Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-16-2016, 8:35 AM

Default Teixeira v. Alameda County: May 14 2018 Petition DENIED

From gene's Twitter this morning.

// SCOTUS docket page for petition for certiorari : https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/17-982.html
//
// Librarian

Last edited by Librarian; 01-11-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Old 05-16-2016, 8:44 AM

Presumably in 15 minutes you can see for yourself at this url:

https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/opinions/

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 05-16-2016, 8:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Texiera

And it's all because of you, eville!

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-16-2016, 8:59 AM

Sweet!!!! I thought this was dead!
Old 05-16-2016, 9:01 AM

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datasto...6/13-17132.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 05-16-2016, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Sweet!!!! I thought this was dead!
Nevah!

Congratulations to Don Kilmer - and you, btw.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-16-2016, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
Nevah!

Congratulations to Don Kilmer - and you, btw.
Just lucky enough to be in the right places at the right times.

Let's hope for more good news from CA9 this week!
Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 AM

Default Teixeira v. Alameda County 9th Circuit Decision out today 5.16.16

9th Circuit opinion just posted today:

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...6/13-17132.pdf

The panel affirmed in part and reversed in part the district court’s dismissal for failure to state a claim, and remanded in an action brought by three individuals wishing to operate a gun shop in Alameda County, California, who challenged a County ordinance, which among other things, does not permit prospective gun stores to be located within 500 feet of a residentially zoned district.

Reversing the dismissal of plaintiffs’ Second Amendment claims, the panel held that the County had offered nothing to undermine the panel’s conclusion that the right to purchase and to sell firearms is part and parcel of the historically recognized right to keep and to bear arms. The panel held that the Ordinance burdened conduct protected by the Second Amendment and that it therefore must be subjected to heightened scrutiny—something beyond mere rational basis review. The panel held that under heightened scrutiny, the County bore the burden of justifying its action, and that the district court should have required the County to provide some evidentiary showing that gun stores increase crime around their locations or negatively impact the aesthetics of a neighborhood. The panel held that if on remand evidence did confirm that the Ordinance as applied, completely bans new guns stores (rather than merely regulating their location), something more exacting than intermediate scrutiny would be warranted.

-Cee

Last edited by ceedubG; 05-16-2016 at 10:17 AM..
Old 05-16-2016, 10:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice!

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 05-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

The post at Volokh Conspiracy highlights several notable quotes from the majority opinion.

Quote:
The dissent does not share our concern over Alameda County’s attempt to restrict the ability of law-abiding Americans to participate in activity protected by the Second Amendment. According to the dissent, there is no constitutional infirmity so long as firearm sales are permitted somewhere in the County. We doubt the dissent would afford challenges invoking other fundamental rights such cursory review. Would a claim challenging an Alameda County ordinance that targeted bookstores be nothing more than “a mundane zoning dispute dressed up as a [First] Amendment challenge”? Surely the residents of Alameda County could acquire their literature at other establishments that, for whatever reason, had not been shuttered by the law.

Such an ordinance, of course, would give us great pause. Our reaction ought to be no different when it comes to challenges invoking the Second Amendment. The right of law-abiding citizens to keep and to bear arms is not a “second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees that we have held to be incorporated into the Due Process Clause.” McDonald v. City of Chicago. Indeed, it is one “that the Framers and ratifiers of the Fourteenth Amendment counted … among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty.” Just as we have a duty to treat with suspicion governmental encroachments on the right of citizens to engage in political speech or to practice their religion, we must exert equal diligence in ensuring that the right of the people to keep and to bear arms is not undermined by hostile regulatory measures.

We reiterate Heller and McDonald’s assurances that government enjoys substantial leeway under the Second Amendment to regulate the commercial sale of firearms. Alameda County’s Ordinance may very well be permissible. Thus far, however, the County has failed to justify the burden it has placed on the right of law-abiding citizens to purchase guns. The Second Amendment requires something more rigorous than the unsubstantiated assertions offered to the district court.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)

Last edited by strongpoint; 05-16-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I love how the county wants to make claims that gun stores attract crime. Which is absurd.

