Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-18-2015, 3:14 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Lots and lots of bandaids, including the giant 3"x5" size. One injury might require several changes if you are walking out the woods. And Band aids are light weight, weigh nothing. You want about 10 of the every size at least, except the giant ones where 5 will do.

A needle to remove splinters.

Aspirin.

Some antibiotic pads.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 09-15-2015, 1:47 PM

Order here Click to order

Order here Click to order
Old 09-15-2015, 2:14 PM

Those "arteries" look more like veins.
Old 09-15-2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicdude View Post
Those "arteries" look more like veins.
With the red block and arrows I was depicting more the area to which the tourniquet would be applied and the vital artery in that respective area.

I was going to write both the artery and vein of a respective area since I understood that a person could exsanguinate from a severed vein just like an artery but to minimize space I only stated the arteries as that is what has been highly emphasized from the hip pocket classes I have had.

So to dove tail Doc, between veinous and arterial bleeding, is one worse than the other or are they equally bad?
Old 10-05-2015, 8:17 PM

Well heres what I have this is only my kit which is also part of my EDC/Hiking Pack. Ill do my best to list the contents of my kit.

I keep my kit in 2 thats right 2 Sea To Summit Dry Bags. I spend alot of time in wet conditions as this kit is part of my EDC/Hiking pack as I stated before, so far this set up has yet to fail me.

This is the kit itself its a BlackHawk Roll Out Kit

This is my kit when its unrolled

Here I moved some things around so you folks can maybe get a better view of whats in the kit.

I was going to try to list all the items but that would take to long lol im hoping you can make out whats in the kit just from the pics. Ill list a few things that may not been seen clearly in the pics I have betadine solution, nitrile gloves, face masks, scalpels #10, tongue depressors, assorted band aids, all kinds of meds to cover stomach problems, allergies, pain relievers, common cold and flu, sore throat ect.

The second attachment to this kit is my RPC/ Air Way kit.

I also carry 2 Sam Splints with me but those go in my pack

Well folks thats my Med Kit. If anyone has any questions or wants some info on my Kit feel free to ask.

Mike
Old 09-10-2016, 3:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Reading the Doom and Bloom web site again, and here's a video about their Gunshot kit - http://www.doomandbloom.net/nurse-am...treatment-kit/

A new-ish item is in it - the Celox-A Applicator.

About $26 at Amazon; I just bought 4.
Thanks for that, Librarian. I bought two.
Old 01-29-2017, 9:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I picked up a nifty little fingertip pulse oximeter. It displays heart rate and O2 saturation, which I suppose could be useful.

Last edited by Dutch3; 01-29-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Old 01-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Calguns Addict

My first aid kit???.....my Obummer care card.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I picked up a nifty little fingertip pulse oximeter. It displays heart rate and O2 saturation, which I suppose could be useful.

I think I may have just bought the same model - got my 'shipped' email today.

The pulse is handy - don't have to count and stare at your watch.

BTW, if the dr/nurse seems to take a long time, it's usually because they're also counting your respirations after they have the pulse number. Folks tend to breathe faster if you tell them you're counting.

I think there is also a pulse/ox thing that will count respirations somehow, but I recall it being around $300, more than I want to spend.

And this site - http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/d/decr...tion/intro.htm - tells a bit of what you use the O2 saturation number for.

'Normal' would be 100% 'on room air'; usually you can watch it bounce around from about 95% to 100% during breathing. Someone with pneumonia might run below 92%, at which point the docs recommend hospitalization.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 01-29-2017 at 11:58 AM..
Old 01-29-2017, 5:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I think I may have just bought the same model - got my 'shipped' email today.

The pulse is handy - don't have to count and stare at your watch.

BTW, if the dr/nurse seems to take a long time, it's usually because they're also counting your respirations after they have the pulse number. Folks tend to breathe faster if you tell them you're counting.

I think there is also a pulse/ox thing that will count respirations somehow, but I recall it being around $300, more than I want to spend.

And this site - http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/d/decr...tion/intro.htm - tells a bit of what you use the O2 saturation number for.

'Normal' would be 100% 'on room air'; usually you can watch it bounce around from about 95% to 100% during breathing. Someone with pneumonia might run below 92%, at which point the docs recommend hospitalization.
My O2 number is usually around 98-99, but pulse is usually higher than in that pic. 90-95 resting. Not good, I know.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Im very particular about my first aid kit. I have numerous ones for vehicle, edc and other functions. I manufacture kits for a local training facility as well as for an out of state agency (pending) as well as a couple of resorts (pending).

I carry a Swat-t and an israeli 24/7 no matter what when or where.

If you are on a tight budget I can be happy to suggest alternatives to some of the expensive items out there..

But even more important, purchase what you know how to use. I am sure some people say, I carry it in case someone else knows how to use it, but remember do you want some stranger trying to put a needle in your kids chest cause they say they are qualified..
Old 01-30-2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

The pulse ox is great for normal everyday stuff. I use it on grandma intermittently when feeling unwell. A quick check on rate and o2. Hands on to confirm rate and importantly feeling strength and regularity of circulation. 95% is generally considered the line for good or not. And the waves is capnography. Generally you want to see shark fins. For anyone that dives or hikes..real handy due to pressure changes and lung/pulmonary physiology. Nicer units in field are great for tension pneumothorax or as mentioned illness. More tools of deduction
Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 PM

Updated the Truck's First Aid Kit. Please note that this First Aid System was designed primarily for Shooting Range, Camping, and ATV outings, as well as other events.

