Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah12 View Post
A few rules, a significant other is not the one to teach the GF/wife how to shoot. Emotions and egos get in the way. Many men think there is only one right or best way to do something. Many women do much better with a woman instructor. Look into Women on Target. My LGR holds women's only classes that have become very popular. Spouses and significant others are not allowed to be in viewing distance of the range.
I have been with my girl for near to 6 1/2 years. She did not want firearms in the house when we moved in together, I told her tough luck, their coming with me or neither of us are coming.

What I will agree with you on is not to push. I never pushed, in fact I never even suggested it. Every once in awhile she would breach the topic with me like a, 'you would probably prefer that I learned how' sort of statement to which I would agree and then say nothing more.

Now here is where I disagree with you. I taught her / am teacher her how to shoot, and she has done well under my instruction if a bit slow going. I have a military background and I am patient about these sorts of things.

she was able to disassemble and assemble my 1911 for 6 months before she shot her first round in 22.

Shes still working her way up from 22 which is fine, we are currently exploring options regarding things like actual recoil vs felt recoil she tends to be a bit nervous with my 9, 40 and 45 (my thoughts are because of felt recoil) but has shot all the way up to 44mag and enjoyed it.

We went indoor, shes never fired a weapon in the light of day.

I am in the process of teaching a female friend as well, shes fired only indoor, fired all the way up to 30-06 and done just fine.

The truth is you have to take your time, dont push, be as patient as possible, even if it takes her 3 years to take interest and another 3 to get comfortable, take the time to move at her pace.
Old 06-16-2017, 4:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
welcome to the LADIES' FORUM, dune870demon.
OT type responses are to be left in OT.
please read the rules Mr K posted for this forum.
it was created so there would be a place for women calgunners to go and not have to put up with the OT attitude.
and, yes, your post reeks of OT attitude.
telling someone in a forum created for women that the OP should rip a ring off her finger just doesn't seem congruous with the intent and the actual rules for this area of calguns.
While the phrasing might be in poor taste, I'm not sure you can argue with the logic if the message.
We do fall in love with people who feel differently than we do about certain subjects. Hell my wife voted for Kerry in her first presidential election. That said there is wisdom in not tying yourself to someone who doesn't like the things you like, especially as that person will have a great deal of influence on how much you get to participate in that hobby.
My mother told me to never marry a woman who wanted me to get rid of my toys. It was sound advice that served me well.

My first date with my wife was her firstvrange trip. I was a Army Infantry Sergeant home from my first tour in Iraq. She told me she had never been shooting but only because she didn't know anyone with a gun. No one in her family was opposed to guns, they all believed in the right to own them, they were just disinterested.
I took her to the local indoor range and broke it down for her as far as safety and marksmanship. I ran a few rounds through a full sized 1911 and then handed it to her. She was scared, but she picked it up, loaded, and slow fired the whole magazine into the target. At 7 yards she had all 7 rounds in the 10 ring! Then she held the pistol up, looked at it, her target, then me and said "Well you're never leaving me now boy!" We both laughed and she decided right then and there she wanted a pistol of her own. I ended up buying her a Glock 17. 12 years later she still has the Glock but also sports a featureless 5.56 AR with an Elcan, and she shoots them very well.
Now had that date gone the other way and she slammed the empty gun down and said there would never be a gun in her house, that would have been our last date. I wouldn't have loved her any less but I won't let a state disarm me, why would I let an anti into my life? Any person that wants to disarm you does not have your best interests at heart, so why try building a life with them?

It seems fairly common knowledge that women who marry men hoping they will change are foolish, why would it be any different for men?
Old 06-16-2017, 5:59 AM

A friend of mine grew up in England and although her father was career army she always hated guns. She and her husband have been living in the states for 25 years now. What changed fir her was seeing the chaos that happened after hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. She and her husband realized they live in an area known for large earthquakes and if the big one hit their neighborhood would likely be hit by looters and other bad guys. They decided to buy a shotgun for self defense.

She still says she hates guns but realizes they need one in s SHTF situation. I took them to a range to treach them hiw to shoot and even had her shooting a couple assault rifles (which she still didn't care for, but at least she tried them)
Old 06-16-2017, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
Now here is where I disagree with you. I taught her / am teacher her how to shoot, and she has done well under my instruction if a bit slow going. I have a military background and I am patient about these sorts of things.

she was able to disassemble and assemble my 1911 for 6 months before she shot her first round in 22.

Shes still working her way up from 22 which is fine, we are currently exploring options regarding things like actual recoil vs felt recoil she tends to be a bit nervous with my 9, 40 and 45 (my thoughts are because of felt recoil) but has shot all the way up to 44mag and enjoyed it.

We went indoor, shes never fired a weapon in the light of day.

I am in the process of teaching a female friend as well, shes fired only indoor, fired all the way up to 30-06 and done just fine.

The truth is you have to take your time, dont push, be as patient as possible, even if it takes her 3 years to take interest and another 3 to get comfortable, take the time to move at her pace.
I am glad you teaching your GF is working out. Most of the times it does not. This does not just apply to firearms but to just about everything in life. It is human nature to have less patience when teaching someone that you have a significant emotional connection to, especially when they are not learning as fast as you think they should. It does not matter if it is wife teaching husband, husband teaching wife, parent teaching child, or whatever.

