Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:25 AM

This was my first competition and this event was definitely the best choice to get into it. Will definitely come come back for the next one!

Thank you to everyone that made this event possible.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox032 View Post
This was my first competition and this event was definitely the best choice to get into it. Will definitely come come back for the next one!

Thank you to everyone that made this event possible.
Same here! Wish I could have stayed longer or go back today.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Sorry, guys, I wasn't able to make it out today. I will see you at the next one!
Old 11-19-2017, 5:39 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Let me start by saying it was pretty well run today (sunday). This was my first glock shoot at burro. I went to all of the shoots at rahaugees from 2009 until the end.
If this event continues at burro they need to give more bays to the event. I waited 2 hours and 45 minutes to shoot the 5 to glock i checked in at noon and shot at 245. Then i had already signed up for glock em and shot in about 15 min. The wait was the same for both stages. There needs to be more bays to get shooters through. A 6 stage 3 gun match moves quicker between stages.
The volunteers did the best they could. Also with 500 shooters they need to limit the amount of guns you can shoot in a row. If you are signed up for 7 huns and they split you up just so the guy behind you with 4 guns can shoot then you shoot again it makes no sense.
It really shouldnt take 4 and ahalf hours to shoot 81 rounds.
Im happy it is still in california but i hope there are improvements.
Im not saying anyone who organized this beast did a bad job, jacob works his *** off for cgssa, but i would like to see burro support the event more.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 11-19-2017, 7:42 PM

Wow, what a weekend!

Thanks to the Young Marines for their incredible help on Saturday.

Thanks to Chad and Jacob for keeping this running.

Thanks to Glock and the sponsors (like Turners and Taran Tactical).
Old 11-19-2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
Let me start by saying it was pretty well run today (sunday). This was my first glock shoot at burro. I went to all of the shoots at rahaugees from 2009 until the end.
If this event continues at burro they need to give more bays to the event. I waited 2 hours and 45 minutes to shoot the 5 to glock i checked in at noon and shot at 245. Then i had already signed up for glock em and shot in about 15 min. The wait was the same for both stages. There needs to be more bays to get shooters through. A 6 stage 3 gun match moves quicker between stages.
The volunteers did the best they could. Also with 500 shooters they need to limit the amount of guns you can shoot in a row. If you are signed up for 7 huns and they split you up just so the guy behind you with 4 guns can shoot then you shoot again it makes no sense.
It really shouldnt take 4 and ahalf hours to shoot 81 rounds.
Im happy it is still in california but i hope there are improvements.
Im not saying anyone who organized this beast did a bad job, jacob works his *** off for cgssa, but i would like to see burro support the event more.

This was my first GSSF / Glock match ( I only own one Glock, a G19) and my thoughts as follows:

- LOTS of new shooters not familiar with the format / etiquette / safety considerations of match shooting with many lacking the training and experience for shooting from a draw, executing combat reloads and having to shoot from a stationary position means things WILL take longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
Also with 500 shooters they need to limit the amount of guns you can shoot in a row. If you are signed up for 7 huns and they split you up just so the guy behind you with 4 guns can shoot then you shoot again it makes no sense.
- I totally agree. Too many people shooting "multiple guns" was a primary reason for the "wait". I saw "packs" of shooters, all friends, each shooting 4, 5, 6 guns or more, dominating the stage and tying up the event. How many guns did you shoot? I shot ONE gun. I think they need to limit the number of guns you can shoot in a row at a shooting position / stage or establish one shooting position in each stage that gives priority to shooting just one or two guns for the entire match.

- Shooting multiple strings in a stage slows down shooters moving thru ANY stage in ANY match usually becoming a match choke point... and EVERY STAGE in this match had at least three separate timed strings. This is a design problem that is based in the target market of the match.. beginning shooters without sufficient training and experience to shoot from the draw and execute combat / tactical reloads in a continuous flow. I doubt this "focus on beginners" will change and as long as the match is designed to get that lowest common denominator of shooter thru safety .. I don't think its fair to compare it to established club type matches that can exclude inexperienced shooters / require a minimum skill set or may have only a few who are divided up among many squads so they can be shepherded thru a match by a squad of experienced shooters.

- I think if you compare their performance running 500 people thru three stages of fire versus n typical IDPA / USPSA match running 80 - 130 people thru 6 stages of fire.. they did quite well time wise, especially keeping in mind all the "shooting position" hogs with excessive multiple guns.

