Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2008, 1:56 PM
.454 .454 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,841
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default Cooked a bunch of Chinese Lead Muffins

...that's how my kid calls them. Chinese because lots of products coming from China have lead and other nasty stuff in them, and muffins because I used muffin trays to pour the smelted lead in.







The rest of the day will be dedicated to working up some 454Casull hunting loads with Barnes copper bullets.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2008, 2:52 PM
gwl's Avatar
gwl gwl is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The foggy side of SF
Posts: 1,334
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

mmmm, tasty muffins!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2008, 3:15 PM
tankerman's Avatar
tankerman tankerman is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 24,253
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

What's that in the background, wheel weights?


Looks like you've got enough lead in your diet.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2008, 4:40 PM
ciscosixgun's Avatar
ciscosixgun ciscosixgun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 370
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Get your lead level checked twice a year and make sure you do the same for your kid.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2008, 7:40 PM
.454 .454 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,841
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
What's that in the background, wheel weights?


Looks like you've got enough lead in your diet.

Yep, that's another bucket full. I got tired after the first one.
Lead is dangerous only when it comes flying at ya.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2008, 3:26 PM
scrat's Avatar
scrat scrat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Monrovia
Posts: 1,516
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

and where are you located. got any extras
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2008, 3:30 PM
.454 .454 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,841
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrat View Post
and where are you located. got any extras
Near LA. I may be able to get another two buckets, let me know and I'll make a call at the tire place. They charge $75 a piece, bring your own empty Homer buckets in exchange.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2008, 4:25 PM
Ugly Dwarf Ugly Dwarf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Contra Costa County, CA
Posts: 1,087
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTURNERSEMP View Post
...that's how my kid calls them. Chinese because lots of products coming from China have lead and other nasty stuff in them, and muffins because I used muffin trays to pour the smelted lead in.
Ouch! I just chipped a tooth on one of those. I'm sticking to corn bread from now on.

I pulled this thread up as my 3 year old walked into my office. He saw the pic and asked what those were. I said "lead muffins" and he asked if we could eat some. It amused me.

Good idea using muffin trays. I may have to give that a try before buying an ingot mold.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2008, 4:38 PM
scrat's Avatar
scrat scrat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Monrovia
Posts: 1,516
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTURNERSEMP View Post
Near LA. I may be able to get another two buckets, let me know and I'll make a call at the tire place. They charge $75 a piece, bring your own empty Homer buckets in exchange.
pm me the info im down. i could use the extra for sure
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-24-2008, 4:46 PM
Gnome's Avatar
Gnome Gnome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,693
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

What exactly are they for? Forgive my ignorance.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-24-2008, 4:54 PM
Pugster's Avatar
Pugster Pugster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 897
iTrader: 75 / 100%
Default

Casting your own bullets; the real bullets (projectiles).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-24-2008, 4:58 PM
.454 .454 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,841
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Dwarf View Post
Ouch! I just chipped a tooth on one of those. I'm sticking to corn bread from now on.

I pulled this thread up as my 3 year old walked into my office. He saw the pic and asked what those were. I said "lead muffins" and he asked if we could eat some. It amused me.

Good idea using muffin trays. I may have to give that a try before buying an ingot mold.

You can find them at 99Cents store, each tray has six muffin holes. Make sure to take out the teflon coating with a little sandpaper then let them out in the backyard to rust ( you can dip them in water then sprinkle some table salt inside the holes). If the trays are not rusted, the lead will stick inside the holes.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-24-2008, 5:08 PM
.454 .454 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,841
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
What exactly are they for? Forgive my ignorance.

They're ingredients for magic spells and potions. If we tell you more, we'd be forced to kill you.



Now seriously, they are ingots of lead resulted from smelting wheel weights and are used to cast bullets at home.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-24-2008, 9:56 PM
Ugly Dwarf Ugly Dwarf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Contra Costa County, CA
Posts: 1,087
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTURNERSEMP View Post
You can find them at 99Cents store, each tray has six muffin holes. Make sure to take out the teflon coating with a little sandpaper then let them out in the backyard to rust ( you can dip them in water then sprinkle some table salt inside the holes). If the trays are not rusted, the lead will stick inside the holes.
Thanks for the tip. I was going to PM you about the teflon... I'll give sand paper and salt water a try.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-25-2008, 9:10 AM
xrMike's Avatar
xrMike xrMike is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: waaaaay South Bay
Posts: 7,402
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I can't be the only one wondering how many condors one of those muffins could kill, can I?

It's gotta be a lot. Maybe even all of them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:55 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.