Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 AM

Default Anyone visted JG Sales lately?

Planning a trip to JG Sales late this week or early next. I have my 03 FFL and my COE. How is it visiting? Is it like any regular LGS? I've made purchases over the internet so they have my paperwork on file, but I was planning on bringing the originals and another set of copies.

On the webpage it says limit one per order on the 7.62x54R spam cans. Is that the same in person? I have enough ammo but I have two friends that want some. If it's one per than I guess they can split a can.

Any tips? If anyone needs anything that I can help them out with shoot me a PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 PM

I always found them friendly and helpful. It sure is fun to buy a gun and walk out with it. It always seems odd to get more respect in another state than I do in my own.

It won't hurt to take copies of your paperwork, especially the first time you go. Once you're in the computer you should just be able to identify yourself (take your driver's license!). Be sure to let them know at the beginning that you have a C&R and should already be in the system. Otherwise you can end up with multiple accounts. You'll see non-licensees filling out paperwork; if you're in the system you get to skip most of that.

The COE will be meaningless.

The showroom area you get to enter isn't all that big. Most of the C&R weapons will be fetched upon request. There are long guns on the walls and pistols in the glass counters, but most of it is new, and hence unavailable to you. There will be some floor displays, but in general you should know what you want when you get there, because it probably won't be visible. You won't be able to buy any non-C&R weapon. People from other states can buy new long guns, but not us.

Their idea of "hand pick" is different than some places. I think they make the picks when the weapons are received and processed. So paying extra for hand pick means you're looking at different pieces. Either way they typically bring a couple out for you to inspect.

The one can limit will probably apply in person. I generally found everything to be exactly the same in person as it was online. You get the same prices, discounts on multiple purchases, etc.

The hardest part is finding the store. If you're coming from the south on 89 you turn left at the light on Gurley. Turn right on Grove; there's a light where it tees into Gurley. Right after the road curves look for the sign on your left. The store is set back a few hundred feet from the street, but there's a sign on the street, and you can see the store as soon as you turn into the sort of alley leading to the store. Google maps shows them by name, so take a look.

Take lots of money or a good credit card, and have fun shopping in a non-fascist state.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

What about if no C&R can you still buy ammo?

Old 07-21-2013, 1:01 PM

Default SKS

Did I see SKS FOR $499.00. ???
Old 07-21-2013, 1:09 PM

Sure, they're happy to sell ammo to you. They would sell you new guns if the federal and California governments didn't prohibit it.

As a matter of fact they're even happy to sell you magazines. What you do with them is your business. I'll point out that if you're caught bringing high-capacity magazine across the Kalifornia border they had better be disassembled, or you're in a world of hurt.

The only thing that caused them concern with me was a Yugo 59/66. They had to appeal to the big boss in back on that one; he decided it was OK. I then removed the grenade launcher before returning home, and left it in Arizona. Even having the piece with you is a felony in this state.
Old 07-21-2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahayz250 View Post
I always found them friendly and helpful. It sure is fun to buy a gun and walk out with it. It always seems odd to get more respect in another state than I do in my own.

It won't hurt to take copies of your paperwork, especially the first time you go. Once you're in the computer you should just be able to identify yourself (take your driver's license!). Be sure to let them know at the beginning that you have a C&R and should already be in the system. Otherwise you can end up with multiple accounts. You'll see non-licensees filling out paperwork; if you're in the system you get to skip most of that.

The COE will be meaningless.

The showroom area you get to enter isn't all that big. Most of the C&R weapons will be fetched upon request. There are long guns on the walls and pistols in the glass counters, but most of it is new, and hence unavailable to you. There will be some floor displays, but in general you should know what you want when you get there, because it probably won't be visible. You won't be able to buy any non-C&R weapon. People from other states can buy new long guns, but not us.

Their idea of "hand pick" is different than some places. I think they make the picks when the weapons are received and processed. So paying extra for hand pick means you're looking at different pieces. Either way they typically bring a couple out for you to inspect.

The one can limit will probably apply in person. I generally found everything to be exactly the same in person as it was online. You get the same prices, discounts on multiple purchases, etc.