- In my opinion they moved everyone thru pretty efficiently and SAFELY... BIG THANK YOU to the staff / volunteers!!!. The staff/ RSO's were polite, efficient and ran safe ranges. For what it is or is not worth, I have the perspective of been organizing and RSO'ing for over 25 years in a variety of events; action pistol / 3 gun / IDPA / SWAT challenges / Police Olympics and the Charlton Heston Celebrity shoot.

- I am SURE your time and effort as a volunteer would be appreciated to help "move things along" since more bays require more set up, take down and staffing!!! . I think the real problem is the mutigun format... what are YOUR suggestions? Maybe this match just isn't for you if it's too long for you an

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 11-19-2017 at 8:57 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 8:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Accuweather is saying slight chance in the morning then parly cloudy and mid 70's all weekend. Sounds PERFECT!

Scott
It was as if the shooting and weather gods were smiling upon us volunteers all weekend! I only hit patches of rain on the drive in on Friday, then the sun came out shortly after arriving at Burro Canyon Friday AM. Saturday and today (Sunday) were just gorgeous fall weather days!

I met some great new volunteers, and got to say hi to many I remembered/worked with on the multi-entry bay from last Spring! We have some very special people willing to bust butt and get things done!
I COMMEND YOU ALL!

A special shout-out to both Jacob and Chad --- for all their hard work they both put in, and for making this shoot the PREMIER GSSF west coast event it has become! As Scott from Glock said, we again increased our shooter #s over last Spring.

Another HUGE kudo to all our Young Marine volunteers on Saturday! Those young gentlemen and ladies busted tail all day, and every other word they uttered was "Sir"! I'm glad one of them won the raffle gun/money! ... I'm equally glad the future of America is in good hands with young men and women like them!

On a personal note... I am proud to have worked this event! Great volunteers, excellent all around shooters and people, fantastic weather, great BBQ, and generous raffle and prizes. As RO volunteers, we all hope for a "free" gun, I didn't win a raffled RO gun (Lucky Phillip - x2 now!).

...Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm?

Looking forward to seeing you all next Spring!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 11-19-2017 at 8:20 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 8:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
This was my first GSSF / Glock match ( I only own one Glock, a G19) and my thoughts as follows:

- LOTS of new shooters not familiar with the format / etiquette / safety considerations of match shooting with many lacking the training and experience for shooting from a draw, executing combat reloads and having to shoot from a stationary position means things WILL take longer.

- I totally agree. Too many people shooting "multiple guns" was a primary reason for the "wait". I saw "packs" of shooters, all friends, each shooting 4, 5, 6 guns or more, dominating the stage and tying up the event. How many guns did you shoot? I shot ONE gun. I think they need to limit the number of guns you can shoot in a row at a shooting position / stage or establish one shooting position in each stage that gives priority to shooting just one or two guns for the entire match.

- Shooting multiple strings in a stage slows down shooters moving thru ANY stage in ANY match usually becoming a match choke point... and EVERY STAGE in this match had at least three separate timed strings. This is a design problem that is based in the target market of the match.. beginning shooters without sufficient training and experience to shoot from the draw and execute combat / tactical reloads in a continuous flow. I doubt this "focus on beginners" will change and as long as the match is designed to get that lowest common denominator of shooter thru safety .. I don't think its fair to compare it to established club type matches that can exclude experienced shooters or may have only a few who are devided up amoung many squads so they can be shepherded thru a match by a quad of experienced shooters.

- I think if you compare their performance running 500 people thru three stages of fire versus n typical IDPA / USPSA match running 80 - 130 people thru 6 stages of fire.. they did quite well time wise, especially keeping in mind all the "shooting position" hogs with excessive multiple guns.

- In my opinion they moved everyone thru pretty efficiently and SAFELY... BIG THANK YOU to the staff / volunteers!!!. The staff/ RSO's were polite, efficient and ran safe ranges. For what it is or is not worth, I have the perspective of been organizing and RSO'ing for over 25 years in a variety of events; action pistol / 3 gun / IDPA / SWAT challenges / Police Olympics and the Charlton Heston Celebrity shoot.

- I am SURE your time and effort as a volunteer would be appreciated to help "move things along" since more bays require more set up, take down and staffing!!! . I think the real problem is the mutigun format... what are YOUR suggestions? Maybe this match just isn't for you if it's too long for you an
This (3 strings each for "Glock M" and "5 to Glock", and 4 stings on "Shoot the Plates") is the standard GSSF format and has been for many years. Even the GSSF website says you should come willing to spend an entire day. Additionally, shooters at GSSF events are squadded (put on the tree) according to their sign in times. so your best bet after registration is to go sign in at all three courses of fire, then go back and "check-in" for squadding at the COF you wish to start with. You will (should) be given that "sign-in time" preference at the remaining COF as you check-in for squadding. I hope that helps in the future!

