Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 11-15-2009, 1:05 PM

Default Spenceville range to be closed

Was there shooting solo today. Sheriff comes by. (He was a very cool cop by the way). And he was only casually informing us with this bit of information but he informed myself (as well as another group of people whom were there shooting) that the range is to be shut down. And soon.

Easy guess why; PRIMARILY due to the always-present garbage and general abuse of the range.

He also pointed out to us that the concrete benches that are out there had been used for target practice recently.

And I don't think any of us were aware it until he had pointed it out but;

One of the benches toward the south end of the range had two chunks missing from it. The gouges appeared to be from glancing strikes.

Apparently someone stood in the parking area and had plinked at the bench from there.

Also, there was the issue of the missing garbage cans. He told us that BLM had placed some cans out there only to find them gone the following day.--I think the Sheriff had said it was BLM that put out the cans.--Not sure.

I have not called BLM to check for myself on whether the range is in fact to be closed, for whatever good that would do.

But this is information we had received from the Sheriff and I would guess that his word is as good as anything.

So yeah the range is apparently scheduled to be shut down due to the same-same unsavory behavior commonly found at public shooting ranges.

If true, well...... That sucks.

Oh and one more thing he said he was aware of calguns coming out and doing clean ups. I told him that I had been there with a group back in Aug. I didn't bother to add anything else.

I wonder if the Sheriff is a member here?
Old 11-15-2009, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Haven't heard of anything like that. If it's true that sucks.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 11-16-2009, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Lame, another cleanup perhaps?
Old 11-16-2009, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Nah too late but good news is all the people who are lame f**ks who f**ked it up can keep messing up all the others and get them closed too!! YEAH for all of us..
Old 11-16-2009, 9:51 PM

REAL reason= lazy government employees who don't want to have to work or do their jobs. Let's see I'd rather not drive out there and still make 6k a month retire at 70% with lifetime benefits and go out early with an injury and blame the public for us having to do our jobs. Or we get paid less, do our jobs at a higher level of efficiency and benefit the public who supports our lazy city,county, state, federal butts with over benefitted pension plans and health care. Just my .02 of course but very true.
Old 11-17-2009, 7:30 AM
Veteran Member

I thought Spenceville was DFG and not BLM.. if it is DFG, well, their budget has been slashed so many times I'm surprised it has stayed open this long.
Old 11-17-2009, 8:35 AM

They have been saying this for the past 10 years or so, they have said its over the fires, the shooting of livestock, and the general Garbage that gets left out there, those new Concerte tables were placed there months ago and showed signs of being shot in the first week, whats werid to me is, with all the nuts that go out their and abuse the area, theirs not been any reports of any one getting shot or killed there, which Really surprises Myself, as I have seen alot of close calls out there, even Thou I've not been their on a long time, I'am sure noting has changed, I can only hope they don't close Spenceville down, after all it is the last free range left in this area.
Old 11-17-2009, 8:37 AM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Same thing got Colfax closed too. Idiots who drag garbage out there for target practice and don't bother to clean up after themselves.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 AM

lets not forget the jerks that like to shot at propnae tanks then leave the blown up tanks for others to get cut on cleaning up their mess, last time i was their I took bottled water with me set them up and had a great time blowing them up, and it only took me 10 minutes to walk out and pick up my mess, yet still took 2 full garbage bags home with me.
I tend to shot early in the mornings when its to cold for the the nuts to be there, so its never a problem to spend a little time picking up the range, But even if there were other shooters out there, I would think no one would complain much if someone held them up, a few minutes to pick up at least their own mess.
Old 11-17-2009, 1:34 PM

Look, if we get an organized clean up going I'd be more than happy to come up, go shooting, and clean up the entire range with you guys. I was there last week and the place is definitely pretty trashed, but I have seen worse. I would have taken trash with me but I didn't have any bags and didn't want to throw it in the back seat of my car since the trunk doesn't open.

I say we set a date for a calguns shoot and clean up of spenceville... sound good to anyone else? I'm down for pretty much any time in the following weeks except this coming weekend and the days surrounding thanksgiving.
Old 11-19-2009, 3:50 PM

I'm in for a clean up and I know a few friends that would help too. I was there last Friday and there was quite a bit of trash.
Old 11-19-2009, 4:07 PM

I was there last year and the range was pretty clean and had chained cans with fresh bags, but I used my own bags I brought anyway to clean up my mess and the few plastic bottles around. I was on the left pistol end, didn't check out the rifle end much or what was out there, I was alone. Was a nice place, pisses me off to hear that probably the same dickheads that got Colfax closed have moved to this zone.

