Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-15-2018, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Some Chinese Food For My T53

I spied a wooden crate in a gun shop a couple weeks ago filled with Chinese food.

Brought it home for my hungry T53

Should be fun but I know it will just be hungry an hour after I feed it

Old 05-15-2018, 8:29 PM

How much are crates going for these days?
Old 05-16-2018, 3:53 AM

Nice! I've fed my Mosins stroganoff, goulash, and stuff from the Balkans/Central Europe, as well as home-made, but never Chinese
Old 05-16-2018, 7:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My M39 loves Chinese food...

36 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A of treachery...
Old 05-16-2018, 8:30 AM

Never seen Chinese x54r ammo - cool find! (nice rifle too!)
Old 05-16-2018, 8:36 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I am more interested in hearing about that minty looking T53. You don't see those come up for sale, well, ever. Is it all matching?
Old 05-16-2018, 9:02 AM

interesting that the marking on that crate are for AK ammo, not MN ammo. Maybe it was repacked? The Chinese ammo was brass until around the mid to late fifties. The ammo is for the type 53 like on the packets shown. The crate is marked type 56 for the SKS. Chinese ammo in clips came in 300 round cans, and the stuff without clips in typical 440 tins.
Old 05-16-2018, 9:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I am more interested in hearing about that minty looking T53. You don't see those come up for sale, well, ever. Is it all matching?
Yes sir, all matching except for butt plate which is unnumbered but from my understanding that is "correct" for this year.

This rifle is all thanks to 81turbota who saw my despair when I missed out on one that Louie had for sale at Costa Mesa Crossroads.

James pm'd me a link to a poorly described gunbroker auction and I actually passed on it because the butt plate wasn't numbered. Then I did some research and found that is likely correct for this year and the rifle didn't sell and had been re-listed again at same price. I think I picked it up for $350 IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
interesting that the marking on that crate are for AK ammo, not MN ammo. Maybe it was repacked? The Chinese ammo was brass until around the mid to late fifties. The ammo is for the type 53 like on the packets shown. The crate is marked type 56 for the SKS. Chinese ammo in clips came in 300 round cans, and the stuff without clips in typical 440 tins.
Yeah kinda makes me wonder what is in the unopened tin. My LGS knows that I'll buy pretty much anything in a wooden crate that comes through the door so I snagged this as soon as it came in. Got it for a good price so doesn't really matter to me what surprise is in the box

Last edited by huntingsocal; 05-16-2018 at 9:17 AM..
Old 05-16-2018, 9:19 AM

Ok, the crate has 550 round tins of SKS ammo in clips. That's exactly what's in that crate. Late Vietnam surplus made in 73.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:01 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post
I think I picked it up for $350 IIRC
Ya stole it!

When I finally tracked one down, the price was good, but the seller was difficult to deal with. My sketchy radar was going off as we worked out the deal. For anything common, I would have popped smoke and looked elsewhere. I am trying to recall the specifics, but I just remember not feeling confident about the whole thing. It actually did work out, and the T53 was entirely satisfactory. I would not sell it ever, not because it is anything super special, but because I could probably never find another one.

I have had a long term quest to acquire high grade all matching Mosin carbines in the following flavors:

Russian M44 Izhevsk
Russian M44 Tula
Russian M38
Russian / Czech 91/38
Russian 91/59
Yugo Rework M44
Polish M44
Romanian M44
Hungarian M44
Chinese Type 53

I now have most of them. Still need an M38, but haven't found a nice enough one yet. Tula M44's are elusive. 91/38's are hen's teeth and expensive in any condition.

If there are other carbines that I am missing, please don't tell me. This quest is already fast tracking me to the poor house.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That list looks pretty similar to mine. I didn't even know about the Yugo reworks until I saw the one you snagged on gunboards.

I've actually been looking for a M38 for a while now too and picked one up from the same guy I got this Israeli from. Haven't had a chance to take pics yet. It isn't in superb condition but it isn't a beater either.