There was a special "multi-entry" bay at the top for shooters with a large amount of guns or classes to shoot. Depending on the # of classes/guns being shot, those shooters should have been directed to that multi-entry bay. I'm sorry if they were not!

As a volunteer, please understand that this is a new and rapidly growing event. Each time it has been run at Azusa/Burro Canyon, it has increased in the total number of shooters from the previous one! Most entries tend to be "day of event" entries, so in my opinion that makes anticipating the numbers difficult. As a crew of volunteers, we are also learning and getting better and more efficient with each event! Please bear with us through these "growing pains".

If you really want to see this event succeed/speed up, come out and volunteer in the Spring and help us make it an even better event! You might even win a free Glock for volunteering!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 11-20-2017, 7:59 AM

Good morning to all...

Was planning on coming on Saturday, but then, got a last minute call from the office. Hence, came on Sunday around 9:04am and was out by 11:12am. If it had taken longer than 11:30am, I may have bailed out or I'd face the wrath of my wife for missing my youngest's birthday party. Hahaha!!!

... It would have been out earlier if I were open to doing "Glock the Plates" second rather than last (I usually do M ---> 5 ---> Plates). And of course, some shooters that came totally UNPREPARED! In my bay there was this guy with all the gear (chair, carry optics, heavy duty case you find for transporting cameras, etc.) and he FORGOT to LOAD his magazines when he ran out mid-COF. This necessiated a reshoot.

Anyways, still working on mixing up the footages, but at the least, I think I have progressed compared to the Spring match last April. Yipeee...!!!

Most of all - thanks and kudos to all the staff and volunteers that makes the GSSF match here in SoCal one of my favorites! I finally get to meet @RoundEye... and missed @baranski by one-bay. *LOL*

And the increasing number of shooters just say that the sport/match is GROWING! Definitely good for all of us!

Looking forward to the 2018 Spring match!!!

Cheers!!

_
Old 11-20-2017, 9:10 AM

I notice they don't use practiscore... how long for the results to get posted and where?
Old 11-20-2017, 9:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default GSSF and CGSSA Presents: GLOCK West Coast Challenge II - Fall

Quote:
I notice they don't use practiscore... how long for the results to get posted and where?

Should be able to locate it with the link below when posted. Their new competitor brief quoted within 3 days of match concluding for most cases.

http://gssfonline.com/match-info.cfm?results=1

Marketplace:

None
Old 11-20-2017, 9:29 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
Prelims should be up today or tomorrow. I think they might be traveling today. Unfortunately the GSSF website is down right now so I can't check it. Finals with prize allocations will be in about 4 weeks. This is to allow people to check scores and make corrections if needed.
Old 11-20-2017, 9:54 AM

Now, OC, about your other questions. Like Darryl noted this match is still growing and we were suffering from a shortage of volunteers this weekend as well. We also had the unusual circumstance of more entries on Sunday than we had on Saturday. I know the multi bay was down at least part of the day on Saturday as well as not all plate racks running due to staffing shortages. We sure could have used your help if you weren't already there! Sunday had more staff but also more shooters. I do agree this match is reaching a threshold where another 5 to Glock and M stage would help.

Now, as far as the multi entries are concerned, what difference does it make if there is 1 guy shooting 4 guns or 4 guys shooting 1 gun make? Believe it or not the guy shooting multiple guns can run 4 guns fast than running 4 individual shooters taking into account the switching shooters and having them have to setup their gear every time. If a shooter is at the table with all of their mags ready to go (which most are, I know I come with mags loaded for the entire match plus a couple spares for reshoots etc) they are going to run much faster than walking people back and forth. I know I ran 7 guns on the multi bay in about 15-20 minutes I think and much of that was waiting on the other shooter to finish up. Another thing to bear in mind is that most of the multigun guys are Masters or fast Amateurs so they shoot fast and finish sooner that most of the people only shooting 1 or 2 guns. And lastly, these guys paid their money just like everyone else so they are entitled to shoot their entries just like you and everyone else. BTW, if we had to run 500 individual shooters through it would probably have taken another 2-3 hours.

I was running the sign in on Glock M and nobody showed up there with more than 4 guns and and I think there were only 2 of those. Yes, there was a group that was there all at the same time, I think 5 or 6 of them all shooting 2-4 guns and they ran through very quickly. I know from experience what it is like having to wait, I think this was my 30th GSSF match and like 8 or 9 as an RO so I see both sides. As long as everyone follows the sign in process it usually runs pretty smoothly.

