Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Default Cow Mountain BLM Shooting Restrictions

FYI - wasted a trip up to Cow Mountain this morning to find that Shooting Restrictions are in effect due to High Fire Danger. Currently, shooting is only allowed at the Range from one hour after Sunrise to 12 Noon. BLM person I talked to said the restrictions will be in effect indefinitely and a complete closure could happen if fire danger becomes critical.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 AM

That sucks, i dont go there often because i shoot locally in Sonoma county but enjoy Cow Mountain for the longer range.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
FYI - wasted a trip up to Cow Mountain this morning to find that Shooting Restrictions are in effect due to High Fire Danger. Currently, shooting is only allowed at the Range from one hour after Sunrise to 12 Noon. BLM person I talked to said the restrictions will be in effect indefinitely and a complete closure could happen if fire danger becomes critical.
Is it generally empty? Or are you likely to always find someone up there in the morning?
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 07-05-2018, 11:47 AM

If you go during the week and get there by 8-9am, usually there won't be anyone there. When it's going to be hot, going early/leaving by noon is the smart move.
Old 07-05-2018, 2:38 PM

Hmm I have been thinking about going brass hunting up there but not shooting, is the place still littered with brass?
Old 07-05-2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socom2shooter View Post
Hmm I have been thinking about going brass hunting up there but not shooting, is the place still littered with brass?
It's hit/miss on scrounging brass. I have scored a few times but there are locals who hit it up regularly. With the restrictions due to fire danger, I would think your best bet would be to get there around noon on a Saturday or Sunday but again it's going to be hit/miss.
Old 07-05-2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Damn. Thanks for posting, you just saved me a trip.
Old 07-05-2018, 7:02 PM

Sunrise at 553am, so, 7am gotime hotrange, 5hrs7min of trigger time, could be worse.
Old 07-06-2018, 7:02 AM

Had similar restrictions last year at Tumey Hills. By noon, it was hot enough to want to leave anyway. Sunrise is early enough though, so I just make a morning out of it. Up to 6 hours is a long time to shoot. We shoot until noon and then clean up after when there are time restrictions.

Need to watch to the other restrictions too. Target types, bullet types, etc.

What sucks is that they close the area to motorized vehicles from Apr to Oct every year, so there are fewer places to shoot unless you want to hump your gear in after dealing with the barbed wire fence everywhere or skinny man gates in a couple spots.
Old 07-06-2018, 8:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lucky dogs. We got one month of BLM shooting in this year down south. We got March. Next year we may get nothing.
Old 07-17-2018, 1:46 PM

I was there this morning with my son..... Please keep it clean.....Shovel / garbage bags/ fire extinguisher/ and water is a must... it's fair clean after the last clean up.
Enjoy !! FYI the only designated place to shoot is the rifle range... deputies are patrolling the area on dirt bikes. Please don't get arrested. Clean your mess and obey the rules.
Old 07-29-2018, 9:25 PM

Just checked and BLM has closed the Cow Mountain Shooting Range down due to the fires burning in the immediate area and because of the current extreme fire danger. They state it's a temporary closure but I wouldn't be surprised if it stays closed the next couple of months or until temperatures decrease or the area receives substantial rainfall.

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/art...NEWS/180729887
Old 07-30-2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Just checked and BLM has closed the Cow Mountain Shooting Range down due to the fires burning in the immediate area and because of the current extreme fire danger. They state it's a temporary closure but I wouldn't be surprised if it stays closed the next couple of months or until temperatures decrease or the area receives substantial rainfall.

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/art...NEWS/180729887
9/10 it'll stay closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COW.jpg (51.4 KB, 22 views)