I always make it a point to ask sellers if they have anything else they'll be putting up for sale soon and I've acquired quite a few "off market" deals that way. Often helps with shipping too if they can be combined

I also didn't know about 91/38s either until, on a whim, a friend and I decided to go to Costa Mesa Crossroads a few months back and I met a fine gentleman with one at his table who told me all about them. I figured since I hadn't heard about them, I'd probably not have another opportunity any time soon so it came home with me

Old 05-16-2018, 12:18 PM

If I had known that Type 53s would have gone up so much, I would have bought them by the crate when they were selling for $50 each. I do remember paying a premium for my two all matching Type 53s, $100 each, but that was back in 2008. I did manage to pick up Chinese takeout for my Type 53s. I snagged two tins for $50 because the guy said he didnít know what kind of ammo was in the cans.
Hereís my small collection of Mosin carbines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971ACD8-A3B4-45C4-85D8-A6C7B4D4FB7B.jpg (16.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 6E725208-6DC3-4C34-9DF6-ED9EE09D7DD0.jpg (17.3 KB, 16 views)
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
GySgt G.L.Bihm USMC
Old 05-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyUSMC View Post
If I had known that Type 53s would have gone up so much, I would have bought them by the crate when they were selling for $50 each. I do remember paying a premium for my two all matching Type 53s, $100 each, but that was back in 2008. I did manage to pick up Chinese takeout for my Type 53s. I snagged two tins for $50 because the guy said he didnít know what kind of ammo was in the cans.
Hereís my small collection of Mosin carbines.
Thanks for sharing that collection! It was only about 3 years ago that Type 53's were abundant and routinely sold for >$100. However, they were in atrociously bad condition. Even at that killer price, the one I had was such an ugly mutt that the rest of the collection revolted and demanded its removal.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Every once in a while I see someone selling those green and white boxes of "China Sports" x39 ammo or that silver boxed Norinco x39 ammo. It used to be stacked deep and sold cheap at Turners all the time.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Every once in a while I see someone selling those green and white boxes of "China Sports" x39 ammo or that silver boxed Norinco x39 ammo. It used to be stacked deep and sold cheap at Turners all the time.
Tons of em at their old warehouse off reservoir and the 60 in Chino.
Last one I bought there was $179
Old 05-16-2018, 1:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
Ok, the crate has 550 round tins of SKS ammo in clips. That's exactly what's in that crate. Late Vietnam surplus made in 73.
Upon further inspection there are two different tins in the crate.

One unopened with rounded corners (sks food) most of the green paint is long gone but I can make out the "550" stamp on one side

The other one, opened, with angled corners has two different types of 7.62x54r

Loose packed, copper looking cases with headstamps of "71" and "87"

The other in the paper wrap tied up with a bow, brass cased with headstamps that looks like "31" and "56"

Old 05-16-2018, 4:43 PM

the one on the left is lead core, with a bimetal jacket. The one one the right is the classic Russian style LPS, steel core. The brass Chinese ammo from 51, and 52, and very early 53 was non magnetic. All the rest is magnetic.
Old 05-16-2018, 5:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

good to know, thanks louie!
Old 05-17-2018, 7:38 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

The relatively unpleasant recoil of the 54R round is what has sustained the surplus availability over the past few years, in my estimation. I horded several thousand rounds of it when I first got into Mosins to future proof the ability to shoot them cheaply far into the future.

And yet, this nancy boy with the delicate shoulder never goes through more 150-200 rounds of the stuff a year.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
And yet, this nancy boy with the delicate shoulder never goes through more 150-200 rounds of the stuff a year.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
But Iíll have enough ammo to last me till Iím 140
Old 05-17-2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
The relatively unpleasant recoil of the 54R round is what has sustained the surplus availability over the past few years, in my estimation. I horded several thousand rounds of it when I first got into Mosins to future proof the ability to shoot them cheaply far into the future.

Sanitary napkin under the shirt.. No one will know it's there..
Old 05-18-2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post
Upon further inspection there are two different tins in the crate.

One unopened with rounded corners (sks food) most of the green paint is long gone but I can make out the "550" stamp on one side

The other one, opened, with angled corners has two different types of 7.62x54r

Loose packed, copper looking cases with headstamps of "71" and "87"

The other in the paper wrap tied up with a bow, brass cased with headstamps that looks like "31" and "56"

AFTE (Association of Firearms and Toolmark Examiners) list both head stamps 31 and 71 as Chinese manufactured ammo.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
GySgt G.L.Bihm USMC