Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-18-2013, 8:59 PM

Default Who has a good variety of competitive shooting gear?

I want to get involved in USPSA matches out at narco and need to get some gear. I posted before asking about what gear I should be looking for, but I'd kind of like to be able to check it out before I make any decisions. Are there any shops in the IE or Orange County that you can recommend that have a good variety of holsters, belts, mag holders, etc?

Also, so as not to start another thread, can I also inquire about magazines.... I have 4 mags for my glock 19. Will that be enough to start with or will I need more?

Last edited by ThE_LoNgShOt; 02-18-2013 at 9:01 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

First off, which division/class do you plan on shooting in?

Best thing to do is ask other shooters what they use. A lot of their setup has to do with body size, type of gun, number of mags, etc.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:10 PM

Your better off coming to a match to check out what everyone is running. Most shooters are more than happy to let you check out their gear. A good website for comparing gear is Brian Enos in fact the forums there are geared toward comp shooting and is a great place to start. Seriously though if you want hands on just go to a match. The only shop I know that would have stock of most gear used in uspsa is shooters international and they are in LBC I believe Arredondo is there too. The only thing with those two spots is I'm unsure if they actually have a storefront. There's a match on Sunday uspsa up in Lopez Cyn pm me for details if your interested.
Old 02-19-2013, 4:56 AM
Banned

Actually Turners carries Wildnerness Tactical belts and BladeTech holsters, don't remember seeing mag pouches although they may. Call the Ontario store, ask for Bob Hostetter. Otherwise all the gear is online.

Come out to Norco on any Saturday and see how things roll.

I know Ralph Arrendondo does not have a store front, and don't think Speed Shooters does either with a PO box.

Last edited by HighLander51; 02-19-2013 at 5:00 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 5:49 AM

The Rancho store, there isn't an Ontario store ... :-)
Old 02-19-2013, 6:06 AM

You're probably going to be ordering online. Speed Shooters International (Cal based), Shooter's Connection and Dawson Precision are probably the biggest. If you're shooting production, most carry 4 or 5 mags on the belt and one in the gun, limited 3 on the belt and one in the gun. I always carry at least one more than stage demands....I've heard of magazines sometimes messing up and there might be the occasional dropped magazine
Old 02-19-2013, 7:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hostetter View Post
The Rancho store, there isn't an Ontario store ... :-)
It's on the way to Ontario, in case your left your ammo at home before your plane takes off...
Old 02-19-2013, 9:24 AM
Vendor/Retailer

It would be awesome to have a store carrying some competition supplies but I imagine that the market isn't large enough. At least you've got some great resources online like Shooters Connection and CPWSA.
Old 02-19-2013, 8:20 PM

<< carry some competition supplies>>

Such as what?
Old 02-19-2013, 8:28 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Stuff like CR Speed Belts, different holsters from Comp Tac, BladeTech or Ready Tactical, FO sights like Dawsons or Waren Tacticals, some 3-gun scopes. That kind of stuff.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM

As others have said, just come and you can check out all of the different equipment in use.

As for mag count, I shoot production and use five mags - one in the gun and four on my belt when the buzzer sounds. I rarely have to go to that fifth mag but it does happen. I'd say get another mag, but don't let that stop you from coming out. There's enough 17 and 34 shooters who'll lend you a mag if you need one for the stage.

Lester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_LoNgShOt View Post
I want to get involved in USPSA matches out at narco and need to get some gear. I posted before asking about what gear I should be looking for, but I'd kind of like to be able to check it out before I make any decisions. Are there any shops in the IE or Orange County that you can recommend that have a good variety of holsters, belts, mag holders, etc?

Also, so as not to start another thread, can I also inquire about magazines.... I have 4 mags for my glock 19. Will that be enough to start with or will I need more?

Pistols and rifles and shotguns, oh my!
Old 02-20-2013, 6:03 PM

Shooter's Connection (Not local but good place after you figure out what you're looking for)
they've always had the best prices and great selection.
Old 02-20-2013, 7:37 PM

I think someone mentioned loaners. NRG has holsters available from safari for loan. Check it out.

Pistols and rifles and shotguns, oh my!