Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > 209 Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2016, 7:30 AM
Veteran Member

Default OLD QUARRY ON CAMP 9 RD. / CALAVERAS COUNTY

I've been trying to get more info on the old limestone quarry / mill on Camp 9 Rd. for a while from my buddy who works Calaveras.gov. He now thinks it is BLM land, and the Heidelberg Corp. leased the land from them while they were in operation. My buddy gave me the phone # of a contact he has at the BLM office in Fresno.

This past Wednesday I drove out there. We did a bit of shooting there a few years back and could see others had done some shooting. At the time, we set up near the road and didn't do any exploring. This time I walked around the property for a couple of hours, and what I saw the other day ........ Holy Crap!

There must be hundreds of thousands of spent cartridges and shotgun hulls all over the property, which has to be several hundred acres, along with targets, assorted junk people have used as targets, even an old pickup truck someone left there as a target.

As I drove in, I saw a place where people had done some shooting. Spent rounds and junk, and a couple of oak trees shot all to hell.

Drove down the road and saw a place right by the road where there more spent shells and junk.

Walked up the hill on the north side of the road where the mill water tanks used to be. The area was close to 200 yards long and about 90-100 yards wide - level and the cut in the hill made for a great backstop. More spent rounds and junk.

From the west end -

From the east end -

Junk like this all over the place

Continued in next post ...........
* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government

http://www.wnd.com/2008/11/56494/
Old 08-06-2016, 7:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reminds me of the spot I go shooting at in Mariposa, I'm always happy when I head up there, And pissed off when I arrive. I bet my spot is trashed again, Some people are just pigs. There is an oak tree with a huge hole in it where I shoot, Since paper targets no longer work, They set glass beer bottles in the hole now. I always end up with a truck load of trash when I leave.
Old 08-06-2016, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

I finally got down to the biggest part of the quarry / mill site. It is at least 800 yards long and almost as wide. More spent shells and junk and a pick up truck all shot to hell. I stood in the middle of the property and took these photos -

Looking east -

Looking west -

Looking south -

Looking north -

Pickup truck all shot to hell -

Inside the actual quarry. It is easily big enough to put a football stadium in there. It is almost all solid rock so shooting in there would be ricochet city.

On the way out to the highway I saw a couple of TV sets by the side of the road all shot to hell. Nice going a**holes!

This is a great shooting location, but completely unregulated. With all of the rises, mounds and cuts on the site, someone could be shooting without knowing others were in the area and out of sight. It is probably just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed.

As for all of the junk - it is scattered over a very large area on both sides of the road and it would be a monumental task cleaning it up. The problem is that BLM will eventually get fed up and fence it off completely.

I'm thinking a CG clean up is in order, but we would have to coordinate with BLM. I'm thinking they should post signs demanding people clean up their junk, too. I have no experience with range cleanups and coordinating with .gov agencies. Anyone else here ever undertaken such a task?
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government

Old 08-06-2016, 8:34 AM

Sierra57, where is this relative to Mountain House / Tracy? 2 to 2 1/2 hr drive? Rattle snakes ( safe for Dogs)?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post
Sierra57, where is this relative to Mountain House / Tracy? 2 to 2 1/2 hr drive? Rattle snakes ( safe for Dogs)?
It is probably about 2 hours from Tracy. Go up Highway 4 through Angels. Just past Vallecito turn right on Parrots Ferry Rd. Go about 1 mile and make a left on Camp 9 Rd. It is marked by a small brown wooden sign that is easy to miss. If you are coming from the south on Parrots Ferry through Sonora and Columbia you cannot see the sign at all.

Camp 9 Rd. is paved, but pretty rough and narrow. It is about 5 miles back to the quarry site but takes about 15 minutes to get there.

I was back there about 3 hours total and only saw 6 cars go by - probably on their way down to or back from the Stanislaus River.

Edit: yes on rattlesnakes. On a hot day they will be hunkered down under rocks or in the shade, but they are definitely there.

Last edited by Sierra57; 08-06-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Old 08-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

I think I will go over there today and do some shooting early/mid afternoon.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Im fired up every time I see the kind of Sh-- the op sees and posted here. I feel like monitoring the place to see the a-hole who leaves their trash. Pick it up. Follow him home. Dump the trash in the front yard.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 08-07-2016, 6:52 AM

yeah its hard to keep good spots when other just destroy it.when i go i bring a one garbage bag and fill it that seems fair.since am not paying for the rang i feel that good practice
Old 08-07-2016, 6:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by milegetter View Post
yeah its hard to keep good spots when other just destroy it.when i go i bring a one garbage bag and fill it that seems fair.since am not paying for the rang i feel that good practice
Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-07-2016, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

Went a lot in collage, be happy to lend a day off and a day's work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2016, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
Im fired up every time I see the kind of Sh-- the op sees and posted here. I feel like monitoring the place to see the a-hole who leaves their trash. Pick it up. Follow him home. Dump the trash in the front yard.
Better bring a few dump trucks then.