I am a teacher and have taught many different things in my life. The issues that arise come from both sides and how they are perceived by both.

As a teacher who has actually spent a lot of time learning how humans learn and what motivates people to learn long before I became a teacher, I also have a good understand how to teach in a way to make people want to learn more.

When learning a skill, the brain can only focus on 3 steps at most until they get transferred to permanent memory. Add that 4th and it interferes with the brain learning the other 3. Most significant others go too fast and cannot step back and make an unemotional assessment of what is going on to provide valuable feedback.

Most who have not had any training on how to teach but are highly analytical and linear thinkers fall into the trap of what does someone need to know about guns in order to shoot. So they teach the rules, the history of guns, how to clean guns, and all sorts of other information like it is some college class. After 3 months they then plan to actually shoot the gun. The first range trip is shooting 10 rounds of .22, with 10 minutes of instruction between each round and lots of critic about why they are not hitting the bullseye and the instructor showing off how well he can shoot.

Contrast that to how most parents teach their kids to shoot. They load up everything and go to the range. They might have a talk before the trip to explain what to expect, but know the child will likely forget most of it.

At the range they give the kid the ear protection why saying hear that loud noise, this is protects your ears from getting hurt by the loud noise and you have to wear it the whole time you are here. Then they give them the eye protection and give the same spiel about protecting the eyes.

At the firing line, dad pulls out the single shot Cricket while explaining why he kept the muzzle pointing down range all the time. He explains about the red line, and all the other rules. He knows his kid will not remember them all. When the cease fire is called, they walk together downrange to hang targets. Dad explains what they are doing and why it is okay now to go down range. Before going down range though, the chamber flag was inserted into the barrel and the bolt left open.

When the range is again hot, dad shows his kid how to load a round, how to use the sights, and then how to pull the trigger. Then dad shows how to eject the trigger and repeats two or 3 times. Then it is time for junior. Dad talks junior through the steps. There is no real concern about accuracy. Dad is happy if junior hits anywhere on the target. Dad talks junior through it again and again.

Soon dad has junior talk through a couple of the steps and only intervenes if something is missed. Soon junior is able to talk through all the steps.

If teaching gets to shooting quickly, under the guidance of a trainer, then the person has immediate fun and feedback. They are shooting. Now they have self-motivation to learn more to continue learning more. As they master each step they will want to learn what they are ready for next, cleaning, how different guns work, different calibers, etc. By being with a trainer, the rules are not just memorized, they are practiced and learned by doing. A routine is established. Once a routine is established, try breaking it, it is hard for people to break a routine.

At my LGR, I have seen women go from being timid and fearful even shooting a ,22 to shooting a .44 mag like a pro in 4 weeks after 4 2-hr women only classes. At that point, they can truly select a gun that works best for them in fitting their hands, meeting their comfort needs, using the caliber they want, and anything else they consider important.

I know that feeling. I have that gun already, that one gun you would keep if you had to give up all but one gun.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 09-11-2017, 8:44 PM

I enjoyed shooting... a little. Not an enthsiast, by any means. My husband, an amazing shot, wished I went more often. Then someone handed me a Ruger GP100 .357 and that was it. Such a pleasure to shoot, accurate, powerful and just plain fun. Now we're at the range every weekend, I have 5 guns (Bertha, my GP100 is still my favorite) and I'm certifying for my CCW this week. I am (happily) addicted.

Let her find what suits her best. I never would have even looked closely at Bertha in the store so hands-on is key. And patience.
Old 10-02-2017, 8:29 PM

I was indifferent about firearms. Wasn't afraid of them but I wasn't interested in owning one. The only time I really became annoyed is when I heard of someone having what "I thought" was an insane amount of firearms but then again, I didn't really care. I never thought I would own a firearms let alone two. After getting my Jeep broken into and eventually stolen, I changed my mind and decided to become a gun owner. The fact that I remained single was another reason why I became a gun owner along with the way the CA gun laws were changing. I thought I should have one firearm before it became hard to get a permit. I'm very low key about telling people that I own firearms and only bring it up among those who already know that I own firearms (2 shotguns). I enjoy trapshooting and it sucks that the gun laws here make it harder for me to enjoy a nice sport. Yeah, it's a sport in book.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiW View Post
I never would have even looked closely at Bertha in the store so hands-on is key. And patience.

Strange vibrations of old threads permeating the firmament this evening; like ancient gods staggering down darkened city streets, drunk on single malt, and pining for the good old days of blood sacrifices and temple prostitution.

"Remembering speechlessly we seek the great forgotten language, the lost lane-end into heaven, ... O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again."

...but wait, ye f****** gods, did someone say let's get hands on with some guns?

“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time

Last edited by Volksgrenadier; 10-12-2017 at 4:14 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 5:38 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

missed you, Volks! not as much as I miss HST but have missed your 'channeling' of same! and I missed that VickiW was semi-channeling........
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-12-2017, 4:13 PM

I was hoping that the Calguns resident cat-in-a-box might take notice.

And yes, I miss Raoul Duke as well. But the spirit of the good Doc lives on in all of us who have seen the edge.

“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time