Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 AM

Default Is this Vortex a good deal

Need a scope for my Remington 700 PCR. Just saw this deal on Midway for a Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated EBR-1 MRAD Reticle Matte -- $699.00. It looks like this is a closeout of discontinued model-- it is not the Gen II. I have a very similar Vortex model on another rifle now and am pretty happy with it. Seems like a good deal especially for a FFP scope.
So, is this a good deal for the $699 price? Is there any reason I would regret not getting a similar model in the newer Gen II version?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Can't speak for the first Gen models, but the Gen 2 is a great optic. Can't imagine a huge difference between the two Gens.

EDIT: After doing some reading the big thing is the glass on the Gen 2 is of better quality and gives you a better picture. But again for that price wouldn't pass it up. Lifetime warranty if it breaks you'll get a Gen 2 haha.

Last edited by RHSth4; 07-10-2018 at 12:47 AM..
Old 07-10-2018, 2:17 AM

I have the same scope, I paid full $949 price just last month for it but had $400 in gift cards from the vendor that didn't carry the gen2, otherwise I would have gone with the 2nd gen at regular price. But at your $699 price that's a really good price for the FFP version. If you're by Los Angeles you're welcome to try out my scope first before you pull the trigger.
Old 07-10-2018, 5:42 AM

I've shot behind both and feel the Gen 2 is a much better scope overall, even though they cost a little more. The glass is better, the turrets are better, the zero-stop is better (no shims) and the illumination is on the parallax knob (personal preference).
Old 07-10-2018, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Marine View Post
I've shot behind both and feel the Gen 2 is a much better scope overall, even though they cost a little more. The glass is better, the turrets are better, the zero-stop is better (no shims) and the illumination is on the parallax knob (personal preference).
I think there's no doubt in anyone's mind the gen II is better, I think what OP is saying is it worth the $300 price difference goimg from gen I to gen II.
Some it may well be worth it and others not. I just started learning long range shooting at the beginning of the year and for me personally the gen 1 looked great (luckily I haven't seen a Gen2 or something better like a Razor, heard once seen can't be unseen lol). I only shoot at Angeles which is up to 600yards so for me the Gen1 $400 price savings went to ammo. If/when my skill gets better and I start shooting out 1000+ I'll upgrade my scope and put the Gen1 on my son's rifle.
Old 07-10-2018, 6:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Definitely a solid deal for a great scope, I would go for it.

Even when those first came out, they were offering FFP at a price point others hadn't hit yet.

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 07-10-2018, 7:29 AM

I bought that same scope for 699 from Midway out the door tax and shipped. while I don't own a Gen 2 I've shot one and it is nicer but I love the Gen 1. one of the main reasons is the weight, the gen 2 is almost 3 lb. The Gen one is only about a pound and a half. I got a Smokin deal and I've never seen it as low as that again until this post. I think it's worth every penny. so to answer your question yes I would buy this again in a heartbeat, especially for another bench gun.

WTB
Browning BLR**
Browning BAR**

Last edited by etwinam; 07-10-2018 at 7:32 AM..
Old 07-10-2018, 8:01 PM

Thanks, guys for confirming its a good deal. BTW, they are not sold out yet:
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/551487/

Next I have to figure out what height rings to use on it. Given that the Rem 700 PCR is so new, there do not seem to be many owners out there. I may have to wait until I can get it out of jail. If anyone has a recommendation on rings please let me know. I think I used Burris Signature Z rings on my other Remington 700 and I was not crazy about the bushings they use.
Old 07-10-2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHSth4 View Post
Can't speak for the first Gen models, but the Gen 2 is a great optic. Can't imagine a huge difference between the two Gens.

EDIT: After doing some reading the big thing is the glass on the Gen 2 is of better quality and gives you a better picture. But again for that price wouldn't pass it up. Lifetime warranty if it breaks you'll get a Gen 2 haha.
Honestly there really IS a big difference between the gems. That said, the gen 1 is still awesome and used to cost a lot more.
Old 07-10-2018, 9:48 PM

When it comes to picture yes, Gen 2 will give you a better picture with the newer glass. But for that price it's worth picking up a Gen 1, instead of breaking the bank for the Gen 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrump View Post
Honestly there really IS a big difference between the gems. That said, the gen 1 is still awesome and used to cost a lot more.
Old 07-11-2018, 8:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

It's decent for that price, but the PST Gen II are a much better scope overall. Improved glass, zero stop, improved internals which should be more reliable in the long run. With Vortex's warranty, why not try it?
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 08-03-2018, 4:33 PM

It is an okay price tbd, I usually recommend waiting for a holiday or a coupon when purchasing optics. There always seems to be a mom an pop shop somewhere trying to move inventory.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Euro Optics has the Gen 1 EBR 2 Horus reticle for 649 shipped.
https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vip...43128-new.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMiK View Post
Euro Optics has the Gen 1 EBR 2 Horus reticle for 649 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very good price.
Old 08-06-2018, 7:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have this scope and the Gen 2 and I would buy the Gen 2 if I was buying another one.

Last edited by Paul_R; 08-06-2018 at 7:08 AM..
Old 08-06-2018, 7:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Euro is cool and all, but I'd also recommend contacting the vendors that support Calguns as well. You can always call in for Calguns pricing
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 08-19-2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
...Gen 2 I've shot one and it is nicer but I love the Gen 1. one of the main reasons is the weight, the gen 2 is almost 3 lb. The Gen one is only about a pound and a half.
Incorrect. The Gen2 Viper 5-25x50 is 31.5 oz not almost 3 lbs. The Gen 1 we're talking about is 23 oz. I do agree weight is a major factor in a stalk and spot hunting rifle.
I sold at no loss a Tango 6 6-30x56 that was an awesome scope but weighed 39 oz because it was a hunting rifle it was going to go on. At 31.5 the Viper Gen2 is the heaviest but best scope I own.
Old 08-19-2018, 6:18 PM

P.S.- I picked up my Gen2 Viper 5-25x50 with illum reticle for $900 out the door at a gun show. Mom and pop outfit that does only optics.

EBR-2C reticle in MOA is awesome. I have done holdovers and hold for windage at 600 yards and determined the size of things at known distances and it's perfect as far as I've been able to tell. I even busted a range for 203 instead of 200 yards because the dots didn't match the 1" target grid 6" off center at 200 yards. Once you go FFP, you never go back.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/...2c_moa_web.jpg