If we're going to effectively ban businesses that attract crime shouldn't places like bars and liquor stores be first on the list?

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 05-16-2016, 11:52 AM

Somebody will call for an en banc.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:48 PM
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor

Sooooo are they saying that Strict Scrutiny doesn't apply even though it was argued as the ordinance's result was effectively a Black Code...and that the district court said they thought it really only rose to the level of intermediate scrutiny but they messed up on that as a court and essentially applied rational basis as they just sheepled the county's data and didn't question its validity?

Shouldn't we get our $ back from judges and our legal system that half-***** application of the law to evidence... and then use our tax $ to sort it out at a higher level? I would think they would benefit from an airline pilots flight prep checklist or surgeons pre and post op approach? The county doesn't owe the Plaintiff legal fee recovery but what about a bad court...in this case it wasn't an error of omission but and error of commission and that seems like a waste of our time and $...
Old 05-16-2016, 1:37 PM

EDIT: nm

Last edited by aboof; 10-11-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-16-2016, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Somebody will call for an en banc.

Of course! That's a no-brainer. Aren't they automatic now for any positive outcome for a 2A case in the 9th?
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 05-16-2016, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Read the opinion. The language seems similar to that of the pre-en-banc Peruta ruling (O'Scannlain?).

Of course in Silvermans partial dissent he plays the "if you can get a gun then its not an infringement" card:

The next thing you need to know is that there is no claim
that, due to the zoning ordinance in question, individuals
cannot lawfully buy guns in Alameda County. It is
undisputed that they can. The record shows that there are at
least ten gun stores already operating lawfully in Alameda
County.
Old 05-16-2016, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Read the opinion. The language seems similar to that of the pre-en-banc Peruta ruling (O'Scannlain?).

Of course in Silvermans partial dissent he plays the "if you can get a gun then its not an infringement" card:

County.

Ah- but what if some residents can't afford the bus-fare to get to those other locations????

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
-Mark Twain
Old 05-16-2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:

County.
That is a ridiculous assertion that makes no sense. That implies that a challenge has no merit unless all the gun stores went out of business, then, plaintiffs would have to wait for the legal system to run it's course, hope for a favorable decision, then wait for a new FFL to open. That process could easily take four years. An infringement is an infringement.
Old 05-16-2016, 3:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
I love how the county wants to make claims that gun stores attract crime. Which is absurd.

If we're going to effectively ban businesses that attract crime shouldn't places like bars and liquor stores be first on the list?
7-11, stop and "rob", gas stations mini marts...I can't say how many times I've seen what appeared to be drug deals going on in said locations...also robberies and fights. Ban convenience stores!

And don't forget mall parking lots, smash and grabs are huge around here.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 05-16-2016, 4:21 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Wins are good, and they feel great. We get too few of them, so I for one will be celebrating this one.

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 05-16-2016, 4:25 PM
Administrator

Earlier threads:
Teixeira v. Alameda (FFL Zoning)

CGF has 13th complaint in a row thrown out of court before trial

Cal-FFL, CGF, SAF suffer loss in Teixeira v. County of Alameda

Perhaps, just perhaps, early losses have other contributing factors beyond the alleged poor filing/argument?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-16-2016, 4:37 PM

David Kopel on the Decision :
9th Circuit opinion on rights of gun stores applies standard, rigorous Second Amendment doctrines

Quote:
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit decision Monday in Teixiera v. County of Alameda vindicates the Second Amendment rights of gun stores and provides a good model of the Second Amendment doctrines that have been developed by the federal Circuit Courts of Appeals. Eugene Volokh’s post has summarized the decision, so I will delve into the doctrinal details......
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 05-16-2016, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Where's the party at?

