Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-14-2018, 8:55 AM

Default Ohuhu Reflex Sight - $16.99?

I was looking for an inexpensive rail mounted sight for the Ruger PC Carbine that I just bought and ran across this cheap Ohuhu Reflex Sight in a "best reflex scope for the $" article:

Ohuhu Reflex Sight

Mixed reviews on Amazon. Out of 1500 reviews, 75% positive (4 or 5 stars) and 25% neutral or negative (1-3 stars). Also watched a couple of YouTube videos about it. I've got 4 red dots on other guns (3 TRS-25s and a TRS-32) that I like very much but didn't want to buy yet another. Thought a reflex would look good on the carbine. So, for just $18.39 including tax I decided to take a flyer on it.

Did a quick word search of the forum and didn't see any prior discussion here about it. Just curious to hear comments from anyone here who has actually bought and/or used one.
Old 06-14-2018, 9:00 AM

The problem with cheap red dots and reflexes is how they handle recoil. I personally have no experience with this one but after spending a bunch of money on junk in the past I broke down and bought an EOTech and an MRO, I've never had an issue since. Not saying you need to spend a bunch of money but you get what you pay for. I think type 1 rmr are coming down on price right now and there's always used ones in the marketplace. Hope that helps.

WTB
P10F**
Browning BLR**
Old 06-14-2018, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think the specific brand name matters on cheapys like these because when you go to that Amazon link, you'll see identical products from "Feyachi", "Amason", "CVLife", and "Gero". They're all made in the same factory with the only difference being the last guy in the assembly line affixes a different brand label on it.

That being said, I had one on a .22 & it worked fine for that use. It was a pain to zero because the adjustments aren't consistent but once set up it worked fine. Just expect to expend a lot of ammo chasing a wandering zero. Avoid changing the reticle because then you'll have to set up your zero again.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
The problem with cheap red dots and reflexes is how they handle recoil. I personally have no experience with this one but after spending a bunch of money on junk in the past I broke down and bought an EOTech and an MRO, I've never had an issue since. Not saying you need to spend a bunch of money but you get what you pay for. I think type 1 rmr are coming down on price right now and there's always used ones in the marketplace. Hope that helps.
Going to be using the Ohuhu on a Ruger 9mm carbine which will mainly be a trunk gun and get light use at the range. Will mainly mainly use bulk FMJ 115g loads (not the hotter JHP 147g +P or HST loads). So, I don't think that recoil and durability will be that great an issue.

I have no illusions about the performance capability of this cheap sight. If it breaks, I will not be surprised and, if I can't get a refund, I will just toss it out but, if it works, I will be pleasantly surprised and save a few dollars on a "better" sight that I won't need.

However, in the event it doesn't work, I have my eyes on one of these instead: Sightmark SM26005 Ultra Shot M-Spec Reflex Sight. Still not "high end" by any means but a reasonably priced reflex that costs about 1/3 the amount of the gun which is about the limit I'm willing to pay for a scope/sights on any gun.

Last edited by sgt1372; 06-15-2018 at 10:41 AM..
Old 06-14-2018, 1:47 PM

I picked up the same reflex sight with the Feyachi label on it. I mounted it on a Marlin 30-30 but haven’t fired it yet to dial it in. I like the red and green laser, intensity variations and sharpness of it.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 06-16-2018, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Going to be using the Ohuhu on a Ruger 9mm carbine which will mainly be a trunk gun and get light use at the range. Will mainly mainly use bulk FMJ 115g loads (not the hotter JHP 147g +P or HST loads). So, I don't think that recoil and durability will be that great an issue.

I have no illusions about the performance capability of this cheap sight. If it breaks, I will not be surprised and, if I can't get a refund, I will just toss it out but, if it works, I will be pleasantly surprised and save a few dollars on a "better" sight that I won't need.

However, in the event it doesn't work, I have my eyes on one of these instead: Sightmark SM26005 Ultra Shot M-Spec Reflex Sight. Still not "high end" by any means but a reasonably priced reflex that costs about 1/3 the amount of the gun which is about the limit I'm willing to pay for a scope/sights on any gun.

Don't buy the sightmark ultrashot. They are way overpriced and their battery life is terrible. A sightmark sureshot at about $50 Is as low as I would go. The real problem with the cheap stuff is parallax. If you don't get the exact cheekweld each time your point of impact moves around. That's probably define for red dots at 50 yards but gets real iffy at 100 or 200.
Old 06-16-2018, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

OP. Get it and put it through it’s paces. Please let us know how it does.
Old 06-16-2018, 7:13 PM

Same brand for my garden hoses and ned sheet s. Clearly just a brand that deosnt actually make anything! I'm dying to know how it does for you. BTW my garden hoses are great.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Don't buy the sightmark ultrashot. They are way overpriced and their battery life is terrible. A sightmark sureshot at about $50 Is as low as I would go. The real problem with the cheap stuff is parallax. If you don't get the exact cheekweld each time your point of impact moves around. That's probably define for red dots at 50 yards but gets real iffy at 100 or 200.
You're probably right. May just throw one of my TRS-25's on the PC Carbine instead if the Ohuhu doesn't work out.
Old 06-17-2018, 7:02 AM

Quote:
You're probably right. May just throw one of my TRS-25's on the PC Carbine instead if the Ohuhu doesn't work out.
IMHO don't waste the $ on the Ohuhu, just put the TRS-25 on it and don't look back

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/
Old 06-17-2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
IMHO don't waste the $ on the Ohuhu, just put the TRS-25 on it and don't look back
+1
I had TRS-25 on my PCC, and it fit the 10/22 bag.
Old 06-17-2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
Already paid for the Ohuhu and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow via Amazon Prime.