The hardest part is finding the store. If you're coming from the south on 89 you turn left at the light on Gurley. Turn right on Grove; there's a light where it tees into Gurley. Right after the road curves look for the sign on your left. The store is set back a few hundred feet from the street, but there's a sign on the street, and you can see the store as soon as you turn into the sort of alley leading to the store. Google maps shows them by name, so take a look.

Take lots of money or a good credit card, and have fun shopping in a non-fascist state.

Thanks for the info. I'll leave my COE in the safe.
Old 07-21-2013, 1:36 PM

Re: COE

You probably shouldn't trust me that much. ;>) Take a copy with you in case I'm crazy. I didn't have one, but you never know how things might have changed since then.

As a matter of fact, you should give them a copy. It may be meaningless now, but in January I think it becomes necessary, so you'll need to give them one for the rifles you order next year.

I think I took my passport the first time I went, just in case. It's a long drive, and it would be pretty irritating to get there and be one piece of documentation short of a full load. When I bought a shotgun at the local Big 5 I had to show my truck registration, because my DL only had a POB, and they required a street address.

I also called them right before I went, to make sure they hadn't given up on us altogether. A lot of dealers find it simpler to just refuse to deal with Kalifornians than to try and decipher our laws. When you get your C&R package they give you the current state laws. I think ours was about 140 pages. Arizona was about 3.

Re: Ammo

They'll sell it to you, license or no license. But they do require ID for ammo purchases. You don't have to show ID to buy most non-weapon items, but for ammo it's required.

Last edited by yamahayz250; 07-21-2013 at 2:07 PM..
Old 07-21-2013, 3:21 PM

Yeah, I guess I'll just take it. It's not going to hurt to have it with me and I like the idea of getting put into my file.

Any other LGS I should check out while I'm in the area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahayz250 View Post
Re: COE

You probably shouldn't trust me that much. ;>) Take a copy with you in case I'm crazy. I didn't have one, but you never know how things might have changed since then.

As a matter of fact, you should give them a copy. It may be meaningless now, but in January I think it becomes necessary, so you'll need to give them one for the rifles you order next year.

I think I took my passport the first time I went, just in case. It's a long drive, and it would be pretty irritating to get there and be one piece of documentation short of a full load. When I bought a shotgun at the local Big 5 I had to show my truck registration, because my DL only had a POB, and they required a street address.

I also called them right before I went, to make sure they hadn't given up on us altogether. A lot of dealers find it simpler to just refuse to deal with Kalifornians than to try and decipher our laws. When you get your C&R package they give you the current state laws. I think ours was about 140 pages. Arizona was about 3.

Re: Ammo

They'll sell it to you, license or no license. But they do require ID for ammo purchases. You don't have to show ID to buy most non-weapon items, but for ammo it's required.
Old 07-21-2013, 3:34 PM

I believe there are several other stores in Prescott, but I've never been to them, so other people will have to advise you there.
Old 07-21-2013, 3:49 PM

For hand picks they bring out three per order i.e. if you want to hang pick 2 pistols they bring out 6. you can take your time and check them out.

Great company, when I went in there to pick up a few items as soon as the paperwork was shown they had no reservations about my home state. They know the laws and what their responsibilities are and more importantly aren't. When they finished ringing me up they or my stuff in a cardboard box. Being from California I asked if I needed a case and lock and he just laughed and said it's the wild west, didn't need any stinking case.

Brought a tear to my eye.
Old 07-21-2013, 4:14 PM
Banned

Other gun stores in Prescott? That's an understatement. Theres one on every corner. Last time I was there I think I saw an appliance repair shop that sold guns.
Old 07-21-2013, 4:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Take a bore light with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 07-21-2013, 6:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Be on the Lookout for The Expertish! Thought I saw him at the Vallejo gun show yesterday...

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 07-21-2013, 6:58 PM

They brought out 5 different guns for me when I bought my K31 with no handpick fee. I dunno if that was just lucky, or if that is standard procedure.

Are you guys saying they charged you a handpick fee in the store?
Old 07-21-2013, 9:03 PM

They examine the weapons when they arrive. The nicer ones are designated as "hand picks". If you come in to buy a gun they ask if you want to look at the "hand picks" or the rest.

