Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 AM

I was all about amd processors. All my builds were amd until my last gaming pc I made the switch to Intel. No regrets.

If you want the best performance and don't mind paying for it, go with Intel. If you're on a budget, amd gives you good bang for your buck.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:58 AM

I haven't built one in awhile, but my biggest advice is don't go cheap on the power supply. Do your research and get one of the better ones that will work with your hardware, or you may have stability issues. I also would try and get "workstation" class motherboards. These two components are the backbone of the system and it would be misguided to cut corners here. Have fun!
Old 02-11-2015, 2:26 PM

Your cpu is unlikely to matter because gaming is not cpu intensive. However, as many have stated, intel is currently better.
Get a SSD. Make room in the budget for it
8gb of ram is what you need, 16 will get you through the next decade probably.
I don't like AMD cards. If you're running single card set up, nVidia is waaay better on benchmarks (hwcompare.com)
Windows 7 and 8 will both be upgradeable to win 10, so get whatever you can.
If you're running 1080p/60hz, you don't need to spend a lot. Most budget computers can handle that easily.
Old 02-11-2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soginator View Post
Your cpu is unlikely to matter because gaming is not cpu intensive. .
That is a very misleading statement. While GPU's do handle a great deal of the workload they are still highly constrained by the CPU. All those draw calls and such are still sent thought to the OS and drivers and as such are routed via the CPU. And as the current gen of DirectX stills sends the lions share of calls though only one thread on one core, it comes down to raw horsepower at that point. Check you system diag while gaming and you will see that one core is doing most of the work. That is all those OS level system calls.

True some games are less constrained by this then other still saying that it's not cpu intensive is hardly true.

And I'm not just talking out my *** on this. I'm the C.O.O. for video game dev house. AND I just walked over and talked to my CTO to make sure I was not putting my foot in my mouth :-)

He did mention that DirectX 12 will fix a good deal of those issues BUT we will believe it when we sees it.

Also we upgraded our dev systems in '13. Here is what we built.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VzWj23

We raided the SSD's and then loaded Chameleon boot loader for a Hackintosh load out. You can boot the system into OSX or Win. From OSX you can load Parallels and get into Win or Linux. Great for side by side testing.

However these cases are a major pain and I hate them. Also the OCZ SSD's are MAJOR crap. We have had almost half of them die! They have caused me a world of pain! I replaced them with Samsung and have not had one issue.
Old 02-12-2015, 6:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
Water cooling and overclocking optional.
Oh yeah make sure to get an unlocked cpu...
Old 02-12-2015, 7:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrex View Post
That is a very misleading statement. While GPU's do handle a great deal of the workload they are still highly constrained by the CPU. All those draw calls and such are still sent thought to the OS and drivers and as such are routed via the CPU. And as the current gen of DirectX stills sends the lions share of calls though only one thread on one core, it comes down to raw horsepower at that point. Check you system diag while gaming and you will see that one core is doing most of the work. That is all those OS level system calls.

True some games are less constrained by this then other still saying that it's not cpu intensive is hardly true.

And I'm not just talking out my *** on this. I'm the C.O.O. for video game dev house. AND I just walked over and talked to my CTO to make sure I was not putting my foot in my mouth :-)

He did mention that DirectX 12 will fix a good deal of those issues BUT we will believe it when we sees it.

Also we upgraded our dev systems in '13. Here is what we built.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VzWj23

We raided the SSD's and then loaded Chameleon boot loader for a Hackintosh load out. You can boot the system into OSX or Win. From OSX you can load Parallels and get into Win or Linux. Great for side by side testing.

However these cases are a major pain and I hate them. Also the OCZ SSD's are MAJOR crap. We have had almost half of them die! They have caused me a world of pain! I replaced them with Samsung and have not had one issue.
It isn't just Direct X that is the problem. GL offers similar issues both under Microsoft OS platforms and Mac and Linux Platforms. The single thread methodology that is.

As for SSDs I agree with you, OCZ is crap. We use SSDs for SANS and the like. Samsung and Intel were the best performing and longest life. They also cost a pretty penny. I will expand your SSD commentary by saying, not all SSDs are equal, even within a brand. There are good chips and there are cheap chips. There are good fast chips and there are cheap fast chips. Finding a GOOD drive can be a challenge as both intel and samsung use cheap fast chips on cheap fast consumer drives. As with all things there are tiers to products. You want the GOOD Fast Chips, and that will cost you, but it will have the highest reliability and lifespan.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
As for SSDs I agree with you, OCZ is crap. We use SSDs for SANS and the like. Samsung and Intel were the best performing and longest life. They also cost a pretty penny.
Yep, sadly we went with them when we built the systems as they were the new "hot" high speed drive and had just come out. They are fast, but they also die fast so... yeah.

You use SSDs for SANs? Have you ever hit your R/W limit on any of the drives?

And OP for what it's worth here is my current running config at home (from Speccy):
Summary
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz 62 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-19)
Motherboard
MSI MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) (CPU 1) 57 °C
Graphics
DELL 2405FPW (1920x1200@60Hz)
DELL 2405FPW (1920x1200@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (XFX Pine Group) 54 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SSD) 33 °C
Optical Drives
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

The SSD holds my OS and the WDs are in a RAID stripe for speed. All my data storage is on my home NAS and important folders are mirrored on the Cloud.

This system was NOT "designed" lol. It was, spare parts, sale items and pulls from other upgraded systems. And still, it runs two 24" monitors, a USB3 AOC monitor and plays games just fine.
Old 02-12-2015, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Nope. The SSDs were for Tier 1 storage on the SAN, somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 Tb in the Raid Array, the Tier 2 storage were high end SAS drives.

However, on average we would lose about 2 SSDs a year. Chip failure rather then really hitting the R/W wall. Before we switched to better quality SSDs we would lose about 6-8 a year. Tier 1 Storage gets used.. A LOT. In your lifetime you are unlikely to hit the R/W limit of an SSD. More than likely you will suffer a chip failure due to a defect rather than wear them out using one disk for your entire lifetime.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 02-16-2015, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Cause View Post
Zalman's a great choice for a case... Lots of features...
The Swappable HDD slots are great.

Also Good choices in your component mix.

Noble
Thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 9:45 PM

I just learned the the Nvidia GTX 970 is quite a bit larger than the GTX 670 was and won't fit my current case. Just a heads up to make sure the video card you choose will fit in your case. This is what I'm running now. Excellent cooling

Old 02-23-2015, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC83 View Post
Check this one out? What you guys think? Super budget but its got the good AMD 8 core CPU and a good GPU

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rJ3kzy
Since your saving with the mail in rebates, get a better MOBO

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 02-23-2015, 7:39 PM

i5 4670k
R9 290

All you need to play any pc game at max.