Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2017, 3:47 PM

Default HELP MY WIFE TO LOVE FIREARMS!

I hope the title was catchy enough to get some help and advice. My anniversary is coming up and we are planning on a day trip to Julian, just outside of San Diego. I come from a gun loving family, hers are more conservative when it comes to firearms (they dont "hate" guns, they just dont dont see a need for most people to own, they live in low crime region). She is open to exposing herself to firearms, I want to teach her to to shoot or at least try to since she is willing. I want to find a place outdoors (forget the indoor ranges, even those places scare me when they are busy with shooters who dont know how to keep their gun pointed downrange. Is anyone willing to share a nice outdoor spot I can teach my wife to shoot? I at off the 8 and 15, and we like to go to Julian, so somewhere in that general area would be great. Specific directions would be much appreciated, I always keep shooting spots cleaner then when I arrived but I am from another part of the state so need a new spot to shoot.
Please no comments about my wife's thoughts on guns, she is trying to see my point of view.
Sincerely, A.S.

Last edited by ansan12001; 11-13-2017 at 3:50 PM..
Old 11-13-2017, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Pala range is nice
Old 11-13-2017, 3:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

if she has never shot before, i wouldn't bring her somewhere that can get loud with others shooting. take her to blm land near you and setup cans, steel plates, etc.
Old 11-13-2017, 4:14 PM

Default HELP MY WIFE TO LOVE FIREARMS!

Depending on your wife. It may be good to have her first experience in a group of women and/or you not being the teacher.

I know there are classes specifically for women but I think the ones which I have seen are mainly at indoor ranges. Not sure of outdoor range offerings
Old 11-13-2017, 4:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
if she has never shot before, i wouldn't bring her somewhere that can get loud with others shooting. take her to blm land near you and setup cans, steel plates, etc.
I took my wife shooting for the first time.

I practiced with her several times in having a proper stance, grip, and dry fired and racked several times. Over and over again before going until it became more natural.

I think it's more important to go this new range first before taking your wife, and check it out and get familiar with it. You have to be calm and have a non-disrespectful tone of voice, and if you go to a new range, you may be slightly off tilt/balance mentally while teaching your wife.
Old 11-13-2017, 4:22 PM
Banned

It's also important to take pictures, so when anti-gun friends or relatives have an anti-gun moment, having a picture of her shooting will remind her of what it felt like.
Old 11-13-2017, 4:24 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would agree that a class would be a better option. Take it with her, just don't try to instruct or correct her, let the instructor(s) do that.
Old 11-13-2017, 4:36 PM

Thanks for the advice, we have a amazing relationship. This is something we want to do together by ourselves (anniversary)....
Again, I appreciate all the feedback, I should have mentioned I am looking for a outdoor spot I dont have to pay to use, preferable close to Julian.
Thanks

Last edited by ansan12001; 11-13-2017 at 4:38 PM..
Old 11-13-2017, 4:53 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansan12001 View Post
Thanks for the advice, we have a amazing relationship. This is something we want to do together by ourselves (anniversary)....
Again, I appreciate all the feedback, I should have mentioned I am looking for a outdoor spot I dont have to pay to use, preferable close to Julian.
Thanks
Awesome! I don't have any locations to share with you, but I hope you both have a great time. Please report back on how it went!
Old 11-13-2017, 4:55 PM

Im sorry I forgot to mention for a FREE outdoor spot to shoot, we live by 8 and 15. We go to Julian alot and would like to combine shooting time with trips to Julian.

Thank you!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansan12001 View Post
Thanks
funny story is that my lady and my first date was to dinner and then the gun range. she had shot before as a kid and i let it slip that i just bought a new handgun and was going to pick it up the next day. she said "lets go pick it up and shoot it".

love
Old 11-14-2017, 4:59 AM

I don't have a spot for you but I can tell you that "Women on Target" is one of the best things a lady can attend if she is interested in an introduction to firearms.
Old 11-14-2017, 5:55 AM

No outdoor shooting locations are open right now in SD. Im pretty sure all are closed right now due to BLM.
Old 11-14-2017, 6:39 AM

Invite her to come a A GIRL & A GUN meeting to visit with other gals who like shooting https://www.agirlandagun.org

There is a local chapter out of Vista (Empowered Firearms), and they have a once a month gathering on Saturdays at Rainbow Range (outdoors).

