Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daBluman View Post
Newbie on Calguns Forum here. I just found this how to on photographing your firearms.
I did this one a couple of days ago. It was my first attempt at this type of shot. I took several, this is one to the best. The shot was taken using Nikon D50 and it's built in flash.

That is probably the worst shooting target I have ever seen! Are you sure you are capable of owning a firearm?

LOL

Last edited by gotgunz; 03-12-2009 at 5:19 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgunz View Post
That is probably the worst shooting target I have ever seen! Are you sure you are capable of owning a firearm?

LOL
Ahhh... Come on.... Depending on distance that could be decent
Old 04-04-2009, 7:04 AM

Some images I've shot in available light of old sporting guns...

Old 04-04-2009, 8:31 AM

Available light is beautiful light to work by although it can contain a heavy ratioed highlight to shadow balance. I find a white card or tin-foil does a very nice natural looking fill-in.

Last edited by Toscano; 04-23-2009 at 9:26 AM..
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toscano View Post
Available light is beautiful light to work by although it can contain a heavy ratioed highlight to shadow balance. I find a white card or tin-foil does a very nice natural looking fill-in.
In this case I think it comes down to individual preference - I personally like the "available light" samples posted above.

Turby
Old 04-07-2009, 11:43 AM

I keep going back to look at the photos posted above. Something about them keeps drawing me back for further examination. An almost perfect blend of light, shadows and depth of field.
Old 04-21-2009, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I know I'm not the best photographer, but I took this shot when I thought the light was just right for the mood.

Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Very nice JTROKS... Id say move the lighter objects closer since there is more light back there and kinda washing out that beautiful revolver... but i fyou want the focus to be more on the Colt, you did just that.

Nice collection there

JOe
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM

And A.Tinkerer... Your photos are great... proof that you don't need the whole gun in the frame to capture the beauty of a firearm.

JOe
Old 04-23-2009, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Very nice JTROKS... Id say move the lighter objects closer since there is more light back there and kinda washing out that beautiful revolver... but i fyou want the focus to be more on the Colt, you did just that.

Nice collection there

JOe
Thank you for the compliment. I have a lot to learn in taking photographs and you've pointed out something I didn't think of. The original intent of the picture was for the black guns only, but then the Mustang and the King Cobra yelled they want to join in. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that when I find the right lighting to photograph all my 357s.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 04-25-2009, 3:49 PM

wow, a thread that encompasses two of my favorite hobbies! my stuff is not up to the level of some of the pics in this thread but one way i have found to get good light on my pistols without a light box is to use mirrors and bounce the flash on the ceiling. fortunately by bathroom counter has mirrors on both sides so all I do is clear it off point my flash up and shoot away.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Last edited by Kingofthehill; 01-26-2013 at 12:20 AM..
Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 AM

I had know idea Cal Guns had such amazing information.....I will be making a homedepot run tomorrow morning for sure!!!
WOW Awesome pictures guys
- "...When the Lamb had opened the first of the seven seals, I heard the first of the four beasts say with a thundering voice, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a white horse; and he that sat on him had a bow: and there was given unto him a crown, and he departed as conqueror and to conquest."
Revelation 6:1 - 6:2

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the tip

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/LIR_123/GlockWise.png
Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 PM

Couple of my favorites.

Old 05-24-2009, 5:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I had know idea Cal Guns had such amazing information.....I will be making a homedepot run tomorrow morning for sure!!!
WOW Awesome pictures guys
So, how's your progress?

Turby
Old 05-24-2009, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbs007 View Post
Couple of my favorites.
Direct flash will usually yield poor images.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptsr1 View Post
What Sig is that? Gorgeous gun.
Old 06-22-2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post

WHAT KIND OF BULLETS? I LIKE. what is the pointy stem inside of the JHP?
Old 06-23-2009, 9:02 PM

Great pictures... Cool studio...
Old 06-23-2009, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiejoe577 View Post
WHAT KIND OF BULLETS? I LIKE. what is the pointy stem inside of the JHP?
Look like Federal Hydra-shoks.
Old 06-30-2009, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donger View Post
Look like Federal Hydra-shoks.
Yeah, I told my mom to pick me up some and the sales person tricked her into geting a pack of 50 non hydra shock even tho they had tons in stock....
Old 07-29-2009, 9:39 PM

Cool thread. And how's this for a pic? Shot it with a Canon SD750. I was thinking about getting a Nikon D-something. Nothing fancy, but something decent to start with. Besides, it's the lens that most important, no?

