Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-12-2020, 11:17 AM

Default Target Sports selling CCI .22LR ammo again

The good news is that Target Sports, after a long drought, is offering CCI Mini-Mag .22 ammo again. The bad news is that it's $75 a brick or 15 cents a round.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Already out of stock, lol.

I have a real problem with Target Sports. I bought into their Prime membership last year because it seemed like a no-brainer--Free shipping, discounts on ammo, what's not to love for a high volume shooter? Part of the contract was that they'd send us a mystery box each year with a couple boxes of ammo based on the years' purchases. They've now scrubbed that language from their website and members are reporting that Target Sports isn't sending them the boxes of ammo, just a bunch of stupid bull**** like stickers and keychains. Target Sports also talked about giving their Prime members first crack at any ammo they get in stock, but apparently they've decided against that, too--So now they're just sitting on our cash, with no inventory to sell us, and reneging on a contract that was made between us.

**** Target Sports. Every time there's an ammo crisis like this, some retailers show themselves as honorable and ethical, while others show themselves to be slimy, money-grubbing, thieving POSs. Target Sports is definitely in the latter group.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 10-12-2020, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Already out of stock, lol.

I have a real problem with Target Sports. I bought into their Prime membership last year because it seemed like a no-brainer--Free shipping, discounts on ammo, what's not to love for a high volume shooter? Part of the contract was that they'd send us a mystery box each year with a couple boxes of ammo based on the years' purchases. They've now scrubbed that language from their website and members are reporting that Target Sports isn't sending them the boxes of ammo, just a bunch of stupid bull**** like stickers and keychains. Target Sports also talked about giving their Prime members first crack at any ammo they get in stock, but apparently they've decided against that, too--So now they're just sitting on our cash, with no inventory to sell us, and reneging on a contract that was made between us.

**** Target Sports. Every time there's an ammo crisis like this, some retailers show themselves as honorable and ethical, while others show themselves to be slimy, money-grubbing, thieving POSs. Target Sports is definitely in the latter group.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
I too have a PRIME membership and have had it for a couple of years. I received a "mystery box" early in August with an ammo can key chain, stickers and some .22 cal ammo. The PRIME membership was good until about the end of July when lack of availability made it a non-issue. Hopefully, availability of stock will make it valuable again. My only complaint is that when ammo was available in the last 60 days, I have been able to get it cheaper locally, which has not previously been the case.

As to getting first crack at ammo, you have to sign up to be notified and change your preferences in your account. But you have to be fast! Several times the ammo has been gone within minutes (seconds?) after getting notification and being able to log in.

I would recommend to not be so fast to give a vendor with a good previous track record the boot.

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 10-12-2020 at 2:30 PM..
Old 10-12-2020, 1:19 PM

Not 22 but 9mm lite was in stock, 80 boxes which sold out in less than 5mins.
Old 10-12-2020, 1:43 PM

My experiences with Target Sports have been nothing but positive. I never joined the Prime club but over the years have ordered many cases of ammo with low prices and great service, and have recommended them to others. Hope that continues in future.
Old 10-12-2020, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
I too have a PRIME membership and have had it for a couple of years. I received a "mystery box" early in August with an ammo can key chain, stickers and some .22 cal ammo. The PRIME membership was good until about the end of July when lack of availability made it a non-issue. Hopefully, availability of stock with make it valuable again. My only complaint is that when ammo was available in the last 60 days, I have been able to get it cheaper locally, which has not previously been the case.

As to getting first crack at ammo, you have to sign up to be notified and change your preferences in your account. But you have to be fast! Several times the ammo has been gone within minutes (seconds?) after getting notification and being able to log in.

I would recommend to not be so fast to give a vendor with a good previous track record the boot.
A couple guys on reddit have posted that they received their mystery boxes this month--It was 10 rounds of loose ammo in a baggie, along with all the stupid keychain/sticker stuff that nobody wants. That's just insulting when we know that in the past they were sending out whole boxes of ammunition. Here's one of the threads.

It's true that the Prime members do get in-stock notifications a couple hours earlier than non-Prime. That said, getting notified earlier is not the same as actually getting first crack at buying them. Do you know why ammo has been selling out within minutes of getting posted during this ammo scare? There are scripted bots crawling the internet, just scouring these websites for ammo listings below a certain price, and automatically buying them when they become available. They're faster than any human can be, and they're running 24/7 (usually refreshing the page every number of seconds or minutes) so in-stock notifications are totally irrelevant to them. They'll beat you even if you do see an in-stock notification. These bots are being used recently to buy up limited release sneakers, computer parts (see the new nVidia 3080s), ammunition, anything that scalpers can flip for a profit.

