Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-15-2019, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
I have one of those, I figure it's a safe bet since apparently it's got the same footprint as a Trijicon. I even have a spare RMR - you know, just in case
Yep, they work... had an RMR on a Walther Q5 Match slide and swapped in a HS507C... fit right on the RMR plate, perfect fit, works great.

RMR was giving me battery issues first trip to the range. RMR will end up on a Glock with seal plate - either standard or the one with the battery bump to eliminate the BAD DESIGN issue. To be fair I do have two RMR's on MOS Glocks with seal plates and they are fine. But Trijicon is not a VALUE leader, nor above design flaws, IMHO.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yep, they work... had an RMR on a Walther Q5 Match slide and swapped in a HS507C... fit right on the RMR plate, perfect fit, works great.

RMR was giving me battery issues first trip to the range. RMR will end up on a Glock with seal plate - either standard or the one with the battery bump to eliminate the BAD DESIGN issue. To be fair I do have two RMR's on MOS Glocks with seal plates and they are fine. But Trijicon is not a VALUE leader, nor above design flaws, IMHO.
I like mine, the window is really easy to see the irons through and it seems the circle dot makes it a little faster. I also like the solar aspect of it. If it works out I'll get a few more for shotguns and carbines.

How many rounds through your Q5 since you put the HS in service? I've only got a few hundred through the G32 since I got it milled.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I like mine, the window is really easy to see the irons through and it seems the circle dot makes it a little faster. I also like the solar aspect of it. If it works out I'll get a few more for shotguns and carbines.

How many rounds through your Q5 since you put the HS in service? I've only got a few hundred through the G32 since I got it milled.
Only a couple boxes since dumping the RMR. I really like the reticle selection. I like using the open circle. That Walther frame has a good amount on it though - it is a PPQ 5" frame from SSE days.

On my Glocks I have co-witness with tall black Ameriglo's. The Q5 slide, you have to remove the entire rear sight "cover plate" and replace with the RMR plate. No co-witness.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:31 AM

Demand and supply at work
Old 01-15-2019, 9:32 AM

Fiber Sight vs RDS,
After I installed FastFire on Buckmark, grouping is slightly(at outdoor) better than Fiber Sight.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
A short time ago I fitted a vortex venom on a Kimber 9mm using an adapter from EGW that fits into the rear dovetail of the slide. I like it so much another 1911 is going to have a red dot sight.

Going from open sights to a red dot has a learning curve, but target acquisition is much faster ...both eyes open.
How has that adapter worked for you? I am frankly reluctant to start having my slide milled until I am confident I like using a red dot on my pistols. The adapter looks like it could be a good option. I have been looking at a Dual Illuminated RMR mounted to my G17 with an adapter.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-15-2019, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Only a couple boxes since dumping the RMR. I really like the reticle selection. I like using the open circle. That Walther frame has a good amount on it though - it is a PPQ 5" frame from SSE days.

On my Glocks I have co-witness with tall black Ameriglo's. The Q5 slide, you have to remove the entire rear sight "cover plate" and replace with the RMR plate. No co-witness.
I also use the Ameriglo's on my Glocks. The G32 is 'race cut' and I'm not sure if the cut or the HS is the reason, but I can really see the irons better on this one than the others.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHavasu View Post
How has that adapter worked for you? I am frankly reluctant to start having my slide milled until I am confident I like using a red dot on my pistols. The adapter looks like it could be a good option. I have been looking at a Dual Illuminated RMR mounted to my G17 with an adapter.
You can always just cover the milled part with a cover plate if you don't like it.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I also use the Ameriglo's on my Glocks. The G32 is 'race cut' and I'm not sure if the cut or the HS is the reason, but I can really see the irons better on this one than the others.
I had to get seriously HIGH suppressor sights to be able to use them through my original FF3's on the two MOS Glocks... sights did not need to be so high for RMR's, but I didn't go to the trouble of lowering them of course. So my irons are really visible on those Glocks too. More so than the FF3's allowed.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I had to get seriously HIGH suppressor sights to be able to use them through my original FF3's on the two MOS Glocks... sights did not need to be so high for RMR's, but I didn't go to the trouble of lowering them of course. So my irons are really visible on those Glocks too. More so than the FF3's allowed.
The ones I got are apparently 0.315" and 0.394" tall. Fit in all my holsters still but tall enough to pick up pretty easily.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

FF3 has a big rear. Even with the ones I had to buy, it was not much clearance to view the rear notch.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's my favorite actually, as long as it turns out to be durable. I like the circle/dot a lot. An EMP deal would likely disable it, but that's a pretty far fetched scenario.