In other words, they designate the hand picks. You typically get to examine multiple pieces, whether hand picks or not. It isn't like some places where they say they'll do a "best of 5". The hand picks may all be gone for a particular model before you get there. You still get to do your own inspection.

Think of it as the weapons being sorted into two categories: hand picks, and non-hand picks. If you pay the extra charge you look at the nicer pieces, assuming there are some left. Once the designated hand picks have been sold there are no more hand picks. But you still do your own selection from the pieces that are presented. You could ask to see hand picks and non-hand picks. If you select one of the hand picks you pay the extra fee. If you select one of the non-hand picks you don't pay the extra fee.
Old 07-21-2013, 9:13 PM

I love J and G!!
Old 07-21-2013, 9:21 PM

Hmmmm.....that is definitely different than when I was there, but that admittedly was several years ago.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 AM

Took a drive out there back in January to pick up a Tokarev and some ammo. Like it was said earlier, its a great feeling to walk in pay and walk out with your items . The people are friendly and helpful. Just be patient it can get real busy at times and you just may have to wait a while for help. The only depressing part is realizing your from Cali and a lot of the stuff you can't buy
Attachment 250974

Last edited by MackMan; 05-23-2015 at 10:32 PM..
Old 07-22-2013, 6:53 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Best gun buying experience I have ever had. It was so nice to just walk in and then later walk out with a few C&R handguns w no wait. Freedom tastes pretty good, a foreign concept to us lifelong Californians.

Old 07-23-2013, 7:03 AM

When looking for the store, it's right behind the post office.
Old 07-24-2013, 9:40 PM

My options just opened up some. My favorite FFL 01 is tagging along for the ride. So if I find anything not C & R, yet still legal in CA, I'll be good to go. After DROS and a ten day wait back home of course.
Old 07-29-2013, 5:26 PM

Drove out to JG early this morning, arriving just before 10. The iPhone guided us to the right spot and the large sign near the street confirmed we were in the right place. As we pulled in we noticed a lot of cars and thought they might be busy. Turns out all of the cars were at the local feed store next door. My friend and I were the only customers in the store. We split up and started filling our wish lists.

I picked up a Yugo AK (which was why I talked my friend into tagging along), a CZ-82, a China Mosin, and a couple spam cans of 7.62x54R. The ammo was one per customer at 99 dollars unless you purchased a Mosin. For each gun purchased you are allowed to buy a spam can for 89.

My buddy picked out a selection of guns for his shop and all was well until it was time to pay. His resale paperwork wasn't on file so they were going to charge him AZ sales tax. They took him in the back room, allowed him to have his business partner fax in the paperwork and it was quickly cleared up. They were very professional and nice people. Extremely helpful. Everyone we talked to were former CA residents who relocated to AZ for better gun laws.

For my gun selections they brought out three China Mosins in the 99 dollar price range for me to choose from. They probably would have brought out more, but I found one I was happy with in the first batch. They brought out four CZs for me to choose from and swapped the 12 round mag for a 10 rounder for an extra 10 dollars.

Swapping the mag wasn't required even though they knew I was from CA. They told me it was up to me to comply with CA law once I crossed the border. They loaned us an allen wrench to remove the pistol grip from the AK to render it featureless. I have a bullet button on order already and it should be here before I pick it up from my buddy in ten days. He has paperwork allowing him to have standard capacity mags so we didn't need to take it apart. He will install a mag block in it for me before I free it from jail.

I was very impressed with JG Sales. We are already planning another trip in a few months.
Old 08-01-2013, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhyla View Post
Other gun stores in Prescott? That's an understatement. Theres one on every corner. Last time I was there I think I saw an appliance repair shop that sold guns.
now that is a state i want to live in i bet the crime rate is low.
Old 08-01-2013, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

i have only bought ammo from them, this time it was a spam can of SKS 700 sealed rounds for 200. 99 for MN 440 spam can. ammo broz wanter 400 for 1,000 rounds of SKS ammo. i like J&G. i admire anybody that found a way to leave CA and move to a free state.