get kicked back. Then the DOJ gets back at the applicant, the applicant corrects the issues, and the application gets moved up. I say this because on one of my applications I made a mistake, I then "reported an issue" and edited it, and then the next day I received a confirmation. My second application took one month later for a confirmation e-mail and I got no kickbacks and I did not report an issue. So it seems to me that applications that are error free are pushed aside.
Old 07-22-2018, 2:13 AM

Eh. Iíve had plenty of applications that were error free get processed pretty fast. Just as fast as my erroneous ones. Itís more complicated than just having a kickback.
Old 07-22-2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455H013 View Post
I think I have a record approval with paperwork. I had one approved on 7/14 and received paperwork on today 7/21.
Submitted mine on 7/15 for one rifle and no email or letter yet. How long should I wait till I send a question about my application to DOJ?
Old 07-22-2018, 4:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have. Submitted 20+ in mid May, got a letter with only 6 in addition to the other previously approved one. Submission Confirmation emails were received for these 6, but the others that also had Submission Confirmations were not on the letter.

Moral: Submission Confirmation email =/= Approval Letter in the mail
Same here. Only the rifles are done, home made stuff, nada.
Old 07-22-2018, 7:30 AM

My timeline is as follows. Initial submission for 4 rifles in mid May. I called to ask for an update July 11 and was told they are in progress. Got an email on July 13 asking for one better picture on one rifle and asking me to change the manufacturer from Century Arms to something else. Resubmitted info on July 16. Registration letter received on July 20 at my home, all 4 rifles are good to go. It seems to me that if you call them for an update you will get expedited.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 AM

For those whose registrations were approved and received their letters, what does the "Status" in CFARS say for the firearms that were approved?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:36 AM

It doesn’t change. It will be ‘In Progress’ forever.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Eh. Iíve had plenty of applications that were error free get processed pretty fast. Just as fast as my erroneous ones. Itís more complicated than just having a kickback.
When were your error-free applications submitted? Earlier in the cycle (e.g. prior to May, 2018) may not inform current processing decisions.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duralexsedlex View Post
My timeline is as follows. Initial submission for 4 rifles in mid May. I called to ask for an update July 11 and was told they are in progress. Got an email on July 13 asking for one better picture on one rifle and asking me to change the manufacturer from Century Arms to something else. Resubmitted info on July 16. Registration letter received on July 20 at my home, all 4 rifles are good to go. It seems to me that if you call them for an update you will get expedited.
Which number did you call - the one on the CFARS website? Or?
Old 07-22-2018, 1:30 PM

Default AW Registration Guide **Registration CLOSED, ask in here about any pending apps**

Last edited by inferno999; 07-22-2018 at 2:15 PM..
Old 07-22-2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
When were your error-free applications submitted? Earlier in the cycle (e.g. prior to May, 2018) may not inform current processing decisions.
These error free ones were late may. I submitted the same day as adding to cart.
Old 07-22-2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
These error free ones were late may. I submitted the same day as adding to cart.
Your response makes me think the process for deciding which applications to process at DoJ is even more irrational than I previously thought.
Old 07-22-2018, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455H013 View Post
My best was 8 days from initial submission to approval letter in hand.

My worst, 86 days and counting.

Old 07-22-2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
That's just great! Advertising to the whole world.
My envelope was almost open.Luckily mailman did not put it in neighbors mailbox like he usually does. But anyhow neighbors see my NRA range bag when I hit the range, so no biggie.
Old 07-22-2018, 3:58 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Out of the blue, I got a registration confirmation email for one of my 80% pistols the other day. There were others on that app, but they only processed that single one at 4:58pm, I'm guessing the guy went home for the day without processing the rest.

That pistol was submitted way back in April.

Each of my submissions still have at least one firearm to approve, so still no letters in hand. But at least we know they are still actively processing them.

If DOJ visits you regarding your RAW application: Avoid opening your door if they don't have a warrant. Don't consent to a search. Don't "talk your way out of it". Assert your right to remain silent until you have a lawyer present.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 07-22-2018 at 4:01 PM..
Old 07-22-2018, 4:01 PM

^^^^ Congratulations are in order. It is still crickets for me, though.
Old 07-22-2018, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Out of the blue, I got a registration confirmation email for one of my 80% pistols the other day. There were others on that app, but they only processed that single one at 4:58pm, I'm guessing the guy went home for the day without processing the rest.

Each of my submissions still have at least one firearm to approve, so still no letters in hand. But at least we know they are still actively processing them.
That may be a sign of good things to come. A week before my wife's and daughter's approval letters arrived, a Submission Confirmation e-mail arrived for me, as if it broke a log jam for their approval letters. Mine arrived two weeks later, a week after theirs.

Old 07-22-2018, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post

Awesome, congrats. My pistol was sent in April too.
Old 07-22-2018, 6:17 PM

INFO REQUEST

I guess it is now time to ask, did anyone successfully register a polymer receiver?

I chickened out and demobilized mine, and will keep the parts as spares, because it was not 100% clear whether it was possible or not. The Post June 30th was very clear that there likely will be no more polymer home made receivers in California without breaking a couple laws or 80 more. It is a shame too since it helped allot in breaking that 4.5 pound AR barrier.

I would rather hear it is not possible than someone that was successful meaning I could have done the same and was too much of a coward. It was al the other ones I could register without issues that caused me fear of loosing the whole kitten caboodle.

THANKS
Old 07-22-2018, 7:04 PM

I didn’t even try to do a poly 80% but I did reg a few factory made CAV-15s. Since the maker ‘GWACS’ isn’t in the list these are all in limbo until the list is updated. Probably the best polymer lower out there right now.
Old 07-22-2018, 7:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I asked this question shortly before 7/1/18 and rec'd no replies at all. With all of that "encouragment" I went ahead and submitted registration apps for mine after adding a stainless steel serial number plate. Receivers were sent out of state in a locked box until things are resolved. They are still "In Progress" with the other stuff I registered. We shall see what happens...

Used a dovetail router bit in the drill press to cut a slot in the receiver and then epoxied the plate in.

Quote:
INFO REQUEST

I guess it is now time to ask, did anyone successfully register a polymer receiver?

I chickened out and demobilized mine, and will keep the parts as spares, because it was not 100% clear whether it was possible or not. The Post June 30th was very clear that there likely will be no more polymer home made receivers in California without breaking a couple laws or 80 more. It is a shame too since it helped allot in breaking that 4.5 pound AR barrier.

I would rather hear it is not possible than someone that was successful meaning I could have done the same and was too much of a coward. It was al the other ones I could register without issues that caused me fear of loosing the whole kitten caboodle.

THANKS
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 07-22-2018, 7:32 PM

FYI no new maker entries were added last week.
Old 07-22-2018, 7:51 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
FYI no new maker entries were added last week.
Thanks for keeping tabs on that for us! That's unfortunate news, though.

If DOJ visits you regarding your RAW application: Avoid opening your door if they don't have a warrant. Don't consent to a search. Don't "talk your way out of it". Assert your right to remain silent until you have a lawyer present.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses