Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 10-09-2010, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrimguru View Post
pics of my M&P 9 after 1500 rounds of brown bear in 3 days.

Damn.... That M&P9 is calling my name.. argggg... Have to resist. Bought two guns this month alreadyy... But $539 for a brand new MP9 with three mags and night sights.. argggg.
Old 10-09-2010, 9:00 PM
Calguns Addict

I have more pics in the review here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
Old 11-01-2010, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

A few new pictures of the M&P9. This time with the painted engravings and some grip tape. Sights were also painted.

Last edited by iareConfusE; 11-01-2010 at 8:06 PM..
Old 11-02-2010, 1:56 PM

Wow that looks really nice, much better than the "crayon" filled ones I've seen. How'd you paint it and then have no over spill? Did you just paint it and spill over and then use rubbing alcohol to clean up the spots? Any tips would be appreciated, I'm contemplating doing something like that. What kind of paint is it in the lettering and on the front sight?
Old 11-02-2010, 1:59 PM

I'll add to the collection...

Old 11-02-2010, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
Wow that looks really nice, much better than the "crayon" filled ones I've seen. How'd you paint it and then have no over spill? Did you just paint it and spill over and then use rubbing alcohol to clean up the spots? Any tips would be appreciated, I'm contemplating doing something like that. What kind of paint is it in the lettering and on the front sight?
I just painted over all of it and cleaned up with some nail polish remover. It takes a long time but it's worth it, as you can see. Lots of Q-tips, and patience is required to do it. If you overdo the nail polish remover while cleaning up, you'll end up taking too much paint out of the engraving, and you'll have to either start all over or touch it up. Took me a total of about 3 hours for both sides of the slide.

I used just regular nail polish for the lettering, and for the sights I went to Michaels and bought some acrylic glow in the dark paint. The front sight is neon orange and the rear sights are neon green.
Old 11-02-2010, 8:06 PM

Would you be willing to snap a picture from the shooter's perspective of what the rear/front sight look like?
Old 11-02-2010, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Would you be willing to snap a picture from the shooter's perspective of what the rear/front sight look like?
Ok. Got a few pictures here. Some with, and some without flash. I have really bad lighting in my room. Only one small desk lamp.

Old 11-02-2010, 8:15 PM

Awesome, thanks man. I'm repainting my front sight since it chipped and might do something like that as well while I'm at it.
Old 11-02-2010, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Awesome, thanks man. I'm repainting my front sight since it chipped and might do something like that as well while I'm at it.
Yep, same thing happened to my M&P. I think it's fairly common that the white paint S&W uses for their sights just pop out easily. After my right side rear dot fell out, I scraped the left side out and repainted with white nail polish. And then the acrylic glow in the dark paint over that. The paints work better with a white background than on black.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Heres my baby and a little action vid. MP 45
Old 11-03-2010, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Yep, same thing happened to my M&P. I think it's fairly common that the white paint S&W uses for their sights just pop out easily. After my right side rear dot fell out, I scraped the left side out and repainted with white nail polish. And then the acrylic glow in the dark paint over that. The paints work better with a white background than on black.
How well does it glow in the dark? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusmax51 View Post
Heres my baby and a little action vid. MP 45
Nice video. Keep them coming. I'm liking that M&P 45.
Old 11-03-2010, 7:34 PM

Blasting with my M&P9

Get the Plinkr iOS App
Find any Gun Store/FFL
Find any Range in the USA.
Find firearms training too!
Curated Industry News
Gun Store Gunbroker, Armslist, gun.deals, Weapon Depot
Social Media Aggregator
Old 11-08-2010, 7:24 AM

IMG_0106 (Small).jpg
Just picked up a pair of M&P9s the other week. After putting over 7k rounds thru my XD in various training classes and environments, I've learned some limitations of the platform and started to look for other systems.

While I will still carry my XD9 for a bit longer (since I'm aware of and can work around its limitations),the M&P9 compact will become my daily carry. I want to put at least 600 rounds thru her in various environments till I trust her. I had a local machine shop mill slide serrations to facilitate handling and the rear milled to accommodate a Trijicon RMR. The same shop also modified the trigger group to reduce pull, shorten the reset and make the reset more positive. With a wood burning kit I stippled my contact points on the grip and I removed some material below the trigger guard for fit.