Oh yeah, the last issue with getting done quickly, everyone waiting should be pasting. It makes a HUGE difference. If the Timer or Scorekeeper are pasting targets it slows the process as well. If you are waiting and not the on deck shooter you should be pasting targets.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I hope everyone had a great time like I did even though I shot for crap! LOL! Hopefully we will see even more entries and keep this match growing. I am sure the GSSF and CGSSA people will be evaluating how this one ran and make any needed adjustments.

Scott
Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Now, OC, about your other questions. Like Darryl noted this match is still growing and we were suffering from a shortage of volunteers this weekend as well. We also had the unusual circumstance of more entries on Sunday than we had on Saturday. I know the multi bay was down at least part of the day on Saturday as well as not all plate racks running due to staffing shortages. We sure could have used your help if you weren't already there! Sunday had more staff but also more shooters. I do agree this match is reaching a threshold where another 5 to Glock and M stage would help.

Now, as far as the multi entries are concerned, what difference does it make if there is 1 guy shooting 4 guns or 4 guys shooting 1 gun make? Believe it or not the guy shooting multiple guns can run 4 guns fast than running 4 individual shooters taking into account the switching shooters and having them have to setup their gear every time. If a shooter is at the table with all of their mags ready to go (which most are, I know I come with mags loaded for the entire match plus a couple spares for reshoots etc) they are going to run much faster than walking people back and forth. I know I ran 7 guns on the multi bay in about 15-20 minutes I think and much of that was waiting on the other shooter to finish up. Another thing to bear in mind is that most of the multigun guys are Masters or fast Amateurs so they shoot fast and finish sooner that most of the people only shooting 1 or 2 guns. And lastly, these guys paid their money just like everyone else so they are entitled to shoot their entries just like you and everyone else. BTW, if we had to run 500 individual shooters through it would probably have taken another 2-3 hours.

I was running the sign in on Glock M and nobody showed up there with more than 4 guns and and I think there were only 2 of those. Yes, there was a group that was there all at the same time, I think 5 or 6 of them all shooting 2-4 guns and they ran through very quickly. I know from experience what it is like having to wait, I think this was my 30th GSSF match and like 8 or 9 as an RO so I see both sides. As long as everyone follows the sign in process it usually runs pretty smoothly.

Oh yeah, the last issue with getting done quickly, everyone waiting should be pasting. It makes a HUGE difference. If the Timer or Scorekeeper are pasting targets it slows the process as well. If you are waiting and not the on deck shooter you should be pasting targets.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I hope everyone had a great time like I did even though I shot for crap! LOL! Hopefully we will see even more entries and keep this match growing. I am sure the GSSF and CGSSA people will be evaluating how this one ran and make any needed adjustments.

Scott
- First let me say THANK YOU again to the volunteers who made the event possible. I personally enjoyed the match and did not have a problem with the wait times... I was in the military and I shoot a lot of matches so I am very acclimated to the "hurry up and wait" syndrome. I had a chance to meet and talk with a lot of people I had not met before as many of the competitors are not the usual suspects in the IDPA/ USPSA circuit in So Calf. The gun talk was a little boring as its was mostly all Glock all the time. I only own a G19... Im a SiG and HK guy personally. If only I could have used my HK VP9........

My commentary above on the "wait" was a response to the complaint by Don the Savage in this thread.

As this match grows.. I strongly would suggest that they
- go to practiscore bringing scoring and the posting of results into the 21st century and up to industry standard.
- Require signup and payment via practiscore on line in advance. This reduces check in time considerably, makes the economics of the match predictable and lets the event sponsor plan more accurately for staffing and facilities. It can also allow you to put a limit on the number of participants in a day

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 11-20-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
- First let me say THANK YOU

You're very welcome, thanks for attending!

If only I could have used my HK VP9........

It's not the arrow.

Scoring used to take weeks (sometimes over a month), I agree practiscore and tablet would greatly speed it up, although I do kind of enjoy the nostalgia of written time slips and having the shooter initial their score sheet.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Scoring used to take weeks (sometimes over a month), I agree practiscore and tablet would greatly speed it up, although I do kind of enjoy the nostalgia of written time slips and having the shooter initial their score sheet.
It's not the arrow? Gun = bow, bullets = arrow if that was the analogy you were trying for...and YES the Gun or the bow make a lot of difference in the successful launch of the bullet or the arrow.

