Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default M&P 9L Performance Center vs M&P 2.0 (9mm)

I was looking into the M&P 9L Performance Center (5"; not necessarily the CORE) and the standard 5" M&P 2.0.

I cannot tell what the difference is besides the trigger, the safety, and the LCI. And I've read that people recommend replacing the stock trigger with an Apex anyway. Would an Apex trigger for this version be identical to the one that would go into the Performance Center?

Also, to go on a quick tangent about loaded chamber indicators, has anyone who's purchased more recently rostered guns with the LCI found them to be useful? I could see it being helpful for knowing if you had a light primer strike or if your slide didn't hold open on the last round because you were riding the slide release; I feel like that could save a second or two in a competition or defense situation.

And before anyone says anything, yes I'm aware of the current roster and the laws. Much appreciated!

-Immortal Technique

Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 PM

I've had both with Apex Fss and I would say they are equal depending on what you want. The 2.0 has a longer steel frame under the polymer that's supposed to help with recoil but I've never noticed any difference. If you're going to upgrade the trigger with Apex Fss don't worry about the performance center, there trigger was what made the PC so nice.

I removed my lci before I first shot the gun, I hate lci's. Same with my shield. I also have mag disconnect, super easy to remove.

Great guns all around, enjoy!

WTB
Browning BLR 30-06**
P10F**
P10S**
Old 11-09-2018, 12:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
I removed my lci before I first shot the gun, I hate lci's. Same with my shield. I also have mag disconnect, super easy to remove.
Yeah the mag disconnect obviously is a pain. I have one in my Marlin .22 rifle.

Does the LCI have any effect on accuracy, or ability to buy aftermarket barrels?

Also, how is the thumb safety? Would there be any way you could see that accidentally engaging?

-Immortal Technique

Old 11-09-2018, 12:21 AM

I have the M&P 9L PCP. I'd pick it up over the 2.0 for the RMR cut. The ported barrel is nice but not a must for me. If the 2.0 has optic cuts, then its a fairly level playing field. The PCP will have slightly faster follow shots and possibly the edge in accuracy (mine's a tack driver). Both are good guns though - except for the stock trigger.
Old 11-09-2018, 6:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDM4556 View Post
I have the M&P 9L PCP. I'd pick it up over the 2.0 for the RMR cut. The ported barrel is nice but not a must for me. If the 2.0 has optic cuts, then its a fairly level playing field. The PCP will have slightly faster follow shots and possibly the edge in accuracy (mine's a tack driver). Both are good guns though - except for the stock trigger.
Main thing I was wondering is if there's any other internal improvements in the PCP vs the 2.0 besides the trigger, and per what etwinam said it seems there isn't; again, if the LCI somehow affects accuracy, or if they have different barrels (highly doubt it), then maybe there's some differences in the striker sears/cams/spring/etc. Also, if I'm not mistaken the 2.0 came out after the PCP, so it is at least somewhat safe to assume that some of the improvements from the PCP made it into the 2.0 (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

And yeah I was considering getting the optic ready one, but I probably will not end up mounting the optic (I know it's better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it; although it isn't cut for the optics that I would like to put on there -- Vortex Venom or Sig Romeo 1 -- and if I'm going to drop that money I don't mind paying to have it drilled/tapped for the optic). Not gonna lie, saving the $200 is huge because I can spend it on a holster and Apex flat trigger (which I'd probably put on the PCP anyway) is a huge plus for the 2.0, and that FDE just looks so damn cool.

If they made a PCP that came in FDE with the Apex from the factory, RMR cut AND HiViz sights for ~$900, that would be a no brainer.

-Immortal Technique

Old 11-09-2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFgiants105 View Post
Yeah the mag disconnect obviously is a pain. I have one in my Marlin .22 rifle.

Does the LCI have any effect on accuracy, or ability to buy aftermarket barrels?

Also, how is the thumb safety? Would there be any way you could see that accidentally engaging?
Not sure about the safety, I removed that too haha. No idea about lci and accuracy. As I stated I removed the lci, safety and mag disco as soon as I got it.

WTB
Browning BLR 30-06**
P10F**
P10S**
Old 11-09-2018, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

Yea, the M&P manual safety is quite anemic.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

YMMV but I much prefer the grip texture on the 2.0. The new stock trigger is also much more consistent, but that's a moot point if you're going to replace with an Apex. The 2.0 trigger is good enough that I don't feel a need to replace it.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up