How do I know this to be true? I ****ing wrote one of them.

So that's how I know Target Sports doesn't give a damn about us. They haven't changed the checkout process one iota to account for bots or give the human Prime members a chance. They don't even use a captcha, so even the most rudimentary of scripts can tear this site to pieces with ammo scalping. Free market, yeah, but it's a little different when they conned me into buying their Prime membership and are now refusing to sell me any ammo.

You're correct that they had a good previous track record. "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it." - Warren Buffet.
Old 10-12-2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Wow - and here I thought you were a Good Guy.
Old 10-12-2020, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachu2 View Post
Wow - and here I thought you were a Good Guy.
Are you implying that Iím not a Good Guy?
Old 10-12-2020, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGunner View Post
The good news is that Target Sports, after a long drought, is offering CCI Mini-Mag .22 ammo again. The bad news is that it's $75 a brick or 15 cents a round.
$0.15 a round? **** them, that's highway robbery.
Old 10-12-2020, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

Bots buying up the ammo to facilitate reselling it artificially inflates the price. Yes, economics, etc. But yes, it disadvantages people trying to place orders using human inputs.
Old 10-12-2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Are you implying that Iím not a Good Guy?
If you "****ing wrote one of them!" as you claim, then you aren't on MY Good Guy list.
Old 10-12-2020, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you "****ing wrote one of them!" as you claim, then you aren't on MY Good Guy list.
I wrote a script to purchase qty 1 of a single item that had been out of stock for a long time, purely for my own use. That takes me off your Good Guy list? Well, that's awfully petty.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't even know who the hell you or the other guy are.
Old 10-12-2020, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
and are now refusing to sell me any ammo.
Targetsports banned you from purchasing from them?
Old 10-12-2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
A couple guys on reddit have posted that they received their mystery boxes this month--It was 10 rounds of loose ammo in a baggie, along with all the stupid keychain/sticker stuff that nobody wants. That's just insulting when we know that in the past they were sending out whole boxes of ammunition. Here's one of the threads.

It's true that the Prime members do get in-stock notifications a couple hours earlier than non-Prime. That said, getting notified earlier is not the same as actually getting first crack at buying them. Do you know why ammo has been selling out within minutes of getting posted during this ammo scare? There are scripted bots crawling the internet, just scouring these websites for ammo listings below a certain price, and automatically buying them when they become available. They're faster than any human can be, and they're running 24/7 (usually refreshing the page every number of seconds or minutes) so in-stock notifications are totally irrelevant to them. They'll beat you even if you do see an in-stock notification. These bots are being used recently to buy up limited release sneakers, computer parts (see the new nVidia 3080s), ammunition, anything that scalpers can flip for a profit.

So that's how I know Target Sports doesn't give a damn about us. They haven't changed the checkout process one iota to account for bots or give the human Prime members a chance. They don't even use a captcha, so even the most rudimentary of scripts can tear this site to pieces with ammo scalping. Free market, yeah, but it's a little different when they conned me into buying their Prime membership and are now refusing to sell me any ammo.

You're correct that they had a good previous track record. "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it." - Warren Buffet.
Quote:
I wrote a script to purchase qty 1 of a single item that had been out of stock for a long time, purely for my own use. That takes me off your Good Guy list? Well, that's awfully petty.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't even know who the hell you or the other guy are.
Pretty hard to get that out of the original context.
Old 10-12-2020, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Pretty hard to get that out of the original context.
Then maybe don't go around slinging sarcastic character attacks until you have the full context?
Old 10-12-2020, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Targetsports banned you from purchasing from them?
Nope.
Old 10-12-2020, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

So anyway, Target Sports did have 22LR in stock today.
Old 10-12-2020, 9:59 PM

Yeah, after seeing their price increases I won't be renewing prime. It's currently cheaper to buy from places that haven't jacked up the price even with shipping, and either way stock is just trickling in.

WTB: Savage 99 SN#507612 (buying back grandpa's rifle)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:03 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
I too have a PRIME membership and have had it for a couple of years. I received a "mystery box" early in August with an ammo can key chain, stickers and some .22 cal ammo. The PRIME membership was good until about the end of July when lack of availability made it a non-issue. Hopefully, availability of stock will make it valuable again. My only complaint is that when ammo was available in the last 60 days, I have been able to get it cheaper locally, which has not previously been the case.

I got my prime box today. A 30 cal ammo can with a crappy blackhawk double mag holster and a silicon bullet ice tray.
But there is no ammo to give away right now so...
I wont be renewing prime until ammo comes back.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Iíve noticed that Target Sports appears to have trouble resupplying compared to other sellers.
Old 10-17-2020, 1:38 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I use the hell out of my prime membership. Saves me hundreds of dollars a year.