I did quite a bit of walking around checking out the property both days I was out there, and I didn't cover half of the property. Yesterday, some guy I was talking to out there said there are other small shooting spots in the immediate vicinity, but out of sight of the road.

There is all manner of junk, bullet casings and shotgun hulls scattered over a very large area on both sides of the road, and not concentrated on a few acres. I gave up taking photos because there was just too much stuff scattered all over. It will be a daunting task cleaning it up. The bad part is that some people will just come along and trash it again.

Old 08-09-2016, 9:58 PM

Man that's just horrible. When ever I go to a spot like this to shoot I always take a couple of big hefty bags with me and try to clean up a little of the mess laying around.
Old 08-10-2016, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeceerider71 View Post
Man that's just horrible. When ever I go to a spot like this to shoot I always take a couple of big hefty bags with me and try to clean up a little of the mess laying around.
I did haul off some blown to hell cardboard, plywood, chip board, particle board, parts of a couple of pallets and various other scraps of wood and threw them on one of my burn piles.

I'll bet there is enough junk scattered over a couple hundred acres to fill 2 20yd. dumpsters. No telling what is tucked away in small areas on the property I heard about, but have not seen yet.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:09 PM

Supposedly the Quarry land is owned by a company in Switzerland according to a local Sheriff. He was in contact with them to try and turn parts in to a shooting range, but they were not interested.

The smaller spots right off the road are BLM land and some are private property. The locals clean it up once in a while. It was really clean when recycling prices were higher. Sheriffs and Wardens can be found out there often, have been known to look over your gear and will remind you not to shoot over the road.

It's been getting worse over the years since people have posted swim hole and shooting spots on google maps and the web. Also, with the new growers moving in to the county and the seasonal people they bring we will see more stuff along that road in general.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:19 PM

I've got 80 acres in livermore to shoot/hunt. The term haul out what you haul in , not so common anymore.. Just like sense! That land will be off limits to the public sooner or later.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretByron View Post
Supposedly the Quarry land is owned by a company in Switzerland according to a local Sheriff. He was in contact with them to try and turn parts in to a shooting range, but they were not interested.

The smaller spots right off the road are BLM land and some are private property. The locals clean it up once in a while. It was really clean when recycling prices were higher. Sheriffs and Wardens can be found out there often, have been known to look over your gear and will remind you not to shoot over the road.

It's been getting worse over the years since people have posted swim hole and shooting spots on google maps and the web. Also, with the new growers moving in to the county and the seasonal people they bring we will see more stuff along that road in general.
The company is called the Heidelberg Corp. I was originally told they owned the land, but was told later that they leased it from BLM.

Have you been out there lately? There is all kinds of junk out there scattered over a very large area, including a truck that is shot all to hell.

Old 08-13-2016, 1:52 PM

Thanks for the update Sierra57...I've heard of the area, but never been there myself, though I live less than 10 miles away. I prefer using the range at the gun club where I am a member. Looks like things are in a sad state of affairs, and I agree, if it continues, it will be fenced off.

As for cleanup, it really looks like a piece of equipment would make things go faster, but what...an almond sweeper or suction harvester? They probably wouldn't want a lot of topsoil disturbed. Otherwise, a lot of man-hours with a rake, I bet.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 08-15-2016, 4:46 PM

It's the only place I shoot for the most part, up on the left where the tanks used to be. Less people get to that part.

The main section was chain linked off about 10 years ago after they tore down the plant building. Several people got hurt in there. About that time there seem to be some National Guard Interest, that was right before the fence went up. The fence didn't last long though. People either stole sections or tore it down so they could gain access.

Some type of 4x4 will be needed for a cleanup. I have access to a 1 ton stake side, but it's not 4X4. The dump is about 3 miles from the beginning of camp 9 rd. and open Fri.-Mon. till 5:30.

That truck will either have to go to Milton Landfill or pulled out and left where the auto salvage guys can get to it. Otherwise that place is kind of on the clean side of what it has been other times.
Old 08-17-2016, 5:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
Thanks for the update Sierra57...I've heard of the area, but never been there myself, though I live less than 10 miles away. I prefer using the range at the gun club where I am a member. Looks like things are in a sad state of affairs, and I agree, if it continues, it will be fenced off.

As for cleanup, it really looks like a piece of equipment would make things go faster, but what...an almond sweeper or suction harvester? They probably wouldn't want a lot of topsoil disturbed. Otherwise, a lot of man-hours with a rake, I bet.
There is no topsoil to speak of in the quarry area. The only plants that grow there are some grass, tarweed, star thistle and a few other weeds A clean up would involve lots of raking, but a roller magnet would work for picket up steel cartridges, etc.

