Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-29-2018, 5:03 AM

i don't remember reading on here... but does SBSD have any issues with an RMR on the gun when you go to qual with it?

i'm sending mine off to get milled (with back up irons since it's a carry gun) but i don't want any issues with getting it approved to carry.
Old 06-29-2018, 6:34 PM
Seņor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
i don't remember reading on here... but does SBSD have any issues with an RMR on the gun when you go to qual with it?

i'm sending mine off to get milled (with back up irons since it's a carry gun) but i don't want any issues with getting it approved to carry.
No problem.
Anything that improves accuracy or reliability is encouraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-29-2018, 7:27 PM

Thank you!!!!
Old 07-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APeter001 View Post
Silly question... I made the money order to SB sheriffs for $122.00 and it is supposed to be $122.40
Do you think they will a) take cash for the $0.40, b) make me give them a money order for the additional $0.40, or ?
APPT's in mid-July
Hmmm....they emphasize following instructions. Especially at the range, but throughout the process too. What do you think they will do if you have not followed instructions?

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-02-2018, 7:25 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe it's frowned upon to have an RMR on your carry gun...however, if you're qualifying and carrying without it, I think it should be fine. It can be used negatively against you in court. I'm pretty sure I overheard one of the LEO's on range day tell someone that they shouldn't have it.

Quote:

Last edited by Carlow202; 07-02-2018 at 10:58 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 1:06 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlow202 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe it's frowned upon to have an RMR on your carry gun...however, if you're qualifying and carrying without it, I think it should be fine. It can be used negatively against you in court. I'm pretty sure I overheard one of the LEO's on range day tell someone that they shouldn't have it.
My instructor had one on his gun and his only concern was reliability and concealability.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-02-2018, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Well I'm not planning on spending the money to get the slide milled, buy an RMR and then not have it on the gun!?

I do plan on having back up iron sights on it. (although I've read that in a situation where you actually have to pull the gun and use it, you're not usually using ANY sights... rather you are pointing and shooting on instinct due to the adrenaline.... you don't line up your sights all nice and pretty like you do at the range....)
Old 07-02-2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
My instructor had one on his gun and his only concern was reliability and concealability.
ya.... i'm already looking at clothing differently! told my hubby I had to go shopping and get some flowy shirts!
Old 07-02-2018, 1:39 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
ya.... i'm already looking at clothing differently! told my hubby I had to go shopping and get some flowy shirts!
Darker colors help to reduce shadowing and the color showing through. Patterns help to break up the outline.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2018, 1:59 PM

I don't disagree with you at all, what you choose to carry and especially how you choose to spend your money. I'm just relaying what I heard at qualifications last week. I have a couple pistols with RMRs on it that i would rather carry but instead I choose to carry stock with night sights at most.

Just heard stories about prosecutors using every bit of detail to convince a jury that a shooting was unjustified and that they were "looking to shoot someone", even as simple as some night sights, paint jobs, custom engravings, etc...

Take it for what its worth

Quote:
Well I'm not planning on spending the money to get the slide milled, buy an RMR and then not have it on the gun!?

I do plan on having back up iron sights on it. (although I've read that in a situation where you actually have to pull the gun and use it, you're not usually using ANY sights... rather you are pointing and shooting on instinct due to the adrenaline.... you don't line up your sights all nice and pretty like you do at the range....)
Old 07-02-2018, 2:17 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
Just heard stories about prosecutors using every bit of detail to convince a jury that a shooting was unjustified and that they were "looking to shoot someone", even as simple as some night sights, paint jobs, custom engravings, etc...
These stories have floated around for years. Massad Ayoob has shared these stories as well.
When put on the spot, he has not been able to cite one court case where it made a difference in the outcome.
Some cited the case last year involving an AZ police officer who had a "You're F***ed" engraving on his AR dust cover, but the fact is that the engraving made zero difference in the case... it was ruled a "bad shoot" based on the evidence.
A good shoot is a good shoot and a bad shoot is a bad shoot. Nothing is going to change that unless you testify that "the gun went off" or "I didn't mean to shoot him".

These factors will come into play at the civil trial when the family goes after you. All your attorney needs to do is intelligently justify anything brought up. Modifications that enhance accuracy and reliability are encouraged by the instructors. They also strongly recommend that such work be performed by a qualified gunsmith. Obviously, maintenance items like recoil springs and magazine parts would not fall under that. Trigger work would.