The last two years, they sent me a real nice 30 cal ammo can with stickers and keychains and a bag of 9mm and a couple boxes of match 22.

I have zero complaints.

Kind of like a gym membership. Some people use it, some don't.
Old 10-17-2020, 1:56 PM

I let my prime membership lapse last year. The year before that they sent me about $75 worth of HP ammo, a couple boxes of 9mm, and some 38spc.

They've done right by me. There's pretty much just nothing to sell or give away right now.
Old 10-17-2020, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Target Sports USA can kiss my ***. On January 22, 2020 I bought a case of "Federal AutoMatch 22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain Lead Round Nose 325 Rounds" for $139.

Their current price?

$459, **** them !!
Old 10-17-2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Target Sports USA can kiss my ***. On January 22, 2020 I bought a case of "Federal AutoMatch 22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain Lead Round Nose 325 Rounds" for $139.

Their current price?

$459, **** them !!
So, where are you getting them for $139 TODAY?

Folks, dealers don't get to control supply or demand. When demand far exceeds supply, prices go up. Empty shelves are NOT a good sign for retailers. They can't sell what they can't get, but they still have to pay to keep the store open. Those that increase prices have a better chance of surviving the crisis than those that keep prices low. When you go from high volume and low margins to low/very low volume, you either raise margins or go bankrupt.

I used to keep enough ammo on hand for a month of shooting. After the last Banic, we discussed the options and bought the biggest Cannon safe Tractor Supply had available. TS5950-75. Shelved it completely so that we can stack ammo boxes three rows deep, and spent 18 months or so buying cases of what we wanted. Our goal was to lay in ten years supply. Every month we bought a case or more. One month, we bought seven in a single purchase. We went exceptionally deep in .22LR and 9mm, as those are what we shoot the most. Now when the grandkids want to shoot on our backyard range, a brick of 22 is not even noticed.

California, especially and intentionally, has moved to restrict availability of ammo to the masses. I bought most of my supply before the ammo transfer background check took effect, but still have purchased some specialty stuff through a local home-based FFL. With the current national situation, I'm pretty much sitting back and enjoying the guns I own, shooting as much as I want, and listening to my wife praise my foresight.

When (and if) conditions return to plentiful supply, buy as much as you can afford on a regular basis until you have reached YOUR objective. I'm planning to retire and leave California in a couple of years. One of my short-sighted friends will buy all my excess at that time, if I choose not to move it all. I suspect the rest of the nation will see some relief - but who knows?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Yea! Screw capitalist companies that do not sell rare and hard to find items for a loss!!

People are so irrational and unreasonable as to be laughable. I remember learning about supply and demand well before I could legally drive to school.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Yea! Screw capitalist companies that do not sell rare and hard to find items for a loss!!

People are so irrational and unreasonable as to be laughable. I remember learning about supply and demand well before I could legally drive to school.
Unfortunately, this is the state of our education system. A lot of people are entitled, and they don't understand Econ 101. Worse yet, some people might think that their hurt feelings trump the laws of economics. We are in a emotionally fragile, participation awards accepting, "look at me" on social media type world. They're not equipped to face adversity, its not their fault lol.
Old 10-18-2020, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Are you guys saying Federal tripled their price to Target Sports? Because I highly doubt it.

Me, I'm fine on ammo. I've got plenty.

But just like Home Depot doesn't triple the price of plywood when there's a hurricane.
Old 10-18-2020, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi2 View Post
Unfortunately, this is the state of our education system. A lot of people are entitled, and they don't understand Econ 101. Worse yet, some people might think that their hurt feelings trump the laws of economics. We are in a emotionally fragile, participation awards accepting, "look at me" on social media type world. They're not equipped to face adversity, its not their fault lol.
So if you need meds, you're ok with the manufacturer raising the price 10,000 percent, just because they can?

That's called gouging.
Old 10-18-2020, 7:29 PM

I still point to Economics 101. Is this the first time we've seen this kind of market behavior? in ammo? guns? gas/oil? toilet paper? Is Ebay based on fixed pricing?

Target sports probably has ongoing orders with Federal, so they have a contract price probably. After a while, what if Federal says we have to increase prices because we can't obtain raw materials, our operating costs are higher, we gotta pay more over time to get the work done, expensive machines are breaking down bc they are overworked so we need downtime or to buy more expensive machines, etc....can they do that? Sure can. If it cost them more to fulfill demand, and it costs more to do it, can they increase the prices? Yes, this is America. If you want fixed prices irregardless of demand, go to Venezuela (or the old Soviet Union), and ask them if they can get basics like: food and medicine.

