Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM

Question Why are mags date stamped?

Sorry if the answer to this has been addressed here, but I did search before posting.

During the period in which the 1994 Crime Bill was in effect, it was illegal to manufacture a "large capacity ammunition feeding device", except for export or for sale to a government or law enforcement agency. And this apparently provided the reason for magazine manufacturers to stamp high capacity magazines with "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERNMENT USE ONLY" or something similar.

It is not clear to me why magazine manufacturers ever date stamped their high capacity magazines, but since the 1994 Crime Bill expired in 2004, why does this practice continue?

TIA
Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Who's date stamping?

Even if they are date stamping, what does it matter except to identify which lot that particular magazine came from.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Date stamps tell the age of a product and sometimes additional info about that particular magazine.

Magpul date stamps all of their mags so you know the vintage of a mag.

08/2009 for example

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y
Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 PM

Production control, Warranties perhaps?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quality control

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 PM

They are doing it for the express purpose of denying Californians the ability to acquire USGI mags and then claim they were possessed in the state prior to the Jan 1, 2000 ban date. It is a conspiracy.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM

Who's stamping? Government contractors such as Center and Okay, and apparently Magpul.

Quality control as a reason makes sense, but I wonder about the coincidence with the Crime Bill. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 10-12-2010, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmth View Post
They are doing it for the express purpose of denying Californians the ability to acquire USGI mags and then claim they were possessed in the state prior to the Jan 1, 2000 ban date. It is a conspiracy.

this

Old 10-12-2010, 7:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

fail......how about reading up on high-caps and Ca law before posting...
Old 10-12-2010, 7:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
this

another person who doesnt understand High-cap law...

Guys PLEASE FREAKING READ....date stamps are 100% useless in CA.

My magazine can have a date stamp of 1/1/1972 and its illegal.
My magazine can have a date stamp of 10/12/2010 and its legal.
Old 10-12-2010, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I can replace my old date-stamped magazines with Pmags so the date stamps dont mean squat!
Old 10-12-2010, 5:26 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
fail......how about reading up on high-caps and Ca law before posting...
Quote:

Take a chill pill, homie. It's called a joke, and you failed the humor test. Try again next time.

Old 10-12-2010, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Take a chill pill, homie. It's called a joke, and you failed the humor test. Try again next time.

Its amazing how many calgun members are wound up so tight. Its these stupid guns laws.

-Rich
Old 10-12-2010, 7:37 PM

Default How could a high capacity magazine with a 2010 date be legal?

Quote:

I understand how an old high capacity magazine could be illegal to the present owner, although I do not know how the legality or illegality could be conclusively determined, but I do not see how a 10/12/2010 magazine could be legal. Of course if you have repaired an old magazine with new parts that have a recent date stamp on them it could still be legal, but if the magazine itself is new I can not see how it could be legal (without some special permit or some such).
Old 10-12-2010, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbilly View Post
I understand how an old high capacity magazine could be illegal to the present owner, although I do not know how the legality or illegality could be conclusively determined, but I do not see how a 10/12/2010 magazine could be legal. Of course if you have repaired an old magazine with new parts that have a recent date stamp on them it could still be legal, but if the magazine itself is new I can not see how it could be legal (without some special permit or some such).
Everyone is in fact referring to the fact that the newly stamped magazines are rebuilt from previously owned, pre-ban magazines. The burden of proof lies with the prosecuters and date stamps are not conclusive, so really there is no way they can tell whether the mag was rebuilt or not. Possession of hicaps is not illegal, but once they are inserted into a firearm that has evil features, mag lock or not, it becomes illegal.
Fallujah had become a magnet for foreign jihadists and there were several thousand in the city who had come to make martyrs of themselves, to die while killing as many Americans as possible. James C. Roberts, "Remember the Heroes of Fallujah"

At each house I said a prayer, 'Please God get me out of this one.' When I come out of the house, I thank Him, light up a cigarette and move on to the next one. USMC Pvt. Sean Stokes, Fallujah, Iraq November, 2004.
Old 10-12-2010, 9:59 PM

Makes 'em special.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Other states(like New York I think) can buy high caps as long as they were produced before a certain date.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

The main reason why manufacturers still date stamp is because unlike California, which banned acquiring them all together, there are some states, such as New York, that still allow you to purchase and use pre-ban firearms and magazines. The date itself means NOTHING in California, but to places like New York it can be the difference between legal and illegal. Military contracts will frequently date code their products, both for quality control and contract run quotas but it's not required. For companies like Triple K or ProMag or some of the other companies that may do it just to do it, it's strictly for Pre-ban/Post-ban states.... which again, we are not.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheright View Post
Everyone is in fact referring to the fact that the newly stamped magazines are rebuilt from previously owned, pre-ban magazines. The burden of proof lies with the prosecuters and date stamps are not conclusive, so really there is no way they can tell whether the mag was rebuilt or not. Possession of hicaps is not illegal, but once they are inserted into a firearm that has evil features, mag lock or not, it becomes illegal.
Wrong. Features has nothing to do with high cap magazine useage. That is left over thought patterns from the federal AWB which prohibited magazine capacity size on post-ban rifles. Configuration is the rule of the land, and with fixed magazine rifles, 11 or more rounds is a feature of the gun, not the magazine itself (as per the law, the magazine is part of the gun itself by definition which is why options like the bullet button can exist in the first place).