Old 08-17-2016, 6:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretByron View Post
It's the only place I shoot for the most part, up on the left where the tanks used to be. Less people get to that part.

The main section was chain linked off about 10 years ago after they tore down the plant building. Several people got hurt in there. About that time there seem to be some National Guard Interest, that was right before the fence went up. The fence didn't last long though. People either stole sections or tore it down so they could gain access.

Some type of 4x4 will be needed for a cleanup. I have access to a 1 ton stake side, but it's not 4X4. The dump is about 3 miles from the beginning of camp 9 rd. and open Fri.-Mon. till 5:30.

That truck will either have to go to Milton Landfill or pulled out and left where the auto salvage guys can get to it. Otherwise that place is kind of on the clean side of what it has been other times.
The water tanks are the best area to shoot, being more or less level. The cuts in the hill make a great back stop. 2WD vehicles can make it up there, but only if they have good ground clearance.

I'm sure you have seen the huge limestone boulders blocking the access roads, but people have made their own roads into both the water tank area and the quarry area.

You are saying the area has had more debris and crap laying around in the past? Jeez! The only other times I was there was a few years back, and it looked better than it does now. It sounds like someone has done cleanups there at some point.

Last edited by Sierra57; 08-17-2016 at 6:14 AM..
Old 08-17-2016, 10:54 PM

Who do you suppose put the boulders there and for what purpose? Were they always there? If it's public land who would have this authority?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

yes a number of us try to clean up as we can. but the fools. (liberals i believe) trash the place.
bring wine bottles (lots of them) only shoot a couple and just smash the rest on the rocks.
couple beds on the rd in there. and lots of glass used as targets, junk etc.
one guy brings cardboard boxes from his job, shoots a very small number of holes and leaves.
guess you did not go down into the bottom of the pit. great shooting down there. but somebody might shoot over your head and not know you are down there.
but yes love the tank area, perfect when you want to be alone.
and that first spot there was a party there (bunch of teen age apes and there women) and the jacks trashed the place.

just be on the look out for the cows. open range area.

Old 08-18-2016, 8:09 AM

The old adage "don't crap in your own backyard" has been lost on the younger generations living up here.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 08-18-2016, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeceerider71 View Post
Who do you suppose put the boulders there and for what purpose? Were they always there? If it's public land who would have this authority?
I hear conflicting stories of who owns or manages the land. A couple of people say it is BLM, others say it is privately owned. Either could have blocked the original access roads.

Bureaucracies like BLM seem to operate autonomously and do what they want. They and the USFS have blocked off thousands of miles of roads all over the west, usually citing some BS environmental concerns.

Old 10-26-2016, 2:17 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but if its still private property couldn't you get in trouble for shooting there? Or is it one of those instances that since the owner is nowhere to be found, there is nobody to say no type of deals?

I like to go to Tumey but that place is always crowded and finding something a little closer to home would be great.
Old 10-26-2016, 5:06 PM

You guys are talking about the site of the old "Cataract plant" on Camp 9 road . Originally it was owned by Calaveras Cement in San Andreas .
I have seen people shooting there at the spot off the side of the road and many people just bring junk from home such as TV's , computer monitors , etc, shoot it up , and then just leave it instead of taking it to the dumps .
Unfortunately this seems all to common all over . I place I shoot at in Amador county attracts the same type of idiots who make a big mess and leave ,
Last time I was there someone left a big pile of broken glass from shooting a whole lot of wine bottles .
Old 10-27-2016, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt scuzzy View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but if its still private property couldn't you get in trouble for shooting there? Or is it one of those instances that since the owner is nowhere to be found, there is nobody to say no type of deals?

I like to go to Tumey but that place is always crowded and finding something a little closer to home would be great.

It is, or was owned by the Heidelberg Corporation, but when I was over there in early September, another shooter told me that another corporation had bought the land from Heidelberg. There was a chain link fence around the main area at one point, but you can see where someone tore it down.

I have been out there about a dozen times since I moved to Sonora in May, and have never been hassled about shooting there. I did talk to a rancher who runs cattle back there and he is not very happy about all of the junk people leave there.

Where is Tumey?

Old 10-29-2016, 11:35 AM

how much spent brass is out there i would love to give my buddy a bucket or to for a couple boxes of ammo, maybe do a 50/50 trip up there half day shooting and cleaning thanks james
Old 10-30-2016, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormscrambler View Post
how much spent brass is out there i would love to give my buddy a bucket or to for a couple boxes of ammo, maybe do a 50/50 trip up there half day shooting and cleaning thanks james
You might be lucky enough to fill a 1 gallon bucket. From what I have seen, most people pick up their own brass and I have seen a couple of guys on several occasions who appear to be brass monkeys, going around and picking up whatever brass they can find.

