Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-05-2018, 7:51 PM

Default Scope advice/recommendation needed for my S&W 15-22

Hello

Iím looking to get a budget rifle scope for my S&W 15-22 rifle. I like to stay under $150 for the price. My primary purpose is for plinking. Iíve been reading a bunch of comparisons online for budget scopes and was kind of leaning towards the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40mm. The only thing I donít like about this is how long it is. Are there any other Rimfire rifle scopes that I should consider? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2018, 7:03 AM

I don't think you are going to find much shorter than that in a similar price and magnification range. Nikon does make good budget scopes for rimfires. I owned the Athlon Neos and was suprised by the clarity of the glass for the price. Primary arms has a designated .22lr scope and Burris has the MSR which I believe is discontinued but still available. The latter two are going to be a bit more that $150.

If you want something more compact, a good plinker optic for AR pattern rifles is the Nikon P-223 fixed 3x

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/58...-reticle-matte

It has a couple of BDC subtensions for .223 which you could simply reassign to whatever 22lr ammo you use. Its about 4" shorter than the 3-9x and the eye relief is set up for AR pattern rifles. Price is right at your budget as well.
Old 07-06-2018, 7:24 AM

I'm very happy with the utg 3-9 bug buster on the 10-22. Short, light, decent glass for the money. Wouldn't put it on a serious rifle, but it works for our plinker/critter protector.

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/

Last edited by kenl; 07-06-2018 at 7:29 AM..
Old 07-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
I'm very happy with the utg 3-9 bug buster on the 10-22. Short, light, decent glass for the money. Wouldn't put it on a serious rifle, but it works for our plinker/critter protector.
I have a UTG 3-9 Bug Buster on a FN2000/marlin 60 and I put a Nikon 3-9x40 Rimfire on my wifes Marlin 795. For the extra $20 the Nikon is head and shoulders better than the UTG.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 PM

thanks for the recommendations. I ended up getting the Primary Arms 6x ACSS 22LR scope due to it's smaller size and the innovative ACSS reticle system.
Old 07-07-2018, 5:12 AM

Looks like a nice scope OP. Enjoy it, and thanks for pointing it out

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/