What about the Home Depot analogy? Well, when there is a natural disaster or one is about to happen, what happens at the hardware store? The shelves are empty. The prices on the shelves are didn't change, but nothing is there (supply issue). Supply<demand and prices didn't stabilize the imbalance. If prices go up temporarily, it helps to ensure that the supply isn't completely depleted. And if someone absolutely wants that widget that costs way more than usual, well, if they want it badly enough and are willing to sacrifice more money to buy it, then they can have it. Its better than keeping the price artificially low, and some yahoo(s) buys it all up and now no one has it (see toilet paper).

Is it illegal for stores to increase prices for ammo in this situation? No one is forcing people to buy at the current prices. What if Federal increases the price of their 22 ammo 10,000 percent, will anyone buy their ammo? No, and other suppliers will step in, people will probably buy an alternative that is lower cost.

Its great you have plenty of ammo! Kudos to you. You did good ammo hedging to minimize your exposure to rising ammo costs in the future (which is here now). You are completely insulated from the situation thanks to your foresight.

Will prices be like this forever? Ask the vets who have been around through the ammo shortages of the past. They will probably say that things move in cycles over time, and they're learned lessons from those crazy times. People on cal guns already report some gun prices coming down right? Are we starting to see some ammo in inventory, albeit bought up immediately. What if I could go to a website where I could instantly see current prices for ammo at different vendors, and I could pay more if I really wanted it...check, done.

I hate the high prices as much as the next guy. I feel lucky to have some stockpiled. But do I begrudge prices skyrocketing and some vendors charging more? No. No one is forcing those people buying expensive 9mm and the latest and greatest DDM4 rifle to part with their money.

Last edited by Peahi2; 10-18-2020 at 7:31 PM..
Old 10-18-2020, 8:00 PM

Many retailers cannot absorb the cost of overhead and payroll when sales satop due to shortages. One of the LGSs here held the line on prices during the last Banic, and would have been OK if supply had been restored in 2-3 months. By month 4, they were bankrupt. Nicest indoor range in the area - worthless without ammo. Guns on 60-90 day waiting list. Bad as it was, the current situation is worse.
Old 10-18-2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Many retailers cannot absorb the cost of overhead and payroll when sales satop due to shortages. One of the LGSs here held the line on prices during the last Banic, and would have been OK if supply had been restored in 2-3 months. By month 4, they were bankrupt. Nicest indoor range in the area - worthless without ammo. Guns on 60-90 day waiting list. Bad as it was, the current situation is worse.
. Its gotta be tough to keep the bills paid on range fees only. Hell, people can't even shoot bc they have no ammo or are in drastic ammo conservation mode.

Most definitely. I can't imagine how they were able to hold it together especially if they were totally closed during beginning of the shutdown. Paying rent and bills for a few months or more while doors were shut and making zero revenue....its amazing to survive that....and then now with poor inventory, there is crapo sales. We are all in deep doodoo. Last thing we need is a new 2A hostile President to pile on.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:32 PM

A storm blowing through might mean a week or a few without essentials, and cause certain goods to become immediately hoarded.

This is a multi MONTH breakdown on so many different levels, it's relatively unprecedented in "modern" times, especially in this "land of plenty".

Sure, no one WANTS to pay a COVID (or election, or... whatever) premium, but practicality says if you want the goods, you either pay or wait and hope prices stabilize and go down.

People buying guns and ammo NOW are worried about what will happen NOW (or shortly), and the cost of being unprepared is higher than the cost to buy what they feel they NEED NOW.

I'm glad I don't have to buy anything (like I could if I wanted to, unobtanium is unobtanium). I saw this stupid coming from far off, just didn't think it would come with a super sized side of Fegg yu yuck.... (one messed up order of egg fu yung!).
Old 10-19-2020, 9:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The last time I bought .22LR from them I paid 3 cpr for Armscor and 4 cpr for federal automatch.

That was just over a year ago.
Old 10-19-2020, 3:53 PM

Yes there is a supply and demand side of the higher prices. But I too highly doubt that the Manufacturer's are raising the cost to the Retailers. They are doing that on their own..Period. During the last INSANITY, Walmart, though it was sparse getting .22 rimfire there. Did not raise their prices at all..Maybe Walmart was just selling it at a loss? But I doubt that highly.

Say what you want about Walmart. I do not like em either. But they atleast did not ever gouge on ammo during hard times.

I will sell some of my .22 ammo..But I want more than 75.00,LOL I am holding out for 140.00 a brick.
Old 10-21-2020, 9:22 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Doesn't matter if the manufacturers don't raise their prices if the retailers still can't get any product to sell. If they can't get any product to sell, they still go out of business. Raising the price to make more profit on less items is about the only way to keep the lights on.