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 11-20-2017 at 12:05 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 AM

http://gssfonline.com/match-info.cfm?results=1
Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Voted Most Ready CGN'er
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

All feedback is good feedback, IMO. Especially constructive criticism. Don't be too quick to poo poo people who speak up about less than perfect experiences, a lot can be learned when you keep an open mind.

Love the feedback DonTS and OCeques.

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac
Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
All feedback is good feedback, IMO. Especially constructive criticism. Don't be too quick to poo poo people who speak up about less than perfect experiences, a lot can be learned when you keep an open mind.

Love the feedback DonTS and OCeques.
Well, I don't know if I agree with that but yes, feedback was given along with suggestions and I explained why IMHO based on my experience these assumptions were incorrect. I have shot a match twice where it took ALL DAY to shoot my 7 divisions and there were only 190 entries for the ENTIRE weekend! But those RO's were not experienced and were not following the GSSF squading system. I understand they are all on the program now and that match runs much smoother.

Regarding Practiscore or any other system updates, you have to remember the GSSF program is a marketing program for Glock and believe it or not actually runs at a loss for them. I know the GSSF staff would love to have some updates to move away from the abacus (you youngsters may need to Google that ) and move into the 90's maybe but Glock won't release the funds at this time. This is a pretty unique program that I do not believe any other manufacturer comes anywhere close to so I guess I just worry that they will pull the plug if they get too many complaints. Sorry if my passion gets the better of my sometimes.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Voted Most Ready CGN'er
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

An alternative is, they say nothing, never return and tell others the event is run badly and those people never bother. Maybe that doesn't matter to the match as a whole but it's still a reality that can be acknowledged.

I prefer being told what was perceived of me even when I disagree with the perception.

Eta: I guess , for clarity, I should disclose, I was NOT at this event. I'm just butting in!

Last edited by readysetgo; 11-20-2017 at 1:36 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Regarding Practiscore or any other system updates, you have to remember the GSSF program is a marketing program for Glock and believe it or not actually runs at a loss for them. I know the GSSF staff would love to have some updates to move away from the abacus (you youngsters may need to Google that ) and move into the 90's maybe but Glock won't release the funds at this time. This is a pretty unique program that I do not believe any other manufacturer comes anywhere close to so I guess I just worry that they will pull the plug if they get too many complaints. Sorry if my passion gets the better of my sometimes.
Practicscore is not an expensive service to use and the tablets are not that expensive..

GSSF is Glocks "cover your ***" program that lets it claim it is not only a LE and Military weapons manufacturer.. THAT is the primary reason the GSSF exists. Dont forget what was going on with the anti gun movement when the GSSF was started...
Old 11-20-2017, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Context - This was my first pistol competition - ever.

Volunteered for Friday set-up day but couldn’t make it due to a change of scheduling conflict.

My experience on Saturday was as follows:

Arrived about 8:40 and ended up pulling up to and parking at Burro’s main office per the instructions on postage roadside signage.

Didn’t notice any large signage in the immediate area. Resolved my “lost” status by looking around the surrounding areas for GSSF branding banners. Found the Bays and Registration area just over the rise on the north side. Traffic control didn’t start till after you drive past the rise and main office.

Found the check-in tent easily enough and the line for pre-registered competitors moved quickly once I‎t got going.

Got signed in to all three bays first per the on-site staffs recommendations with sign-in times between 9:20-9:30. Checked in to the last bay I signed into which was Glock The Plates. I completed all three bays by 10:35. I registered into two divisions with one pistol for context.

Some thoughts:
- pre-registration helped even with the extremely short line for non-registered competitors Saturday morning.
- have enough magazines to cover the strings you intend to shoot. I only had 5 magazines and didn’t properly account for this and had to reload at my first bay to shoot my 2nd division, all the while paranoid I was holding up the line. I fixed this by buying a 6th magazine ($10) per an RO’s recommendation at my next bay so I can shoot without having to reload magazines on deck. The last two bays were 3 strings of fire per division.
- all reference reading materials are online and familiarizing myself with the course of fire before the event helped move thru the stages quickly. the rest of the competitors were social and the non first timers filled in the rest of the details I had questions about.
- simply put they could use more volunteers. There was only enough staff to safely run two lines per bay on Saturday. Volunteering did not work out for me this year but will plan accordingly next year.
- it’s a great entry for a beginner to get into pistol shooting sports. I’m not aware of any other manufacturer running a “like” program at this scale.

