Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-11-2018, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Default Henry AR-7 Anybody own one?

This in one form or another have been around for a while: Pro's Con's I may have asked this earlier just bought one but been watching them for a long time.

Old 05-11-2018, 8:30 AM

I owned the Henry AR7 and my buddy owned a charter arms ar7. Cool concept, crappy design. Mine had a round count of 500, it shot pretty accurate.. Sights are good but the overall rifle just felt wierd when shouldered. I had some fte and ftf issues with the ar7. My buddys Charter Arms Ar7 was garbage. It always FTE and FTF. He also did a polish job on the trigger, and some how it would shoot 3 rounds at once. My suggestion, i would spend more than 125 on the gun. If anything more Inwould just buy a TD22

*note this did not happen in the state of CA*
Old 05-11-2018, 8:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Henry is junk

Get ar7 industries, a charter arms or an armalite
Old 05-11-2018, 9:56 AM

One of the first rifles I bought. Didn't know anything and thought that's interesting. Still have it, but haven't shot it in years. More of a novelty. Probably better off buying a 10/22 takedown.
Old 05-11-2018, 9:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Innaccurate survival 22 . Never liked mine and got rid of it.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM

I have a Charter Arms AR-7, never had an issue but I don't shoot it much. May be 200 rds. Accuracy was decent considering the crappy sight and trigger.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:21 AM

Never owned one but shot one of the older models many times a friend had. It's an ok rifle , nothing spectacular imho. I guess it's cool that everything fits inside but then you have to put it all together as well.

Rather a Marlin 60 or better yet the 10/22 Takedown that I do own now. Yes you have to put the TD together but it's an easier process , no hatch to open.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:33 AM

I have the charter arms ar7, it is alright. I also have the 10/22 takedown. The ar7 is much lighter and much more compact. For a trunk gun or a SHTF get home gun I would prefer it over others
Old 05-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Marlin is making the 70PSS (Papoose) again. It only weighs 3.25 pounds versus 3.5 pounds for the AR-7. I'd recommend the 70PSS any day over the AR-7 for a takedown survival rifle.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 05-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

I have seven other 22 rifles and two 17HMR rifles thought this would make a neat travel compact rifle. Range trip in the near future.

Old 05-11-2018, 1:02 PM

The Papoose and the 10/22 takedown are leagues ahead of the AR-7 - I’ve played with the AR-7 a few times, but was never impressed with how they handled and shot. Niche gun that isn’t intended for regular use.
Old 05-11-2018, 1:06 PM

I have a Charter AR7. The platform has a poor reputation with feeding issues, which can be from folks using the mag as a rest. On mine, I put a strip of sticky backed Velcro on the bottom of the mag well, to keep slight up angle on the feed lips.

I had a short plastic fore arm, that the barrel channel was the same profile as the AR7 barrel. I hogged out a chunk to allow for the lock nut & notched it to snuggly slide back on the receiver a little, then put Velcro on the barrel and in the fore arm bed. I put another piece on the stock, just behind the wrist, so when you broke it down, you could stick the fore arm to the stock, and stow the rifle as designed.

When assembled to shoot, the rifle is supported in a normal fashion. The set up works good, both mods helped to eliminate/minimize the jam-o-matic aspect. I built it to throw in the flying machine, in case I had to make a forced landing in enemy territory, like an Israeli pilot might. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 05-11-2018, 2:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
I have a Charter AR7. The platform has a poor reputation with feeding issues, which can be from folks using the mag as a rest. On mine, I put a strip of sticky backed Velcro on the bottom of the mag well, to keep slight up angle on the feed lips.

I had a short plastic fore arm, that the barrel channel was the same profile as the AR7 barrel. I hogged out a chunk to allow for the lock nut & notched it to snuggly slide back on the receiver a little, then put Velcro on the barrel and in the fore arm bed. I put another piece on the stock, just behind the wrist, so when you broke it down, you could stick the fore arm to the stock, and stow the rifle as designed.

When assembled to shoot, the rifle is supported in a normal fashion. The set up works good, both mods helped to eliminate/minimize the jam-o-matic aspect. I built it to throw in the flying machine, in case I had to make a forced landing in enemy territory, like an Israeli pilot might. PAX
And the Israeli's did just that.

They modified AR-7's and made them for pilots as survival rifles... Used FN FAL grips, K98 front sight protectors and UZI slings.

