Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-05-2013, 6:14 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_move View Post
To all of you that wish to carry conceald, just join the pd like i did.
No thanks.

Not sure if you are trying to be obnoxious or are you just new around here? LTC is a sore subject for a lot of people on here.
Old 05-05-2013, 6:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Great, where do I sign in?

using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-05-2013, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm sorry to have to point this put this way, but do you have any idea how insulting that statement is?

Hopefully you can learn ....
Old 05-06-2013, 6:19 AM

Quote:
To all of you that wish to carry concealed, just join the pd like i did.
So you joined PD just to be able to carry concealed? I can just imagine how you are going to turn out as a cop.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchung139 View Post
I've done my 16 hr ccw class recently and I've clicked the link in the first post with San Mateo County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms and found the link dead.
Is there a new link? I've been searching via google on it and can't seem to pin point exact site. Even tried going through SMC website. Any help would be very useful!
Another thing, if you do carry, what do you carry?
That class isnt needed for SM though. You'll have to take the SMSD class anyway, which is an evening class with lecture and qualification at Coyote Point.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
The PD will totally be cool with me practicing law full time and never actually doing any police work, right?

Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 08-25-2013, 7:43 AM

so I live in san mateo county now, can someone point me in the right direction on how to get things started.

how many of you have successfully applied for and received your CCW?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
so I live in san mateo county now, can someone point me in the right direction on how to get things started.

how many of you have successfully applied for and received your CCW?
Start here:

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/res...ce-initiative/

Use the Standard Application Form. Follow the directions. Once you have it, call the SO and make an appointment to drop it off. Note that the "drop off" (at least in the past) has turned into the "interview", picture taking, Livescan, etc.

Unless much has changed since last year, you'll drop it off at the SO in Redwood City (County Center complex, 2nd floor IIRC). Do the interview and the rest of the busywork, then wait and see what happens.

Some here have received them, some here have not. Munks does not hand them out like candy on Halloween. He does, however, issue for 'elevated' good cause (something more than bare self-defense).
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 AM

hi everyone. im new to the forum and I just moved to smc. I know I need to have my dl changed over, is there anything else I need to show proof of residency? thanks!!
Old 09-12-2013, 9:39 AM

Updates?
Old 10-30-2013, 5:27 PM

Hello,
Well I read through the thread, lots of great information included.
Just wanted to say the link in the first comment doesn't work. Also wanted to ask if there were any one successful in obtaining their license.

Lastly, is there anyone that can help me draft a good cause statement?
Old 11-02-2013, 4:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDonut View Post
Hello,
Well I read through the thread, lots of great information included.
Just wanted to say the link in the first comment doesn't work. Also wanted to ask if there were any one successful in obtaining their license.

Lastly, is there anyone that can help me draft a good cause statement?
Yes, the link was to old data. New data is being collected and processed and will be posted (sometime).

You do know that the Richards case, suing Yolo Co. sheriff's office, was heard by the 9th Circuit last December and that we're expecting a decision sometime before NEXT November, right?

Unless you have a very strong reason ("Good Cause" -- GC) for being issued a CCW (waaaay beyond just wanting to be able to defend yourself should you need to), you've got virtually zero chance of getting a CCW from the Yolo sheriff or Davis PD. (You show Davis as your location.) If you do have such a GC, you may want to get in touch w/"Team Billy Jack" (google it). They may be able to help you now. Otherwise, you're like the rest of us law-abiding citizens in CA, eagerly awaiting the 9th's decision in the Richards-Peruta cases to see if the federal courts will recognize what the 2nd A BoR was meant to protect: our pre-existing RKBA for self-defense.

You may want to review the info at:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/128329814/...by-county-2011

That's for the 2010 - 2011 year. They are working on the 2011 - 2012 data.