All around a great experience if planned for accordingly. I expected to be there longer than I was and I‎t was an unexpected bonus to an already great experience. Many thanks to the staff again - from a first timer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marketplace:

None
Old 11-20-2017, 5:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
- First let me say THANK YOU again to the volunteers who made the event possible. I personally enjoyed the match and did not have a problem with the wait times... I was in the military and I shoot a lot of matches so I am very acclimated to the "hurry up and wait" syndrome. I had a chance to meet and talk with a lot of people I had not met before as many of the competitors are not the usual suspects in the IDPA/ USPSA circuit in So Calf. The gun talk was a little boring as its was mostly all Glock all the time. I only own a G19... Im a SiG and HK guy personally. If only I could have used my HK VP9........

My commentary above on the "wait" was a response to the complaint by Don the Savage in this thread.

As this match grows.. I strongly would suggest that they
- go to practiscore bringing scoring and the posting of results into the 21st century and up to industry standard.
- Require signup and payment via practiscore on line in advance. This reduces check in time considerably, makes the economics of the match predictable and lets the event sponsor plan more accurately for staffing and facilities. It can also allow you to put a limit on the number of participants in a day
Hmmmm....

Yes practiscore would be a great addition. Perhaps you should suggest this to Glock/GSSF! I've already tallied my scores and penalties, both were terrible! But I agree, that waiting the average of a week for the preliminaries and a month for the official scores to be posted are way too long in these "I want it now" Internet days!

Sign ups are handled via the GSSF website and their archaic pdf form, or you can call them. Up until 3 years ago the entry form was just a pdf that you had to print out and then scan/email or fax. YES, fax!!!

Advanced registration is always encouraged and preferred. But switching to advanced registration only would hurt the overall number of shooters. Remember that a huge # of GSSF shooters are new to the shooting sports, and as 2nd amendment supporters, we all want to encourage their participation in this event. It's a "gateway drug" for some... many new shooters will get hooked and venture into IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, etc. We were all noobs to competition at one time.

Some facts: Typically the fall event has a lower turnout, so I think the total number of participants may have caught Glock by surprise. Many of us volunteers thought the USC/UCLA game and NFL would hurt the numbers. Also, usually there are more Glock employees on hand, however this was also the weekend of their largest east coast shoot so many were working in Florida. I don't see Glock doing this again. With close to 500 total shooters this weekend we are about to enter the GSSF "big time" where 500+ tends to be the magic number. Come out in Spring and lend us a hand, we're going to need it!

As a 5 time GSSF shooter and 3 time volunteer RO; I do see some areas we could improve in, and that might seriously aid in speeding things up. Here is what I suggest should be done for the next Burro Cyn/Azusa event:
  • Keep the multi-entry bay and seriously enforce a 3 or more divisions/guns rule forcing compettitors to use the multi-entry bay only. (which should have been enforced this weekend)
  • Add a trio of "first timer/1 gun only" bays (1 for each COF) where our most experienced RO's can ensure that the new shooters can take their time, are well briefed, and are better prepared for success.
  • Keep the event registration system the way Glock\GSSF has it to encourage more first timers and registered shooters friends coming at the last minute.
  • Add a few volunteers to aid in speedy day of event registrations and check-ins for pre-registered shooters.
  • Glock\GSSF update their current system so preliminary results are posted at the end of each shooting day, or shortly after the conclusion of the match.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 11-20-2017 at 5:36 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 5:41 PM

We need to double down on the Young Marine platoon!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Hmmmm....

As a 5 time GSSF shooter and 3 time volunteer RO; I do see some areas we could improve in, and that might seriously aid in speeding things up. Here is what I suggest should be done for the next Burro Cyn/Azusa event:
  • Keep the multi-entry bay and seriously enforce a 3 or more divisions/guns rule forcing compettitors to use the multi-entry bay only. (which should have been enforced this weekend)
  • Add a trio of "first timer/1 gun only" bays (1 for each COF) where our most experienced RO's can ensure that the new shooters can take their time, are well briefed, and are better prepared for success.
  • Keep the event registration system the way Glock\GSSF has it to encourage more first timers and registered shooters friends coming at the last minute.
  • Add a few volunteers to aid in speedy day of event registrations and check-ins for pre-registered shooters.
  • Glock\GSSF update their current system so preliminary results are posted at the end of each shooting day, or shortly after the conclusion of the match.
\
Excellent suggestions! As a strong 2nd amendment and shooting sports supporter, I have always "put both my $$ and my time where my mouth and posts are...."

I would be willing to volunteer a day or two as a RSO (IDPA certified), particularly on a shooting position / bay dedicated to 1st time / one gun shooters.

Does someone maintain a list of potential volunteers to call on for these events? If so please ask them to PM me and I will provide my contact info. If I have no conflicts.. its a great way to spend a day with other shooters...