In the end, the county is not responsible for our configuration, and is not liable for what we do while carrying. All legal responsibility lies 100% upon us. As long as your trigger work and modifications are "duty/carry" level, as opposed to "competition", you're good.

As far as things that show attitude, an engraving such as a "punisher" on an endplate or grips might make your attorney's job harder... best to avoid the drama that can be created by silly non-functional things.
RMR? That is a completely justified tool that enhances accuracy.

My advice to Pink Toaster would be to simply ask the instructor in class. She will get a straight answer from the instructor.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2018, 10:15 PM

Question for folks in the Victorville area: I was in the Hesperia Road branch of the Desert Community Bank the other day and noticed a no guns allowed sign posted on the door. It specifically included the bank lobby, the walk up ATM & the drive thro ATM. Its my understanding that such signs do not carry the weight of law, but you must leave if requested or risk a trespass charge. Does anyone know when DCB started posting their signs? Is this new since the Flagstar buy out? Or is this a common practice for banks that I've some how failed to notice before?
Old 07-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Seņor Member

I've not seen any at Wells Fargo or BofA
No experience with DCB

Quote:
Old 07-06-2018, 7:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelGunMagic View Post
Question for folks in the Victorville area: I was in the Hesperia Road branch of the Desert Community Bank the other day and noticed a no guns allowed sign posted on the door. It specifically included the bank lobby, the walk up ATM & the drive thro ATM. Its my understanding that such signs do not carry the weight of law, but you must leave if requested or risk a trespass charge. Does anyone know when DCB started posting their signs? Is this new since the Flagstar buy out? Or is this a common practice for banks that I've some how failed to notice before?
I bank with US Bank.

I tend to visit branches at the markets I shop. On the rare occasion that I need to go to my "branch" office I have not noticed any signs. AND, all of the branches local to me have metal detectors and one at a time locking doors that you must go through to get inside. Every time I go in I set off the metal detector. One of the tellers looks up at me, smiles and presses the button to let me in.

I personally don't look for signs saying "No Guns Allowed". I belt in my gun and go about my business. I used to be worried that someone was going notice that I was carrying and say something or worse call the local PD. No one seems to be looks at my big belly and just walks on by minding their own business.

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 07-06-2018, 8:54 PM

Thanks for the replies - I'm afraid I just don't get it tho. Since criminals tend to ignore the law, I doubt a sign will give them much reason to pause. The only sign I've seen recently that a bad guy might look twice at is the one on the door of my FFL - it reads "all employees are armed".

Its safer for both customers & employees if CCW holders are welcome, not only at banks, but in all business establishments. No offense to the private security guards at DCB, but I'm more comfortable with my ability to protect myself than with theirs.

Perhaps its time to switch banks - obviously DCB is no longer interested in my business. Or rather, I'm no longer interested in giving them my business.
Old 07-07-2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
These stories have floated around for years. Massad Ayoob has shared these stories as well.
When put on the spot, he has not been able to cite one court case where it made a difference in the outcome.
Some cited the case last year involving an AZ police officer who had a "You're F***ed" engraving on his AR dust cover, but the fact is that the engraving made zero difference in the case... it was ruled a "bad shoot" based on the evidence.
A good shoot is a good shoot and a bad shoot is a bad shoot. Nothing is going to change that unless you testify that "the gun went off" or "I didn't mean to shoot him".

These factors will come into play at the civil trial when the family goes after you. All your attorney needs to do is intelligently justify anything brought up. Modifications that enhance accuracy and reliability are encouraged by the instructors. They also strongly recommend that such work be performed by a qualified gunsmith. Obviously, maintenance items like recoil springs and magazine parts would not fall under that. Trigger work would.

In the end, the county is not responsible for our configuration, and is not liable for what we do while carrying. All legal responsibility lies 100% upon us. As long as your trigger work and modifications are "duty/carry" level, as opposed to "competition", you're good.

As far as things that show attitude, an engraving such as a "punisher" on an endplate or grips might make your attorney's job harder... best to avoid the drama that can be created by silly non-functional things.
RMR? That is a completely justified tool that enhances accuracy.