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 05-16-2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
Where's the party at?
over at kamela 'kamel-toe' harris's house.
Old 05-16-2016, 7:18 PM

Sweet! We'll take it!
Old 05-16-2016, 8:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Where's the party at?
Party?

Presuming no en banc ... The plaintiffs now get to schedule a lower Federal court trial - a couple months.

Then they hold the trial - a week or two, maybe.

Then the court issues a ruling. Months.

Then the loser appeals to 9th Circuit. More months, to accept/deny. Then new briefs - months. Then Oral arguments. Then a ruling - months.

Last cycle took 4 years. 3-4 years again looks probable.

I hope Don is grooming a replacement for himself, for when he retires. Lots of his cases will still be active.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 05-16-2016, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like party at Berger's house.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 05-17-2016, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Party?

Presuming no en banc ... The plaintiffs now get to schedule a lower Federal court trial - a couple months.

Then they hold the trial - a week or two, maybe.

Then the court issues a ruling. Months.

Then the loser appeals to 9th Circuit. More months, to accept/deny. Then new briefs - months. Then Oral arguments. Then a ruling - months.

Last cycle took 4 years. 3-4 years again looks probable.

I hope Don is grooming a replacement for himself, for when he retires. Lots of his cases will still be active.
I know your signature has some variation of "IANAL" - but 4 years is enough time. Are you volunteering?

Anyway I'm not quite yet.

And thanks for the kind words posted earlier regarding assessments of the early stages of public interest litigation. We had some unique obstacles to overcome in this case, but it is in a much better posture now.

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Unconsciously borrowed from: "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it." — Judge Learned Hand

NONE of my posts on this website are legal advice.
I get the top bunk.

Last edited by Lex Arma; 05-17-2016 at 2:48 AM.. Reason: Style.
Old 05-17-2016, 7:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

County.
The problem then becomes if such discrimination is allowed against gun shops you end up with what happened in SF.....eventually their will be none. Sure maybe the existing shops are grandfathered in, but if they set their ordinance such that no new shops can ever be established, eventually their wont be any.

I like O'Scannlians retort about "he wouldn't be saying that if we were talking about book shops."

What if it was churches. Would a judge really say: "its ok to effectively ban new churches because there are already other existing churches you can go to"?

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2016, 7:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
7-11, stop and "rob", gas stations mini marts...I can't say how many times I've seen what appeared to be drug deals going on in said locations...also robberies and fights. Ban convenience stores!

And don't forget mall parking lots, smash and grabs are huge around here.
That's exactly my point....liquor stores get robbed WAY more than gun stores ever do. And there is a reason the term "bar-fight" was coined. They happen there a lot, prolly more so than other common location.

The whole 500ft thing is so arbitrary too. Really....so 446 ft away and all hell is gonna break loose.....but 500ft and all is well?

The contention that gun stores attract crime is also rather offensive. Its another example of no matter much we comply its never enough. After all the hoops we hafta jump thru to buy a gun, with background checks and waiting periods, safety cards, etc, its still not enough to satisfy them. It just further reinforces that they're true mentality is that ALL gun owners are criminals.....period!

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2016, 7:44 AM

What effect, if any, will this have on the case in Pleasant Hill, where the city council rammed through an ordinance that was zoning for gun sales and FFL's, and claimed it wasn't zoning? I haven't checked lately what the status of the case is.

I expect what Librarian posted above is the case. Years of paperwork and hearings ahead.
Old 05-17-2016, 8:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
What effect, if any, will this have on the case in Pleasant Hill, where the city council rammed through an ordinance that was zoning for gun sales and FFL's, and claimed it wasn't zoning? I haven't checked lately what the status of the case is.

I expect what Librarian posted above is the case. Years of paperwork and hearings ahead.
It would depend on the effects of that ordinance. The ruling didn't say zoning was unconstitutional........but if the as-applied effect of the zoning is effectively a ban or nearly a ban then it would be.