The stock collapsed and the pistol grip was detachable from the action. Two extra mags are stored in the sheet metal butt. The pistol grip has a rubber cap and was used to store extra ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I love my Henry Golden Boy. Or, if you are cheap get the H001.
Old 05-12-2018, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Marlin is making the 70PSS (Papoose) again. It only weighs 3.25 pounds versus 3.5 pounds for the AR-7. I'd recommend the 70PSS any day over the AR-7 for a takedown survival rifle.

I didn't know that. I may have to get one of those.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 05-15-2018, 1:59 PM

Never had a problem with FTF or FTE. I shot Minimags from the start to break it in.

Did have a problem with the plastic action spring guide breaking. Called customer service on a Friday afternoon and got Mr. Imperato himself who told me they had a batch of poorly hardened ones. He sent me out a couple no charge and no more breakage. After about 5000 rounds a dent started to form at the breach from the firing pin. Bulged into the barrel a bit so I spotted the dent with a tad of weld and smoothed it down, then smoothed the bulge. Also smoothed the top of the breach where catching can occur. Been fine ever since. Did find out that it is easy to remove the trigger group side plate by dry firing first to take the load off the springs and lift off the plate so the springs don't come with it. Easy to clean then. Probably added to the firing pin denting.

I take both my AR7 and TD10/22 to the range. Personally I like the Henry better but the barrel gets hot. Hated the TD10/22 plastic stock so I bought walnut and put a scope on it for a tack driver. Still like shooting the Henry better. But I love both.

Then I found shotguns.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 05-15-2018, 8:16 PM

Probably prefer the 10/22 takedown... or now the Ruger PC9mm takedown.

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 05-15-2018 at 8:18 PM..
Old 05-17-2018, 2:55 PM

Have had Charter Arms version for years and learned that it loves CCI mini- mags and hates SV of any kind
Old 05-17-2018, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I had a Charter Arms AR-7 back in the late 70's. Lots of fun, pretty accurate, never had any issues as long as I used quality ammo.

Had it in the car when I was about 22 and during a traffic stop a LEO confiscated it claiming the barrel was too short making it an illegal SBR. His department refused to return it claiming it was a SBR. I showed up at the Chief's office with an Attorney and an ATF Agent and they released it to me. But not before they took a drift punch to the feed ramp and ruined it.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 05-17-2018, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Got mine late 70's at a Kmart in Virginia for 39$, had a punched hole in the stock. Got some Bondo and black paint and bam, 50$ gun, has and continues to work great, but I never liked the rear sight.

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 05-24-2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
Got mine late 70's at a Kmart in Virginia for 39$, had a punched hole in the stock. Got some Bondo and black paint and bam, 50$ gun, has and continues to work great, but I never liked the rear sight.
I quite like the position and style of the rear sight on the AR7. However I don't like the Ruger takedown folding rear sight so much I put a scope on the receiver.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 05-31-2018, 9:04 PM

I have one. Did a bunch of research before I bought it. Henry did a lot of improvements vs previous mfgs. Common feedback was to use only high velocity rounds and you won't have any issues so that's all I've been using - browning and CCI only and no problems. Factory sights had me hitting steel gongs at 125 yds. I like having everything self contained and it's pretty cool that it floats if you take it into the woods, but who's throwing their guns into lakes? I'm a pretty big guy with decent sized hands so holding it feels a little awkward. I'm gonna sell it bc of that but it's a super fun gun and everyone that's shot it had that stupid **** eating grin afterward
Old 05-31-2018, 10:43 PM

I have one as well. Got a nice deal on it. It even has a rail up top if I ever decided to do something silly like put a little scope on it.

I only have one complaint. The front sight is plastic and I can push it back and forth with a bit of pressure with my finger.

I have a few different kinds of .22, so I'm going to try them out and see what works.

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 06-11-2018, 9:32 AM

Charter from “Gemco”- doesn’t seem to like unjacketed or hp- otherwise it feeds ok. Really light- stock filled with styrofoam- my box has paperwork with rifle touts it as a backup for back country flying-able to float if dropped in river. I’m a decent sized guy- I feel like my Red Ryder BB gun was same size. Rear sight SUCKS- better shoot with both eyes open. I’d rather shoot my Steven’s bolt .22. Still keep it as it does pack nice and small and lite
Old 06-17-2018, 11:36 AM

Have a charter arms in jail right now. Heard lots of bad stuff but I got it for $40 so can't complain. Good to know the papoose is being made again! I'll check that out too
Old 06-17-2018, 6:39 PM

Not a Henry.

I have a original Armalite AR-7 i bought in a navy exchange in San Diego back in 1970.
Yes back in those days they did sell guns on base.
Old 06-24-2018, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
Not a Henry.

I have a original Armalite AR-7 i bought in a navy exchange in San Diego back in 1970.
Yes back in those days they did sell guns on base.
I recall those days I’ve bought from MCRD and few months back was at Nellis AFB had good selection of firearms including handguns

Old 06-26-2018, 1:39 AM

i have both a charter and a henry. it is what it is. and if you remember that? its a fine rifle. a packable, floatable, "survival" gun. It's not a precision tool, more a "toss in the trunk if ya need it"

my single shot savage model 3 will outshoot either. but? it doesn't float!

polish the feedramp, spend some time at the range, figure out which ammo YOURS likes. both mine are happy with CCI, both mine are unhappy with cci quiet, 555 economy boxes, etc...

i like the idea of the papoose, and will go look at them soon.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:00 PM

I shot 5000 rds+ thru my Henry AR-7. The typical feeding issues seemed mostly related to the magazine springs. It was a fine 25yd gun. Accuracy was limited by the trigger. I enjoyed assembling/disassembling it more than shooting it on each range trip. Later I traded it for a Marlin 925R to use at the 200yd range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2018, 5:19 PM

Just got home from putting a black Henry AR-7 survival rifle in 10 day jail.

Have always thought these were a cool concept, but stayed away due to the bad reputation the older models seem to have.

Looks like Henry figured it out finally, and a couple of employees at the store owned them as well. They had nothing but good things to say about them. The salesman did recommend running hotter clean ammo through it like CCI. Way less residue and fouling up of the action that way.

Stirred up quite the commotion in the store too- several other customers walked over when they saw me filling out the DROS paperwork and were asking about what it was as well and how cool the design was. lol

Seemed like a no brainer at only $249. Will be a fun little plinker.

Can't wait to pick it up in a couple weeks!
"I don't own them. I'm just their caretaker for a little while until they go on to the next caretaker. They aren't TOOLS.....they WERE tools but are now artifacts, implements of an earlier age that PRODUCED history and brought mankind's timeline to where it is at this moment. And as such, it is my responsibility to preserve them."
Old 06-30-2018, 8:05 PM

I've had one of the original Armalites since 1970, and picked up a second Armalite about 20 years ago.

Great little guns, never had a problem with mine.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post
The Henry is junk

Get ar7 industries, a charter arms or an armalite
The Henry version is NOT junk.

Either . . .

1. You used the wrong ammo.
2. Used the wrong magazines.
3. Or forward supported the rifle via the magazine - which will cause FTF.

. . . forward hold using the front of body and the barrel ring.

The Henry AR-7 will cycle almost flawlessly:

Quality Brass High Velocity (1235-1280 fps) CPLRN and CPLHP.

I've seen several people in the past 6 years struggle with a Henry AR-7...those willing to cooperate and not get defensive had their problems corrected by fixes 1-3 above.

Downsides:

1. It's a super duper light rifle. So you have to be somewhat more firm on the shoulder support so the recoil spring can do it's job. If you don't, it's kinda like limp wristing a leight weight semi-auto .22 pistol.

2. Even with match ammo and skilled hands, it's accurate to about a dollar coin at 50 yards.

3. Barrel can come loose, so check the ring over time.

4. Butt can expand / contract - it's possible to end up with a butt storage cap that doesn't stay on as securely as when it first came out of the box.

I've seen one person use FTE tape / Electrical tap wrapped one or twice to resolve this.

=8-)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM

The Henry version is well made. Mine has around 400 rounds through it and still works well. Mine prefers high velocity ammo. Everyone who shoots this rifle thinks it is cool, but awkward. The fun is mainly in putting it together and taking it apart!

For a true backwoods survival rifle the CZ452/455 youth Scout rifle is a mich better and much more accurate and durable choice. The Ruger Takedown 10-22 is also pretty good.

For ultralight get the Packrifle, weights around one pound, and about as accurate as the Henry Survival.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
One of the first rifles I bought. Didn't know anything and thought that's interesting. Still have it, but haven't shot it in years. More of a novelty. Probably better off buying a 10/22 takedown.
Buddy has the AR7 and I have a 10/22 takedown. The Henry is cool but the 10/22 out classes it. It's not as compact but it does accept 25 round mags.