Last edited by Paladin; 11-14-2013 at 4:52 AM..
Old 11-05-2013, 5:20 PM

Gotcha,
Thanks for the helpful information Paladin. This is probably a cue that I should be staying up to date on all the information in California.
Old 11-06-2013, 8:37 AM

FYI, Tom Merson has now retired and no longer handles CCW/LTC applications for San Mateo County. A woman named Veronica handles renewals and another woman (don't recall her name, will post back tomorrow) handles new applications. Not sure how this may or may not affect good cause statements/what constitutes good cause.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

You Are All Ambassadors, Whether You Like It Or Not

Pain is the hardest lesson to forget; Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

Bureaucracy is the epoxy that lubricates the gears of progress.
Old 11-06-2013, 8:41 AM

How current is this information? I talk to people coming through the range for the Sheriff's CCW class, and I've heard what you said, and I've also heard from recent applicants that Tom Merson is still there. I know he only worked part time, but I was also told less than 2 weeks ago that Veronica was not with the SO any longer.

Just curious so I know who to call & pester for my renewal next May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
FYI, Tom Merson has now retired and no longer handles CCW/LTC applications for San Mateo County. A woman named Veronica handles renewals and another woman (don't recall her name, will post back tomorrow) handles new applications. Not sure how this may or may not affect good cause statements/what constitutes good cause.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 11-06-2013, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Tom did the initial screening and interview.
Veronica is/was one of the assistants there and took a purely administrative part in the process (scheduling, payment, etc), so I doubt that she took over Tom's duties.
Old 11-06-2013, 7:11 PM

I posted that the day after I talked to her (so as of 11-5-13). I've left voicemails for Tom over the last few weeks that went unreturned, so instead of asking for his line I simply asked to speak to someone about the LTC/CCWs now and was put through to Veronica who told me the information I posted. When I first started calling a few weeks ago I was told he only works on Tuesdays, and then yesterday was told he retired.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Pain is the hardest lesson to forget; Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM

Ok, so got things clarified - Tom IS retired, but still works there two days a week (always Tuesdays, other day flex but usually Monday or Wednesday - I don't recall exactly which I just remember filing it away that it bracketed Tuesday). Tom handles new applications, Veronica just processes renewals. Apparently, renewals will be required to reiterate their good cause statement and take a quiz at the refresher course at the range prior to doing the shooting portion. Just an FYI for the thread.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 AM

I am by no means anywhere near an expert on CCW, and really just cruise through this forum now and again. Fast approaching middle age, and a life long resident of San Mateo County, how opptimistic should I become at this point?

What am I missing?

WTB: Dan Wesson ECO .45; PM me
Old 11-12-2013, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
I am by no means anywhere near an expert on CCW, and really just cruise through this forum now and again. Fast approaching middle age, and a life long resident of San Mateo County, how opptimistic should I become at this point?

What am I missing?
Waiting for the same question to be answered.
Old 11-12-2013, 9:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

What am I missing?
I would and have become completely the opposite of optimistic.

You're missing any opportunity to carry concealed, legally.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 11-14-2013, 4:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDonut View Post
Gotcha,
Thanks for the helpful information Paladin. This is probably a cue that I should be staying up to date on all the information in California.
I see now that I answered your Q acc. to your current "Location" (Davis), as opposed to where you asked (in the San Mateo forum).

FWIW, from what I've read, SM currently isn't any easier than Yolo for law-abiding citizens to get a CCW w/mere "self-defense" as their Good Cause. So, either way, you're in the same boat w/most of us law-abiding Californians -- having your RKBA significantly INFRINGED by "politicians w/badges & guns" (CLEOs), who have sworn to uphold the Constitution, in the BoR, incl the 2nd A!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

To all of you just sitting around waiting, how about spending some time writing down good causes and sending in the applications instead?

Worst case, you're out $95, but you get a good story out of it

ETA: edited to avoid confusion

Last edited by gose; 11-15-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
To all of you just sitting around waiting, how about spending some time crafting your good causes and sending in the applications instead?

Rather spend the 95 on ammo
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If anyone here has used Team Billy Jack can you please share your experience. It's hard to get an idea for how his process works from the website - reads like a sales pitch.
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
To all of you just sitting around waiting, how about spending some time crafting your good causes and sending in the applications instead?

I would probably caution against "crafting" good-cause on a legal statement you sign and submit to the police.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would probably caution against "crafting" good-cause on a legal statement you sign and submit to the police.
Good point, I edited my original post.
I absolutely didnt mean to imply that people should be making stuff up and lie on the application. What I meant was that they should sit down and spend some good time thinking about their situation and write down a good explanation why they have a heightened risk.