Stephen

Quote:
When you are ashore, you can NEVER have enough marines, no matter what the task!

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 11-20-2017 at 6:28 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 8:28 PM

Quote:
\
Excellent suggestions! As a strong 2nd amendment and shooting sports supporter, I have always "put both my $$ and my time where my mouth and posts are...."

I would be willing to volunteer a day or two as a RSO (IDPA certified), particularly on a shooting position / bay dedicated to 1st time / one gun shooters.

Does someone maintain a list of potential volunteers to call on for these events? If so please ask them to PM me and I will provide my contact info. If I have no conflicts.. its a great way to spend a day with other shooters...

Stephen

When you are ashore, you can NEVER have enough marines, no matter what the task!
PM Roundeye on here, he is the MD. And it will be great to have experienced help. Having qualified guys to run the timer is always a plus. On M we had 3 solid ROs on Sat and Sun and I think we will have another based on what I saw from the scorekeepers helping out. The really tough part that is core to keeping it running smoothly is the sign-in RO. They are the ones that make sure the trees are balanced and getting everyone through as quickly as possible. I'm sure you will be a great addition to the team. 👍
Old 11-20-2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm....

Yes practiscore would be a great addition. Perhaps you should suggest this to Glock/GSSF! I've already tallied my scores and penalties, both were terrible! But I agree, that waiting the average of a week for the preliminaries and a month for the official scores to be posted are way too long in these "I want it now" Internet days!

Sign ups are handled via the GSSF website and their archaic pdf form, or you can call them. Up until 3 years ago the entry form was just a pdf that you had to print out and then scan/email or fax. YES, fax!!!

Advanced registration is always encouraged and preferred. But switching to advanced registration only would hurt the overall number of shooters. Remember that a huge # of GSSF shooters are new to the shooting sports, and as 2nd amendment supporters, we all want to encourage their participation in this event. It's a "gateway drug" for some... many new shooters will get hooked and venture into IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, etc. We were all noobs to competition at one time.

Some facts: Typically the fall event has a lower turnout, so I think the total number of participants may have caught Glock by surprise. Many of us volunteers thought the USC/UCLA game and NFL would hurt the numbers. Also, usually there are more Glock employees on hand, however this was also the weekend of their largest east coast shoot so many were working in Florida. I don't see Glock doing this again. With close to 500 total shooters this weekend we are about to enter the GSSF "big time" where 500+ tends to be the magic number. Come out in Spring and lend us a hand, we're going to need it!

Great suggestions Darryl. The only issue I see with expansion is getting more bays from the range. It would be nice if we could run till 4-5 too although light becomes an issue, at least in November. 1 more bay with a 5 to Glock and M stage on it would sure help though.

Prelims are normally posted Mon-Tues after the match and we even had one up Sunday night before. People have been complaining about the 1 month "protest period" for some time now and it was a recent (month ago?) discussion on Glock Talk. Bear in mind not so long ago they used to MAIL the prelims and it was several months before finals we posted. YIKES! I think this could be cut down to a couple weeks but the wheels of change turn slowly sometimes.

I also agree that the registration process is a bottleneck and it would be nice if they could open up another line for that too as well as 1 person handing out the preregistration stickers. I think they only have the 1 laptop setup to deal with this so not sure how they could implement this without bringing more staff from GA.
Old 11-20-2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
DEFINITELY!! Those Marines (I won't call them kids) were a godsend on Sat. It was nice being able to use them to fill in while we were rotating out for lunch. I've seen a lot of these where they shut down one side completely for lunch. That gets ugly! I only wish they had an opportunity to shoot with us. Maybe next time.
Old 11-20-2017, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
...I also agree that the registration process is a bottleneck and it would be nice if they could open up another line for that too as well as 1 person handing out the preregistration stickers. I think they only have the 1 laptop setup to deal with this so not sure how they could implement this without bringing more staff from GA.
I'm just speculating here -- but I believe that we had more Glock personnel at our Spring shoot, and with the 1,000+ they had at the Talladega, Alabama (not Florida) GSSF match this weekend, I think we may have suffered with a smaller Glock team this time around. That would have sped up the bottlenecks at registration and pre-registered check-ins.

I doubt Glock will underestimate our turnouts next year, and am confident that they'll schedule matches and their staff accordingly!

We can always use more volunteers! ALWAYS!!!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 PM

I volunteered during Sat. and Sun. but didn't shoot. It was a fun experience and I learned a lot. It was great that I got to rotate through all the stages (as well as doing some time as a parking attendant ) to see how each worked from the shooting-side and the scoring/administrative-side. I got to run sign-in, I got to score, I got to use the timer...pretty much every RO duty. I will definitely be shooting the next time these roll around on top of volunteering again. My only concern during the event was safety and I am happy that there were no major safety incidents (that I know of).

