Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-08-2018, 7:57 AM

Default I bought an ACOG TA11H-G for .223 but my reticle says itís for an M240 which is .308.

I checked the serial numbers on my scope case (which clearly says 223) and it matches the serial number on the scope. But when you look at the code on the actual reticle it says M240.

It would make sense to me if the reticle said M249 since that uses a 5.56. But why in the world would it say M240 which is a .308?

Somebody smarter than me please help.

Scope was purchased brand new from optics planet.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2018, 8:06 AM

It sounds to me like your scope was made on a Monday or a Friday.

Contact ACOG. They have excellent customer service.

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 07-08-2018, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
It sounds to me like your scope was made on a Monday or a Friday.

Contact ACOG. They have excellent customer service.
Haha thanks for the input. Thatís what Iím wondering. Definitely going to call them tomorrow, just wanted to know if I was missing anything.
Old 07-10-2018, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
Haha thanks for the input. Thatís what Iím wondering. Definitely going to call them tomorrow, just wanted to know if I was missing anything.
Any updates?

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 07-10-2018, 9:44 PM

Mine is the .223 horseshoe dot ta11 and it says m249..weird that yours wouldn't
Old 07-11-2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
Any updates?
So, I called Trijicon and they gave me a return authorization and a paid UPS label so they can check it out. I sent it out today.

Will update later when I hear back.
Old 08-04-2018, 4:30 AM

Update:
Got the scope back from Trijicon. Took a week to get there, they had it for a week, then a week to ship back.

Markings inside say M249 now
Old 08-04-2018, 6:26 AM

Glad they got it fixed.

My question is, don't take it offensively, are you mounting it to a M249? Are you using the same ammo the reticle was designed around?

If no to all the above, the m240 and m249 reticles have to be confirmed by your specific rifle and ammo. Meaning , unless you are using exactly what the scope was designed for the hash marks will be off a bit.

You will want to go to a range and get actual data for the reticle. I have had to true all mine ACOGs by actually shooting them. That's the only down side to buying scopes with reticles designed for specific bullets and ammo. Unless you are using the same stuff it's not perfectly aligned, or trued.

It would be good to do a tall target test and use a ballistics calculator, don't forget the chrono to truly true the reticle so its accurate.

I hope that all made sense.

But yes , their customer service is awesome.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 08-04-2018, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
Glad they got it fixed.

My question is, don't take it offensively, are you mounting it to a M249? Are you using the same ammo the reticle was designed around?

If no to all the above, the m240 and m249 reticles have to be confirmed by your specific rifle and ammo. Meaning , unless you are using exactly what the scope was designed for the hash marks will be off a bit.

You will want to go to a range and get actual data for the reticle. I have had to true all mine ACOGs by actually shooting them. That's the only down side to buying scopes with reticles designed for specific bullets and ammo. Unless you are using the same stuff it's not perfectly aligned, or trued.

It would be good to do a tall target test and use a ballistics calculator, don't forget the chrono to truly true the reticle so its accurate.

I hope that all made sense.

But yes , their customer service is awesome.

Waveslayer,

Thanks for your input. I am familiar with the issues you mentioned and I totally agree. I will have to test it to find my true hold points...but now I’ll be starting with a reticle that is at least in the right ballpark.

It is my understanding that weight (and length) of the pill, length of the barrel, load, and even twist rate can affect bullet drop.

For what it’s worth, I’ll be running this on an AR15 with a 16” heavy profile, 1:8 twist, and a Miculek brake. I plan to experiment with XM193, as well as .223 in 55gr, and some of the heavier pills like 69gr and 77gr.

Later I may swap in an 18” barrel and see what that does. I like trying different things to see what works for me and what doesn’t.

Edit: I think for me, half the fun of owning firearms is tinkering with them.

Last edited by Galileo; 08-04-2018 at 7:17 AM..
Old 08-04-2018, 8:28 AM

I'm running a 1/8 with great results using 77 SMK with CFE powder and the 75 gr HPBT with XBR.

Tinkering is fun, a lot of time but fun. The twist just stabilizes the bullets, it would be interesting to get a gain twist barrel for a .223 and see how well it performs.

Good luck

Old 08-04-2018, 2:52 PM

Thanks for the pointers slayer, much appreciated!