My advice to Pink Toaster would be to simply ask the instructor in class. She will get a straight answer from the instructor.
I don't plan to put any of those "watch for the flash" or "you're blanked" on my guns.... the one with the RMR will have a pink slide and grips (it's gotta be cerakoted after the mill work... so why not pink!?

I also don't have the "guarded by smith and wesson"... or "we don't shoot warning shots" type signs at our house... partially because it does look bad IMO and it also advertised to people there are guns inside....

i hope there is no issue with the RMR cuz by the time i get to class and range day it's going to be too late! actually... it's already too late since i aleady sent the slide off to get milled! so i hope there's no issues come range day!
Old 07-07-2018, 8:24 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
i hope there is no issue with the RMR cuz by the time i get to class and range day it's going to be too late! actually... it's already too late since i aleady sent the slide off to get milled! so i hope there's no issues come range day!
I don't believe there will be any issues. It would not hurt to call and talk to the detective that interviewed you to be sure.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2018, 7:20 AM

I have my interview on Friday. I should have everything I need - my wife has to stop by the Recorder's Office to get a copy of our marriage certificate today. That seems like an odd requirement since she does not shoot and will not be carrying a firearm. No firearms are in her name. Other than that, which should be obtained today, I have everything.

The only law enforcement contact was when we had an attempted break-in during December last year. No tickets in many years.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
I have my interview on Friday. I should have everything I need - my wife has to stop by the Recorder's Office to get a copy of our marriage certificate today. That seems like an odd requirement since she does not shoot and will not be carrying a firearm. No firearms are in her name. Other than that, which should be obtained today, I have everything.

The only law enforcement contact was when we had an attempted break-in during December last year. No tickets in many years.
Good luck. It will likely be pretty uneventful if you are prepared, as it should be.

And thanks for applying. The more CCW holders in this county the better. We are fortunate to have the Sheriff that we have.
Old 07-10-2018, 3:35 PM

I have the PO money orders. Do I fill it out simply SBSD or the full name San Bernardino Sheriff's Department? The instructions look like SBSD is sufficient.
Old 07-10-2018, 3:43 PM

SBSD is fine.
Old 07-10-2018, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have the PO money orders. Do I fill it out simply SBSD or the full name San Bernardino Sheriff's Department? The instructions look like SBSD is sufficient.
I just put SBSD on mine.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

Old 07-10-2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:

You'll do fine! The 'interview' is misnamed - its really just going over your paperwork. Just be sure to have everything they've asked for on their website.

They might ask a few questions, but as long as you're completely truthful, they're no sweat. They have to do their due diligence, but they want you to have your CCW!!

Let us know how it goes. And Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2018, 9:52 AM

The knowledge and expertise available on this forum are fantastic. Hopefully, a final question: If I wanted to change a gun listed on my original application, can I do so at the interview, at the range qualification or should I wait for renewal? (I have 3 guns listed for use under varying circumstances - a Ruger LCP, a Springfield XD-9 subcompact and a Commander. I would like to change the Commander to my CZ-75 as it has night sights, easier 10 round capacity, etc.)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The knowledge and expertise available on this forum are fantastic. Hopefully, a final question: If I wanted to change a gun listed on my original application, can I do so at the interview, at the range qualification or should I wait for renewal? (I have 3 guns listed for use under varying circumstances - a Ruger LCP, a Springfield XD-9 subcompact and a Commander. I would like to change the Commander to my CZ-75 as it has night sights, easier 10 round capacity, etc.)
Yes do it at the interview. Technically I think you can change it anytime before qualification as long as you give the Office staff time to run it.

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
That wasn't even addressed when I turned in my paperwork. I've purchased a new gun that's going on my permit that I didn't even have at the time I first signed up online.

I'll be putting in on my range card that get turned in on range day.
Old 07-11-2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelGunMagic View Post
You'll do fine! The 'interview' is misnamed - its really just going over your paperwork. Just be sure to have everything they've asked for on their website.

They might ask a few questions, but as long as you're completely truthful, they're no sweat. They have to do their due diligence, but they want you to have your CCW!!

Let us know how it goes. And Good Luck!
Right!?! I don't know why they just don't call it an appointment. But maybe it's to make it seem scarier than it is to those not in the know? I know I was kinda freaked out about the "interview" portion until hubby went and told me what it was all about.

My biggest concern was having ALL the CORRECT paperwork.