It is a very cool group. They have a FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AGAG...?ref=bookmarks
Old 11-14-2017, 6:42 AM

Also have her check out The Well Armed Woman website...lots to read. Fun videos. Short articles at the intro level.

https://thewellarmedwoman.com
Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Shh... Just let it happen
CGN Contributor

San Diego County public lands are closed to shooting right now. Closest is Imperial County public lands. I know you said you wanted to do this with just the two of you, but consider "Women on Target" at South Bay Rod & Gun (OUTDOOR RANGE). They start out with 22 caliber pistols and rifles and work their way up to 20 gauge shotguns.

http://www.sbrgc.org/page-1479193

Last edited by echo6cavedog; 11-14-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 11-14-2017, 12:29 PM

A good outdoor range is SD is Southbay Rod and Gun in Dulzura. Kinda the opposite way from where you want to go but well worth the time.

I recommend taking her there.

Talk to the RSO’s and let them know your intentions they will help out.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:52 PM

All BLM is for down for fire safety, Southbay Rod & gun is not too far from there and I love to go there. In Alpine there is lemon Grove r&g but it's a private club. I've never been but I've been told it's a fun time. They do free events from time to time. Closest blm that's open is ocotillo Wells. I would recommend South Bay personally, good luck and have fun.

WTB
Wilson Combat EDC X9**
VP9 gray**
1911 Commander in 9mm**
M&P 9c 2.0
M&P 9mm Shield 2.0**
Old 11-14-2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheep View Post
I don't have a spot for you but I can tell you that "Women on Target" is one of the best things a lady can attend if she is interested in an introduction to firearms.

Yes to this, and it's held at Escondido Fish and Game and I believe it's free to women. It's a fantastic outdoor facility and the coaching staff is top notch!
Old 11-14-2017, 6:57 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

OP, as someone married for 25 years, a piece of advice. DON'T. At most you MIGHT get her to PUT UP with guns. You MIGHT even get her to SHOOT guns with you from time to time, but you likely WON'T get her to LOVE guns.

Think of this the other way. Suppose she wanted to get you to LOVE shopping for shoes, or whatever it is she likes. Sure, you might do it. You might put up with it for her, but you WON'T LOVE it.

Each of you enjoy your own pass times and do things together you both like.
just a pro-tip.
Old 11-14-2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
OP, as someone married for 25 years, a piece of advice. DON'T. At most you MIGHT get her to PUT UP with guns. You MIGHT even get her to SHOOT guns with you from time to time, but you likely WON'T get her to LOVE guns.

Think of this the other way. Suppose she wanted to get you to LOVE shopping for shoes, or whatever it is she likes. Sure, you might do it. You might put up with it for her, but you WON'T LOVE it.

Each of you enjoy your own pass times and do things together you both like.
just a pro-tip.
This right here.

I don’t want my wife to love guns. She knows I like guns and shooting. She knows when I go shoot with friends or myself it’s “me” time. The times she does go shoot is when other couples go.
Old 11-14-2017, 9:35 PM

you never know who is going to enjoy shooting (or bowling or golfing...)
much of it depends on how quickly they learn and have success.
athletic types might be more naturally inclined, and also more competitive, so they will get more out of feeling proficient at it.

my tip: make it extremely easy at first, and then progressively harder.

then again, some people like to have time away from the spouse, and it defeats the purpose (like many golfers).

i never would have thought my sister in-law, who never shot anything until she was over 50, would like shooting.
she has her own safe now. i don't know how many guns.
Old 11-15-2017, 4:41 AM

I think you will have to pay for "Women on Target"
Old 11-15-2017, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheep View Post
I think you will have to pay for "Women on Target"
Correct you are, it's $30, thanks for the correction.