The last modification I will make to the gun will be to have it milled to accept suppressor sights as a BUIS. With an MRD it takes a while to break the habit of lining up sights. I'll have the sights installed once I'm proficient drawing with the dot.

The full size M&P also received the serrations, trigger job and was milled for a J-point MRD. This gun is my secondary weapon for when I'm carrying a long gun, so the durability requirements were not as strong. Also, the jpoint has a notch in the rear that serves as a rough BUIS for those really bad days. Did the same stipple and material removal on the grip.

For folks interested in the serrations on the slide side/top or for melting in an MRD, I strongly recommend American Tool & Manufacturing in Taylor, MI. Give me a holler if you need a POC there. Turnaround is much quicker and cheaper than other places that do this work. They are CA friendly as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooster View Post
Attachment 74637
Just picked up a pair of M&P9s the other week. After putting over 7k rounds thru my XD in various training classes and environments, I've learned some limitations of the platform and started to look for other systems.

While I will still carry my XD9 for a bit longer (since I'm aware of and can work around its limitations),the M&P9 compact will become my daily carry. I want to put at least 600 rounds thru her in various environments till I trust her. I had a local machine shop mill slide serrations to facilitate handling and the rear milled to accommodate a Trijicon RMR. The same shop also modified the trigger group to reduce pull, shorten the reset and make the reset more positive. With a wood burning kit I stippled my contact points on the grip and I removed some material below the trigger guard for fit.

The last modification I will make to the gun will be to have it milled to accept suppressor sights as a BUIS. With an MRD it takes a while to break the habit of lining up sights. I'll have the sights installed once I'm proficient drawing with the dot.

The full size M&P also received the serrations, trigger job and was milled for a J-point MRD. This gun is my secondary weapon for when I'm carrying a long gun, so the durability requirements were not as strong. Also, the jpoint has a notch in the rear that serves as a rough BUIS for those really bad days. Did the same stipple and material removal on the grip.

For folks interested in the serrations on the slide side/top or for melting in an MRD, I strongly recommend American Tool & Manufacturing in Taylor, MI. Give me a holler if you need a POC there. Turnaround is much quicker and cheaper than other places that do this work. They are CA friendly as well.
Those look pretty sweet. Do you carry them with the reflex sights on as well though? Seems like it might add a bit of bulk to carrying it daily.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Those look pretty sweet. Do you carry them with the reflex sights on as well though? Seems like it might add a bit of bulk to carrying it daily.
The optics will stay on permanently. Milling the slide to accept the MRDs removes the rear sight mounting points completely. This is the price to pay if you want to minimize the height over bore. Some brands make a platform/adapter that will allow you to mount the MRD without permanent mods to the slide. The height, however, makes them feel awkward to me.

The j-point is the lowest profile MRD on the market. I'm in the process of cutting up my Safariland holster so that it will fit.

The RMR doesn't seem to add much bulk to the overall profile. While my Raven holster has not arrived, it seems to fit well on the other folks I know that have similar configurations.
Old 11-10-2010, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Old 11-13-2010, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I think I'll match you

Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Banned

I got to say some nice pistols.
Old 11-17-2010, 4:41 PM

Quote:
I think I'll match you

That stippling!! I think that is up next for my M&P. Nice!!
REDACTED
Old 11-17-2010, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2010, 8:58 PM

Just ordered my M&P last night over the 1911
Sold the XD so I need a 9mm replacement to shoot while I save up.
Your gun is awesome, by the way! It's pretty much how I'm going to set up mine.
I'm going to strip the black coating off the barrel, SS Guiderod + 15lb ISMI, 10-8 rear + F/O front.

Quote:
I think I'll match you

Last edited by anto; 11-18-2010 at 11:39 PM..
Old 11-19-2010, 4:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Just ordered my M&P last night over the 1911
Sold the XD so I need a 9mm replacement to shoot while I save up.
Your gun is awesome, by the way! It's pretty much how I'm going to set up mine.
I'm going to strip the black coating off the barrel, SS Guiderod + 15lb ISMI, 10-8 rear + F/O front.