I'm in for a clean up, I'm unemployed now and to broke for college, so my time is free.

I could tarp the back of my SUV and bring bags, rakes, and such to take junk to my local city dump.

Dibs on fresh .40s&w shells

Sacramento Photography
www.wolf-photo.com
Old 11-19-2009, 4:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Suck's to hear I been shooting out at Spenceville since the early 90's and have done my share of cleaning and hauling of garbage bags. I also use to shoot up at Colfax and morons got that place shut down as well. Soon enough we will only be able to pay to shoot anymore.
Old 11-19-2009, 5:58 PM

Lets do this before heavy rains begin, The roads to the range are not the most enjoyable to drive. Unless there is a better path than the brain rattler I take.

Sacramento Photography
www.wolf-photo.com
Old 11-21-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedWolf View Post
Lets do this before heavy rains begin, The roads to the range are not the most enjoyable to drive. Unless there is a better path than the brain rattler I take.
The "better path" is going to marysville and going east on 20. The brain rattling will be less than 2 minutes but the drive out will be 25 miles longer from sacramento.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Good luck guys, I used to shoot at Spenceville with another Calgunner here, hoping you guys can get it cleaned up and perhaps convince the gov't to leave it open.

Turby
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

If there is a cleanup, someone pm me and I'll do what I can to show up...
Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Is it still open, anyone checked?

I want to head up tomorrow to do some shooting and cleaning..
Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

I was there this past Saturday (21st) and it was still open. It was fairly clean and was packed with tons of people.
Old 11-23-2009, 4:26 AM

is this the place next to beale afb?
The 45 ACP trail eventually leads to 1911 ownership.
Old 11-23-2009, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racky View Post
is this the place next to beale afb?
Yessir, east of Beale.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 PM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :willy_nill y:

will a range clean up save it or is it pretty much considered closed?
Old 11-24-2009, 1:55 PM

Sac black rifle had tried to do a clean up and had to shut it down while people were shooting to acomplish the task. With everyone helping it took 30 min. Was a great time but everybody that was shooting did not help. I dont know why. If you shoot at spenceville and enjoy it then see 80% of the people there cleaning up would'nt you go help too? Nope! didnt happen. thats why it is getting shut down! Ive heard its not my mess, im not cleaning up after anyone, someone else will do it. Well go find another place to shoot now. All the people that said that ruined it for everyone. Spenceville needs a cleanup every week on a certain day so that everyone knows that the range will be closed and everone can plan to participate. Never happened and we will loss a range. Im sure its not the last. Thats sad to say!
Old 11-24-2009, 2:05 PM

You really dont get much practice out there anyway. Just shooting stuff up is not really learning anything. Try a training class with Stone Cobra Tactical at Sac Valley Shooting Center. Its only 150$ and you learn alot more, its alot safer and its clean. There is a shotgun class on the 12 of december. He also has ar training and handgun.
Old 11-25-2009, 7:54 PM

whats wrong with just relaxing to shoot targets and not take on some tactical coarse?

Sacramento Photography
www.wolf-photo.com
Old 11-25-2009, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Same thing got Colfax closed too. Idiots who drag garbage out there for target practice and don't bother to clean up after themselves.
Too bad it is illegal to use these people for target pracitice. I love moving targets. Salt in a 12 ga may teach them a lesson. Seriously.
Old 11-26-2009, 3:47 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKY View Post
Sac black rifle had tried to do a clean up and had to shut it down while people were shooting to acomplish the task.
This right here says something - the people who shoot at Spenceville are probably generally not Calgunners. Their sense of responsibility and duty to keep the range clean is non-existent. Even with Calgunners helping, it is highly unlikely we can keep the range clean enough to keep it open. We are probably only but 10% of the people who use Spenceville? The other 90% are clueless and oblivious to what is going on.

Good luck, but unfortunately it sounds like a losing battle.

Turby
Old 11-26-2009, 10:14 PM

If you call watching you're back while setting up targets relaxing you can have it. I love this range but in general most people have no clue. They just go out and shoot make a mess and leave. When it gets shut down people still won't learn lol I think it's a lost cause.
Old 11-27-2009, 2:51 AM

Things must have changed in the people there, as the times I've gone people were respectful, all talking to each other and asking to go down range, or usually together, if someone arrived people alerted them that people were downrange before they started any shooting.