Last edited by gose; 11-15-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-21-2013, 8:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If anyone wants to organize to get more CCWers in San Mateo, see:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=818852
Old 12-26-2013, 5:02 PM

Hi guys! First post here. I'm planning to move to San Mateo from Sacramento in 2014, and currently have a CCW permit from Sacramento County, issued with "For personal protection" as my "good cause". Will having a permit from another county put me in a favorable position to keep it when I move? (the possibility of losing it for moving is crazy to me. The reality that I can currently carry concealed in SF, but not if I moved there, is ridiculous). I am not at an "elevated" risk, and have no plans to manufacture one, just a law abiding citizen that never leaves the house without one.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperite View Post
Hi guys! First post here. I'm planning to move to San Mateo from Sacramento in 2014, and currently have a CCW permit from Sacramento County, issued with "For personal protection" as my "good cause". Will having a permit from another county put me in a favorable position to keep it when I move? (the possibility of losing it for moving is crazy to me. The reality that I can currently carry concealed in SF, but not if I moved there, is ridiculous). I am not at an "elevated" risk, and have no plans to manufacture one, just a law abiding citizen that never leaves the house without one.
"For personal protection" isnt going to give you a CCW in San Mateo, no matter if you have one from another county or not.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Are you required to give up the CCW when you move?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
Are you required to give up the CCW when you move?
When moving out of the county of issue, yes.

Old 12-28-2013, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

If it was feasible, I would commute to SF for work and stay in Sacramento County to keep my License.

Active Junky / Dvor
TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

Stuff for sale:
Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
Kenwood Receiver
Old 01-02-2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSniper View Post
If it was feasible, I would commute to SF for work and stay in Sacramento County to keep my License.
Yeah, but that's not really reasonable
Old 01-03-2014, 6:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSniper View Post
This was discussed a few weeks ago in the License to Carry Discussion forum and I pointed out that Solano readily issues nowadays and that Vallejo or Benecia are a heck of a lot closer to SF than Sacto.

ETA: here's the link: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=862997
See my posts, #4 & 18

Last edited by Paladin; 01-03-2014 at 6:42 PM..
Old 01-09-2014, 2:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It now appears that San Mateo county will only issue to unincorporated residents of the county as a stand alone agency.

If you are in an incorporated city, you must now apply with the local Chief of Police.
Old 01-09-2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
It now appears that San Mateo county will only issue to unincorporated residents of the county as a stand alone agency.

If you are in an incorporated city, you must now apply with the local Chief of Police.
What makes you say that?

Last week I scheduled my range day (called the office) for renewal. My file was pulled up, etc. and nothing was mentioned about local CoP.

Is this for new apps only?
Old 01-09-2014, 3:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
What makes you say that?

Last week I scheduled my range day (called the office) for renewal. My file was pulled up, etc. and nothing was mentioned about local CoP.

Is this for new apps only?
Quote:
Application process:
San Mateo County has developed a uniform application form for use throughout the various policing jurisdictions within the county. This application must be completed and submitted, along with the fee for service. The application must include a written explanation regarding the need to carry a concealed weapon.

The application will be reviewed during a personal interview with Support Services' staff at the time of submittal. Following the interview, an appointment for fingerprint submission will be obtained. An additional fee will be collected by the technician to pay for the processing of the print cards by the State of California, as part of the background investigation. This may take 6 to 8 weeks to process.

Upon determination that the issuance of a CCW permit is in order, the Chief of Police will forward a recommendation to issue the permit to the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, along with copies of the application and background investigation. The Sheriff's Office will continue the processing of the permit for issuance, and impose any clearly stated (if any) restrictions and/or condition the Chief has determined regarding the carrying of a concealed weapon. Reasonable limitations and restrictions imposed on an individual's CCW permit affect the time
This appears to be new. There may also be a possibility that not all city COP's want to get involved and will still defer to the county. The quote above is what i found on the City of San Mateo website and CGF also has the papers that show the same policy county wide.
Old 01-09-2014, 4:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
The quote above is what i found on the City of San Mateo website
Link, please.

I was just at the SMPD website and did not see anything re. CCWs. http://sanmateopd.org/