But don't forget the most important part, Apex Tactical's DCAEK, RAM and Extractor
Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM

I was actually planning on waiting for the forward sitting sear / revised trigger bar to come out (I have long fingers). Definitely planning on getting the RAM & working the stock trigger some though. Is the extractor necessary on all revisions of the pistol? I thought S&W fixed the later released pistols.

Quote:
But don't forget the most important part, Apex Tactical's DCAEK, RAM and Extractor
Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
I was actually planning on waiting for the forward sitting sear / revised trigger bar to come out (I have long fingers). Definitely planning on getting the RAM & working the stock trigger some though. Is the extractor necessary on all revisions of the pistol? I thought S&W fixed the later released pistols.

Probably not, but this thing will probably outlive the rest of the gun

Old 11-21-2010, 2:14 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot View Post
Mine with an idiot light, LaserMax Guide Rod Laser. Helps me acquire the targets I missed 3x times faster, LOL... Other than that, stock .40S&W.
Have you had a chance to put many rounds through it? How is the LaserMax holding up?
Old 11-21-2010, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohgyrr View Post
Have you had a chance to put many rounds through it? How is the LaserMax holding up?

For the M&P, I'd go with the Crimson Trace Grips myself
Old 11-21-2010, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

I went through 4 pages and haven't seen one M&P with Dark Earth color frame yet... I guess that will be my next gun then.
Old 11-21-2010, 3:28 PM

Talking

Quote:
For the M&P, I'd go with the Crimson Trace Grips myself
Yeah, except I really like your grip, a lot & don't think I would want to change it. You have a sweet M&P. I have a lot invested in the Glock 40, but hmmm.

I dunno, has me thinking.....
Old 11-21-2010, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohgyrr View Post
Yeah, except I really like your grip, a lot & don't think I would want to change it. You have a sweet M&P. I have a lot invested in the Glock 40, but hmmm.

I dunno, has me thinking.....

Too bad you didn't get a chance to shoot it yesterday, it would make your decision easier
Old 11-21-2010, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

Some old-school M&Ps from mid-40s/early-50s:

Old 11-21-2010, 9:11 PM

Quote:

This. I want to get some night sights also, but can't seem to find a well-known/recommended gunsmith in the Napa area for the Apex parts/night sights... Though I was recommended Russell at Center Mass in Vacaville where I shoot.
REDACTED
Old 11-23-2010, 3:20 PM

Default M&P .40

Just got her out today! Add me to the Fam...

Old 12-12-2010, 3:49 AM

Old 12-20-2010, 4:36 PM

Old 12-24-2010, 1:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Talking TactiColor...

Haha... figured there was an M&P picture thread somewhere... I guess I can play too... haven't done anything else to it yet, but while I had the grease pencils out the other night...

We'll see if grease pencil can stand up to the rigors of a class setting though. Handgun class in Feb, rimfire carbine class maybe in Apr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20101224_063027_p6k_DSCN4617_web.jpg (41.5 KB, 1423 views)
File Type: jpg 20101223_134724_p6k_DSCN4585_web.jpg (92.7 KB, 1439 views)
File Type: jpg 20101224_062930_p6k_DSCN4614_web.jpg (72.4 KB, 1428 views)
File Type: jpg 20101224_063926_p6k_DSCN4639_web.jpg (87.7 KB, 1425 views)

Last edited by scootle; 12-24-2010 at 2:00 PM.. Reason: fixed links
Old 12-24-2010, 2:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up Nice NP3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
Here are my 3, all sent to Robar for their NP3 electroless nickle finish.
Man, I do love the way the two-tone M&P looks... I might have to touch base with Robar at some point...
Old 01-01-2011, 11:40 PM

Old 01-02-2011, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just when you look at the amount you're paying for the tiny objects you're getting. I know all that you mentioned costs a lot of money, but I can't help but feel like a couple tiny pieces of metal, regardless of how intricate or how much design hours went into them cost too much in the end. I'm just looking at this in terms of actual size of the object vs how much money they cost. I know you can't realistically look at products that way, but stuff this small just makes it difficult not to.

When you reach that age in life when certain body parts don't function quite as well as they used to will you also complain that the blue pill you paid $3 for only cost 3 cents to make?