Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Default Rock Island VR80

Just put a deposit down on one of these at Turdner’s, on sale for $649.

Comes with a fixed mag setup. Anyone know if we can change to a regular pistol grip and collapsable stock, with it being fixed mag? How about featureless? Or are the rules different from AR’s being a shotgun?

Thanks

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria-imp...d-series/vr80/

Last edited by FlyingShooter; 04-26-2019 at 11:53 AM..
Old 04-26-2019, 11:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

so how do you reload?

it functions like a break open ar15?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 04-26-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
so how do you reload?

it functions like a break open ar15?
Yeah just like it. It’s basically an ar15 patterned shotgun.

Fixed mag setup appears to be the Hogue freedom fighter, or something similar. Pull the rear takedown pin and it hinges open about 30degrees and then normal mag release to change. Comes with 2 five round mags, with 9 rounders available...
Old 04-26-2019, 11:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

hmmm..... i wonder how easy it will be to convert back to regular mag release and go featureless on it. just block out the hole with a plate of kydex or change out the stock and grip since it uses ar15 buttstock and grip per video reviews i found online of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 04-26-2019, 11:26 AM

That’s all stuff i’m wondering too. I am very familiar with the ar15 rules for fixed mag & featureless, just not sure if any of that differs when it comes to shotgun rules?

Yeah I think you could block it like you said, or probably even drill it out. I am hoping it can even be removed with a simple hex key with the action open. All in all didn’t look too bad to remove if one needed/wanted too.

Last edited by FlyingShooter; 04-26-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 AM

Make it featureless?

I see others have the same idea...
Old 04-26-2019, 1:08 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

No such thing as featureless shotguns. According to the shotgun flowchart, any semi automatic with a detachable magazine violates pc 12276.1a

https://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-26-2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
No such thing as featureless shotguns. According to the shotgun flowchart, any semi automatic with a detachable magazine violates pc 12276.1a

Bummer. Unless I missed it, I don’t see anything about what features a ahotgun can have with a fixed magazine? Can you put an adjustable stock and standard pistol grip then?
Old 04-26-2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:

Exactly! Beat me to it.
Went to my local Turners to check it out. Clerk says none are available for display but they have them at the warehouse.
Old 04-26-2019, 1:31 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShooter View Post
Bummer. Unless I missed it, I don’t see anything about what features a ahotgun can have with a fixed magazine? Can you put an adjustable stock and standard pistol grip then?
fixed stock and pistol grip or thumbhole is ok. As soon as its a telescoping or folding stock you cant have a pistol grip any more.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-26-2019, 1:37 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
Exactly! Beat me to it.
Went to my local Turners to check it out. Clerk says none are available for display but they have them at the warehouse.
Wow they got them quick. Last notice I saw from a distributor a couple days ago was that the shotguns were still on the water..
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 04-26-2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
When I had a Saiga, I was able to have a PG but not an adjustable stock. The laws for semi auto shotguns is not the same as for semi auto rifles. If in doubt, check the flow chart.
Old 04-26-2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
Exactly! Beat me to it.
Where you at? San Bernardino store has 1 on display, and are selling ones from out of the warehouse so they can keep it out to fondle..

Last edited by FlyingShooter; 04-26-2019 at 1:51 PM..
Old 04-26-2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
fixed stock and pistol grip or thumbhole is ok. As soon as its a telescoping or folding stock you cant have a pistol grip any more.
Thanks for all the dialogue. And so I assume even a Sparrow dynamics grip that’s angled back would be considered a pistol grip on it then?

I guess the only thing it sounds like you could do is put fixed stock and pistol grip, to at least get rid of the triangular attachment behind the grip. Which is cool, because I want to make it an FDE build. I think seems fine if I am understanding it all correctly?

Last edited by FlyingShooter; 04-26-2019 at 2:46 PM..
Old 04-29-2019, 4:44 AM
retired Goon

As others mentioned, CA assault weapons laws for shotguns is different than those for rifles.
What may be CA legal for rifles, may not be CA legal for shotguns and vice versa.