It's currently riding on my EDC Glock 32.
REALLY!?!?! That's a lot of trust!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevans66 View Post
What are these interesting reviews of the HS507C? Negative reviews?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I found one review where the dot went out after a box of ammo... sounds like one of my brand new RMR's. Battery connection issue maybe.

Another review where the glass went downrange. That's not good.

Vast majority are great reviews though. Let's see how it holds up. Maybe I will leave it on the 9mm for while longer and then swap it over to the 40MOS and shoot some Underwood through it.

Early adopters get screwed sometimes hahah.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I have a laser and irons, and a backup RMR literally 20' from me in a box. It's working like a champ so far, and other HS products I've used have also been flawless. If I need the EDC gun, I want the best sights I can get on it. If it goes south I can also switch to the RMR equipped Glock 19, which is basically identical except 9mm and RMR.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:

How is the performance on a dead battery? Does it actually work on ambient light, even indoors as they advertise? Is the brightness comparable to when it's battery powered?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bought a 5" ported slide kit for my M&P (1.0). Topped it with an RMR06. No issue with it so far. I like it better than the night sights on my Sig.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

the only thing that took getting used to for me is the draw. I was so used to iron sights that finding the dot consistently took a few days.

after a while i'm used to both now, even after immediately switchingback and forth. I want to RMR everything I have now because my groups have drastically improved by at least 3x.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoduel View Post
How is the performance on a dead battery? Does it actually work on ambient light, even indoors as they advertise? Is the brightness comparable to when it's battery powered?
The HOLOSUN 507C??? I have never had a dead battery on it? RMR?? I have three battery only RMR's... when a battery loses contact,

If the Holosun does cool stuff like that, maybe I should RTFM for once.
Old 01-15-2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoduel View Post
I fiddled with it sans battery before it was on the Glock, never after. Worked great on solar only, as do the other HS solar devices I have. The battery change procedure is the only gripe I have with it so far and it does have a few advantages as they implemented it. Overall I'd rather have a weatherproof cover like the Nikon but this way is OK.

EDIT:

To be fair I never tried it with a DEAD battery. I suspect it works just like with no battery but you never know.

Last edited by Deedle; 01-15-2019 at 1:37 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I fiddled with it sans battery before it was on the Glock, never after. Worked great on solar only, as do the other HS solar devices I have.
Yeah, I had no idea it could do that.
Old 01-15-2019, 7:58 PM

Vortex Venom arrived today, installed to S&W 629

about 1.25 inch from bore center to dot.
Old 01-16-2019, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk20398 View Post
Vortex Venom arrived today, installed to S&W 629

about 1.25 inch from bore center to dot.
I was thinking of doing this with my GP 100 for a time.
Old 01-16-2019, 7:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I was thinking of doing this with my GP 100 for a time.
Might be a fun way to modernize my Model 28 4"... but don't think I'd do it. The way I shoot it (slow SA) and the decent irons on it, I don't think it could be any more accurate.
Old 01-16-2019, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHavasu View Post

Works good. I also fitted a mil spec 1911 with an adapter from amazon.

You can go to Brownells and get a milled upper for your Glock. If I shot a glock, this is what I would do.

Last edited by mike.h; 01-17-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Old 01-16-2019, 8:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
Works good. I also filled a mil spec 1911 with an adapter from amazon.

You can go to either Midway or Brownells and get a milled upper for your Glock. If I shot a glock, this is what I would do.
Yeah there are tons of options from decent to cheapo these days - complete slides including a barrel and sights installed cut for RMR from $299.

http://sovereignguns.com/index.php?m...index&cPath=86

Rockslides would most likely be the CHEAPO option, but posted for example. I don't have one.
Old 01-16-2019, 8:10 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Those of you with RMR flickering issues... I assume they are Type 01s? I had the same issue with mine and a Battlewerx anti flickering plate solved that problem. Haven't had a hiccup ever since.
Old 01-16-2019, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
Those of you with RMR flickering issues... I assume they are Type 01s? I had the same issue with mine and a Battlewerx anti flickering plate solved that problem. Haven't had a hiccup ever since.
Yeah I was going to order three plates but the two I have on Glocks with the Trijicon flat seal plates haven't acted up yet... the one on the Q5 slide didn't have any plate... it'll probably end up on a G19... so I might as well get the BW plate for it and order a couple extra just in case.

