Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 11-08-2018, 1:28 PM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIELDWORKS360 View Post
Williams Blades. Made by Winkler.
Love the style. Good old Idaho, I'm hoping to move there one day.
Old 11-08-2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
They're FAKES!!!
Lighten up. There are fakes ALL over the net and they aren't limited to ZT/Kershaws. A lot of them are sold on eBay as "real".

This experience helped me to determine which is which as far as Kershaws (of which I own quite a few) are concerned and 3 out of 45 are suspected "fakes." The tip off is the box. Well worth the effort IMO.

Howeer, the "fakes" I got that pass muster are indistinguishable from the "real" thing which I think has a lot to do w/the fact that they are all made in China in the 1st place. If I sold them w/o the box, no one would even know but, since I never sell anything I buy, it will never be an issue in my lifetime. Only my heirs will have to struggle w/the problem and I will make it plain what that problem is before it becomes their problem, rather than mine.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-08-2018 at 2:30 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
I almost bought a 0462BLK yesterday before the guy put a 0452CF in my hand, then the 0450CF went into my hand and I was sold
Never heard of Perry's before. Just Googled it.

It's right on Hwy 4 where I drive by all the time. Have to check them out myself this weekend. May make a trip to the flea market and get a sandwich or BBQ at Kinder's right around the corner too.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-08-2018 at 2:46 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I have not seen a bead blasted Busse Kin live, but that might be interesting. Wish they did a stone wash.
I think the BIG DC finish is bead blasted. The only one I had like that was the HOGB8.
Old 11-08-2018, 3:24 PM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Lighten up. There are fakes ALL over the net and they aren't limited to ZT/Kershaws. A lot of them are sold on eBay as "real".

This experience helped me to determine which is which as far as Kershaws (of which I own quite a few) are concerned and 3 out of 45 are suspected "fakes." The tip off is the box. Well worth the effort IMO.

Howeer, the "fakes" I got that pass muster are indistinguishable from the "real" thing which I think has a lot to do w/the fact that they are all made in China in the 1st place. If I sold them w/o the box, no one would even know but, since I never sell anything I buy, it will never be an issue in my lifetime. Only my heirs will have to struggle w/the problem and I will make it plain what that problem is before it becomes their problem, rather than mine.
You're being myopic.

Fakes are a problem for the reasons you state. What you're not admitting to is you may not be contributing directly to the problems they create at this time but you are supporting the market, the counterfeiters etc.

Eventually all fakes will become someones problem at some point, guaranteed.
Old 11-08-2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
You're being myopic.

Fakes are a problem for the reasons you state. What you're not admitting to is you may not be contributing directly to the problems they create at this time but you are supporting the market, the counterfeiters etc.

Eventually all fakes will become someones problem at some point, guaranteed.
Nonsense.

The few clones that I've knowing bought I did so for a reason. To learn about what they look like and how to distinguish them from others. There are thousands of "fakes" that I bought unknowingly but less informated people. You may have bought some without even knowing so. I already have and that doesn't "support" the fake market. It makes me a "victim" of it.

With the knowledge I have now, I can avoid buying any "fakes" in the future and the more we know about them the less likely they can sell any and the less attractive the market for "fakes" will become. So get off your F*CKING high horse and deal w/the reality of the market as is it. The more you know about it, the better you can protect yourself from it.
Old 11-08-2018, 3:32 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:

So youre intentionally buying cheap fakes that will quite possibly be mistaken as real in the future, and youre intentionally buying poorly made reproductions just so you can attempt a refund, even though you could clearly see in the pictures before you recieved the item, that it was poorly copied but mistakenly listed as a clone instead of copy. I assume you keep these knives after getting your money back?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-08-2018, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Wish they did a stone wash.
When I strip them I use a sander on them that gives the same appearance as stone washing if the surface is smooth.

Old 11-08-2018, 3:41 PM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

edit: I'm an idiot. Apologies. Don't mean to derail this thread I love.
Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

Last edited by readysetgo; 11-09-2018 at 8:06 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Popcorn, waiting for the knife pics.

Last edited by crufflers; 11-09-2018 at 9:49 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 9:58 PM

Olamic Wayferer 247 coming soon...don’t think the Chinese have knocked these off yet.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM
No Prisoners!