Old 08-02-2009, 7:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calAWBsux View Post
Cool thread. And how's this for a pic? Shot it with a Canon SD750. I was thinking about getting a Nikon D-something. Nothing fancy, but something decent to start with. Besides, it's the lens that most important, no?
First, nice gun! Second, the pic is ok, but if you are looking to duplicate some of the results here, I would suggest you study the sharpness and focus of your photo. Notice how the image softens as you look towards the rear of the slide and the hammer? I suspect your camera is auto picking the f-stop for you. If you can manually adjust it, try using f/11 or smaller (smaller = f/22, for example). This will increase the depth of focus so that you can get the entire gun in focus for the picture.

However, if it was your intent to have just the middle of the gun in focus and not all of it, then I'd say this is a good start.

A good dSLR will help you with flexibility, as most point and shoots aren't that great on user control. Get a good body, but as you say, put your money into a couple of good lenses that you'll keep for a lifetime.

Turby
Old 08-03-2009, 9:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Turby. And, yep, I can see where the picture isn't crisp/clear throughout its entirety. My brother has a Canon Rebel, so maybe I'll play around with that and see what happens.
Old 08-18-2009, 6:22 PM

So I have read this thread multiple times trying to understand all the important information.

Gathered all the equipment (lights, box, software, etc. Still waiting on the really nice camera)

And here is some of the first pics:

Still dealing with the shadows and the tints, but this is almost as fun as building rifles........ Almost

Last edited by n2k; 08-18-2009 at 7:23 PM..
Old 08-20-2009, 3:26 AM

Great Info !!!!

I ve been learning along the way and adding things like mirrors and water droplets to my pictures as I go. I love to shoot my camera more then my guns ( heck its cheaper !! ).

Here is a few of my latest pictures.

Its almost more fun taking pictures then it is refinishing the guns. One thing I can say is to take notes. I know most of my settings now for certain areas and usually deviate very little from them. But until you can start to remember a certain setup that works, keep a little notepad with you and mark down your comments on what settings you had.

Great tutorial, I wish I would have found something like this awhile ago before learning the hard way ( and getting help from a few people ).

Thanks
Todd

Custom Licensed FFL Gunsmithing, Polishing, Parts productions, Custom CNC Machining, Custom Refinishing Chrome Plating and more
~~~Cerakote, Black Chrome, Nickel Cobalt Plating,Hot Black Oxide. Factory Certified Sig and Glock Armorer , Significant Sig Dealer 586.232.3422 9am-6pm Eastern~~~
Old 08-20-2009, 4:23 PM
Administrator

N2K, yeah, you're still going to have to wrangle with the white balance on that camera. Once you get that sorted out, your results should be a lot better.

customizedcreationz, I really like the addition of water to the photo - I've never thought of that but it adds more character to the picture. Nice job!

Turby
Old 08-20-2009, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by customizedcreationz View Post
... and adding things like mirrors and water droplets to my pictures as I go.
The water droplets are a kinda cool addition. Plus I like your background.

Which brings me to a question: I see a lot of photos with, uhhhhh, lets say [not]creative backgrounds. You know, rifle propped up in the corner of the floor so that the pic shows the carpet and wall and floor trim with the rifle breaking across the "seam."

Aren't better pictures taken with some sort of clean background?
Old 08-21-2009, 4:01 AM

Thanks guys !

The one thing that I dont like seeing is things through the trigger guard. I use a small piece of 1/2" rubber hose ( fuel line ) to prop the gun up.

Here are some more "creative" type backgrounds I ve used.

See the hose in the mirror.

Custom Licensed FFL Gunsmithing, Polishing, Parts productions, Custom CNC Machining, Custom Refinishing Chrome Plating and more
~~~Cerakote, Black Chrome, Nickel Cobalt Plating,Hot Black Oxide. Factory Certified Sig and Glock Armorer , Significant Sig Dealer 586.232.3422 9am-6pm Eastern~~~
Old 09-16-2009, 10:34 PM

OK I'll contribute.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkm4 View Post
OK I'll contribute.

