Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Glock 42 heavy trigger issue

My buddy bought a G42 via a PPT a few months back. It was in new condition. The trigger was rather heavy so he had me check it with my digital gage and it came in at 9.8 lbs. I read that the trigger should be 5.5 lbs. Can he buy a lighter drop in trigger for his 42? Is the "Ghost Edge" connector worth a shot?

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Terminator2; 01-14-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 11:10 AM

https://www.glockstore.com/Double-Di...tor-for-G42-43
Old 01-14-2019, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info. In my first post I forgot to ask about the Ghost Edge product. Is the one you referred me to at the Glock store one that you have tried?

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM

Double diamond connector above would be cheaper, but Hyve Technologies makes a really great trigger for the G42 also. Should be under warranty, he could also send back to Glock and have them check it....
Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks, I'll check that out because he's not too keen on the idea of shipping his gun off.

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I would first examine the gun to ensure the proper original trigger is there. This could be a case of bad amateur gunsmithing.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 AM

in full disclosure I have not used the product I linked, just wanted to show you an example that on glocks it's easy enough to change that connector bar and leave the trigger otherwise unchanged. that's true with all models not just the little g42.

i do have a G42 and never had a problem with the trigger. I never measured it but it sure doesn't feel like 9 lbs to me. it's not what I would call a great trigger, but it's always been good enough IMHO

never felt the need to mess with trigger on any pistols I have shot
Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 AM

I put the Ghost Edge in mine and it was a dramatic improvement in pull weight over the (early model) factory 8# connector. He could also try the Glock oem 5.5# connector if he wants to use factory part..

https://www.glockparts.com/custom/glsp33564.htm
https://www.glockparts.com/custom/GHO-42.htm
Old 01-14-2019, 11:37 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The G43 came with a lighter connector, and it is swapable to the G42.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

More good advice. Thanks! Is the 43 oem connector 5.5# like the newer 42 oem connector?

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2019, 12:03 PM

^^ I believe the early model 43’s also came standard with the factory 8# connector, and Glock released the 5.5# connector ~ late 2016.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you to all who responded for your suggesions and advice. Much appreciated!

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM

This was very informative.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/ho...42-43.1648175/

The two best parts to replace:

FIRING PIN SAFETY PLUNGER SPRING: The FP safety spring is the first spring you need to replace if you want to smooth out and reduce the trigger pull weight on the G42/43. Ghost makes a reduced power FP safety spring you can use that is effective and reliable.

FIRING PIN (STRIKER) SPRING: The FP (striker) spring is the biggest culprit that causes the heavy trigger pull weight on the G42/43. The FP (striker) spring used by Glock on the G42/43 is their standard 5.5lb FP (striker) spring, the same as used in all Glocks Gen 1-4 and believe it or not, the G42/43.

Now, conventional wisdom tells you if you used the same 5.5lb FP (striker) spring that is used in all Glocks Gen 1-4, the trigger pull weight would be 5-6lbs. Well, that would be true if the FP (striker) was the exact same size in all Glocks, including the G42/43. But, that’s not the case.

The FP (striker) is relatively shorter in the G42/43 than it is in other Glocks Gen 1-4, but Glock uses the exact same FP (striker) spring in the G42/43 that they use in all other Glocks! Needless to say, if you compress a 5.5lb spring on to a shorter FP (striker), you will increase the weight of the trigger pull by as much as 2-3lbs!!

Hope it helps you out.
Old 01-14-2019, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah something is up if the trigger is at that pull weight. I’d inspect all internals first.
Old 01-14-2019, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

That’s pretty high, but Glock test their triggers at the bottom of the trigger. So if you are testing in the middle you will have a higher reading then what Glock advertises.

My 43 came in at 6.5 stock, went down to 4.8 with just a DD connector.

When I was ordering some parts from APEX for some M&P’s I decided to buy and test one of their Glock connectors. Compared to others it was a bargain at $15, I put it in a gen 4 19 and got a trigger weight of 4.3 and really like the feel of it. Should say I’m a fan of the minus connector and like that feel, some don’t.

I test at the bottom for consistency and realize that the weight is actually a little higher then my readings, but we really don’t want a striker fire carry gun with a sub 4.5 to 5 lb trigger anyway.
Old 01-14-2019, 1:56 PM

I suspect the G42 in the OP has the originally-supplied connector, which is no longer even available. Many customers found the originally-supplied connector too heavy and not meeting the expected 5.5 pound pull. Glock discontinued the original, unmarked connector and made the "minus" 33564 connector the standard, supplied connector. The subject G42 is likely an older version manufactured approximately within the first year of introduction or otherwise has the older version of the connector in it.

Glock's latest standard connector for the G42 is part number 33564 and is marked with both a "minus" symbol and the number "33564" on the connector. The number can't be seen unless completely removed from the trigger mechanism housing.

Although I don't have a G42, a Ghost "Edge" connector for the G42/43 was very similar in feel to a stock Glock 33564 connector in my G43.