Quote:
Nonsense.

The few clones that I've knowing bought I did so for a reason. To learn about what they look like and how to distinguish them from others. There are thousands of "fakes" that I bought unknowingly but less informated people. You may have bought some without even knowing so. I already have and that doesn't "support" the fake market. It makes me a "victim" of it.

With the knowledge I have now, I can avoid buying any "fakes" in the future and the more we know about them the less likely they can sell any and the less attractive the market for "fakes" will become. So get off your F*CKING high horse and deal w/the reality of the market as is it. The more you know about it, the better you can protect yourself from it.
You can avoid buying fakes by buying from a reputable dealer or trader.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 AM
No Prisoners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
When I strip them I use a sander on them that gives the same appearance as stone washing if the surface is smooth.
I'm sorry but could you share the details of what you are using for these results? Looks really good. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
So youre intentionally buying cheap fakes that will quite possibly be mistaken as real in the future, and youre intentionally buying poorly made reproductions just so you can attempt a refund, even though you could clearly see in the pictures before you recieved the item, that it was poorly copied but mistakenly listed as a clone instead of copy. I assume you keep these knives after getting your money back?
Nothing I buy of questionable origin will EVER be represented as a REAL version of the knife by me. As you well know, pictures are not an entirely accurate representation of what you will receive because authenticity is not just measured by appearance but also by feel and weight and other cues that cannot be well represented in a photo.

As I mentioned, I have previously bought some Kershaws of questionable origin unknowingly and I would NOT now know that they were/are of questionable origin, if I had not bought the knives that I received from China. The tip off is the box. If the box is not properly marked w/the name and model # of the knife printed on it, then it's likely a "fake" -- that is a knife that is indented to deceive the purchaser into believe that it is an authentic version of the knife, whien it's not. That's MY definition of a "fake."

I do not consider the Chinese clones that I bought to be "fakes" (by my definition) because I already know that they are not real versions of the knife and bought the for the purpose of seeing what they look/feel like and how closely they replicate the original or not. As mentioned previously, I've experienced mixed results w/the knives that I have received from China and all of those plus others that I received via eBay that are also questionable will be kept separately from all of the others. They will never be resold by me but will be kept as a comparison group for my use (and to educate others, if others care to learn about the distinction).

Regarding "fakes," I was just forewarned about a Spyderco Yojimbo fake that I won and bought at auction on eBay. Amazingly, the seller was the one who raised the issue. Someone asked if what he was selling was a clone and he posted a late warning notice about the possibility that it was a fake AND he wrote to ask if I saw the warning, which I didn't, b4 he sent me the knife.

So, I investigated the authenticity of his knife w/pics of a genuine version of it on Spyderco's site and by reading various commentaries about how to distinguish Yojimbo fakes AND the conclusion was that the knife being sold (apparently unbeknownst to the seller). Based on my assessment, the seller canceled the sale and issued me a refund.

THIS is an actual example of the FAKE problem that exists in the marketplace.

My purchase of the Chinese clones has no effect on that problem because that problem exists irrespective of that purchase but this purchasing experience enabled me to identify several Kershaw "fakes" that were sold to me as "real" which I could not have done otherwise. So, I have absolutely no concerns or reservations about what I've done.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You can avoid buying fakes by buying from a reputable dealer or trader.
Not necessarily so. There are "reputable" sellers on eBay and elsewhere who are unknowingly selling "fakes" as authentic versions of knives because the "fakes" are very good and can only be distinguished upon close examination.

The Sypderco Yojimbo that the seller unknowingly sold to me, as discussed above, is an example.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm sorry but could you share the details of what you are using for these results? Looks really good. Thanks.
Usually Citristrip for at least a few hours or overnight, butterknife to scrape the coating, cheap random orbital with the round discs... pretty rough grit, but typically they are really worn out discs.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:32 AM

now back to your regularly schedule program....
Old 11-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

As far as etching... that has to be done before the stripping to use the laser engraved logo as the mask. Etching is simple. Capfull of water with teaspoon of salt dissolved for etchant... 9-volt battery or similar with +- wires, one clipped to blade bare steel even the sharp edge if no where else, the other wire wrapped around a Q-Tip head which is soaked in etchant. Just rub the cotton swab on the logo and it will remove material fast. Wipe, inspect, repeat to depth you want, then strip, sand. Typically on Busse/kin you won't see the logo after stripping without an etch.