For semi-auto shotguns...
Not having a fixed magazine is a prohibited feature. [PC 30515(a)(7)]
Having a folding/collapsing stock and a pistol grip or vertical grip or thumbhole stock is a prohibited feature. [PC 30515(a)(6)]
Utilzing a revolving cylinder is a prohibited feature. [PC 30515(a)(8)]

Which means in order to remain CA legal, the semi-auto shotgun...
1. Can not operate using a revolving cylinder.
2. Must always utilize a fixed magazine.
3A. Can have a pistol grip and a fixed shoulder stock.
3B. Can have a pistol grip and a vertical grip.
3C. Can have a vertical grip and a thumbhole stock.
3D. Can have a folding/collapsing and no grips.

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-07-2019, 8:58 AM

Default RIA VR80CA

So I was one of the many that went down to Turners and put money down on a VR80. I have to admit I jumped on the train of all the hype but now am getting second thoughts. After talking to the guys at Turners none of them actually really new what the gun was all about. Same answers were returned when I called RIA themselves. I know in CA with a fixed magazine we have a few different ways to separate ways to swap out mags but theres no real clarification how the VR80CA!!!! will do it, or what the gun will or will not come with. Anyone have any ideas or have one yet?
Old 05-07-2019, 9:59 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSbmIuIL9w

The only thing CA about it is the fixed mag part

Old 05-07-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin44s View Post
So I was one of the many that went down to Turners and put money down on a VR80. I have to admit I jumped on the train of all the hype but now am getting second thoughts. After talking to the guys at Turners none of them actually really new what the gun was all about. Same answers were returned when I called RIA themselves. I know in CA with a fixed magazine we have a few different ways to separate ways to swap out mags but theres no real clarification how the VR80CA!!!! will do it, or what the gun will or will not come with. Anyone have any ideas or have one yet?
Did they not have one there for you to see & hold? My Socal Turners had 1 that was available to check out.

As mentioned only difference on the CA version is that it’s fixed magazine, via what ‘is’ or looks exactly like the Hogue Freedom fighter kit to me. Works just like any other fixed magazine AR out there, pull the rear takedown pin, hinge it open, change mag, close it up and shoot.

Thing I am curious about is if the takedown pins are the same dimensions as an ar15, as well at the tang on the upper receiver. Would be awesome if it would be possible to put a spring loaded rear pin in, like then Juggarnaut or Kingpin.

^^^
If you do decide to change the grip/stock, just make sure you put a pinned or fixed stock on it. Can’t be adjustable in CA on a semi-auto shotgun with pistol grip...

Last edited by FlyingShooter; 05-07-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Old 05-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Anybody shoot their’s yet?
Old 05-20-2019, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

https://www.turners.com/rock-island-...-12-gau-715647
Just ordered mine
Old 05-21-2019, 9:55 AM

Let me just say that I bought full price yesterday and today it went on sale DOH!! 150 bucks cheaper. So I called and they honored the sale price for me. I’ll be doing more business with them for sure , seems like a great set of folks!!
Old 05-21-2019, 12:05 PM

Nice!

Between a hectic work schedule & a stubborn cold I can’t seem to kick, I haven’t been able to take mine out for a shoot yet.

I’ve been tinkering with it though, and it’s a quirky gun for sure. I tried to put some M lok magpul rail covers on it, and the handguard is so thin and tight around the piston type gas system, they cause it to hang up. As far as I can tell you really can’t mount anything on the M Lok mounts due to this...kinda just there for show, which sucks.

It also has a commercial buffer tube, so that limits you on options for changing the stock. I was successfully able to get a mil-spec size buffer on it, but it took some serious dremmel work to get a backplate to work, as the one it comes with will not fit the mil-spec tube and the back end of the lower receiver is different from an AR.

I am also going to try and get a Juggernaut hellfighter rear pin to work(it’s AR10/.308 size dimensions btw) but haven’t had a chance yet, although I have my doubts it will work.

Trigger pull is Heavy with a capital H. I don’t have a gauge, but my guess is it’s in the 9-11lb range. I hear some aftermarket options are in the works.

Don’t quote me, but for those wondering if the mag lock system is removable should one move to a free state, it absolutely appears so with ease. I have yet to come across anything with loctite on this gun...
Old 05-22-2019, 8:26 AM

Wink

Quote:
Nice!