I pick up my brass AND steel casings, and 3-4 times I have happened on a bunch of brass left by others and picked it up. If it is just a few casings here and there I don't bother.

Old 10-31-2016, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker2020 View Post
You guys are talking about the site of the old "Cataract plant" on Camp 9 road . Originally it was owned by Calaveras Cement in San Andreas .
I have seen people shooting there at the spot off the side of the road and many people just bring junk from home such as TV's , computer monitors , etc, shoot it up , and then just leave it instead of taking it to the dumps .
Unfortunately this seems all to common all over . I place I shoot at in Amador county attracts the same type of idiots who make a big mess and leave ,
Last time I was there someone left a big pile of broken glass from shooting a whole lot of wine bottles .

Thanks!

Tumey Hills is off of Panoche Road right off of highway 5 in Fresno county.
Old 10-31-2016, 1:15 PM

Wow... I used to do a lot of shooting at this place years ago when I had a buddy whom used to own a cabin in Arnold. We would bring the 4x4 loaded with guns and ammo and have a blast all day. Neverhad any issues with the law out there and tons of dudes riding dirt bikes. The garbage always pissed me off we would end hauling so much trash outta that place!

I've been thinking of driving up there and shooting for the past year now, I just was a little hesitant as I don't know anyone that lives in the area any longer and was unsure if it was still legit place to shoot.

Good to know folks are still practicing out there! I'm gonna need to take a 2hr drive soon and have me some fun!

Last edited by plumbworker; 10-31-2016 at 1:22 PM..
Old 10-31-2016, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

i work weekends, but could maybe do a sick day, if anyone has a dumpster and truck to haul it with, a dozer to move a couple very large rocks. (access thing) and a dozen or more backs, to do a day--two clean up?

any takers?

as for brass, used to be a great place to hound. but these days peps are picking up there brass.
most of the area is accessible by pu truck. (4X4 helps), the locals you drive by hate you.
them "others" living across the river everybody hates. (think dirty communist commune hippy types).

Old 10-31-2016, 3:55 PM

Im willing to help i have landscape equipment blowers, weedeaters and weed mowers.
Old 11-01-2016, 6:36 AM
Veteran Member

what is needed is a dozer to move a couple very large boulders to allow the dumpster truck access via a paved rd. main quarry and up to the water tank foundations.
and lots of people to pick up trash.
a number of screens to get the used bullets out of the dirt berms.

not much in the line of weeds to cut down. and i would not want to breath any dust from up there. as cows wander freely there. and decades of lead deposited on the ground. as well as who knows what else.

this is a great place to shoot, off away from everybody (so far). even the Sherriff's do not patrol out there, only respond when called out there.

nothing there but this quarry, till you cross the river and get into another county and then dirt roads for days. and lots of dirty communist hippy types.

cal fire uses the place to practice there helo rescues there. as it is open away and close to there air base over in sonora.
Old 11-01-2016, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

I can help any Saturday or Sunday.

The best way to pick up all of the steel cartridges is a roller magnet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman...Wheels/3381144

Old 11-01-2016, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
what is needed is a dozer to move a couple very large boulders to allow the dumpster truck access via a paved rd. main quarry and up to the water tank foundations.
and lots of people to pick up trash.
a number of screens to get the used bullets out of the dirt berms.

not much in the line of weeds to cut down. and i would not want to breath any dust from up there. as cows wander freely there. and decades of lead deposited on the ground. as well as who knows what else.

this is a great place to shoot, off away from everybody (so far). even the Sherriff's do not patrol out there, only respond when called out there.

nothing there but this quarry, till you cross the river and get into another county and then dirt roads for days. and lots of dirty communist hippy types.

cal fire uses the place to practice there helo rescues there. as it is open away and close to there air base over in sonora.
Re; The dirty communist hippies - you must be referring to the Avery Ranch, up 3N03 on the other side of the river. It is supposedly some kind of utopian commune. If you look, there are a few other homes here and there, buried out in the forest, probably owned by hermit types and/or other dirty smelly hippies.

Old 11-21-2016, 1:44 PM

If this is the quarry you are talking about on Camp 9 rd, its NOT BLM. As you can see from the screen shot below it is just outside of BLM.

Old 12-07-2016, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt scuzzy View Post
If this is the quarry you are talking about on Camp 9 rd, its NOT BLM. As you can see from the screen shot below it is just outside of BLM.

I found out the land is owned by Lehigh Cement, who bought it from Heidelberg.

Thanks for posting the map. I'm glad I can see where BLM land is.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra57 View Post
I found out the land is owned by Lehigh Cement, who bought it from Heidelberg.

Thanks for posting the map. I'm glad I can see where BLM land is.
You will love this then: http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

Shows you all BLM.

Uncheck "PLSS" to get rid of the pink lines
Old 12-08-2016, 6:20 AM

If it's not fenced or posted then just clean up your mess when you're done!