Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post
@endless - would you mind PMing the info on that site? Am currently researching/shopping for a red dot for my PCC.

@crufflers - how are you liking the Nikon? Am considering the Burris style sight instead of the Holosun/Romeo cylinder style as it looks neater and less bulky.
Does the Nikon allow any level of co-witness?

cheers
Jon

I sent him a PM asking the same on October 26th and have received no return reply. His last post on Calguns was at the end of August so hope he's alright.

Old 11-20-2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
They are all about the same as far as co-witness. You will need to buy a rear sight replacement mount with rear sight relocation feature to get the co-witness. I am waiting for one too.

As far the RDS I have, I'd say, a tube style is optimal unless you do want the heads-up type then I'd go for a HOLOSUN or a BURRIS. Both come with a low mount and have better flexibility with existing mount plates for pistols if you move it later. HOLOSUN 507C is the same as a RMR. I like the reticle options on the HOLOSUN - circle, dot, circle dot.

Tube style that came with low-mounts, I have Crossfire RD-1, TRS-25... RD-1 is significantly better and costs more. I have a MRO and AIMPRO also, but they are on other rifles and I don't have low mounts to try them. I think an MRO would be nice, but larger.

Sorry not enough data on the Nikon Spur. Really not too much on the 507C either, but there are so many things I like about the 507C already I give it a pass. The low mount on the spur that won't fit weaver rails spacing and lack of pistol mount plates are significant CONS to me.
Thanks for the insight, @crufflers

Why do you feel the tube style is optimal? Is this due to the durability of the tube design, or more related to the dynamics of sight acquisition with a tube vs a reflex style? I am leaning more towards the reflex/Burris style as they just seem cleaner and fit into the profile of the PCC nicer.

Appreciate the advice - this is my first foray into optics.
Old 11-20-2018, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post
Thanks for the insight, @crufflers

Why do you feel the tube style is optimal? Is this due to the durability of the tube design, or more related to the dynamics of sight acquisition with a tube vs a reflex style? I am leaning more towards the reflex/Burris style as they just seem cleaner and fit into the profile of the PCC nicer.

Appreciate the advice - this is my first foray into optics.
I do have a NIKON SPUR on one PC CARBINE and the other one has a NIKON M-Tac 1-4... it might get a RMR or tube RDS later. Definitely will if I sell it to my cousin.

I use the RMR style on a few handguns... Glocks, MKII, Shotgun, etc... I like them but on the PCC the tube style micro RDS comes up faster for my eyes. I think the height is a wash, so for whatever reason I just see that dot faster on the RD-1 than on a FF3. YMMV. It is pretty close, but worth mentioning I think. Have had the tube style on MKII seems the same... maybe because it was just an TRS-25? I have the RD-1 on a SIG522. They all work... so take it FWIW.
Old 11-20-2018, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Wherever I had a RMR plate, I'd buy a HOLOSUN 507C these days. I love the reticle choices... jury out on the solar crap, but if it makes the battery last long then I'm ok with it. Probably $280 vs. $450 I'm all over a Holosun - IMHO. SPUR's are about $150 if you play your cards right... but read more reviews.