My appointment was more of a chitchat session with the various (super, super NICE) folks! I didn't get asked any additional questions.
Old 07-11-2018, 1:14 PM

I was wondering if less people are actually applying? Or if they've made less time slots available for turning in paperwork? I expected there to be one appointment after the next the day I went in, with one person filling in paperwork while another was going over their paperwork.... As it was, I was the only CCW person there at that time! I was a bit shocked.....
Old 07-11-2018, 6:58 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
That wasn't even addressed when I turned in my paperwork. I've purchased a new gun that's going on my permit that I didn't even have at the time I first signed up online.

I'll be putting in on my range card that get turned in on range day.
Yup.
Of the 3 I listed on my application, only one ended up on my permit. One of the three, I had picked up from Riflegear 2 weeks before my range date.

No need for advance notice... staff will run your SN after your range date.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:40 AM

The interview was just verifying that I had all the required paperwork, answer a couple questions about some of the answers I gave on the form, get my photo taken and get fingerprinted. Including wait times, I was out in less than an hour. Both officers were fellow Navy vets.

They said it could be another 4 to 5 months before I get the phone call for the training/range day. ???
Old 07-13-2018, 5:34 PM

Wondering how the marriage certs for ALL marriages is working for those who have been married more than once.
Old 07-13-2018, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was wondering if less people are actually applying? Or if they've made less time slots available for turning in paperwork? I expected there to be one appointment after the next the day I went in, with one person filling in paperwork while another was going over their paperwork.... As it was, I was the only CCW person there at that time! I was a bit shocked.....
There was a big up tic after the SB shooting, now applications have slowed down somewhat

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
The interview was just verifying that I had all the required paperwork, answer a couple questions about some of the answers I gave on the form, get my photo taken and get fingerprinted. Including wait times, I was out in less than an hour. Both officers were fellow Navy vets.

They said it could be another 4 to 5 months before I get the phone call for the training/range day. ???
I think they just say that in case it gets delayed, they told me the same thing, and I got my call 26 days later.

Application:10/03/17
Interview: 04/26/18
Cleared background: 05/22/18
Range: 07/14/18 (tomorrow )
Old 07-13-2018, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad89 View Post
I think they just say that in case it gets delayed, they told me the same thing, and I got my call 26 days later.

Application:10/03/17
Interview: 04/26/18
Cleared background: 05/22/18
Range: 07/14/18 (tomorrow )
Make sure you take plenty of water and sunblock.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

Old 07-13-2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Wondering how the marriage certs for ALL marriages is working for those who have been married more than once.
The officer told me that they only needed my current marriage certificate after asking if I still had any contact with my exs or if they would be with me while I was carrying. I think they ask for all of them for those whose names have changed due to marriage.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:16 PM

At range qualification, someone brought a 10+ round mag that was discovered during weapon inspection. The range officer announced he could be arrested. Not sure if actual outcome (whether it was returned, confiscated, if applicant was allowed to proceed or was cited or arrested).
Old 07-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't argue too much with them if it was a new gun.

If it was an old gun that I've had for a while I would tell them that and remind them that the law outlawing all high cap magazines is on hold pending a legal challenge to the law.

Regardless of what they think no one should be arrested as the crime of possession of high cap magazines is an infraction and only punishable by a fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychenc View Post
At range qualification, someone brought a 10+ round mag that was discovered during weapon inspection. The range officer announced he could be arrested. Not sure if actual outcome (whether it was returned, confiscated, if applicant was allowed to proceed or was cited or arrested).
Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Had my interview with SBSD this morning. All went smoothly.

On my application I used, "personal protection" for my good cause statement, which the interviewing investigator chuckled at. He then informed me I needed a little more than just, "personal protection." I mentioned AB 109 and that was all I needed.

My timeline thus far:

Applied 07/11/2018.
Interviewed 07/17/2018.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd1gital View Post
Had my interview with SBSD this morning. All went smoothly.

On my application I used, "personal protection" for my good cause statement, which the interviewing investigator chuckled at. He then informed me I needed a little more than just, "personal protection." I mentioned AB 109 and that was all I needed.

My timeline thus far:

Applied 07/11/2018.
Interviewed 07/17/2018.

We've been telling people for quite a while now.

SD/PP is all they require for good cause.

BUT! They want more than 2 words listed as good cause. It really isn't that hard for you to come up with three or four sentences for your good cause statement.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk