Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-13-2019, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Default firearm finish

after 4 years of carrying, my 1911 is showing plenty of wear in some areas, any idea what will hold up better? or what to refinish it with?"

Old 01-13-2019, 9:58 PM

I like it. Looks like a tool that is actually used. Character Mark's. I do love the blueing jobs people post that czcustom shop or cajun. Gun works contracts out to. Cerakote might hold up better with sweat from the skin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2019, 9:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Wear marks like those shown in the photos are nothing to be concerned about. They give the weapon some character.

Just rub it down periodically with a gun cloth and you'll be just fine.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Hard Chrome!

Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

^ I like it
Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I was going to suggest Severns Hard Hat. But according to their FB page things are shut down while they relocate their shop. But if you're not in a hurry, then keep them in mind.

https://www.facebook.com/severnscustom/

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-14-2019, 4:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by claylakers View Post
^ I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
I like it. Looks like a tool that is actually used. Character Mark's. I do love the blueing jobs people post that czcustom shop or cajun. Gun works contracts out to. Cerakote might hold up better with sweat from the skin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Wear marks like those shown in the photos are nothing to be concerned about. They give the weapon some character.

Just rub it down periodically with a gun cloth and you'll be just fine.

I have to agree. I love a properly worn pistol. It shows you actually use it. It’s a badge to be worn proudly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-14-2019, 4:56 AM
Veteran Member

Why would you want to cover those up...?Common guns are meant to be shot and used not safe queens
Old 01-14-2019, 5:03 AM
Calguns Addict

the "next" owner might not appreciate it as much.............
Old 01-14-2019, 5:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
Then they don't deserve it! Probably worth more with the honest wear than with a refinish.
Old 01-14-2019, 6:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
At least you didn't drop it on the carpet!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-14-2019, 6:37 AM
Veteran Member

Dip it in gold...
Old 01-14-2019, 7:01 AM
Veteran Member

Even though that does not look too bad for a few years of carry, Check your holster(s) first. There are some marks on that gun indicating rough surfaces inside your holster and/or you slam the gun into the holster harshly.
If you use a kydex holster, don't. Kydex is cheap and scrapes the finish off of guns. Good for mall ninja and tacticool use with polymer guns, if at all.

That said, Melonite and DLC are nice and durable finishes. I'm not a fan of beat up looking guns unless one is just coming back from a war with them.

Last edited by heidad01; 01-14-2019 at 7:05 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

no need to refinish , it will just wear again in the same spot for a carry gun

I agree, it's a tool, those are normal use marks, a mechanic doesnt refinish his tools because they look used
Old 01-14-2019, 7:26 AM

Good honest wear looks good. However I've had duty guns finished in "Hard Chrome" for durability.
Old 01-14-2019, 7:31 AM

NOW it looks like a 1911.
Old 01-14-2019, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

i had great luck with CCR Refinishing, Grayguns and Robar and would not hesitate to recommend any of them.

I guess a lot depends on what "color"/finish/texture you prefer and what environment you work in. CCR has done 2 jobs for me, they repaired and refinished a shotgun that i used very heavily. It looks brand new maybe 20 years now. The Black finish that CCR did for me was perhaps 15 or more years ago and it's been great, after a number of classes you can see some wear areas but not much at all. They're great people to deal with and often run nice sales.

Many years ago Mr. Bruce Gray refinished a pistol for me in a finish called SuperBlack if i recall. A very good option as well that has held up very nicely and isn't as slick as NP3. He did a custom build for my Dad and it's gorgeous.

That's not to say that i didn't like the Robar NP3. The NP3 is a bit shiny and very slick which is what i really wanted.... so cleaning the pistol is an absolute breeze. I use this on a competition gun and it's perfect for that application.

I love the look of a great bluing job and would love to get a high grade pistol done in a high polish blue..... but for carry i don't think it would prove as durable.

To confuse the issue further, i always liked the way the Les Baer's wear...something about the bluing they use which doesn't completely wear away but somehow ages and softens over time.

I know some prefer cerakote, my experience wasn't all that favorable...at least aesthetically.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 01-14-2019 at 7:50 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 8:23 AM

Pvd coating. It's stronger than hard chrome and thinner so no issue with refitting parts. Several colors to pick from not just tin (gold). Altin (dark blue) nacro (medium to dark grey), zrn (white gold), ticn (lighter grey).
Old 01-14-2019, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

Character that thing has now!
Old 01-14-2019, 8:51 AM

Ford's in Florida. https://www.fordsguns.com/
Old 01-14-2019, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
i had great luck with CCR Refinishing, Grayguns and Robar and would not hesitate to recommend any of them.

I guess a lot depends on what "color"/finish/texture you prefer and what environment you work in. CCR has done 2 jobs for me, they repaired and refinished a shotgun that i used very heavily. It looks brand new maybe 20 years now. The Black finish that CCR did for me was perhaps 15 or more years ago and it's been great, after a number of classes you can see some wear areas but not much at all. They're great people to deal with and often run nice sales.

Many years ago Mr. Bruce Gray refinished a pistol for me in a finish called SuperBlack if i recall. A very good option as well that has held up very nicely and isn't as slick as NP3. He did a custom build for my Dad and it's gorgeous.

That's not to say that i didn't like the Robar NP3. The NP3 is a bit shiny and very slick which is what i really wanted.... so cleaning the pistol is an absolute breeze. I use this on a competition gun and it's perfect for that application.

I love the look of a great bluing job and would love to get a high grade pistol done in a high polish blue..... but for carry i don't think it would prove as durable.

To confuse the issue further, i always liked the way the Les Baer's wear...something about the bluing they use which doesn't completely wear away but somehow ages and softens over time.

I know some prefer cerakote, my experience wasn't all that favorable...at least aesthetically.

Yes, Les Baer is one of the few blued 1911’s in California. And I wholeheartedly agree with the way they age!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-14-2019, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
Even though that does not look too bad for a few years of carry, Check your holster(s) first. There are some marks on that gun indicating rough surfaces inside your holster and/or you slam the gun into the holster harshly.
If you use a kydex holster, don't. Kydex is cheap and scrapes the finish off of guns. Good for mall ninja and tacticool use with polymer guns, if at all.

That said, Melonite and DLC are nice and durable finishes. I'm not a fan of beat up looking guns unless one is just coming back from a war with them.
Kydex is the future, Grandpa.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post

While I don't disagree that an incorrectly-made kydex holster will put premature finish wear on a pistol, Kydex holsters are preferred in the IDPA, IPSC, and USPSA competition circuits on many 2011, CZ, 1911, etc. metal-framed pistols, with exception of the hyper-race rigs. But even then, the minimalist holsters are also made from polymer... Kydex is used widely for CCW purposes also for retention security (leather, even IWB ones do not retain the pistol well with age). I'm sure some leather users will argue "my leather holster has been with me for X number of decades and it holds just fine", but I still believe while nothing will beat leather in terms of beauty, kydex is still better for hard use.

Last edited by pklin1297; 01-14-2019 at 12:03 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
Kydex is the future, Grandpa.
It may very well be your future sonny.
Old 01-14-2019, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks pretty good to me.

Hardchrome does really well to hide wear, the high spots get shinier but doesn't look as worn as the darker finishes. I'd vote to leave it. Only consider refinishing if it starts to rust in the worn spots.
Old 01-14-2019, 5:10 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Industrial Hard Chrome by Accurate Plating & Weaponry, years of carry in a leather IWB holster with full grain liner

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-14-2019 at 5:13 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What “next owner?” Never sell your guns. Only purchase them.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><