Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-18-2013, 7:38 AM

Post Are LAR-15 A4 Pistols (7 and/or 10.5 inch barrel) Legal in CA?

I do not own one of these, but am wondering if these are Legal in California, and if they are legal to own in California, are they sold anywhere? I know River Rock Arms makes these, and they have dealers in California, but cannot find any on various websites. I saw something about needing a "bullet button" to make it legal, but I would not see why, since this would not be considered a rifle, but a handgun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15pistol13.jpg (21.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-18-2013, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Welcome to the forums. The only way to get one of these would to do a Single Shot exemption as it's not on the Roster. The handgun assault weapon flowchart link above the forum index will show you why you need a bullet button: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 01-18-2013, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB74 View Post
I do not own one of these, but am wondering if these are Legal in California, and if they are legal to own in California, are they sold anywhere? I know River Rock Arms makes these, and they have dealers in California, but cannot find any on various websites. I saw something about needing a "bullet button" to make it legal, but I would not see why, since this would not be considered a rifle, but a handgun.
There are handguns that are "Assualt Weapons" as well.
This would be such a handgun without a magazine lock.

redcliff is right they will not be on the Roster, while this does not make them illegal they would have to be bought PPT or SSE.

Please consult the flow chart that he posted.

Here is the actual law:
Quote:
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
[...]
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
Note A (which could be avoided) but especially D that it has a detachable magazine outside the pistol grip. There for it must have a fixed magazine so it can have the "features" above. Note also that a fixed magazine firearm must only hold up to 10 rounds.

Welcome to CALGUNS!

Last edited by Chaos47; 01-18-2013 at 8:37 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for catching my omission on the PPT aspect of ownership Chaos47, sometimes I don't go into enough detail and sometimes I go into too much

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Default Thanks

Appreciate the quick feedback and information, it was helpful.
Old 01-18-2013, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Thanks for catching my omission on the PPT aspect of ownership Chaos47, sometimes I don't go into enough detail and sometimes I go into too much
Haha, No problem, wasn't trying to correct you just add another bit, your info was good!

I always go into too much detail, haha

Glad we could be of help JB74, stick around CALGUNS is a great place!