Only bad bunch I remember is when I went to break in my XD, a young couple of Russian speaking kids were dusting the ground fast as they could with a shotgun and tossing out their glass bottles they finished drinking, then took off, all in less than a half hour, they weren't there long at all.

I was the last one to leave that day as the sun had set and was getting dark, I cleaned up what I had and anything else I could manage, and enjoyed some night time muzzle flash before packing in and heading out

Sacramento Photography
www.wolf-photo.com
Old 12-17-2009, 6:05 PM

That really sucks. That's a nice range, a bit small, but still, you can shoot out 100s of yards there. I've only been there a few times too.

It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else.

Old 12-22-2009, 4:58 AM

i'll planning to go up there next week. anybody know if it's still open?
Old 12-22-2009, 8:04 AM

Having this same problem at a local BLM spot...Its a great parcel of land to go shoot..Rolling hills..You can set up targets anywhere from 25 to 1000 yards and its beautiful out there...I made the mistake of telling some folks about it and wow..What a bad bad baadd idea that was.They told theyre buddies and they told theyres..and its now a dump. Computers,cell phones.cans bottles, kitchen sink, propane bottles..You name it. All shot up and left laying there..We never used to have this issue..Heck theyre even used to be a couple garbage cans we left up there for folks to throw theyre trash into..But now those became targets as well. Was up there the other day and those guys were calgunners...I could hear them talking about the deals they got off the site.. and they were just disgusting...the guy literally cleaned his truck bed out onto the hill when they were done shooting and left..granted I got 600 plus rounds of 5.56 brass and a whole crud ton of once fired shotgun hulls...but the point is...

"If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge" -Ronald Reagan speaking of the newhall incident in 1970.
Old 12-22-2009, 2:35 PM

Last time I shot there was about 6 years ago. There were two trashy looking guys there shooting AK's, and AR's as fast as they possibly could not hitting anything. All of them were running drop mags. We left after we saw them drinking bud light and stuffing a revolver in their pants with no sort of holster. I haven't been back since, but I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better and wouldn't surprise me if it was shut down.
Old 12-26-2009, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Spenceville was open as of today. Plenty of idiots though.

Quote:
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Old 12-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

I was at Spenceville yesterday (26th) and I showed up to be greated by three Sheriff, one CHP and a bunch of Fire guys. Some idiots were lighting fires next to filled propane tanks and then shooting them to make them explode. The Chief was feeling nice that day and just gave the guys warnings, but incidents like this will surely mean the closure of Spenceville.

There were TONS of cars, probably about 10 that were waiting to get a spot on the line, I've never seen it that crowded before. People were leaving trash everywhere too. :cry:
Old 12-27-2009, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
I was at Spenceville yesterday (26th) and I showed up to be greated by three Sheriff, one CHP and a bunch of Fire guys. Some idiots were lighting fires next to filled propane tanks and then shooting them to make them explode. The Chief was feeling nice that day and just gave the guys warnings, but incidents like this will surely mean the closure of Spenceville.

There were TONS of cars, probably about 10 that were waiting to get a spot on the line, I've never seen it that crowded before. People were leaving trash everywhere too. :cry:
Idiots... This is what is going to be the downfall of spenceville for sure..

Seriously lame..
Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Those would be the idiots I was refering to. Perfect timing by the sheriff though, pulled in right when they decided to shoot another propane tank.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-28-2009, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Those would be the idiots I was refering to. Perfect timing by the sheriff though, pulled in right when they decided to shoot another propane tank.
What car were you in? I was in the silver Scion that was down towards the left end in the 25 yard area.
Old 12-28-2009, 7:16 PM

propane tank? hope they were chained down like one they showed on tv last week and why waste $18 bucks on propane if youre gonna blow that up. idiots ruin it for others.. maybe this place can be membership only range????
Old 12-29-2009, 2:27 PM

Last time I was there, some idiot started firing when we had a cease fire going. My Son and daughter were on the range with me along with some othe folks. The guy next to me started reaming them a new one and they packed up and left. I was tempted to return fire. My Son was at the 100 yard pit setting up targets and my daughter was behind me setting up 25 yard pistol/22 targets. Don't know what I would have done had one of my kids been hurt. I love Spenceville but it needs a range master. Have not been back since.