Old 03-22-2017, 9:46 PM

I know this thread is kinda old but since folks are still responding I'll throw in my two cents. I run virtually everything that most BLS EMTs run other than a defibrillator and o2 in my backpack (from glucose gel to pediatric OPAs) but my go-to trauma kit for prepping/bugout/active shooter/car accident/etc that I carry e v e r y w h e r e is composed as follows:
On the exterior: Trauma Shears, two CAT tourniquets, two RATS tourniquets and a sharpie.
On the interior: Adult and Teen/Middle Schooler OPAs, 2x Adult NPAs, 2x Israeli compression bandages, roughly 200 4x4 guazes (unsanitized), 800 yards of roll gauze (sanitized), 2x 50g QuikKlot bandages, Hyphin Chest Seal (set of 2 for entry and exit wounds), SAM Splint, and Mylar blanket to treat for shock.
Keep it simple for your trauma kit/blowout bag, the last thing you want is to be fumbling with 300 bandaids and neosporin while you have excessive bleeding. Keep the non-essentials in a backback or a full med-kit in your vehicle, but I definitely recommend keeping a trauma kit close at hand at all times. - Riley, NREMT
Old 06-06-2017, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketti View Post
Updated the Truck's First Aid Kit. Please note that this First Aid System was designed primarily for Shooting Range, Camping, and ATV outings, as well as other events.
You sure have a lot of stuff in that M9. Mine doesn't have half that, and it is nearly bursting at the seams. I guess I need to reorganize.
Old 06-07-2017, 8:42 AM
moriartiarmaments

Default Probably these items.

• PPE (gloves, mask, eye protection)
  • 1 or 2 tourniquets
  • 1 heavy duty 2" tape
  • Collapsible bag valve mask
  • Antibiotic ointments and creams
  • Aspirin, Tylenol or Ibuprofen
  • Codeine or some type of pain killer
  • Chemical Ice Bags
  • OTC Meds
  • Sterile needles and surgical blades.
  • Tweezers
  • 1 personal care kit (PCK) that includes personal medications, sunscreen, insect repellant, and/or contact lens supplies
Old 07-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Can someone please recommend a complete range first aid kit. My google-foo seems to be off today. The main purpose will be to keep with my range bag. I should update my car kit at the same time. Been a long time since I went over it.
Old 07-22-2017, 9:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Can someone please recommend a complete range first aid kit. My google-foo seems to be off today. The main purpose will be to keep with my range bag. I should update my car kit at the same time. Been a long time since I went over it.
Rescue Essentials offers some comprehensive range kits here.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/se...=newsl&Search=

I probably could have saved some money if I had started with something like this instead of piecing things together.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post

Also check www.mymedic.us and refactortactical.com
Old 07-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you. I will be making my decision before my next range trip.
Old 08-14-2017, 3:08 AM

well i have several things in my kit like plasters in a variety of different sizes and shapes.small, medium and large sterile gauze dressings.
triangular bandages. crêpe rolled bandages. safety pins.gloves and some pain killers
https://lifeundersky.com/
Old 12-25-2017, 5:53 PM

Great thread
Old 07-30-2019, 8:29 PM

I’m curious if anybody has any updates or suggestions? I’m looking for a small kit to keep in my laptop bag that goes to and from work with me. I’m less worried about price and more interested in a link to a good kit that has just the essentials for a possible earthquake first aid kit. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

Kinda depends on WHICH kit you're referring to.

IFAK on my chest rig is basically gunshot would treatment - vent seals, heavy gauze, Celox, and two CaT-7's on either side.

I have some heavy duty G-7 med kist in my bugout duffels - I can basically do minor surgery with these!

Then there's the everyday boo-boo kits. Got those in ANOTHER duffel, along with other, more 'everyday' sorts of supplies.

You CAN do-it-all with ONE kit... if you LIKE toting around a portable ER. Best to break 'em down into particular needs, and store 'em accordingly.
Old 07-21-2020, 6:21 AM

One of the best kits I've found https://mymedic.com/collections/firs...18729456238688

Also for EDC RATS makes a great kit https://www.rapidtq.com/collections/...very-day-carry
Old 08-11-2020, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

What do you guys think about this as a one and done for the car that goes fishing and shooting, and is a daily driver?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PH21926..._it&th=1&psc=1

Reading through the contents, none of it looks like I would have any issues with, but it seems a bit much. I can only think of adding more band-aids of different sizes.

I was also considering getting the smaller 300 one that doesn't have the fracture and sprains items, which I don't think is necessary as that's more for deep hiking and camping in the wilderness where you're alone. The 200 seems a bit weak overall.

My other thought was to get the:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002K66484...v_ov_lig_dp_it

And the trauma pak and israeli bandage in the "Frequently bought together" section, then call it a day. I just don't like that I can't carry them all together in one first aid container.
Old 12-08-2021, 4:30 PM

I mostly carry only Instant Cold Packs and ankle brace, and some DEET or Euc bug juice, sometimes sunscreen and sometimes a 12oz soda bottle of whiskey.

My theory is about the only thing I'm really going to want to treat when actually out on a hike is a sprained ankle because putting ICE (Immobilize, Cold, Elevation) is what stops the internal bleeding and its the IB that causes swelling and if you treat it on the spot it will heal much much faster.

I've been out for a bit THEN the bugs attack (fortunately was on a bike on fairly flat ground so able to escape, but it was scary) so never try to be without bug juice.

I also try to always carry a cell phone power bank and cord. I guess even better would be a whole spare cell phone in tough case, charged up but turned off. I guess its less of an issue now but used to be you'd be out of cell range and your phone would drain its batt trying to make a connection.
Old 04-29-2023, 1:05 AM

Emergency Wound Closure Zip Sutures Butterfly Bandaids, Repair Wounds Without Stitches, Must Have For First Aid Kits.

Last edited by junlin; 05-05-2023 at 8:18 AM..