Have 3 TRS-25's already; all on shotguns -- a Mossberg 930, Keltec KSG and Saiga 12. It's a solid red dot and can buy another for just $50 more. Worse comes to worse, I can always slap one of the TRS-25's on the PC Carbine. No big deal but I just wanted something different for the carbine. We'll see . . .
Old 06-18-2018, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

They'll likely eat batteries too. Whenever you need it and turn it on, no dot.

It's the same unit is sold under a bunch of different names. It's junk - a waste of time and money. I wouldn't even put it on an airsoft gun.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-19-2018, 1:42 PM

Just got the Ohuhu sight.

Initial impression is that I like it. Small size, comes w/a rubber lens cap, easy install w/2 hex bolts and included allen key on picatinny rail, uses standard 2032 battery, 5 recticle choices (I'm prefer just using a single dot).

Ghost ring iron sight is useless w/the reflex sight mounted. Didn't sight in the ghost ring yet so will have to do that b4 I sight in the reflex in case the reflex fails. The various recticles look blurry to me but don't know if that's due to my old eyes or a defect in the sight. The single dot looks the same to me as it does in my 3 TRS-25s and the TRS-32 that I own. So, I think the "problem" is w/my eyes, not the sight.

One thing that I don't really like is the arrangement of the light dial.

The "off" setting sits between the highest green and lowest red settings. So, you can go straight to high green but have to twist the dial all the way around to use high red. I prefer red but, given the way the dial is setup, I'm going to use high green instead. Not a "problem" unless you have to use the high red setting. I don't but I really can't see the dot during normal daylight unless the dot is set to high and I don't shoot at night when the lower intensity settings would be necessary.

Still waiting for a few things for the Ruger carbine before I take it to the range to shoot it. Will report back on the operational performance of the sight after I get those things installed on the gun.

Last edited by sgt1372; 06-19-2018 at 1:47 PM..
Old 06-22-2018, 3:02 PM

Took the PC Carbine to the range in Tracy today.

Shot it w/iron sights only and it hit all black (5.5" diameter) on a standard NRA 25 yd pistol target at 25 yards with the rifle benched and w/o taking much time to aim. Need to take it to another range to try it at 50 yards.

Attached the Ohuhu red dot and for some reason got a double image and had to close one eye to focus on the dot; don't have to do this w/my TRS-25s or TRS-32. Fiddled w/the up/down and right/left adjustments and could NOT zero the sight at ONLY 10 yards. Gave up after about 30 rounds and decided to return it to Amazon. It's on it's way now.

Guess it is junk after all but it was a no risk purchase from Amazon. So no harm, no foul.

Given its apparent accuracy out of the box and my plans to only use it for target shooting, plinking and as a compact trunk gun, I decided that I do NOT need to put any sights on the PC Carbine at all. Nothing to break or go dead and ready to shoot as soon as assembled. It doesn't get any better than that.
Old 06-22-2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
I was looking for an inexpensive rail mounted sight for the Ruger PC Carbine that I just bought and ran across this cheap Ohuhu Reflex Sight in a "best reflex scope for the $" article:

Ohuhu Reflex Sight

Mixed reviews on Amazon. Out of 1500 reviews, 75% positive (4 or 5 stars) and 25% neutral or negative (1-3 stars). Also watched a couple of YouTube videos about it. I've got 4 red dots on other guns (3 TRS-25s and a TRS-32) that I like very much but didn't want to buy yet another. Thought a reflex would look good on the carbine. So, for just $18.39 including tax I decided to take a flyer on it.

Did a quick word search of the forum and didn't see any prior discussion here about it. Just curious to hear comments from anyone here who has actually bought and/or used one.
These are airsoft pieces right? I have seen these on airsoft toy guns. So I would shy away from airsoft optics on real firearms. Not something I would do but you see it all the time.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015

“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
These are airsoft pieces right? I have seen these on airsoft toy guns. So I would shy away from airsoft optics on real firearms. Not something I would do but you see it all the time.
Don't know. Just saw it on Amazon and decided to give it a try.

As with most things, you get what you pay for. Thought it was worth a go since it was basically a no risk purchase. Amazon immediately refunded the cost of purchase, pending return of the sight which is already en route via UPS.

Last edited by sgt1372; 06-23-2018 at 7:22 AM..
Old 06-23-2018, 5:07 AM

I have the CV Life version of this. Really hit or miss with these. I have mine on a Buckmark and it zeroed within ten rounds. I only use it out to 20 yards. Changing reticles or ammo definitely require adjustment. It is not as good as my Bushnell tr-25s but I didn't send it back either. My overall impression of it is "meh".
Old 06-23-2018, 8:53 AM

Been down this rabbit hole before. It is so tempting to purchase what looks to be the same or similar item but without the brand name costs. As stated by others, these products under $50 are a hit or miss. I have tried several, some with 1 + year warranty’s, but return shipping wipes out any value. For $50 to $75ish, I also recommend the TRS-25 or Primary Arms MD-RGB. I have slight astigmatism and found the RGB (and more expensive ADS) has the best dot under $150 for my eyes, even better than Truglo and several Holosuns. If you don’t like the tube RDS, try the Burris Fastfire ($150 on sale) for an open window microRDS that comes with a cover and lifetime warranty.

I wanted to add another statement that some Holosuns, Truglos, and PA RDS look to be the same design, but I have had different models with differences between them and have no experience comparing similar models at the same time.

Last edited by Pharmboy; 06-23-2018 at 10:27 AM..