I was so mad at the RMR on the Q5 I ordered a HS507C instead of more parts that cost extra for an RMR, hahah. Yeah it is a RM06.

Last edited by crufflers; 01-16-2019 at 8:22 AM..
Old 01-16-2019, 8:26 AM
YOU are next!!

Holosun supposedly has a 508t coming out soon. Titanium housing super strong. No white logo.
Old 01-16-2019, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
Holosun supposedly has a 508t coming out soon. Titanium housing super strong. No white logo.
The 507 is already nearly as much as an Trijicon, I dunno how the math works out if they bump up the price. I guess Trijicon was a no name outfit once too.
Old 01-16-2019, 8:39 AM
Banned

So the Chinese are doing all the innovating now? That's not a good sign. Lol.
Old 01-16-2019, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
So the Chinese are doing all the innovating now? That's not a good sign. Lol.
I'd rather see Chinese knives and red dots everywhere than Chinese web-connected HD security cameras everywhere including government and military buildings. I wouldn't say they are innovating, but the HS507C is significantly less cost than a RMR. Pretty easy to find one @ $280 shipped IMHO.

Solar panels on the RDS I could take it or leave it... more than one reticle is nice, but not innovative since Holosight gen1. RMR form factor and mount pattern certainly not innovative copying Trijicon.

I'm hoping the HS lasts. It is my first time trying HS. Trij is tough, yeah. But Trij nickel and dimes you for stuff they should include like a seal plate (with battleworx bump), low mount, some kind of cover, for Pete's sake. Give me a basic mount with spacer, keep your cool box and give me cardboard. Got four of those cool looking boxes on a shelf and they hold manuals and torx.
Old 01-16-2019, 9:30 AM
Banned

Yes, right. I was making more of a general statement.
If you went to a gun show from 10 years ago or so, you'd always see that table selling cheap Chinese optics that you know would break within a few rounds of use. Now, it's different.
Old 01-16-2019, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Yes, right. I was making more of a general statement.
If you went to a gun show from 10 years ago or so, you'd always see that table selling cheap Chinese optics that you know would break within a few rounds of use. Now, it's different.
Yeah I hear you. Even the cheap ones work pretty good till you bump them. Definitely bust open if you drop a rifle and the sight hits the safe door frame. I would not want to do that to my Aimpoint, but I know it would work fine afterwards. IMHO, HS is no Aimpoint. Trijicon is no Aimpoint. The real bargain is still Aimpoint PRO. They look funny on a Glock though.
Old 01-16-2019, 9:42 AM
YOU are next!!

Might be a little late but these guys know their stuff when it comes to RDS on pistols, so I hope this information is useful
https://blog.suarezinternational.com...-red-dots.html
Old 01-16-2019, 9:42 AM

Quote:
... the HS507C is significantly less cost than a RMR. Pretty easy to find one @ $280 shipped IMHO.
On the flip side the last RMR I bought was $305, but that's not typical.

Quote:
Solar panels on the RDS I could take it or leave it...
For some reason not NEEDING a battery is a big deal to me. No good reason I guess.

Quote:
I'm hoping the HS lasts. It is my first time trying HS.
I have several, maybe 4-5 other HS solars but this is my first mini-rides-on-the-slide HS, so I'm cautiously optimistic. All of them have been flawless so far although they have been 'upgrading' the way the buttons work over the years and the new ones are a lot less fiddly.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For some reason not NEEDING a battery is a big deal to me. No good reason I guess.
I like irons if a battery dies... but I guess on the Q5 slide where I have no rear sights, I have that solar backup. When I buy a gun I order spare mags while I wait 10 days... for a RDS I order 5 or 10 spare batteries. If it something like a CR2032, I probably have 30 spares.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
If it something like a CR2032, I probably have 30 spares.
They have a use before date and last a year, so I generally keep only 6 or so on hand for that reason. The CR2 and CR123 I have about the same but I also have some rechargeables.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the battery part is what keeps me waffling from buying the RMR RM04 which is their fiber optic / tritium powered sight.

like their reflex red dot that uses the same tech, the same issues applies. will wash out if you aim from the shadow to a bright area. and at night, the tritium may not be bright enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 01-16-2019, 12:05 PM

glock slide cut for red dot:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod107977.aspx