And I think that is what many of these ordinances were pushed by the Bradys and VPC were intended to do. In a dense population center restricting something to be away from schools, homes, bars/liquor stores, etc was intended to act as a ban because they know there is virtually no where that will meet that criteria.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2016, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Sounds like party at Berger's house.
Agreed! Without you introducing me to JD none of this may have happened.
Old 05-17-2016, 9:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Arma View Post
I know your signature has some variation of "IANAL" - but 4 years is enough time. Are you volunteering?
Nah. Then I'd have to change my .sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Arma View Post
Anyway I'm not quite yet.
More to the point, I really am. And since I live in NorCal, my choices are probably Boalt or Hastings, not the most gun-friendly venues.

Does the Bar still allow study with a member of the Bar instead of law school?

ETA - it's B&P code 6060(e)(2)
Quote:
(e) Have done any of the following:

(1) Had conferred upon him or her a juris doctor (J.D.) degree or a bachelor of laws (LL.B.) degree by a law school accredited by the examining committee or approved by the American Bar Association.

(2) Studied law diligently and in good faith for at least four years in any of the following manners:

(A) In a law school that is authorized or approved to confer professional degrees and requires classroom attendance of its students for a minimum of 270 hours a year.

A person who has received his or her legal education in a foreign state or country wherein the common law of England does not constitute the basis of jurisprudence shall demonstrate to the satisfaction of the examining committee that his or her education, experience, and qualifications qualify him or her to take the examination.

(B) In a law office in this state and under the personal supervision of a member of the State Bar of California who is, and for at least the last five years continuously has been, engaged in the active practice of law. It is the duty of the supervising attorney to render any periodic reports to the examining committee as the committee may require.

(C) In the chambers and under the personal supervision of a judge of a court of record of this state. It is the duty of the supervising judge to render any periodic reports to the examining committee as the committee may require.

(D) By instruction in law from a correspondence law school authorized or approved to confer professional degrees by this state, which requires 864 hours of preparation and study per year for four years.

(E) By any combination of the methods referred to in this paragraph (2).
Hey! Correspondence school!

ETA2: I'm laughing at all this and explaining it to my wife. She said "I'm not sure I'd want to be married to a lawyer ..."

- Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Librarian; 05-17-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Aw, Jeez....

I'm thinking Izzies.

I'm not letting you savages into my house. You'll drink all my booze, terrify my family, and molest my dogs.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Aw, Jeez....

I'm thinking Izzies.

I'm not letting you savages into my house. You'll drink all my booze, terrify my family, and molest my dogs.
Just another Tuesday, eh?

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Aw, Jeez....

I'm thinking Izzies.

Well Drakes Barrel house might be a good option.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And since I live in NorCal, my choices are probably Boalt or Hastings, not the most gun-friendly venues.
Not sure why that would be a factor. There's also USF and GGU, which strike me as a little more middle-of-the-road.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 05-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
Not sure why that would be a factor. There's also USF and GGU, which strike me as a little more middle-of-the-road.
And JFK, for that matter (more left-ish, I think).

Not so sure about the political stance of USF any more; when I was an undergrad there, lots of the SFPD were USF grads, and the law school served many of those for career advancement. Expensive, though.

Apologies for dragging this off topic. I know I know better.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-17-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
And JFK, for that matter (more left-ish, I think).

Not so sure about the political stance of USF any more; when I was an undergrad there, lots of the SFPD were USF grads, and the law school served many of those for career advancement. Expensive, though.

Apologies for dragging this off topic. I know I know better.
I am a solo practitioner and where I went really did not impact my career. I went to University of San Diego SOL which is a decent law school. However every month when I make my student loan payment I think about the full ride Thomas Jefferson offered me. I wish I had taken it. If you want to go to law school just to do CA firearms law then you are going to need to be working for yourself.

Remember Don went to San Jose State for college then unaccredited Lincoln at night while working full time as a machinist after leaving the Navy. There is no need to bog yourself down in debt if you want to get open your own shop.