Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-16-2020, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Default bullet button

So my S&W AR 15 came with a bullet button. From what i understand the bullet button is now a obsolete feature. ?. The one i have was sold before the featureless BS started in CA.
My question is can i remove it legally ? I did convert it to compliant featherless while i still live in CA.
Old 09-16-2020, 1:17 PM

If it's featureless, you can remove the bb and use a regular magazine catch.
Old 09-16-2020, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instaramen View Post
If it's featureless, you can remove the bb and use a regular magazine catch.
Agreed. Some of the M&P bullet buttons can be hard to get off due to the thread locker used. I found using a soldering iron and placing the tip of it on the bullet button for about 60 seconds will melt the thread locker. If it is still stubborn place the tip on there for another 30 seconds. Recheck, then apply again for 30 seconds if needed. My Daniel defense button took a full 2 minutes.

NRA Patron Member
Old 09-16-2020, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lot's of threads on removal of the M&P bullet button. They are a bear to remove. Posted many times (I "stole" this pic, not my lower), is to centerpunch and drill out the catch from the left side. You'll need a new catch but it's better than ruining your lower. This assumes the soldering iron doesn't work for you.

16xKDwG.jpg
Old 09-16-2020, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

All good ideas, i ordered the parts and the removal tool comes with it. I like the soldering iron idea THANKS
Old 09-16-2020, 1:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
Agreed. Some of the M&P bullet buttons can be hard to get off due to the thread locker used. I found using a soldering iron and placing the tip of it on the bullet button for about 60 seconds will melt the thread locker. If it is still stubborn place the tip on there for another 30 seconds. Recheck, then apply again for 30 seconds if needed. My Daniel defense button took a full 2 minutes.
Also, if you put a dab of solder on the tip, the heat will transfer much better to the aluminum button.

Then you will need a new mag button and a spring (the spring with the bullet button is too short). https://youtu.be/Zmqoe9ChsgM
Old 09-16-2020, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
So my S&W AR 15 came with a bullet button. From what i understand the bullet button is now a obsolete feature. ?. The one i have was sold before the featureless BS started in CA.
My question is can i remove it legally ? I did convert it to compliant featherless while i still live in CA.
Featureless configuration of AR15 rifles has been ongoing for about 15 years starting with bare brackets and then the Monster man Grip. What do you mean yours was sold before the featureless BS started?

Just make sure your rifle is featureless and that you know what that means before assembling your rifle with a standard mag release.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Featureless configuration of AR15 rifles has been ongoing for about 15 years starting with bare brackets and then the Monster man Grip. What do you mean yours was sold before the featureless BS started?

Just make sure your rifle is featureless and that you know what that means before assembling your rifle with a standard mag release.
I'm guessing he is just referring to the last round of AW registration.