Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-11-2012, 8:46 PM
Banned

Default Exploritory trip to Idaho ends well

The wife and I spent 9 days in ID and came back with a great feeling about the place. We both really like the Coeur D Alene area. The specific area we were looking at is further out but still a decent drive to the city and jobs.

Land is cheap and houses are not much more. We saw a really nice 3 story log cabin on 10 acres in the forest with water, electric and septic for 200k. We saw others as cheap as 25k if you did not want the land and forest trees.

Bottom line is there are plenty of jobs up there and the area is nothing short of amazing. I was able to wear my .45 on my hip the whole time and no one cared one stinkin bit.

As far as bug out locations go its a longs ways from here and you would never get there is something big happened. If you were not there already its over.

The area itself was covered with rivers and lakes. The wildlife was abundant. We saw turkeys, white tail, elk, trout and geese by the thousands. It is a hunters paradise and I cannot wait to move.

Our T-Minus clock has started ticking and we are making decisions to get us out of here and moved up there. If a guy had an internet business you could build a cabin on 100 acres a bit further from town and be living large.

If any of you want some help moving to ID I have tons of resources after 4 months of searching.

Some pics.........

Last edited by problemchild; 12-11-2012 at 8:49 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 8:51 PM
Banned

Old 12-11-2012, 8:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

nice!

What are the major industries in Idaho? Farming/Ranching?

I think those turkeys are Easterns or Mirriams.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor

Last edited by wjc; 12-11-2012 at 8:54 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 8:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

I'm so happy for you and not far behind!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 8:54 PM
Banned

our favorite of the trip...

Old 12-11-2012, 8:55 PM
Banned

Old 12-11-2012, 8:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

ARN!
Old 12-11-2012, 8:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You're gonna need a canoe for those lakes!

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 12-11-2012, 8:57 PM
Banned

Old 12-11-2012, 8:59 PM
Banned

Old 12-11-2012, 9:01 PM
Banned

Old 12-11-2012, 9:05 PM
Veteran Member

Have family near Boise.. only thing keeping me from moving is Glamis and no work up there... very interested in what kind of industry you found to be hiring up in the pan handle...
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 12-11-2012, 9:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Have family near Boise.. only thing keeping me from moving is Glamis and no work up there... very interested in what kind of industry you found to be hiring up in the pan handle...
Honestly you could flip hamburgers and deliver pizzas for the $600/mo house payment.

The wife is is the medical field and I can scrounge up new IT customers easy just knocking on doors. I have a really since about this place.

Well I'm up at ohhhh-three-hundred so good night all........
Old 12-11-2012, 9:12 PM

I'm a northwest transplant myself...awesome pictures, you're making me want to extend my Christmas trip and look around Oregon and parts of Idaho now.
Old 12-11-2012, 9:17 PM

Beautiful country... my wife keeps looking at realestate listings up there. The Mrs is a Navy brat, she gets the itch to move about every three or four years. I'm a frostbite casualty, I don't do well in the northern climates anymore . We may look at Arizona in a few years when I can retire
Old 12-11-2012, 9:23 PM

Very nice pictures. I would love to move to somewhere more rural than were I currently live but it's just not in the cards right now as my wife is a born and bred city girl. I have a few acres in North Eastern Washington but its not really buildable. Some of those houses you showed look amazing. Good luck with your adventures, and welcome back for the time being.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Very nice!!! I used to live in Boise and I LOVE Idaho. Unfortunately the missus doesn't like cold weather so I'm likely not heading back.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM

Jealous. I want to be up there.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

looks great.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I really wanted to get to CDA or the surrounding area. But the wife got her job here first. It may happen at some point, but I doubt it. I'm going to have to be happy with Southern Idaho. Since that is the case, we'll be looking out in Star and Emmett. If I could get her to go to Horseshoe Bend I would look there as well.

The only way I see us getting to CDA is.... I don't see it happening. I've never been to CDA, but that area just looked like paradise. I shouldn't complain. We can be in unpopulated wilderness in just a few minutes. I just want to be somewhere smaller than Boise and further away from the hoardes of people when SHTF.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 PM

Wow. It's amazing up there. I'd give anything to move to ID/MT/WY area!

www.teambassflag.com
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Really nice. Those homes look great. Prices sound great.

What else is there in terms of work or jobs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Old 12-12-2012, 1:00 AM
Veteran Member

pc,

I've spent a little time up there, it's great. My bud lives in Rathdrum and we try to visit every few years. He's a transplant from Fremont, been there since '78. He's done real good. Couple houses, couple duplexes, solid reputation. My yougest boy moved up there on his own when he was about 22, but pounding nails in the snow was too rough for him. I think he'll end up in that area some day. Good luck, Merry Christmas, PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 12-12-2012, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome back, PC!

Looks like a great trip. I'm partial to the house with the big-arse stone chimney.

Getting a place with running water (that wasn't downstream from some toxic industrial plants) would be a dream come true. I think you have a sweet choice with a place on a river. Heck, we're getting +/- 1 kilowatt at 6 knots from the two impellers on our boat -- I imagine that having a stream flowing through your property would be like owning the power company!

Just thought -- would that stream freeze in the winter?