Don’t quote me, but for those wondering if the mag lock system is removable should one move to a free state, it absolutely appears so with ease. I have yet to come across anything with loctite on this gun...
My Utas XTR-12 came with a mag lock, it was a standard Mag release button with an aluminum L epoxied to it that touched the upper, once the upper and lower were separated by pulling the rear take down pin the mag would drop. I actually snipped off the L piece and ran without a mag lock lol but to take it to the range I put int he Ar-10 hellfigther kit. I was told by RIA that this is NOT standard dimensions of the AR platform for this VR80 so the Stocks and Ca compliant kits wouldn't work on it. We will see.... I should have it tomorrow to inspect
Old 05-22-2019, 8:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Thanks for all the dialogue. And so I assume even a Sparrow dynamics grip that’s angled back would be considered a pistol grip on it then?

I guess the only thing it sounds like you could do is put fixed stock and pistol grip, to at least get rid of the triangular attachment behind the grip. Which is cool, because I want to make it an FDE build. I think seems fine if I am understanding it all correctly?
No it is not. Our grip forces the web of your hand above the top of the exposed portion of the trigger. Here is some helpful info on that and understanding the CA DOJ definition. https://www.sparrowdynamics.com/CRG-...Info-s/108.htm
Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacMc View Post
My Utas XTR-12 came with a mag lock, it was a standard Mag release button with an aluminum L epoxied to it that touched the upper, once the upper and lower were separated by pulling the rear take down pin the mag would drop. I actually snipped off the L piece and ran without a mag lock lol but to take it to the range I put int he Ar-10 hellfigther kit. I was told by RIA that this is NOT standard dimensions of the AR platform for this VR80 so the Stocks and Ca compliant kits wouldn't work on it. We will see.... I should have it tomorrow to inspect
Interesting they told that, as I thought the premise of the platform was for it to be very customizable like any AR.

Like i said I have a Mil-Spec carbine buffer tube installed on mine now with a Magpul MOE stock that is pinned on 1 position. It just took some work to the back plate. Along with a Hogue beavertail grip. The Hogue w/beavertail fits with no gap btw, while the magpuls don’t...

The cool thing is even if the Juggernaut rear pin doesn’t work, it still doesn’t just swing wildly open like an ar15. It hinges up and stops after a bit by design.

I also saw a YouTube video out there of a guy that got a rifle length buffer tube on it also.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Interesting they told that, as I thought the premise of the platform was for it to be very customizable like any AR.

Like i said I have a Mil-Spec carbine buffer tube installed on mine now with a Magpul MOE stock that is pinned on 1 position. It just took some work to the back plate. Along with a Hogue beavertail grip. The Hogue w/beavertail fits with no gap btw, while the magpuls don’t...

The cool thing is even if the Juggernaut rear pin doesn’t work, it still doesn’t just swing wildly open like an ar15. It hinges up and stops after a bit by design.

I also saw a YouTube video out there of a guy that got a rifle length buffer tube on it also.
Yea totality , for the Hellfighter its not just the pin but the mag lock catch that needs to fit or the system wont work. When I called RIA they told me on the phone the dimensions of the stock and buffer weren't the same as the AR15. Snap some pics of yours Id like to see it.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Yea totality , for the Hellfighter its not just the pin but the mag lock catch that needs to fit or the system wont work. When I called RIA they told me on the phone the dimensions of the stock and buffer weren't the same as the AR15. Snap some pics of yours Id like to see it.
You won’t need the mag catch part of the hellfighter, just the rearpin as it is already factory mag locked when you buy it. It has a Hogue freedom fighter kit installed that was drilled down through the top of the bottom receiver to lock the mag, if you familiar with the Hogue kit.

I’m just not sure of the dimensions of the rear pin & receiver will work though. I have a spare AR10 Juggernaut pin laying around somewhere. Just have to find it & give it a try sometime.

But yes the Mag release & bolt catch are not standard AR parts, that is correct. Trigger pins are different too, which is a bummer.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You won’t need the mag catch part of the hellfighter, just the rearpin as it is already factory mag locked when you buy it. It has a Hogue freedom fighter kit installed that was drilled down through the top of the bottom receiver to lock the mag, if you familiar with the Hogue kit.

I’m just not sure of the dimensions of the rear pin & receiver will work though. I have a spare AR10 Juggernaut pin laying around somewhere. Just have to find it & give it a try sometime.