From a newbie's perspective: When I was helping the sign-in/subbing for Scott during the lunch breaks I had an observation about signing into stages. Some people--I assume the more seasoned shooters--signed in early in the morning on each stage, then just made their way to each stage, put "X"s next to their names and then got put up on the boards fairly quickly (10 minutes or less). They shot quickly and moved to their next stage quickly (30 minutes or less). This should be a standard practice told to everyone when they register. "Sign in at all stages first, then work your way around each stage until you finish shooting." would be a good warning.

For some of the people who signed in at each stage only when they arrived to it, it rubbed them the wrong way and they were wondering why when their name was next to get highlighted, they had to wait for an additional 3 shooters who suddenly showed up. Some people were also trying to tell me that the people that signed in ahead of them who were present but forgot to put in a sign-in time should be skipped. I'm sure they were just antsy because the wait was long.

I talked to one of the workers at Burro (might have been the owner?) and he said he will set aside more room for parking next time. The ranges at the top (where we were at) are ideal for a pistol competition and using the shotgun range as the main parking area helped out A LOT. He said he was thinking about using the range right below us (to the left as you go over the hill) as additional parking. That hike to/from the bottom of the rifle range really stunk, especially at the end of Saturday, so hopefully that is resolved from this point forward.

In closing, thanks to Chad, everyone at Glock, everyone at Burro Canyon, every volunteer (and especially our grillmaster for the great burgers and dogs) for a fun-filled weekend of guns.

See you all around!

Last edited by sitruc; 11-20-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitruc View Post

I talked to one of the workers at Burro (might have been the owner?) and he said he will set aside more room for parking next time.
I doubt it.. I have known the owner for over 20 years...he has been living up in Oregon for the last two years..
Old 11-21-2017, 2:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Prelims are posted:

http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2017/2017bca.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marketplace:

None
Old 11-21-2017, 3:27 PM

And I finished second to last it's the girls in major sub. Only in gender neutral SoCal. LMAO

That's some funny sheet, it took me 299 seconds to shoot the stage.
Old 11-21-2017, 8:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just a short GoPro clip I made... trying to learn the free gopro video editing software so playing with some video effects!

I thought this clip worked well with the sun behind the shooter and from the ranger officers perspective. I need to up my frame rate for smoother slow motion next time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8d...ature=youtu.be

More will follow...
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
And I finished second to last it's the girls in major sub. Only in gender neutral SoCal. LMAO

That's some funny sheet, it took me 299 seconds to shoot the stage.
You might want to check your scoresheets, 150 seconds to shoot 5toGlock seems high to me. There are some others that look wrong also.

Scott
Old 11-22-2017, 4:54 AM

Quote:
You might want to check your scoresheets, 150 seconds to shoot 5toGlock seems high to me. There are some others that look wrong also.

Scott

Call GSSF to have them correct it?
Old 11-22-2017, 7:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski;
Call GSSF to have them correct it?
I️ believe you email them. gssf @ glock.us

Marketplace:

None
Old 11-22-2017, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencreations_ar888 View Post
Woot! Compared to the Spring match in April, I guess I have progressed in my development.

But dang that Competition division - in spite of a way faster time since April, it is difficult to move up the ranks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxQJRgZvec

Quote:
Just a short GoPro clip I made... trying to learn the free gopro video editing software so playing with some video effects!

I thought this clip worked well with the sun behind the shooter and from the ranger officers perspective. I need to up my frame rate for smoother slow motion next time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8d...ature=youtu.be

More will follow...
Nice video!!! Whoa!?! That was FAST...

Is shooting far to near the better approach for 5 to Glock?

_
Old 11-22-2017, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencreations_ar888 View Post
I️ believe you email them. gssf @ glock.us
Correct. Although after seeing Steve shoot........

Scott
Old 11-22-2017, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Woot! Compared to the Spring match in April, I guess I have progressed in my development.

But dang that Competition division - in spite of a way faster time since April, it is difficult to move up the ranks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxQJRgZvec

Is shooting far to near the better approach for 5 to Glock?

_
Nice shooting Alfred!

I think it all depends on what you are comfortable with. Some people like to start fast and slow down while others like starting slow and speeding up. I generally shoot near to far in this array. I just tend a panic I'm taking too long on the far targets and shoot too fast! LOL! Your M and plate runs looked really good. Just keep after it!

Scott