And open carry. That's just amazing. Don't think I would do it, even if it were legal, but I would definitely try it at least once, just to know what having the option felt like.
Old 12-12-2012, 7:32 AM

I love the area you were looking at. We have family in the Moscow area. 5 years and counting til we are up there!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 12-12-2012, 7:45 AM

I hope all goes well for you and your move. Life is a little harder in Idaho than even where I live and I get four to five months of snow and ice. Notice there are no cement walks or driveways? You need a good mud room to help keep the house cleaner. My wife fights a constant battle ofthe wood debris coming in with the wood to heat and me feeding and then undressing in the mud room.

My people are farmers from pocatello area. The job situation must be getting better. Last I heard jobs were non existant. Now a rural pediatrician would be welcome anytime tough to get Dr's to live in the country not enough money and not enough facilities. hell we can't even get large animal vets to live in our area they make too much money taking care of poodles and cats in the city and don't get hurt like a cow kick etc.

Keep us posted on how things go. have you visited in the winter yet?
Old 12-12-2012, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

My Mom and Step Dad live in the Weiser area. with property on the Snake river and the other side of the little town.
They're general contractors, they stay very busy building homes, cabins, barns, remodels for lot's of Ca. transplants.

Too cold for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 9:57 AM

Sounds like you had a good trip. We are also thinking seriously about northern ID, but MT is still on the list as well. I've spent some time there, but my wife has not so we're planning a similar trip for next year.

I used to think about buying 10 or 20 acres and building, but prices on existing homes have fallen so much since 2008 that I think it's hard to make sense of that financially right now. That might change before we get up there - probably about 5 years away.

Have you investigated Internet access up there? Sounds like it may be tough to get good service in most remote locations.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 12-12-2012, 2:42 PM
Banned

There are a ton of rural wireless providers for the area. If that doesnt work there is sat. Im not too worried about the web as I will be either working, hunting, fishing or sleeping. Screw the internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Sounds like you had a good trip. We are also thinking seriously about northern ID, but MT is still on the list as well. I've spent some time there, but my wife has not so we're planning a similar trip for next year.

I used to think about buying 10 or 20 acres and building, but prices on existing homes have fallen so much since 2008 that I think it's hard to make sense of that financially right now. That might change before we get up there - probably about 5 years away.

Have you investigated Internet access up there? Sounds like it may be tough to get good service in most remote locations.
Old 12-12-2012, 2:45 PM
In Memoriam

Been there. Pray for Global Warming.
Old 12-12-2012, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Winters are brisk so to say!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 3:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Winters are brisk so to say!!!
Colder the better! I love cold. Probably have 4k in winter gear and boots. Camped in -29f winters for months and loved it.
Old 12-12-2012, 3:03 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

ID has captured my interest also. While there recently, I had to go in to MT for Family matters, and I was equally impressed - if not more impressed.

I have an AZ/FL CCW so carrying wasn't an issue.

But the people - that was what struck me. They were all polite, and the kids respectful (no baggie pants seen), just it used to be here a few decades ago

My partner bought a custom place in Kimberely, ID, added another garage (5 cars now), and a heavy insulated steal shop with dual roll up doors. All for a decent price.

It's like it's suppose to be - everywhere. Common sense, and decent people.

Nice pics...

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 12-12-2012, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
There are a ton of rural wireless providers for the area. If that doesnt work there is sat. Im not too worried about the web as I will be either working, hunting, fishing or sleeping.
I hear nothing but bad things about the satellite providers, everything from bad customer service to poor performance.

Rural wireless is probably the way to go, but I think it's only available in certain areas still. That might improve over time though.

I've even read about one guy near Sagle that pays about $400/month for a dedicated T1 line. He's got a home business though, so not just your average web surfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Screw the internet!
But, but, but .... What about Calguns?

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 12-12-2012, 3:26 PM
In Memoriam

I don't really care, and will probably die in the house I live in, BUT they do bury water pipes 6 feet deep up there.

I don't think any Californian, even those who get out for some skiing occasionally, understand cold as it is in south Canada. I was once up there and the heater pilot light went out. I saw my life flash before me.
Old 12-12-2012, 3:26 PM

I'm getting flown up there by a potential employer right after the first. I'd be around the Parma area. Have you been there?
Old 12-12-2012, 3:48 PM

How much was the house that was your fav? Looked awesome.

Mam why did i marry a citi girl. Im from la also. But deep down ive always felt like i belong somewhere out doorsy
Old 12-12-2012, 5:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc_my_tims View Post
How much was the house that was your fav? Looked awesome.

Mam why did i marry a citi girl. Im from la also. But deep down ive always felt like i belong somewhere out doorsy
It had an offer on it for 206k and they were asking 225k.
Old 12-12-2012, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokesdmb View Post
I'm getting flown up there by a potential employer right after the first. I'd be around the Parma area. Have you been there?
Parma is actually pretty cool in my book. Very small. Farm country. They grow sugar beets and onions I think out that way. Great range out at Parma Rod and Gun Club. Not wooded at all. Open fields. Though from Parma you are not too far from some nice wilderness areas.
Old 12-13-2012, 5:54 PM

Hey PC,

If it's not too much trouble could you post up a few of the house pics with asking prices? Perhaps a low, medium, and high? Or pic #3 was ..., Pic #8 was..., etc.

If I only had your mailing addy I could send you some beef jerky...

Thanks PC, another nice thread!

Jay