But yes the Mag release & bolt catch are not standard AR parts, that is correct. Trigger pins are different too, which is a bummer.
AHHHH sorry my bad I see what you are saying, Yea I have a juggernaut ar 15 with the Hogue installed, its really cool . Yea would be interesting to see if the standard pin fits. If it doesnt Jum at Juggernaut maybe able to custom one for us...
Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE
But yes the Mag release & bolt catch are not standard AR parts, that is correct. Trigger pins are different too, which is a bummer.[/QUOTE]
Too bad, a nice drop in saber trigger would be awesome.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
What about the safety? Is it non-standard as well? I'd want to put in a 45 or 60 degree throw safety instead.
Old 05-28-2019, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelligentGunner View Post
What about the safety? Is it non-standard as well? I'd want to put in a 45 or 60 degree throw safety instead.
To be honest, I haven’t messed with or looked into the safety yet. If I get some time, I’ll try to remember to check it out.

On a side note, the Juggernaut Hellfighter AR10 rear pin works. The pin is a little long though, so it doesn’t snap back closed real well & it leaves a little play in the pin. In reaching out to JT via email about trying to get a little shorter pin, they said they are currently working on a kit specific to the VR80. So once that is available, it should fix the issue. Good news....
Old 05-28-2019, 9:25 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I haven’t messed with or looked into the safety yet. If I get some time, I’ll try to remember to check it out.

On a side note, the Juggernaut Hellfighter AR10 rear pin works. The pin is a little long though, so it doesn’t snap back closed real well & it leaves a little play in the pin. In reaching out to JT via email about trying to get a little shorter pin, they said they are currently working on a kit specific to the VR80. So once that is available, it should fix the issue. Good news....
BOOM!! sick I cant wait
Old 06-01-2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:

Have you tried the bottom fed Ar15 hellfighter kit? That’s a shorter pin.
Old 06-02-2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Have you tried the bottom fed Ar15 hellfighter kit? That’s a shorter pin.
No just the rear fed AR10 pin. Let me know if you try the bottom fed AR10 pin...

AR15 pins won’t fit, their diameter is too small.
Old 06-05-2019, 8:41 AM

I picked mine up yesterday and took it right to the Range, 100 rounds of 1180 to 1500 FPS with Birdshot to Slug. Ran Flawless. this is an AMAZING weapon I love it. IT has a rubber stopper on the front lower that stops the Receivers from completely separating which is cool for the quick disconnect mag release. I will be putting on an AR stock and messing around with the trigger as well as the Hellfighter kit soon.
Old 06-06-2019, 9:44 PM

I have an UTAS XTR 12 and that shotgun is a hit or miss. Of course using AAA 1250 to 1300 FPS rounds it cycles fine but like to use low FPS or cheaper ammo. My local FFL got a VR80 in and been thinking about it 729.99 for it... maybe they can drop the price.

So looks like it cycles low fps rounds? Because I really want a AR style shotgun that works vs the UTAS XTR.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scjon03 View Post
I have an UTAS XTR 12 and that shotgun is a hit or miss. Of course using AAA 1250 to 1300 FPS rounds it cycles fine but like to use low FPS or cheaper ammo. My local FFL got a VR80 in and been thinking about it 729.99 for it... maybe they can drop the price.

So looks like it cycles low fps rounds? Because I really want a AR style shotgun that works vs the UTAS XTR.
So first off send your UTAS back to them , they have an updated gas block and bolt carrier . Now I run 1180fps bird shot no probs at all. Didn’t cost a dime other then shipping one way. They paid the shipping back .

VR80 yes I ran about 50 rounds of 1180fps through and it did fine , only one stovepipe and I think that was a bad round. Ran 1200 buckshot was great. And 1500 FPS slugs. Rocked. This is an amazing firearm. Half as much as my Utas and way more reliable ...
Old 06-07-2019, 6:33 AM

I did send it back to them, 3 times. Still hit or miss. Going to use the lower for a 308 build and possibly get the VR80.
Old 06-07-2019, 6:35 AM

Quote:
I did send it back to them, 3 times. Still hit or miss. Going to use the lower for a 308 build and possibly get the VR80.
Damn sorry man. Mine kicks *** now. Weak. The VR80 rocks sooooo have at it
I got mine on sale at Turner’s outdoors for 649.
Old 06-07-2019, 8:00 AM

Quote:

See if they can match Turner’s sale price of $649.99. I finally got my VR80 out yesterday and the lowest I ran through it was 1200fps. Had a couple stovepipes the first mag or 2, but I attribute that to break in. After that it ran about 75 rounds flawless. Got bolt hold open on the last round every time out of it. I have no doubts it would run a lower fps ammo.