Nice! How'd you set this up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Just do what M Sage and others have said to do, they know what theyr talkin about. Just dont urinate in your barrel and expect ur rifle to be ok. My buddy and I recently went shooting and he shot corrosive yugo ammo through his Mosin and figured he could just piss in the barrel and call it a day. Several days later the bolt was rusted shut but I guess the fouling wasnt TOO bad.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy334 View Post
Nice! How'd you set this up?
put gun right in front of me between me and my computer monitors and shoot! Photograph the gun, not shoot the gun I mean. I like the wood table background look as opposed to the studio shoots (not knocking on the studio shots!)

for the first 3 shots, bounced my (external) flash off the somewhat white ceiling~
ISO 200, f 8 @ 1/200s (dunno if this is too geeky for you)

last shot with the tacticool light on with no flash - ambient light source was my monitors!
ISO 1000 f 3.5 @ 1/50s

On a sidenote, if you can understand this - i want to get more star tails from the tactilight but that involves closing the lens down (making aperture number higher like beyond f 16) BUT that would mean less light so the image would've been really dark. The solution was yes, shoot with brighter ambient light OR with a tripod - ok enough geek talk.

anyhow, this shoot took like 10 mins in front of me so i didn't want to whip out my tripod - maybe i'll try more next week when i have more time.

hope this helped!

Last edited by hkm4; 09-16-2009 at 11:31 PM..
Old 09-19-2009, 2:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkm4 View Post
On a sidenote, if you can understand this - i want to get more star tails from the tactilight but that involves closing the lens down (making aperture number higher like beyond f 16) BUT that would mean less light so the image would've been really dark. The solution was yes, shoot with brighter ambient light OR with a tripod - ok enough geek talk.
You can photograph with a higher f stop and not lose light if you bump up your EV. I often will go EV + 1.7 or + 2.0 to get a brighter exposure. I also prefer that a higher f stop increases the depth of field, allowing for more of the gun to be in focus in the resulting image. All too often point and shoots don't allow you to adjust the depth of field, and so a lot of amateur shots are rather shallow in this regard.

Turby
Old 09-19-2009, 10:02 PM

thanks Turby - but I shoot in Manual Mode! and like I mentioned, I was too lazy to whip out my tripod so hand holding my camera at that range at night when i'm tired is min 1/50 sec. Adjusting EV would trim my shutter speed if I set my aperture and that's was a no no for my lazy hands.

On a side note, the tacticool light image was shot in a more artistic approach - not technical. So I wanted the shallow depth of field but i wanted more star tails - it's a trade off right?
Old 09-25-2009, 5:12 PM

Turbinator,

Is Nikon Camera Control compatible with the D80.

Thanks...

edit: it seems it can only be used with D2x's.

Last edited by Sig357; 09-25-2009 at 5:14 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 AM

Here is my Sig P229 9mm:

Taken with a Nikon D300 and two flashlights on both sides.
Old 10-01-2009, 5:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig357 View Post
Turbinator,

Is Nikon Camera Control compatible with the D80.

Thanks...

edit: it seems it can only be used with D2x's.
Hmm - well, I use Nikon's software with my D70s. I suspect it works with all Nikon's that can be hooked up to a computer via USB. I am pretty darn sure the D80 can be controlled by the software.

Turby
Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 AM

I'm a new member and I'm also a photog' wanabe and this really helps!
Regards,
Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by customizedcreationz View Post
Great Info !!!!

I ve been learning along the way and adding things like mirrors and water droplets to my pictures as I go. I love to shoot my camera more then my guns ( heck its cheaper !! ).

Here is a few of my latest pictures.

Its almost more fun taking pictures then it is refinishing the guns. One thing I can say is to take notes. I know most of my settings now for certain areas and usually deviate very little from them. But until you can start to remember a certain setup that works, keep a little notepad with you and mark down your comments on what settings you had.

Great tutorial, I wish I would have found something like this awhile ago before learning the hard way ( and getting help from a few people ).

Thanks
Todd
All I see are small blue boxes with a white question mark inside, no pics. Anyone have an explanation. I'm on a Mac G5 if that means anything. I can see all of the pics in the other posts.

ETA: Well, that's weird, when I quote your post, the pics now come up. I'm more confused now.