Most of the detail work removing little bits of powdercoat from blades or handles, I just use the good ole butter knife. Smoother the surface, the easier it is... Mil Regulators kind of bubble up on the grind and comes off almost by itself, others are work. KABAR has some crazy coating on a textured grind that takes forever to clean up. I probably spent more time on a little BK15 than any others.

If you get sick of the bare look... rattle can it, hahah.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-26...+kit+rustoleum

Last edited by crufflers; 11-09-2018 at 12:05 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixorz View Post
Very nice! Gorgeous. Ahh the Photobucket watermark. I guess all the old pics in a million threads are back? PB really screwed the pooch with that BS.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixorz View Post
shes a pretty girl.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM

Luckily she came with an extra ti clip so I can put the timascus clip in the safe.
Old 11-09-2018, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

GEC Beer Scout - Golden Ale Jigged Bone

Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter - neat little knife

Last edited by crufflers; 11-09-2018 at 6:00 PM..
Old 11-10-2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
That's my first ZT, bought it this afternoon and I bought a 0452CF to go with it, Perry's in Concord made me a cash deal I couldn't refuse
Thanks again for the tip on Perry's.

Stopped by today and was surprised they sold automatics and balisongs across the counter. Asked how they get around the law which says no "person" can sell or loan an automatic in CA. Salesclerk said it didn't apply to businesses. Not sure about that. I'm certainly not going to "report" them but any civilian who "complains" to the Concord PD or Contra Costa SD about the sale of autos/balisongs could cause them problems.

Anyway, I lost out on an eBay auction and had money to burn so decided to buy a Bradley Kimura balisong that they had hanging on the wall. Cost me about $30 more than if I bought it online but it was "there" and it was a way to support a local business. Lots of other knives to choose from but I wanted the B-K to pair w/and play w/instead of my much more expensive Benchmade Model 62.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-11-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for the tip on Perry's.
Happy to recommend them. They use to be downtown on Willow Pass by the park in a much smaller shop, they have a lot to choose from, hard to get out of there without seeing something you like.
Old 11-11-2018, 4:52 PM

Just bought a Microtech Halo V, like this one, which has a 4.6" blade and a very cool "charging handle" like an AR:

Also bought a Microstech Stich-A, which helps round out the collection but it isn't as cool as the Halo.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-11-2018 at 4:57 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Union Steel Oak Tool Chest

I know this is kinda off-topic but also kinda on. Vintage oak machinists tool chest. Will be my new/old knife display & storage. I plan to do a light resto with new felt inside, Murphy's oil soap & some wax. Polish up the metal & maybe, just maybe a new leather handle. We shall see....

Old 11-11-2018, 9:14 PM

Very nice ^^^, that will be fun to fill up

http://i68.tinypic.com/a45y0h.jpg
Old 11-11-2018, 9:42 PM

Needed a cheap work knife to carry around, my last one just broke. Got this one for $14 and am pleased. Feels and looks good and got her razor sharp, nice strong spring function.
Old 11-12-2018, 4:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
I know this is kinda off-topic but also kinda on. Vintage oak machinists tool chest.
Really nice. I saw a guy on Blade Forums using one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Trinity-TWM-3...89533969&psc=1

I like Glocks, so I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-SU4-11-Sp...rtsman+utility

Old 11-12-2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
I know this is kinda off-topic but also kinda on. Vintage oak machinists tool chest. Will be my new/old knife display & storage. I plan to do a light resto with new felt inside, Murphy's oil soap & some wax. Polish up the metal & maybe, just maybe a new leather handle. We shall see....
Nice! Reminds me of an old vintage "shooting" box. Are you going to fill it w/vintage knives? Would make a nice display case in your home.
Old 11-12-2018, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nice! Reminds me of an old vintage "shooting" box. Are you going to fill it w/vintage knives? Would make a nice display case in your home.
That would be neat. All traditional would be pretty cool too.