Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM

Default livermore shooting range

last time i was at the livermore shooting range was around 20 years ago.

how is it out there these days?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm, The steel awning that was installed over the FL within the last 5-years is low enough to prevent shooting a rifle offhand if your near six foot tall. This means shooting rifles off the bench only. Pistol range is actually nice, and the FL awning does not interfere when shooting pistols. Most of the staff there are friendly, thou they have had some goofs within the last year or so.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM

thanks for the update. maybe ill stop by there next time im in the area visiting family.
Old 12-31-2012, 3:24 PM

The steel overhang is to prevent people from being able to shoot over the mountain backstop. This range was shut down many years ago due to claims of people living on the other side that bullets were coming over the hill. There are drawbacks to having housing near a shooting range.
Old 01-12-2013, 7:39 AM

I prefer Livermore out of the Central Valley. All the times I've gone have been good. I like how you can shoot handguns/rifles on your lane. From manteca that is my range of choice.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been to Livermore quite a bit. Was going to head there today, but its friggin freezing today!!!

Every time I go, it's been great. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. The lanes are nice and wide with a lot of room to put your stuff.

I've heard complaints about the range officers being strict, but would rather have yelling than blood. IMHO, follow the rules and you'll be fine. Don't follow them and get yelled at-totally justified.

Never thought any of the commands by the RO's were out of line.

By far, my favorite place to shoot. Pretty relaxed place to shoot in my experience. Same with the wife.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM

I go to this shooting range quite often and have not had any bad experiences whatsoever. It's very convenient that you can use handguns/rifles on the same lane. On the same lane, you can do 7/10/25/50/100 yards. If I'm shooting a rifle, typically I would have 2 targets up, 25/50 or 25/100 - depends on what im shooting that day. The area is pretty clean and you cam bring bring snacks/drinks as well. They roof that they built a few years back is better than most outdoor ranges I've been to. Provides enough shade for everyone that's there to shoot. The ROs are typically helpful and, in some cases, a bit lenient.

Yes, there will be individuals that complain about strictness and the fact that they got yelled at - this is the price of stupidity. Stupid people doing stupid things in an environment with live ammo and possibly some children. Getting yelled at is nothing, I wouldn't be as forgiving.

This place is highly recommended. Check ot out.
Old 01-12-2013, 1:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Livermore is a nice range if you want to do target shooting or bench shooting. They are very restrictive as far as shooting tactical shotguns. No shot can be shot at the rifle range but slugs are okay at 50 yards are further.

The sad part is they have no activities. The trap range has a pile of shoots to meet anyone's need but the rifle range has virtually nothing. Nothing like many of the surrounding ranges.

Some day, they will install real restrooms. They keep saying they are coming. It drives so many women away from the range. Other than that, the overall facilities are pretty good.

Last edited by AAShooter; 01-12-2013 at 1:30 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 1:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgs00 View Post
The steel overhang is to prevent people from being able to shoot over the mountain backstop. This range was shut down many years ago due to claims of people living on the other side that bullets were coming over the hill. There are drawbacks to having housing near a shooting range.
I think the bullet holes in their outbuildings made their claims pretty believable.

Old 01-13-2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
I think the bullet holes in their outbuildings made their claims pretty believable.

I didn't say the claims were false. I said the claims are why there is now a steel overhang that prevents it from happening.
Old 01-14-2013, 9:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgs00 View Post
I didn't say the claims were false. I said the claims are why there is now a steel overhang that prevents it from happening.
Understood. I didn't say you were claiming the claims were false. And you are absolutely right about the "No Blue Sky" range being driven by that occurrence.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 PM
In Memoriam

Love that range. I like checking out all the hardware when walking out to set-up targets

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 01-19-2013, 6:33 AM
Veteran Member

I took my son and his girlfriend shooting one weekend and all 3 of us got put into one shooting bench. The steel panels they use between the benches as walls make rifle shots deafening and not very pleasant for a first time shooter.