In California a RAW can use ANY magazine it wants and a legally owned magazine can be TEMPORARILY altered to only hold 10 or less rounds and used in a fixed build magazine. The reason for the pertinance behind permanently modified magazines is so it can not be construed that a seller was importing and/or selling high cap magazines in low cap disguise.

Last edited by NeoWeird; 10-12-2010 at 10:05 PM..
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird View Post
Wrong. Features has nothing to do with high cap magazine useage. That is left over thought patterns from the federal AWB which prohibited magazine capacity size on post-ban rifles. Configuration is the rule of the land, and with fixed magazine rifles, 11 or more rounds is a feature of the gun, not the magazine itself (as per the law, the magazine is part of the gun itself by definition which is why options like the bullet button can exist in the first place).

In California a RAW can use ANY magazine it wants and a legally owned magazine can be TEMPORARILY altered to only hold 10 or less rounds and used in a fixed build magazine. The reason for the pertinance behind permanently modified magazines is so it can not be construed that a seller was importing and/or selling high cap magazines in low cap disguise.
Dude, that's what I said. A fixed magazine over 10 rounds makes it illegal as opposed to a featureless rifle using hicaps. And I am aware that a RAW can use whatever size magazine.
Fallujah had become a magnet for foreign jihadists and there were several thousand in the city who had come to make martyrs of themselves, to die while killing as many Americans as possible. James C. Roberts, "Remember the Heroes of Fallujah"

At each house I said a prayer, 'Please God get me out of this one.' When I come out of the house, I thank Him, light up a cigarette and move on to the next one. USMC Pvt. Sean Stokes, Fallujah, Iraq November, 2004.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

I'm really not trying to pick on you so please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to correct the details because there are so many people who have no idea in regards to our laws and I don't want them confused, doing something they shouldn't, or just spreading general FUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheright View Post
Possession of hicaps is not illegal, but once they are inserted into a firearm that has evil features, mag lock or not, it becomes illegal.
The first 6 words are correct, and the rest is not. RAWs aside, a magazine limiting block can be non-permanently used in a legally owned high cap and used in a fixed magazine gun. Also, it should be pointed out, that a featureless rifle with an 11 or more round magazine with normal AR magazine button release is legal, but with a fixed magazine, even when featureless, it is now an assault weapon (the fixed magazine becoming a feature and no longer an ammunition feeding device). On a fixed magazine gun, the magazine is not an auxilary device but is part of the gun itself as seen with the DOJ's addressing of M1 Garand enblocs being "removable". Once in a fixed magazine gun, the magazine's configuration is a characteristic of the rifle and not an accessory.

It's subtle differences, and it IS confusing as hell, but it needs to be addressed for people that might try to logically assume outcomes with illogical firearm control laws.
Old 10-13-2010, 7:35 AM

Quote:
I don't think you understand the California "Large Capacity" magazine ban.

Continued Possession and Use of Large Capacity magazines is LEGAL.

If you posses a Large Capacity mag, you can repair or replace EVERY part of it.

You are NOT required to only use "Preban" parts (so date stamps mean nothing). Nor do you have to use parts from the same manufacturer.

Since you can LEGALLY replace Every Single Part of an existing Large Capacity mag, you can rebuild an old 20 or 30 round USGI metal mag with all Magpul Pmag parts and in effect have a Magpul Pmag that is TOTALLY LEGAL to own and use.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y
Old 10-13-2010, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Everything is aimed towards CA! Companies are date stamping so it'll be illegal to posses if we had it after 2000!

Old 10-13-2010, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Read THIS and all the links therein.
Old 10-13-2010, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper3142 View Post
I don't think you understand the California "Large Capacity" magazine ban.

Continued Possession and Use of Large Capacity magazines is LEGAL.

If you posses a Large Capacity mag, you can repair or replace EVERY part of it.

You are NOT required to only use "Preban" parts (so date stamps mean nothing). Nor do you have to use parts from the same manufacturer.

Since you can LEGALLY replace Every Single Part of an existing Large Capacity mag, you can rebuild an old 20 or 30 round USGI metal mag with all Magpul Pmag parts and in effect have a Magpul Pmag that is TOTALLY LEGAL to own and use.
Has anyone ever been arrested over it yet? I know hassle yes, from uninformed LEO, but has it gone so far as to be arrested over a rebuilt mag where the police think it's simply illegal to posses a high/normal cap magpul mag?