Here's one source for the Glock-brand connector:

As another poster mentioned, however, after taking the subject G42 apart, anything could be found for the heavy trigger pull.
Old 01-14-2019, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
I suspect the G42 in the OP has the originally-supplied connector, which is no longer even available. Many customers found the originally-supplied connector too heavy and not meeting the expected 5.5 pound pull. Glock discontinued the original, unmarked connector and made the "minus" 33564 connector the standard, supplied connector. The subject G42 is likely an older version manufactured approximately within the first year of introduction or otherwise has the older version of the connector in it.

Glock's latest standard connector for the G42 is part number 33564 and is marked with both a "minus" symbol and the number "33564" on the connector. The number can't be seen unless completely removed from the trigger mechanism housing.

Although I don't have a G42, a Ghost "Edge" connector for the G42/43 was very similar in feel to a stock Glock 33564 connector in my G43.

Here's one source for the Glock-brand connector:

As another poster mentioned, however, after taking the subject G42 apart, anything could be found for the heavy trigger pull.

The connector may be the issue, however I personally found that the infamous .50 cent trigger job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XJxltxvAo4

lowered the pull weight on mine, which also had a very high initial pull weight, to below the 5.5lb claimed weight.

Look at a couple videos and usual a little self-control and common sense.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 01-14-2019, 4:34 PM

I had the opposite experience with a Glock I bought PPT off this forum years ago.

It was a Glock 30sf and never tested trigger before bought it-- looked great/like new and came w 6 mags.

Once brought it home I realized trigger must have been messed with somehow cause pull was 3.5 lbs on my electronic gauge. It's not my HD gun and I do not have CCW so I don't mind it at all.

Just a range gun for me and actually helps my groups w that light trigger-- I'd never carry it that way though.

Lot of people mess w their Glock triggers. Before buying after market kit I'd have somebody look at it to see exactly what was done to make it so heavy.

Last edited by timbo399; 01-14-2019 at 4:41 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

More good ideas and advice. Thanks all!

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2019, 6:32 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billped View Post
I would first examine the gun to ensure the proper original trigger is there. This could be a case of bad amateur gunsmithing.
THIS ^^^^^

Parts could be installed wrong etc. Also check which connector is installed.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-14-2019 at 6:36 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 7:29 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Check the trigger spring.
First thing I thought too, make sure it isn’t installed upside down! But then I remembered that Glock 42 uses Gen 5 style trigger spring, and it is different than Gen 2/3/4 Glocks. It is not an S spring.

Also AFAIK, there are no NY triggers for Glock 42/43.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-14-2019 at 7:38 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 8:03 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Great supplier for the updated connector here, $8.76 shipped no tax
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-33564...3/312027550277

But check first to make sure you don’t already have it.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks once again gents! The wealth of gun knowledge shared here is remarkable and I'm fortunate to have you all offer and share your knowledge!

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-15-2019, 5:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafbloggerdanny View Post
...never felt the need to mess with trigger on any pistols I have shot
BOOM. This. ^^^

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 01-15-2019, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
My buddy bought a G42 via a PPT a few months back. It was in new condition. The trigger was rather heavy so he had me check it with my digital gage and it came in at 9.8 lbs. I read that the trigger should be 5.5 lbs. Can he buy a lighter drop in trigger for his 42? Is the "Ghost Edge" connector worth a shot?
It must have been faulty.

I've shot 4 different G42s and the triggers were fine - same force as the G17
Old 01-22-2019, 12:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got the Glock store Double Diamond connector and installed it. Trigger now just under 6#! Very nice! Very happy. Thanks again to all who gave their input.

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-22-2019, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post

L-2's post is very relevant to your issue. I was in the same boat as I got one from the first batch.
You need to contact Glock and provide your serial number they will cross check and if your pistol is of the older batch and has the original connector, then they will send you the factory OEM redesigned minus connector free of charge if it was not provided already previously.

The only catch is that you have to be a Glock Certified Armorer to receive the parts, or you can ask an armorer to contact them on your behalf.
For the record I am not an armorer.
Old 01-22-2019, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out because he's not too keen on the idea of shipping his gun off.
Join GSSF, go to a match and have the onsite Glock armorer check it out.

OR, find out when the next GSSF match is and just show up and ask the onsite armorer to check it out. I don't recall being asked for GSSF membership.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 01-22-2019, 2:26 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I just tested an original connector (which was already installed) and new minus connector in a brand new old stock G42 - using a pull gauge and seat of the pants feel. It made barely any difference, maybe about a pound.

Also to the OP - how you use a gauge on a Glock trigger makes a big difference. Where the finger of the gauge is positioned on the trigger shoe (high or low) and the direction of pull (straight back or at a slight downward angle) can add up to an easy two or three pounds of difference on the gauge, maybe more. The pull gauge will get a lot more leverage as you move down the trigger shoe. Therefore, comparing results to other people or even to the factory is a crap shoot.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-22-2019 at 2:29 PM..
Old 01-22-2019, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I put a complete kit like this in mine (and retained the original parts) and love it. There are cheaper options, but I didn't want to mix parts

https://www.glockstore.com/Pyramid-T...or-G42-and-G43

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run